PDA

View Full Version : Yawn 2 (Updated 11-12-15)

scribbledsoul
03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone, I'm back! This is actually a reincarnation of an old drawing that I started and shared my work in progress here, but never finished. I had a little disaster with the file, and lost my work in progress. I was so crushed, as I had worked so hard on it! :eek:

But, every cloud has a silver lining. I practiced a lot of new drawing techniques, and have, in my opinion, improved my skills drastically. So I restarted this drawing last night, and am delighted with how it is turning out so far. So, tell me what ya'll think! :D

Off to sleep, and I will work on this some more this afternoon! :)

stevemawmv
03-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Well, where have you been? Beautiful detailing....checked out your other cats in your gallery, your detailing abilities are Spot on!... I' am looking forward to the completion of your work.....
Take care,
Steve

Shezza
03-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Your detailing is spot on, beautiful. I look forward to see the completed work.

copespeak
03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Really lovely work. Looking forward to the end result. :)

scribbledsoul
03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the kind comments! Here is a tiny update; I didn't get much time to work on this today. I'm just starting to block in the fur, and I might do some more touching up on the eye. But I think that it is coming along nicely and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's slow going, though! :)

Victor Osaka
03-31-2014, 09:05 PM
Really love what you've been up to. It's going to be beautiful.

scribbledsoul
04-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Not sure if this is really enough progress to call an update, but I got some more work done on the forehead. It is a very time consuming process but so relaxing and fun. I hope to get a lot more done tomorrow, when I have more time.

Thanks for cheering me on, guys! :)

scribbledsoul
04-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Got the other ear started, and started developing the cheek and bridge of the nose. I still haven't finished the forehead on the right side; I think that I will wait until I have drawn the other eye so that I can shade the hairs in that section more accurately.

I know these aren't huge updates, but the work process is very long and intricate so getting this much done is a significant achievement for me. I go back and forth over the fur many times to achieve the look that I want, adding highlights, shadows, and working the strands of hair back into each other until the fur looks smooth and blended.

Back to drawing! :)

stevemawmv
04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Still can't get over your ability to achieve such detail in the fur....
Very nicely done!
Take care,
Steve

scribbledsoul
04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks...my OCD tendencies get in the way a lot but sometimes they pay off...hehe. Though I probably could have finished this days ago if I wasn't so neurotic about detail! :)

scribbledsoul
04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Here's a little update. Got the other eye, nose, and part of the mouth done. I had a crazy busy day today with my niece, so I didn't get much done. Sorry about the dual monitor display; I got a new portable monitor for my laptop (which I love) and didn't realize that the snipping tool would capture both screens. Now, back to drawing, before I lose track of time browsing this forum again! Hopefully I can get a good bit done this weekend, though my husband has the weekend off, so we might be busy. :)

~ Scribbles

stevemawmv
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Scribbles....
Coming along beautifully, glad to see I' am not the only one that takes a bit of time.
Take care,
Steve

scribbledsoul
05-06-2014, 08:48 AM
It's been a while because I've been very busy lately, but I have finally gotten some time to myself to work some more on this drawing. I'm glad to be back!

So, my kitty now has a tongue, and I've been working on blocking in some more of the fur along the right side. It's not much, but it represents many hours of work, getting that tongue to look just right. I still might tweak it some more, not sure. I'll know more about what I want to do with it when I get some more of the surrounding areas drawn. Anyway, enjoy! :)

Back to drawing now,
~ Scribbles :D

MKROOT
05-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Great drawing. :)

Victor Osaka
05-11-2014, 07:02 AM
I really appreciate seeing the work in progress. It's fascinating. It also legitimizes all your hard work (ie it's not a re-stroked/processed photograph). Love it.

stevemawmv
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Love the kitty...coming along smartly Scribbles.... Nicely done!
Take care,
Steve

scribbledsoul
05-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys! Believe it or not, I am still working on this in my free time (which isn't much, lately). Should have some more progress to show soon! (Maybe I will actually finish this one of these days...lol.) Thanks for looking!

~ Scribbles :)

hildee
06-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Fantastic drawing abilities! Any chance of finding out which brushes/pencil/ink or whatever, you use? :)

scribbledsoul
03-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, sorry I have been gone for so long! I've been very busy with church, my band, etc. and haven't had much free time lately. (I have a very active lifestyle.) I finally got a 22 inch Cintiq to replace my old Intuos tablet though and can't pull myself away from it. (I love it!!!) Recently I was digging through my art folder and found this drawing that I had been working on last year, and decided to bring it out again and work on it some more. It is drawn using pencil (pure black and pure white colors) and eraser only, no blending tools. My canvas texture is set to be almost perfectly smooth with minimal grain, so that the detail can show up better. I got just a little bit done around the ruff and starting blocking in the top of the shoulder, but haven't really begun to develop that area yet. It takes a long time because my method is very time-consuming. I block in an area roughly, develop the shapes of the hair patterns, and then begin detailing individual bits of hair, working with both black and white pencils together (smoothing with a soft eraser when necessary), until I'm satisfied with the result. Hope ya'll like it, and I'll see if I can finally get this project done!

Thanks for looking!

Scribbles :D

justjean
03-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Beautiful :):):):):)

vandra
03-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Pleased you got back to it :). How exciting to have a Cintiq!

scribbledsoul
03-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Thanks Jean! Just for fun, here's a drawing I've been working on with real pencil and paper. I'm using a 0.3 2B mechanical pencil only (quite a challenge because the lead is very delicate and breaks easily because it's so soft). I went with a slightly exaggerated art style here and stylized the fur a little bit to make it different. I have already drawn this cat in ArtRage, but I liked it so much I wanted to do it again with pencil and see how they compared. I love drawing cats...they fascinate me endlessly. Can ya'll tell? Lol! :D

Here's a link to the original thread where I shared the original ArtRage version, if anybody's curious. http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?36601-Cat-Watching-a-Bird

~Scribbles

scribbledsoul
03-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks Vandra! Yep I'm excited to be back, and I love my new toy...we're inseperable lol. I think my husband's getting jealous of all the time that I spend at the computer now! :D

scribbledsoul
03-24-2015, 09:11 PM
Getting some more done on the shoulder and chest fur, and blocked in the black parts! I took some creative license and decided not to follow the reference photo exactly, though my drawing is close. Plus, the original photo doesn't have as much detail as I wanted to add, and is out of focus in places and has a lot of contrast from the camera flash. I'm having fun making this cat look like I think it should! :)

Off to draw some more, thanks for looking!

~Scribbles

scribbledsoul
03-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Got some more done! I'll draw more of the cat before I finish smoothing and shading the new area. I think it's going well! :)

~Scribbles

Saphire
03-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Scribbles, this is looking amazing, my kind of intricate detail I can't wait to see it finished.

scribbledsoul
03-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks! I can't wait to finish it too! :)

scribbledsoul
04-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Almost there! :D

Delofasht
04-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Oh gods it's soooooooooooooo good! Nicely done with these pens, it must take some intense patience to put it all in one line at a time, but so rewarding, can't wait for the finish now!

Enug
04-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Just wonderful - how I wish I could do something like that.

scribbledsoul
04-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys! It does take lots of patience lol :)

scribbledsoul
11-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Yayyy!!! Finally done! This was completed a bit at a time, in between other projects. I don't know whether to be happy or sad that I finally finished this; it became an old friend. Hope ya'll like it! :D

Caesar
11-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Well done! A greatly accurate job! :eek::cool: A pity kitty got bored in the process ... LOL:o;)

scribbledsoul
11-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Lol Caesar and thanks! :D