PDA

View Full Version : Artrage 3 Oil Brush vs Artrage 4's

Polioliolio
03-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Since I upgraded to 4, I've been doing sketching and inking.. I haven't noticed until getting to the painting now, that that paintbrush tool feels quite a bit different to me.

First off, I've noticed the paint doesn't want to blend as easily... I believe that's because it's no longer automatically rotating as it used to...
I appreciate the realtime stylus rotation sensing, but personally I'm never going to be whipping it around like that. Is there a way I can set Art Rage 4's brush to behave like that in Art Rage 3?

Also, if I wanted to emulate the old brush style, what should I do with rotation and stiffness?

HannahRage
04-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Are you able to provide any specific examples? I opened up both and tried it out, and couldn't spot any differences. It may be that you're just picking up on finer nuances than I am, but we may be looking at different things.

It's worth checking that you're using the same settings on both. The default settings are:

Pressure: 50%
Thinners: 25%
Loading: 50%

The default Rotation and Stiffness settings should mimic the ArtRage 3 brush at 0% and 50% respectively. So that is a good setting to leave them on.

As for rotation:

The brush rotates according to Tilt for most people in both 3 and 4. ArtRage 4 does support barrel rotation, but if you're not actually using a stylus with this feature then that won't be an issue. If Rotation is set at 0% then you shouldn't be seeing "flopping around" unless something else is going on.

Does your stylus support rotation? What exactly are you seeing?

(P.S. Moving this down to the Technical section)

Polioliolio
04-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Hm.. Let me put it this way. Can I turn off barrel rotation?

I liked how in 3, the paint brush cursor would rotate as you painted arcs or changed direction. It realigns itself.

In Art Rage 4, it isn't automatically doing this, and to get that same effect, I need to rotate my entire stylus. I'm using an Intuos 3 by the way.

Someonesane
04-05-2014, 04:35 AM
Have you tried the Stylus Properties panel? If not, try this:

1 - Select the Oil Brush tool
2 - Open the settings panel and click on the menu tab (Point 1, in the attached image below)
3 - Select the "Set Stylus Properties" option (Point 2), to open the "Stylus Properties" panel.
4 - Remove the "Rotation" property, by clicking on the "X" (Point 3). You can always add it back later, if need be.
5 - Accept the changes by clicking "OK" (Point 4).

mikecur
04-05-2014, 08:22 AM
In ArtRage Studio Pro (3.5.5) and prior, when using the oil brush, outline mode, it rotated to match the direction of the stroke. If you made an "X" from 11 to 5, then 1 to 7 both strokes would be the same width at the widest part.

In ArtRage 4 I cannot get the brush head to behave the same way. It is fixed. Therefore with the Aspect, Rotation and Stiffness settings at 50, 85, 50 an "X" made the same as above would result in a thick stroke from 1 to 7, and a thin stroke from 11 to 5. This brush head would be a oval shape, with the long axis running from Northeast to southwest, the short axis from Northwest to Southeast.

All this was true whether a square or a round brush.

I liked the way it was before because it mimicked rolling the brush barrel in your fingertips.

I'm using a Wacom, Bamboo on a Mac, OS X.

Someonesane
04-05-2014, 09:16 AM
The Aspect setting being anything lower than 100%, will cause the brush stroke to become thinner when drawn at certain angles. It's like writing with a calligraphy pen. The angle you hold your pen in relation to the tablet controls the angle of the brush direction. By setting the Aspect to 100%, you'll be forcing ArtRage to keep the brush held perfectly perpendicular to the canvas, so the tool should then respond (in terms of brush angle) like ArtRage 3 and lower (which, from testing it just now, is true on my end).

mikecur
04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Someonesane,
I see what you mean. "Aspect" wasn't on the brush settings palette in 3. I got used to the oval brush or flat brush rotating to the stroke direction. In 4 you have a round brush at Aspect 100 but it makes the same kind of strokes as in 3. It was just something I got used to in 3. In my old age, I must becoming resistant to change.

Polioliolio
04-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Have you tried the Stylus Properties panel? If not, try this:

1 - Select the Oil Brush tool
2 - Open the settings panel and click on the menu tab (Point 1, in the attached image below)
3 - Select the "Set Stylus Properties" option (Point 2), to open the "Stylus Properties" panel.
4 - Remove the "Rotation" property, by clicking on the "X" (Point 3). You can always add it back later, if need be.
5 - Accept the changes by clicking "OK" (Point 4).

Thanks a lot for showing me this, but I'm afraid it didn't change anything... When I turn off That rotation from the panel, it still rotates when I rotate my stylus.. So not noticing a different effect on it by changing that.
I'm a bit confused by all the rotation features here.. I just want it to behave like 3.5

Someonesane,
I see what you mean. "Aspect" wasn't on the brush settings palette in 3. I got used to the oval brush or flat brush rotating to the stroke direction. In 4 you have a round brush at Aspect 100 but it makes the same kind of strokes as in 3. It was just something I got used to in 3. In my old age, I must becoming resistant to change.

Yeah.. I think that's what's going on for me too... I just wish it was rotating in the direction of the stroke like it did before. It helped me fill in objects when I could see the shape of the cursor rotating with it....
But I guess if it's technically the same, just without a rotating cursor as a guide, I should try to adjust.. Hm. Let me know if you do anything Mike, that makes it feel, or appear more like the old brush.

Markgd
03-22-2018, 03:33 AM
Hi.
I noticed the same problem.
I still do not understand if this is partly caused by my tablet not supporting tilt and rotation (intuos pen small, ctl-480). I mean, do users with more advanced tablets see the cursor rotating real-time?

Anyway, let my say this: I did try artrage 3, and it was very comfortable with the live rotating cursor. Version 5 just doesn't feel the same. It's difficult to paint without the rotating cursor.

If it doesn't depend on the pen tablet, I can't see why the feature was taken away.

If it does depend on it, please, please, please put an option back to have the rotating cursor. It would be kind towards users like me who at the moment can't afford a better tablet.

Looking forward to hear from an admin... please!
Many thanks

HannahRage
03-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Setting Aspect to 100% will give you exactly the same behaviour from ArtRage 3, but without a cursor visibly rotating. ArtRage 3 used to have a single round brush without a thin edge, so the rotation was 'virtual', to help you imagine what the brush was doing. ArtRage 4 and 5 allow you to control how thin one edge is, so the direction of your stroke may product different results.

True rotation (using tilt or barrel rotation) was also added in ArtRage 4, it just does not appear to do anything if you are using 100% Aspect or do not have a tilt sensitive stylus. Which is the same behaviour you would have in ArtRage 3.

Markgd
03-23-2018, 02:30 AM
Setting Aspect to 100% will give you exactly the same behaviour from ArtRage 3, but without a cursor visibly rotating. ArtRage 3 used to have a single round brush without a thin edge, so the rotation was 'virtual', to help you imagine what the brush was doing. ArtRage 4 and 5 allow you to control how thin one edge is, so the direction of your stroke may product different results.

True rotation (using tilt or barrel rotation) was also added in ArtRage 4, it just does not appear to do anything if you are using 100% Aspect or do not have a tilt sensitive stylus. Which is the same behaviour you would have in ArtRage 3.

Thank you, Hannah.

So, the rotating cursor will not be there even if I buy a graphic tablet which supports tilt and barrel rotation?

HannahRage
03-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Hannah.

So, the rotating cursor will not be there even if I buy a graphic tablet which supports tilt and barrel rotation?

You will see a rotating cursor, but for different reasons, so it won't be exactly the same as in ArtRage 3 (well, you might not be able to tell a difference. It follows direction or tilt. AR3 had no tilt, so it didn't need to allow any variation in the cursor display for that).

Markgd
03-23-2018, 11:36 PM
Thanks again! (y)