PDA

View Full Version : Good Cheap Tablet

fraser_paice
03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
A while back I broke the pen for my Wacom Intuos 4. As a standby a bought a Monoprice tablet, it was half the price of a new pen for the Wacom. Surprisingly good quality and well made with specs that compare to a Wacom. If you need a cheap tablet I'd recommend one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-10x6-25-Graphic-Drawing-Programmable/dp/B004C4ZT0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394281019&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice

screenpainter
03-09-2014, 01:47 AM
wow. can you notice much of a difference between your wacom and the new tablet in ArtRage?

fraser_paice
03-09-2014, 03:44 AM
wow. can you notice much of a difference between your wacom and the new tablet in ArtRage?

Not a lot to be honest mate, someone with a more demanding talent than me might, but, the wacom pen does feel nicer to hold and the overall build quality is undoubtedly better, but it cost me well over 10 times as much. The Wacom is not 10 times better.

D Akey
03-09-2014, 04:00 AM
I just looked it up and it is compatible with Macs -- Snow Leopard and later. And the replacement tips are a 10 pack for 79 cents.

And I have never seen one in real life, and this is the first I heard of it.

Looks like they are a seller? They carry a lot of products which they say are the best prices around. Manufacturers tend not to compete with people selling their products as an incentive to carry their products. So since they are mentioning great prices, they may have contracted for a bunch of them to sell themselves. I wonder if they have customer service should something go wrong. Just musing aloud here. Replacement only?

Anyway, that price is really appealing, without a doubt.

When I upgrade though, I want to get one of those rigs where you're drawing onto the screen. I have an old dinky 4x5 (?) Wacom Graphire and never really used it. So I would have to try getting comfortable with that to see if I can even like a tablet no matter price and size. I see people using them all the time though, so it must be just a matter of using it regularly.

Thanks F-P. This is very encouraging.

fraser_paice
03-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Having investigated, I think the manufacturer is Huion, a number of companies brand it for themselves. Monoprice is cheapest. You can get a (allegedly better) spare pen for £17.00. I'm with you on the Cintiq style thing it's on my wish list too.

screenpainter
03-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks. I am in need of a new tablet since my graphire wireless won't seem to charge up anymore. I suppose I could try replacing the charger, but I might go with the temporary fix of using the cheap tablet or maybe even the little wacom bamboo cheapie which goes for 79.00. still debating. thanks for the info.

hinket
03-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Hey Screenpainter,
I have that problem with my Graphire Wireless.
It is the battery thatís finished, wonít charge any more.
You can get a new battery here:
http://www.amazon.com/CTE630BT-Graphire-Wireless-CTE-630BT-CTE-620BT/dp/B002MQ4LJQ/ref=pd_cp_cps_0#productDetails

Iím going to try ordering it, and hopefully theyíll ship it to Canada. :)

screenpainter
03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
you know that might be worth a try Hinket. thanks for that idea as well. probably worth the 20 bucks or so to find out. never had any other problems with it. they are going for over 130.00 on Amazon. wow. worth more than I thought for an oldie but goodie.

EDIT: So I go to check my battery just to see how to replace it and the thing uncouples way too easily. snap it back together with the little white connection and the Wacom appears to be charging again. will see if it actually holds a full charge, but it looks like I am back in business. Duh. wow.

kenmo
03-18-2014, 06:55 AM
A while back I broke the pen for my Wacom Intuos 4. As a standby a bought a Monoprice tablet, it was half the price of a new pen for the Wacom. Surprisingly good quality and well made with specs that compare to a Wacom. If you need a cheap tablet I'd recommend one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-10x6-25-Graphic-Drawing-Programmable/dp/B004C4ZT0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394281019&sr=8-3&keywords=monoprice

Good to know...thanks for the tip....

Gms9810
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I just bought my Intuos and gave my bamboo to my wife but methinks I might keep an eye open and get one for a spare if I get the chance. I have 2 Windows machines and two Linux machines. The Linux ones won't see my Intuos because it's too new. It will be supported in the next release, April.

Henry Stahle
03-19-2014, 06:40 AM
This is the link. (http://frenden.com/tagged/review) Check it out. It's Worth it.

By the way. I have had 2 Intous tablets. My second is the Intous 4 and I use one pen nib each 6 months (about). I still have not used all that came in the pen holder. They really last long. Great quality I think.

D Akey
03-19-2014, 07:14 AM
That looks really cool Henry!

I have to find out whether it is compatible with Mac computers as well as how hot it gets for resting one's hand on it. I don't do well with heat and the iMac I have is like a skillet. So I couldn't use the iPen because of general discomfort no matter how appealing it is that I could draw on my 27" screen. So this is now looking better and better as the technological advancements sift in.

fraser_paice
03-19-2014, 10:29 PM
That is interesting, Wacom do make great products but I do think they keep the price high as a marketing ploy rather than reflecting the actual cost. If Monoprice can stir them up a bit, it will be better for us.

Enug
03-31-2014, 06:51 PM
On the subject of cheap graphic tablets - I bought a Huion H610 just before Christmas. Previously I had a Bamboo One and was planning on getting a larger Intuos Pro. The Huion I bought for under $70AUD - I use it every day and have no problems whatsoever. I'm a hobbyist not an artist.:)

I'm blocked from posting a link but I bought it from the Huion website.

Some of the specs are:-

Active Area 10" x 6"
Hand Input Resolution 4000 LPI (Lines Per Inch)
Report Rate 220 RPS
Express Keys 8 Express keys
Function Keys 16 Function keys
Pressure Sensitivity 2048 Levels

hildee
04-01-2014, 12:38 AM
That 19" Monoprice one looks really interesting. Spent about 1/2 hour going off on tangents looking at videos about it. Another temptation! :rolleyes: :D