PDA

View Full Version : From a request in Art Projects intriguing me for a new style

Caesar
03-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Here it is ... hope You like ...

jmac
03-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Nicely done!

Caesar
03-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Thank You, dear Jmac! I just noticed I left three three short lines I'd better blend with the wet knife and a little, but too evident flaw though ....

gxhpainter2
03-07-2014, 05:40 AM
dear Caesar, this is a very impressive work!! the only lines I noticed where on the neck and collar line but hardly a distraction I think they fit with the overall work, after all your cartoon character work lately it is easy to forget you have a tremendous talent for the pure painting as well.. I like the yellow ochre color against the black and white... gives it a feeling of age and rich character.

Caesar
03-07-2014, 08:56 AM
I used pencil traits and chalk here, dear Gary, on a background I derived by Markal, an old mate, which I modified and chromatically tuned a little bit. Thank You for Your most encouraging words!

justjean
03-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Great use of the tools, Caesar , I like it :)

coops
03-08-2014, 01:30 AM
This is great Cesare, well done:)

copespeak
03-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Yes, exceptionally well done Caesar! :cool:

Caesar
03-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Thank You, dear Jean, Katie and Robyn! So nice to have Your appreciation. Thanks!

pat1940
03-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Lovely work dear Caesar, always a treat to view all your paintings and drawings

AndreaMG
03-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Very cool Dear Cesare! :cool:

D Akey
03-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Cool. I like it. I'm sure it resembles the model. I did see the photo, but didn't compare it side by side. This drawing unto itself is a little distorted but not in a way that makes it look less than correct. More like a caricature style vision taken toward a finished portrait using a technique that relies heavily on drawing. Lots of illustrators used that as a technique because of the speed. That is not to mean their illustrations weren't complete and brilliant. Fact is that so many of them looked phenomenal. This is a really good one too so you're right in there with good company.

Nice one, Caesar!

For examples of the greatest IMHO Hollywood poster style artists of the 70s and beyond until desktop publishing killed the need for illustrations of this kind unless they wanted this look: Dru Struzan. Still a treat and inspiration. I may have linked you to his stuff before, but in case I haven't, see the link below. It may hold out some possibilities for expanding your style a little. Yours is already darn good though. Just always fun to look at stuff that's out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dru+struzan&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fHAbU4X1M4fk2QWdzYCYAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1067&bih=511

Caesar
03-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Thank You, dear Pat! Maybe it takes quite a long time, after so many year of presence, so, apart from the risk of get bored, You have to wait for a rainy day ... LOL;):o

Thank You, dear Andrea! I'm sure You may quickly do portraits at least as good as this one using these tools and following this style which fits very short love affairs, so take it into account, in case, for a tribute to an occasional lover. ;):o

Dear D Akey, right about distortion due to a quick sketching and the intention to concentrate on fundamental features. The idea was appealing also because the picture reminded me also of some spaghetti western poster, very much in line with what You observed. I thank You endlessly for being so smart, knowledgeable (an art wikipedia) an so kind to address me to the best of the artists and style I lay like and learn from.

Marilyn Anne
03-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Very personable and unique!

Caesar
03-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Thank You, dear Marylin Anne. I read a lot from manuals and tutorials which I find very useful and sometimes I start with the idea to follow their suggestions on procedures, but I usually end up proceeding my natural way and it works well enough in several cases. :)

Alexandra
03-11-2014, 04:10 AM
He resembles Tom Hanks, Cesare. Again, you have great talent.
Wonderful work.:):):):):)

stevemawmv
03-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Nicely done Caesar....
I like your "stab" at Danny, and i'am sure he will as well...
Now, if we could just find him he's got a lot of catching up to do...
I know that isn't the point of the exercise though!
Very well done friend,
Steve

Caesar
03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Thank You, dear Sandra! After so many parts and characters played by Tom Hanks, I think he actually can resemble to anyone ...LOL;):D

Dear Steve, I proceeded in a most immediate way, no tracing, measuring, proportions checking etc., just an idea to fix some peculiar feature and some suggested "dynamics" of the head. I rather concentrated on the use of pencil and chalk on that background and it worked reasonably well and fast ... Thank You!

byroncallas
06-01-2017, 09:27 AM
I know I'm a little slow in replying, but in the spirit of better late than never, I like a lot. :-)

D Akey
06-01-2017, 04:18 PM
I know I'm a little slow in replying, but in the spirit of better late than never, I like a lot. :-)

Thanks for the chuckle, Callas. Is that mothballs I smell? I remember going through my grandparents' attic with all their old chests and whatnot. Was really wondrous and magical for the little kid I was at the time. Clothes, lots of hats, a marionette my uncle made as a kid for school, even some of his old tin soldiers of the WWI vintage. Would be worth money today.

I see you've taken to wandering the halls.

:cool: :p ;););););):D:D

byroncallas
06-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the chuckle, Callas. Is that mothballs I smell? I remember going through my grandparents' attic with all their old chests and whatnot. Was really wondrous and magical for the little kid I was at the time. Clothes, lots of hats, a marionette my uncle made as a kid for school, even some of his old tin soldiers of the WWI vintage. Would be worth money today.

I see you've taken to wandering the halls.

:cool: :p ;););););):D:D

Well, yes, dear Akey, sometimes I'm possessed and take to wandering, especially these halls which, when rummaging through, bring up so many fond memories and even new discoveries, not unlike your excursions into your grandparent's attic. I'm reminded, not just of their works, but the spirit of old friends who made and shared them, some, who have sadly passed on, others who, like me, seem to have wandered off into other adventures, and others who, like you and several others, are still here creating and sharing joys and wonders.

And besides, I'm always good for a chuckle.

I miss you, old friend.

b