PDA

View Full Version : As requested - some watercolour methods - Dry Brush watercolour 27th March

copespeak
03-03-2014, 05:46 PM
It's hard to put it all down, and I did a painting this morning of my dog's new soft toy and recorded it, but it will take a while to pick the necessary info out of it.

Here is the painting:

Here is a quick scribble to get those interested something to play with. Any questions, please ask! :) :)

1. Rough your canvas up. New Layer.
2. Get your Gloop Pen with settings (below) and fill in the area you want to paint. The Gloop Pen has a rough edge which is much like a true watercolour edge. Do NOT lift your pen while you are filling in your area, because you will get twice as much pigment. Not so desirable if you want a wash.

3. Use Magic Wand to select outside area, then invert the selection. I have a keyboard preference set at 'I' so I can access it easily. So the coloured area only is now selected.

Throw in some colours that might shade or complement. See following post..... :)

copespeak
03-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Set your Blender with these settings and try blending a little.

While selected, also play around with the Airbrush. You need the size to be large (see below) to get away from the misty look. You want the texture!

Airbrush Settings:

Deselect and blend LIGHTLY where you want it to mist out. Play around again with the Airbrush.Use a new layer to have control. With that, you can also erase areas back, full pressure, or lightly to get that washed out, watercolour effect..

copespeak
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
This has a blue Gloop Pen layer beneath the top layer, which is set at 'Multiply'

A new stronger colour on another layer. Sometimes I duplicate the layer just to get it brighter and darker, then merge it down. Or you can set a top layer to Multiply, and then Airbrush it down with pure white, showing the lighter layer beneath. Keeping your layers separate until they need to be blended always gives you the option to use the selection process at the beginning of this thread.

I've just dreamed up this idea to get lines or shapes with a watercolour edge into my paintings (see 'Pooh' at the top).

New Layer, and use your Gloop Pen again to write or draw what you want. It can be a large shape, just make sure the centre is filled in so it doesn't mess up the selection process.

Select, invert selection and delete so you have only the selection lines. Go to the layer below and hit Delete, and the base colour will be all that's left. Keep your selection alive, and paint inside. It really works well!

copespeak
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM

This can shaded, blended, shadowed, or what ever you want.

Of course, you can REALLY have fun with this method, by shadowing via an empty layer beneath with the Airbrush and move sideways and down a smidge with the Transform tool. This can also be done with normal text on a layer, select by the method above and then go for it. Using the spray gives you the grain that looks great with a shadow, rather than a solid colour. :)

That's it for now, my head hurts! I will come back in and add. I hope it's understandable. Enjoy playing! :) :)

stevemawmv
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much Robyn for starting a 'Tut' on this, always been a mystery to me.....
but something I've always wanted to attempt. Looking forward to the next installment,
knowing me it will probably take a week for me to muddle though part one!
Take care,
Steve

jmac
03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Wow! You are incredibly accomplished with this technique! I like the Pooh painting very much. You've really captured the look of traditional watercolor. I would not have thought of the gloop pen for this. Thank you for taking the time to make and post this tutorial.

copespeak
03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys! I hope it was understandable. :) :)

SilverO
03-04-2014, 08:18 AM
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing;)

D Akey
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Fantastic!!! I'll have to go try it out right away. Thank you so much, copespeak, lass.

copespeak
03-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Thank you for your thank you, Mr Akey! :)

justjean
03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks for sharing your know how with us all, Robyn :):):)

copespeak
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Pleasure Jean! xx

gxhpainter2
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks Robyn... I have printed this out... and I will study it to get it down... thanks a bunch..:):):cool:

copespeak
03-05-2014, 12:23 PM
:) :)

Mr Ploos' portrait, with close up.

Rondo
03-06-2014, 04:05 AM
This absolutely well done indeed!!,what ever i try? i can't get myself wrapped in watercolor painting at this level (or whatever level for that matter,lol)

copespeak
03-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Have a play Rondo!

Here is an exercise for painting a single cherry I sourced off the net, and I'll try to explain the process.

1. Put in the simple cherry shape with the Gloop Pen, with setting shown at the beginning of this thread. Select the background and Invert your selection.
2. and 3. Working only in that selection, layer some more colour on. Gloop Pen builds colour each time you lift your pen, so don't lift unless you want to deepen the tone. Blend using settings shown earlier, but smaller. Not too small because you will lose the watercolour texture you want. Reduce blend 'pressure' and pat lightly if you need to be subtle.
4. Choose a darker version in your colour picker and put in the dark tone with your Ink Pen. Blend some more, but try to keep some wash lines as well.
5. I thought the colour was a bit drab, so used 'Adjust Colours' (Hue and Contrast) in the Edit section to brighten it up.

6. and 7. Continue adding colour and blending until you are happy!
8. I hope you can see, but I have used the selection tool set on the circle to select water droplets ..... ovals and circles. Hold down your shift key when selecting, so you can get multiple selections at the same time.
9. New Layer. Put in highlights and shadows around the edges, blend lightly and erase what you don't want. Reduce the opacity of your droplets layer until it is more subtle, and erase lightly areas that are not right.
10. Select Inverse and do the same on the outside for shadowing. Blend lightly. Deselect. Merge down. Blend very lightly again so you don't have those crisp edges.

11. My casual outline needs to be corrected, so I Gloop Pen them off on a NEW Layer (I want the rough edge of the Gloop Pen). Select background and Invert selection. Clear that Layer to get rid of the colour, and go to the layer below and Delete.
12. Gone!! :) :)
13. and 14. Use the same process for the stem to clear that red cherry colour.

15. and 16. Use your ink pen to place the green colours in where you want them, and brown at the top. Blend lightly.
17. Now we want a shadow to give weight to the cherry. New Layer. Bang in any old colour and clear/delete, but keep the selection. Don't worry about it going into the cherry, you can clear that afterwards.
18. and 19. Gloop Pen in a (I used blue/grey) shadowy colour you like. Get your ink Pen and make it darker towards the cherry. Blend gently until you get it darker nearest the cherry and fading as it goes away. I should have put in a subtle reddish area to reflect the cherry, but didn't. You can, but I would get a new layer, put in some red, blend, reduce the opacity of the layer, and then erase back what you don't want.
Deselect.

Go to the cherry layer and select the background and invert. Keeping that selection alive, go back to the shadow layer and rub out the overlapping area. Lovely crisp shadow!
To darken the line where the cherry meets the base, make a new layer underneath your image, and make the cherry layer Blend Mode 'Multiply'. Go back to the bottom layer and use your Airbrush with blue grey (or whatever) ... you don't need it too dark, and 'foof' in a little spray, until you are happy with the depth of shadow. Blend if necessary.

Voila!!! It looks good enough to eat! :) :) :)

I would love to see if anyone has a go, so please post your efforts. I will happily answer any questions. :)

jmac
03-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Tremendous tutorial on many levels...Thank you!

copespeak
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Thank you Jmac! :)

justjean
03-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Great work with Mr Ploos and that cherry tut. is great, thanks so much Robyn :)

stevemawmv
03-08-2014, 05:17 AM
Thank you Robyn....
Very well done, have tried to follow other 'Tuts' on the internet and left guessing at what they left out.
No blanks here, easy to follow and understand.
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks Jean and Steve. Have a go! :) :)

justjean
03-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks again Robyn and now here's my effort :) altho I cheated and used the wc brush for the couple of rain/dew drops

copespeak
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Well done Jean! You got it working for you really well. You can cheat all you like. The tools are there for you to get to your goal in any way that suits.

My problem with the water colour brush is that the washes are full of lines and imperfections, and always need to be blended to smooth those out. They are excellent for the misty look, which I will show in my next tute.

Thanks for having a go, it takes a while to put it together and it's lovely to see someone make use of it! :)

justjean
03-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks Robyn, looking forward to the next one :)

Rondo
03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Not quit as elaborated, but quite fair?

copespeak
03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Rondo, you've got them up and looking like cherries! Now, if you used my method, you need to not deselect your outline until your cherries are totally done so you don't fuzz them up with your blending. That helps to keep your crisp line going. Keep at it! New one in the next few days that you will really enjoy! :)

Rondo
03-10-2014, 02:58 AM
thank you copespeak, gone remember that.

copespeak
03-27-2014, 06:03 PM
It's amazing how ideas occur to you through the day. I was pondering on how to get a dry brush effect with those lovely broken edges, and it worked, so here it is if anyone is interested.

I set my watercolour brush pretty big (400) with the setting as above, and scuffed on some paint .....

.... building up a group of parallel lines.

Then I 'lock' the layer to fix those lovely dry lines while I mess around within. Alternately you can select, and then invert. Get your Blender going with setting similar to these .....

... pat lightly, or more to get rid of those inside lines. The white from the outside will dilute the green without leaking outside, and you get a lovely watercoloury washed out look.

I like it! What do you reckon??? :) :)

copespeak
03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
A pretty dumb, totally unplanned little painting, but it shows the effects you can get.

jmac
03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I know what "pat lightly" would mean in real world watercolor but I'm not quite sure what you mean when using a stylus. Are you just sort of tapping the point to get a stippled effect?....Never mind. I see you're using a palette knife. Still struggling with the analog to digital crossover. :)

Thanks for these tutorials.

copespeak
03-28-2014, 10:51 AM
If you have a pressure sensitive stylus/tablet, 'pat lightly' does work. :)

Shezza
04-02-2014, 04:31 AM
What a pretty painting Copespeak...light and fresh. I made this brush following your settings and love the effects. Thanks for the steps.

copespeak
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear this thread is being used Shezza, and I like your painting. :) :)

silvy
05-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I always search for new methods in ARwatercolor cause I'm never satisfied with the results.
I'll try these techniques.Grazie:D:D:D

copespeak
05-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Thank you so much Silvy! I'll look forward to seeing your next painting. :)

silvy
05-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Little attemps of watercolor techniques with selections and your tools.....:rolleyes:

continue to study.....

copespeak
05-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Silvy, they are both so beautiful! You have got those tools working so well for you, and you have achieved some really legitimate watercolour effects. Well done! :) :) :)

Enug
05-12-2014, 04:57 AM
How did I miss these latest tutorials? I know what I will be doing toorrow.:)

Victor Osaka
05-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks so much for this tutorial. Very clear!

Mirithiar
03-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Hello! Long time no see. I don't seem to be able to see any of the original pictures in this thread - is that just me, or have they been removed?

Rachelle
03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Hello! Long time no see. I don't seem to be able to see any of the original pictures in this thread - is that just me, or have they been removed?

Hi Mirithiar :)

It's not just you... copespeak's images are gone.