PDA

View Full Version : How does one install a gradient?

williamK
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
MrPaint collection 4 contains gradients (as .png files). How does one get them in ArtRage as .grd? It appears the import dialogs only look to photoshop gradients as options?

markw
03-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Hello and welcome williamK
I'm afraid those particular Gradients are just stencils that can be used to paint a gradient "buy hand" as it were and are not, as you noted, actual gradient .grd files.
You can make a Group for them in your Stencils folder and put them in there where you can then access and use them the same as the other stencils in there.

HannahRage
03-01-2014, 02:25 AM
If you do want to import or create 'proper' gradients, then you either need to create and save them within ArtRage, or import them as ArtRage or Photoshop gradients.

Gms9810
03-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Photoshop gradients will work?

Someonesane
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Photoshop gradients will work?

Sure will. If you select the Menu button on the Settings panel, you'll find the "Load From Disk" option. It'll let you import a single gradient for use, if you don't happen to want to actually import the gradient for future use. If you'd like to add a series of PS gradients into your ArtRage collection, just follow the steps in the image below (Note: On step six, I only have a single gradient shown as being selected. To import all three of them, I'd need to check mark them all before clicking "ok"):

Gms9810
03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Well bust my buttons! I didn't know that. I hope someday AR will be able to import Gimp brushes and gradients. Thanks, I have tons of gradients both PS and Gimp.

Someonesane
03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Does gimp read PS gradients? You may be able to make Gimps gradients into PS gradients, which could then be brought into ArtRage.

Gms9810
03-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Gimp can use PS brushes but not gradients.

koalablue
06-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a paintbrush and gradients together to paint?

Someonesane
06-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a paintbrush and gradients together to paint?

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking for... Is it that you're looking for a way to use the gradient area as a means to mask off where you can paint (assuming that parts of the gradient are transparent; meaning there wouldn't be paint there)? If so, then yes. You just need to lay out the gradient on a new layer and then select it by going to Edit → Select Layer Contents. This will make a selection of the paint filled areas. Then you can paint over that selection on a new layer, with whichever tools you'd like.