PDA

View Full Version : Gradient fill.

02-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone,
Is there a way in AR4 to make a gradient fill without using the stencils?
Thank you. :cool:

Someonesane
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, there is. Just select the Fill tool and on the settings panel you'll find an option for filling with a gradient.

sueellen
02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
But with the regular fill, I can fill in just an area I've drawn. Using the gradient fill, If I want to fill in just a part of a canvas, I have to use the Selection Tool or a Stencil. If I use a stencil, I need to erase all the fill around the stencil block. Like this:

Is there a way to make it fill with a gradient within just an area I've chosen?

Rondo
02-25-2014, 01:48 PM
If you use a stencil? then you just have to click inside the stencil to fill it with a full color or a gradient.the same can be done with free hand drawing, you just fill it with the gradient. Sorry if I did not quite understood your question in that case, sorry for this post.

HannahRage
02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
But with the regular fill, I can fill in just an area I've drawn. Using the gradient fill, If I want to fill in just a part of a canvas, I have to use the Selection Tool or a Stencil. If I use a stencil, I need to erase all the fill around the stencil block. Like this:

Is there a way to make it fill with a gradient within just an area I've chosen?

Unfortunately not with the stencil. You can work around this by filling the stencil with paint and selecting it ("Magic Wand") or outlining with the selection tool (e.g. "Paint Area") and then using the gradient tool.

Selecting existing paint is likely to be a much quicker workaround than trying to select an area from scratch.

sueellen
02-26-2014, 03:05 AM
Thank you, HannahRage. I will have some fun with this method today.

Docsmith626
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
I use the select tool to create a mask for the stencil.

sueellen
03-20-2014, 05:10 AM
More help, please-- I've used the ink pen to fill a stencil on its own layer, used "Select Layer Contents" and created a gradient to fill the selection. Excellent: now I have the stencil filled with the gradient. How do I add a third color to the gradient? Some of the pre-sets provided have a band of three colors or more.

Juz
03-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi sueellen,
To add new colours to a gradient launch the gradient editor:-

The Gradient Editor will allow you to:
Add/remove colour points and change the position of colour points
Change the midpoint position between two colours
Add/remove opacity points and change their positions
Change the midpoint position between opacity values

Note: Only one point can be active at a time
The Controls underneath the gradient will change depending on which type of point is selected

To add a new colour point click anywhere above the gradient image
(be careful not to click a midpoint as that will be selected instead of a new colour point being added)

A new colour point is added and becomes the active point. A new midpoint is added automatically.
Adjust the position of the new colour point by dragging on it directly or using the position slider.

Click the custom colour swatch to change the colour value of any active colour point

Add as many new colour points as desired by repeating the above method

Opacity points work in the same way. Click underneath the gradient to add new opacity points.
Adjust the opacity slider for the active opacity point to change the level of opacity.

To remove a colour or opacity point:-
Select the point to make it active.
Click the Trashcan Icon

sueellen
03-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Thank you, Juz!

sueellen
03-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Yet another thing: I need for the middle gradient to run vertically through the center of my design. I've only been able to make a vertical stripe by moving my cursor horizontally for the fill. Moving my cursor vertically makes a horizontal stripe. I can only guess where to place my horizontal drag to make a centered vertical stripe. I hope that makes sense. How do I make my fill center vertically, so my middle color runs from top to bottom in the dead center of the design?

Juz
03-26-2014, 09:00 AM
The easiest way to get the gradient stripe to line up centred and vertical would be to make a selection first.

Line up your gradient tool on the marquee's 'marching ants' on the left side, hold shift and drag until you have the cursor lined up exactly on the marquee on the right side.

The red arrow shows where the gradient tool was dragged:-

sueellen
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
And there is math involved, right? I've tried to center the "stripe" vertically by centering the cursor line against the side before I drag it horizontally, but apparently it's not proportional. If I want the stripe running down the center of my design, I can't draw the line from the center of the side. I have to draw the line from a point as many pixels down as it takes to center it across.
So, in this:

the vertical center is at the 500 horizontal pixel mark. I have to run my cursor horizontally from the 500 vertical pixel mark for it to work.
Is this the correct way, or am I missing something simpler?

Rondo
03-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi sueellen,
To add new colours to a gradient launch the gradient editor:-

The Gradient Editor will allow you to:
Add/remove colour points and change the position of colour points
Change the midpoint position between two colours
Add/remove opacity points and change their positions
Change the midpoint position between opacity values

Note: Only one point can be active at a time
The Controls underneath the gradient will change depending on which type of point is selected

To add a new colour point click anywhere above the gradient image
(be careful not to click a midpoint as that will be selected instead of a new colour point being added)

A new colour point is added and becomes the active point. A new midpoint is added automatically.
Adjust the position of the new colour point by dragging on it directly or using the position slider.

Click the custom colour swatch to change the colour value of any active colour point

Add as many new colour points as desired by repeating the above method

Opacity points work in the same way. Click underneath the gradient to add new opacity points.
Adjust the opacity slider for the active opacity point to change the level of opacity.

To remove a colour or opacity point:-
Select the point to make it active.
Click the Trashcan Icon
this don't seems to be correct, i can't what ever i try delete the selected color the way you explain .the only place you get the trashcan is in the editor right? i have seen no way to delete a selected color

Someonesane
03-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is, but it seems like you might have better luck using the "Reflect" type of gradient. By using Reflect, the gradient mirrors itself from the point you start dragging the cursor. So if you create your gradient with this in mind, you'd place the color you want as the focus on the far left of your gradient (assuming you have the "reverse" option off, on the settings panel), because that will be the color that ends up at the center point (the point you click your mouse). I've posted a video showing this, as well as how to delete color points (though you should note that every gradient requires two color points and two transparency points). The video also shows one way to ensure which angle the gradient takes, using a square stencil.

Here's the video link (http://youtu.be/ncXqjpvm4Z8).

Juz
03-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Sueellen,
If four letter words like math are getting involved you may be overthinking it :)

If your shape is symmetrical (like your design) then starting anywhere on one side, finishing at the mirrored side will automatically place the stripe in the middle of your gradient at 50%. Just be sure to hold shift when you drag to constrain the dragged line to the horizontal.

Hi Rondo
As mentioned by SoS you cannot delete the default 2 colour points, only additional colour points can be removed

If you are trying to achieve a colour to transparent gradient:-
Make the two colour points the same colour (this will stop the gradient travelling through errant colours)
Make one of the opacity points 0%

sueellen
03-27-2014, 03:45 AM
Here is what I did:
Thank you, kind Juz, for reminding me that math is a 4-letter word. It does, indeed, make me crazy.
What I am doing is not so much art really, but craft. I make a template and stamp it all around to make patterns for giftwrap or fabric.
I had futzed around with this for a long while before I found the sweet spot that would get the "stripe" to center. I couldn't get the stripe to center unless I did the horizontal drag from the 500 pixel mark. Dunno why. But yes-- that is way too much math for me and it makes my head ache. I hereby abandon the use of math.
I think that what I settled on was to fill a layer with the gradient I wanted, use a stencil of the petal and scoot it around until I liked the placement, invert the stencil and erase all around it.

Thank you, SomeoneSane-- the suggestion of using the Reflect Fill will work for me if I place my design element sideways. After that I can expand the canvas, turn the design element 90 degrees, and crop to selection again so the gradient-filled stencil is positioned in a way that makes it easier for me to work with. I think this will be as easy as the stencil method.
After this I use Radiant Fill to add a burst of light color at the bottom and dark color at the top.
(The colors I show are chosen at random).
I've created this petal in other lumpier forms using airbrush and palette knife. I'm not unpleased with them, but I liked the idea of doing one that was symmetrical for a giftwrap idea...

Juz
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
I think that what I settled on was to fill a layer with the gradient I wanted, use a stencil of the petal and scoot it around until I liked the placement, invert the stencil and erase all around it.

That's a clever solution! Well done

Looking at the zoomed view of the complete flower you're getting beautiful results, I hope whoever gets this gift saves the wrapping :)

sueellen
03-28-2014, 12:39 AM
Thank you, Juz. I appreciate your encouragement.

Max Bee
06-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I have an additional question re Fill Gradient:

(I am a new ArtRage4 user and am very impressed with your product. Excellent features, good documentation and active forum, this is a mature product that will be great to work with)

I have one question at the moment. I start with a blank canvas on which I paint a circle with my watercolour brush. When I Fill Solid the area outside my circle with a colour and the Fill Solid inside the circle with a different colour I end up with both colours as planned.

However, if I Fill Solid outside the circle and then Fill Gradient inside the circle with a different colour the whole canvas fills with the gradient colour.

I am making sure I am in the same layer for all these actions. What am i doing wrong?

markw
06-03-2014, 01:36 AM

(I am a new ArtRage4 user and am very impressed with your product. Excellent features, good documentation and active forum, this is a mature product that will be great to work with)

I have one question at the moment. I start with a blank canvas on which I paint a circle with my watercolour brush. When I Fill Solid the area outside my circle with a colour and the Fill Solid inside the circle with a different colour I end up with both colours as planned.

However, if I Fill Solid outside the circle and then Fill Gradient inside the circle with a different colour the whole canvas fills with the gradient colour.

I am making sure I am in the same layer for all these actions. What am i doing wrong?

Hi Max
I've made a short recording here based on your description.
Unlike the "Solid" fill option the Gradient option has no "built in" spread setting to tell it where and when to stop, so yes it will just fill the whole layer.
Have a watch and hopefully this vid will be of some help: http://youtu.be/FDO_BQa2xKo

HannahRage
06-03-2014, 08:28 AM

The Gradient and Pattern Fills don't work the same way as the normal Solid Fill. If you want to only colour a specific area, you'll need to use the Selection tool to limit the area first.

Max Bee
06-03-2014, 12:22 PM
The video makes it really clear. Perfect!