PDA

View Full Version : Are We Going Now?

copespeak
02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
A crazy painting of my poodle Zara when told we were going to Lure Racing yesterday! The dogs just love it!

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Going for a ride, going for ride, love going for a ride....
Next best thing...visiting freinds and watching them chase
things around, when is it my turn....I'm fast!
Sorry for the story Robyn,
and I love Zara!
Take care,
Steve

gxhpainter2
02-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Zara looks like a very happy dog! and beautifully painted as well..:cool::cool:

copespeak
02-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys!

I couldn't resist her looking so happy.

We take her and the Borzoi to the Whippet Racing Days (a borzoi is a sighthound like a whippet, greyhound, etc, so can belong to the club)

They have two runs together and come out of the blocks and chase the lure like professionals. The only problem is the poodle is coming up nine years old and a lot smaller (though a 'standard' - the largest size) than Dova, so can't keep up the pace and the speed of a huge dog bred to run. Dova then realises she is dropping back and slows to offer support, so the run ends in a mish mash of sweet doggie care and not 'racing past the finish line'. The Club members line up to watch, and make such a fuss of them. It's great fun!

gxhpainter2
02-17-2014, 01:02 PM
a fantastic picture!... thanks for sharing it with us..:cool::cool:

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
They look like they're having a ball Robyn, I enjoyed you adding.... Dova's caring support for Zara, quite endearing....
love the dogs....

copespeak
02-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks you two! :)

Marilyn Anne
02-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Eager to go and full of life! Beautifully captured expression of joy!

copespeak
02-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Marilyn, yes, she is the most loving, joyful and forgiving dog I have ever had! Wonderful little gal! :)

D Akey
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Implying that nappy, clumpy, wooly fur (? what is the word for it ?)

The expression is adorable. Boy, those look like a couple of the happiest dogs ever. But the real question remains: Can they keep up with a Harley? If not can you have double-decker side cars? and I'm talking transport, not talking about boozing them up. . . unless they're payin' for a couple rounds. . . each. . .

copespeak
02-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Ha ha! No they couldn't keep up with a Harley, but they'd give it a red hot go! We did think a few years back about putting Zara in leathers and goggles on the tank in front of my fella, but the claw marks would be a bit of a worry. :) :) She would love it though.....

Side car? It would be like trying to pack a giraffe into a sidecar, Dova's all long gangly limbs. :cool:

eighty+
02-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah Robbie. It look as if you've. Gone to the Dogs ;);):D:D:D. Talking of poodle's. Isn't.

The Lion. The largess. Poodle. :confused: ;). SLAINTE.

copespeak
02-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Are you talking about a poodle in a 'lion cut' Eighty? When you see a show poodle, they have a clip like this.....

....which is sometimes called a Lion Clip. This style can apply to all poodles, from the tiny 'Toy', the medium size 'Miniature' and then the largest 'Standard'.

Although it looks a bit over the top now, it was developed years back when they were used for retrieving game shot into the water, like other retriever dogs. The long hair on the wrists and around the body was to keep them warm, and the topknot was to tie a ribbon to in an identifying colour, so the owner could spot their dogs amongst the others or in the water.

We've had 3 standard poodles and they are wonderfully intelligent loyal dogs. Zara is the last one standing! :) :)

pat1940
02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Love, love this Robyn, painting and pic, they are adorable

D Akey
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about a poodle in a 'lion cut' Eighty? When you see a show poodle, they have a clip like this.....

....which is sometimes called a Lion Clip. This style can apply to all poodles, from the tiny 'Toy', the medium size 'Miniature' and then the largest 'Standard'.

Although it looks a bit over the top now, it was developed years back when they were used for retrieving game shot into the water, like other retriever dogs. The long hair on the wrists and around the body was to keep them warm, and the topknot was to tie a ribbon to in an identifying colour, so the owner could spot their dogs amongst the others or in the water.

Woah! Well blow me down! And here I thought the inspiration for the cut was Popeye. . . either that or Michelangelo's David with his rather large hands and feet -- Right. Not quite Louis XIV enough. Anyway, I love the appearance of being puffed up as if to intimidate. Good hinting dogs as a result. The birds probably just dropped from the sky from the very sight of them. Good camouflage for urban warfare too. Could stand still and they'd blend in with certain sculpted shrubbery in winter.

copespeak
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Hi Pat, and thanks for looking in and commenting. :) :)

Ha ha, yes, Mr Akey, I like the thought of doggie topiary! :) :)

HarlequiNQB
02-19-2014, 06:04 PM
I love the way you capture fur - it's so painterly, yet natural looking at the same time. Keep it up :)

Also, beautiful dog!

Caesar
02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
So this woolly chap is a dog and not a woo sheep! Very nice! Did she eventually win the race?

copespeak
02-20-2014, 12:23 AM
No Caesar,she hasn't got the build or the speed of a borzoi, so slows down about a third of the way around. But she does win in admiration and adoration for her plucky spirit. :)

coops
02-20-2014, 04:07 AM
What an adorable pair they are and the painting is terrific:)