PDA

View Full Version : Dressage

copespeak
02-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I was approached at our last Artist Market by someone from a dressage riding group to do some work to be given as prizes.

I did this sketch and wash to match another I had done a while back, then got really inspired to do a full colour painting. This is the result, and I loved doing it and am very pleased.

I'm not sure I will sell this next one to her for a pittance, but will get some framed and present it as a 'limited edition' print on the open market.

This has really inspired me more than anything else I have done digitally.

D Akey
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Ooooo. . . SWEET!!!!! I would really love to offer you an apple or maybe a carrot. . . You must be a horse to reflect horses so well. I love the color one expecially. It feels like horse (skin/flesh/hide/hair/fur. . . whatchamacallit -- the brown outside horse epidermis stuff)! Nice how you lit it. Perfect color choice. Really good character in the drawings.

stevemawmv
02-11-2014, 06:07 PM
These are fantastic Robyn....
Youngest daughter rode English and started show jumping at a early age,
I thought I was going to have a heart attack at every event. She now just
trains horses and riders in the sport. Relief....
These are very nice, bought back
memories.
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
02-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Thank you Mr Akey, you always fuel my inspiration.

And to you too Steve. Yes, I had horses for years and my daughters rode as well. My eldest still does.

They are wonderful creatures ... not as good as dogs mind, but they are so meltingly beautiful. I still get a lump in my throat when I see a particularly beautiful one.

I have been invited to be official photographer at their next event in March, so hope to have lots more for inspiration. I collect heaps of my photos, and am going to trawl through and find some more to have a crack at. :) :)

justjean
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Both are great and love the coloured :)

jmac
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
This painting is really very well done. The composition is striking and I really like your style of painting.

Caesar
02-11-2014, 08:14 PM
These artpieces are absolutely excellent. I'm really in awe in front of Your mastery, dear mate. If I may ask You, it looks like You start Your painting from a darker background (te one shich we may see through Your brushstrokes), don't You?

copespeak
02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Thank you Jmac, Jean and Caesar. You are always so lovely with your comments.

Yes, Caesar, I started with a dark ground, though I wince when I think of all the ink I will use when I print. But it gives me the drama I like, and the areas of the horse I wanted to disappear totally.

On some recent ones, I just use a complimentary colour that will give punch to the brush strokes, not necessarily dark.

eighty+
02-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Yes Robbie even Hoss looks pleased. May I call Stubbs. ? ;). :D:D:D. SLAINTE

eighty+
02-12-2014, 12:51 AM
You. You. :eek::eek::eek:

Caesar
02-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Thank You for Your kind explanation, dear Robyn! :)

gxhpainter2
02-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Wow Robyn you never cease to amaze and delight with your wonder style, as Mr D Akey said you captured the colors exactly and the simple background work really lets the details on the horse and rider shine... really amazing painting.:cool::cool:

copespeak
02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Thank you so much Gary! :) :)

Marilyn Anne
02-12-2014, 08:47 AM
The horse is amazing !

AndreaMG
02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
You are a master. It's technically perfect and focuses the attention on the horse instead of the rider, not on a random horse but a horse who's doing dressage. The "sketch" is beautiful too. :cool:

copespeak
02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Woo, my head is swelling! I delighted you are impressed. There are so many talented people here showing what they can do with Art Rage, it's great to have a platform to share our excitement on.

It's been almost a year since I started working on Art Rage, and I've met so many lovely people. :) :)

Bunn Green
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Love it, great colours and technique. Can I ask what medium and brush you used please?

copespeak
02-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Mostly Oil Brush with stiffness and thinnners cranked up. :)

eighty+
02-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Robbie looking at your Hosses made me while laying in bed have a play on the IPad a bit rough but good fun ok thanks ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D SLAINTE

copespeak
02-16-2014, 08:12 AM
What a beauty Eighty! I can just see you lying there with your Ipad scribbling away. :) :) :)

eighty+
02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Yeah. Robbie. Should have been asleep. That's my only trouble with the IPad keep me awake
At night ;):D:D:D:D:D. SLAINTE

coops
02-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Brilliant work Robyn, well done :)

Bobbyray
02-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Hey there stranger

Still Horsing around, hu......well.....it has paid off! Brilliant work! Good to know you are still hangin here..... Keep on getting that inspiration and producing high quality artworks. Proud of ya!

Bobbi
02-18-2014, 05:17 AM
I love horses. Dressage is one of those sports that bring out the beauty of those magnificent beasts. Very well done.

copespeak
02-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your lovely comments Bobbi, Coops and Bobbyray. :) :)

HarlequiNQB
02-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Oh my goodness, these are fantastic. I was just complimenting you in how well you do the painterly fur on many of your images, but these are so controlled, and yet every bit as good. Your attention to detail on the horses and their proportions blows me away. Beautiful pieces.

copespeak
02-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks Harlequin! I had horses for many years and have been painting them since a small girl. I wore out many pencils and pads on practicing!

Beautiful creatures, but they've got to be right. I was just up the road last night photographing the most beautiful Arab foals, so look out there will be more coming!

HarlequiNQB
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
I shall both look out, and eagerly await the results :)

Caesar
02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
... I also like Mr.Ploos riding in the disguise of Charles V of Spain (if I'm not wrong) ...LOL:D