PDA

View Full Version : Started off as a pencil drawing

copespeak
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I was playing around with Pencil to see how easy it is to emulate natural drawing on Art Rage. I always find it hard to get those lovely shading lines because the tool tends to wander.... or my hand does. The secret is to do it real quick before the waver takes over.

Of course the line drawing developed into a watercolour wash, and then my lovely 'Toulouse Paper' stencil, and here is my crow.

krpolak
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Nice, I like twinkle in the eye and pose. I would develop the base a bit more, to emphasize action. And maybe some homogenous color variations here and there could make this image slightly more playful.

Thanks, krpolak

HarlequiNQB
02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Really nice :) The style reminds me of some sketches in an ornithology book I once saw dating from (I think) the 50's. I wasn't fussed about the book itself, but I preferred the sketchiness of the illustrations to the more mannered illustrations in other books I'd seen on the subject (and the colour plate center pages of the same book). I could see introducing more colour as krpolak suggests, but in this instance at least I think the simple tonal aspect works really well.

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey Robyn,
I think your emulation test was successful, the crow looks great....
If there was wavering hands, can't tell by your drawing.
Thinking about tying weights to mine when I'm detailing...he he he!
Unwavering done!
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, this was just an experiment/practice and I wanted it monotone, but thanks for your suggestions Krpolak! I kinda wanted it a bit 'olde worlde'.

Maybe it's a bit dreary, I don't know. :) :)

Caesar
02-03-2014, 09:50 PM
You timely nails it perfectly, dear Robyn. Very eloquent image of "crowy" expressivity.

justjean
02-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Great pencil work, Robyn, Mr Crow looks very regal :D

coops
02-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Thats great work, well done:)

krpolak
02-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Krpolak! I kinda wanted it a bit 'olde worlde'.

Maybe it's a bit dreary, I don't know. :) :)

Thats exactly what I am talking about! I dont mean wild splashes of color and fountains of hues ;)

You know, just a touch of blue, seen on black feathers when highlighted by sun. Exactly like in old, ornithology books :)

copespeak
02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Gorgeous! I like the top one. Leave it with me and I will have a play! I'm fixing some computers for friends, and that has really spoiled my 'muse'!

D Akey
02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Nice drawing! I understand you're going to be doing more to it based on suggestions and images. But were you to leave it as is, I would recommend a couple swatches of highlight even if it were just a way of separating it out from a spot or two from the plain brown wrapper.

But the drawing technique is brilliant and it's good enough as it is for what it is. Would make a nice spot illustration that could sit to the side at the header of a poem or short story in some kind of anthology. Just for safety sake and because I'm generally neurotic about such things, I would tend to push the contrast a little harder if it were in one of those text books with un-coated paper. But like I say, I love the drawing. I'm just nattering and I don't even know if my suggestion would help or not if printed.

copespeak
02-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes, I realise it is a bit dull in colour and no highlights. I have no plans for it, merely just a play with the pencil and pastel and washes.

I will jerk it around a bit and see what happens. I like the 'plain brown wrapper' analogy! Very descriptive. :) :)

Edit: OK, I've had a play and put some colour in.

For anyone who is interested, I adjusted the layer colour, by brightening quite a lot, then duplicated the layer, made the blend mode to 'multiply', so it was almost to the original colours. Then roughed up the layer texture a bit and made the colour pure white, and put the highlights in with 'chalk' .... creating an erasing effect, but with the pastel texture. That way I don't lose the pencil lines already there.

Then I merged the layers and duplicated again. Then got the Ink Pen and set it to 'colour' and blued off the whole bird, and adjusted/desaturated the layer 'colour' until it was a pleasing blue black.

Finally I erased the top background only, leaving bit and pieces of brown around and here and there on the bird for interest.

Better? :) :)

AndreaMG
02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Both are gorgeous, but I have to say I prefer the first one :p Without colors only the shapes speak, which sometimes is a good thing.

Marilyn Anne
02-07-2014, 01:53 AM
I am impressed by the bird and the technique .

DreamSourceStudio
02-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Really nice work. A simple yet detailed sketch with a little bit of color. Tinted paper really works for these kind of drawings.

Caesar
02-07-2014, 09:44 PM
It's great in any version indeed!