PDA

View Full Version : A late Befana ... (with a new hat)

Caesar
01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
On January the 6th we've got a religious festivity celebrating the arrival of the Magi (the three Wisemen) to adore the child Jesus, but also that of a good witch similarly taking sweets, candies fruit, toys etc. to good children or ash and coal to naughty ones. We have a little nursery rhyme thereabout:

La Befana vien di notte
con le scarpe tutte rotte
il cappello alla romana
viva, viva la Befana

I could freely translate (to keep some of the sense and the rhyme as well)

Overnight flies the good witch
her old shoes she had to stitch
she wears a Roman looking hat
long live her so gifts I get

So, even if late, here's the Befana who, with baby Jesus at Christmas, traditionally used to make Santa Klaus job here ...;)

copespeak
01-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Very quaint painting Caesar, and such a lovely story.

We have a local here, who has lost so many teeth he's starting to 'lithp' and 'whithle' when he talks. He was sitting at my ma-in-law's table next to me today and he does make me smile! Your witchy grin reminds me very much of this fellow. :) :) :)

misterpaint
01-12-2014, 01:09 AM
anche se in ritardo... troppo forte! :D

Caesar
01-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Maybe such an almost toothless mouth is my unconscious nightmare, dear Robyn, since I like eating ractically anything and a in a "reasonably abundant" amount ... :o;) Thank You!

Caro Stefano, dopo un paio di vignette "originali" su Babbo Natale, non potevo esimermi dal celebrare la Befana, no". Ultimamente ho una tendenza fumettistico-pittorica anche un po' umoristica. Che decadenza artistica! :(:o Grazie comunque! Devo venire a vedere le tue nuove meraviglie invece, ma gli ambienti virtuali tipo after-life un po' mi deprimono. Sei anche su Deviantart per caso?

D Akey
01-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I remember when the witch was being burned in effigy on New Years in Florence to bring in the new millennium. So glad to see she survived. What would the kids do without their sweeties.

(PASSAGE OMITTED OWING TO PIC HAVING BEEN CHANGED/UPDATED NOW IRRELEVANT)

So I guess this means no candy for me this year. . . of course I was probably eliminated because unlike her, I'm long in the tooth and still have them all thankfully. I wonder if we could get this witch and make her the poster child for "The Ghost of Halloween Future", embodying what happens after that night of getting all that candy. Yikes! Children beware!

silvy
01-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Davvero una simpatica Befana....ritardataria;)

AndreaMG
01-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Ahah nice one Caesar, she looks tired, all that carbon destined to be delivered to italian politicians must have been really heavy!:p

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 07:10 AM
I want live in italy, so many celebrations, and I have the sense and feeling that there's a strong commununity participation in them.
Which would be great to experience, instead of having to buy some product being thrown in your face just because it's a special day!
As for Befana, I may have been on her ash and charcoal list, fore I made some errors in judgement last year!
Going to correct those this year, and not be naughty!
I Like it, take care
friend!
Steve

Caesar
01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Dear D Akey, You're absolutely right. The hat doesn't work (my wife told me too). The airbrush coating betrayed me here ... I'll see what I can do to remedy. Thank You.

Un po' come le poste durante le feste, cara Silvia. Grazie!

Right dear Andrea! I think that many castes with undeserved privileges in Italy got the charcoal!

Dear Steve, I'm afraid environments are worsening everywhere, here too, but we should keep awareness and hope high with the new generations so that the changes and evolution aren't fake revolutions, but improving on what our ancestors, that we should honour, built and handed out of beauty, love, wisdom and any positive dream come true. This is true anywhere I guess. Thank You!

coops
01-13-2014, 01:28 AM
This is super Cesare LOVE IT:)

Caesar
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Thank You, dear Katie! I wouldn't like to become so by aging though ...

D Akey
01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey, Caesar, check out that brim, eh?

Harry Potter might call that the Sorting Hat. What sorter hat you think? Certainly would sort us out.

Anyway, you can perhaps compare this brim with the one in your imagination. Some things are just hard to invent unless you've done something like it a few times.

I figure that while you're checking out Sophia, you can occasionally look up higher than her eyes. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. . . (sang the good witch Mary Poppins. . . whose figure was nice, but prim.)

Yeah, I think you're familiar with the model below the hat, so your imagination will be kicking in any second now and that will be the stuff of many convincing drawings.

Caesar
01-14-2014, 11:18 PM
I'll see what I can do to remedy, dear D Akey, as soon as I have a little time (I also got a request for a group portrait following a model in a sort of post-impressionistic style). Certainly I did;)n't start from Sophia Loren to figure out how the Befana might look like ... LOL ;):o Thank You!

justjean
01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
a charming young lady she is and she looks great Caesar :D I am talking about the witch not Sophia LOL

Caesar
01-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Which of the two do You mean, dear Jean? The one with or without the gloves? LOL:o Thank You!

Weeks
01-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Ahaha my dear Caesar :) Great shot !

Ahahaha... :D
Best,

Weeks

Caesar
01-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Thank you, dear Weeks! Both with a hat, but different kind of gifts from either the old witch and the young lady.;)

stevemawmv
01-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Hello Caesar,
That's some neat 'Hat Trick' you performed, this one's fitting and looking befitting
for Befana....
Sophia's hat is fitting quite nicely too, however now I have to look around for some
of her movies! Thanks Dear Mr. D Akey.....
Take Care,
Steve

Caesar
01-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Thank You, dear Steve!
As for Sophia, there are quite a lot of old movies around, but the ones I prefer are not those somehow "picturesque" or "folkloristic" or "hollywoodian", but more "ordinary" life ones, especially those with the great Marcello Mastroianni (the picture should come from one of them with a sort of strip-tease) For instance I like very much "Una giornata particolare" (A particular or special day in English I guess), a friendship story between a housewife and a homosexual man (journalist or writer or professor, I don't remember) in the fascist period, who were living in the same building and met each other in a day when Mussolini was about to visit that place with a sort of parade.

Rom__
01-17-2014, 01:41 AM
This is very funny ,Cesare, love it!
http://www.makesite.ru/happy/000.gif

D Akey
01-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Hi Caesar. It's better than the previous one, but in future, you may want to consider that it's not a matter of re-painting, but rather re-drawing. If you look at how Ms Lauren's brim is fabric and not like a lamp shade or beach umbrella though it sort of functions like one in some cases. Check how the brim appears to us as irregular and flops a little going thick and thin to our point of view, indicating perspective changes, that is more the essence of that element.

I understand your confusion when I put up a picture of Sophia you started thinking the quality I was referring to was stiffness, also in light of how tight that had to be laced in the back. How can she breathe? But, it is so worth it. But I digress. . .
I was in fact illustrating the brim on her hat, my dear fellow. A more feminine, more curvaceous. . . more supple. . . unpredictable. . . charming. . . lyrical. . . <sigh> What were we talking about, again?