PDA

View Full Version : Be Warned!

Henry Stahle
01-05-2014, 03:45 AM
By Reading this General Chat i became interested in (once again) to try out some free programs (Cam Studio and Gimpshop). By downloading Cam Studio I had this Malware installed called MySearchDial. It was a sh*t program hijacking my search engine. It is well known to make it possible to open up for some criminal acts on your computer. Maybe even hijacking it. Gimpshop installed a lot of other not known of stuff, a chat program, some gameshop links and a mess of other strange programs. I was not able to stop this while installing since no warning or no alternatives what so ever was given while installing. Still I have a solid and very good anti virus software. The virus software is Always, by nature, one step behind the criminals. This was the last time I will try out a free program. Be warned! Craps!

I have ArtRage. It is a very good program, always to be trusted and in ongoing development...I am so happy for that!

Someonesane
01-05-2014, 05:23 AM
Camtasia (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html) is a fairly known and used video recording program. There's a trial version for it, but it's not a free program. Perhaps you meant CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/)? If so, which site did you download the file from, because I've used it for years now and haven't had any issues or virus warnings from it.

Henry Stahle
01-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Camtasia (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html) is a fairly known and used video recording program. There's a trial version for it, but it's not a free program. Perhaps you meant CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/)? If so, which site did you download the file from, because I've used it for years now and haven't had any issues or virus warnings from it.

Yes, CamStudio that was- I am sorry. The same link you gave here I guess. I just did a googling and downloaded it.

Gms9810
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I use Gimp literally every day and am dedicated to it BUT, I don't care for gimpshop, for what that's worth.

Henry Stahle
01-08-2014, 05:04 AM
I use Gimp literally every day and am dedicated to it BUT, I don't care for gimpshop, for what that's worth.

Gimp, Gimpshop and GimPhoto are the same. Gimpshop and GimPhoto have some GUI tweakings, for a better interface, designed to look and feel like Photoshop more or less. But they are Gimp. That is good!

Gms9810
01-08-2014, 05:56 AM
No, they're not. Gimpshop is a version of gimp made to look like ps. There is another one with an interface made just for artists. I've used Gimp for probably 10-12 years and the different versions aren't the same. But it isn't worth debating over so this is my last post on the matter.

Henry Stahle
01-08-2014, 06:05 AM
No, they're not. Gimpshop is a version of gimp made to look like ps. There is another one with an interface made just for artists. I've used Gimp for probably 10-12 years and the different versions aren't the same. But it isn't worth debating over so this is my last post on the matter.

Yes, you are right. Just like I wrote.

By the way: "GIMPshop is a modification of The GIMP which gives it an Adobe Photoshop style interface. All of the functionality of The GIMP remains the same with the bonus of a much easier to use Photoshop style interface. One of the biggest complaints of people switching from Photoshop to The GIMP is the unintuitive GUI of it which is why the developer designed GIMPshop.." http://gimpshop.en.softonic.com/

;)

Steve B
01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I've used Camstudio many times, downloaded it, etc. from the main site, and never had a problem, nor have I ever had any additional software secretly installed by it. It's an amazingly useful program that people should consider completely safe to use.

I don't mean to sound rude, but perhaps, Henry, you did not read something closely while installing it, where the Camstudio UI provided you checkboxes to install or not install various secondary programs? This is a relatively common (yet annoying) practice for a host of programs, and it may be possible that Camstudio followed a similar approach. If so, a person only has to be attentive and uncheck those boxes that are provided in the UI when installing the program. I can't say, from memory alone, if that is how it went with CamStudio, but if, that's how you do it. Additionally, one only need to go into ones Control Panel to uninstall the offending program if one inattentively allowed it to be installed.

However, I can say, with atleast the assurity of my own experience, that I've NEVER had anything secretly installed by Camstudio during my various uses and installations over the years. In truth, it's amazing that it's free and so powerful, and is a tool others should feel safe and lucky to be using for 0$.

My point isn't to say that you're lying or that your experience didn't occur. Clearly it did. However, I think it worth saying, given my personal extended experience, that I give the program my full recommendation, and wouldn't suggest that others need to be fearful of it at all.

Henry Stahle
01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I am an experienced computer user and I promise you there was no option to block this Malware from installing. Since I have used CamStudio before I did not expect anything this time.

Read about what happend here if you care http://www.go-remove-malware.com/remove-mysearchdial-toolbar-and-redirect-virus/

I feel bad about me being mistrusted and having some dumb declaration about me. I won't be back on this issue. I will just paint and draw.

Gms9810
01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Disregard my comment, I thought he said camtasia, nevertheless, I've used camstudio too and have never gotten any malware or junk with it.

Peter Pinckney
01-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Here's a screenshot of what I found when, out of interest, I downloaded Camstudio.......................after reading the small print it is possible not to accept the searchbar BUT very difficult.

It needs a large warning on these things as on cigarette packets.

Peter Pinckney
01-09-2014, 01:29 AM
As an update and again, out of interest, I tried Camtasia..................it didn't contain MysearchDial but did contain a load of other crap!

As Henry says "Be Warned."

Doug B
01-09-2014, 11:57 AM
As an update and again, out of interest, I tried Camtasia..................it didn't contain MysearchDial but did contain a load of other crap!

As Henry says "Be Warned."

Henry tried CAMSTUDIO, not Camtasia-which did you try?

(Camtasia is not free, it cost $299 usd.)

Peter Pinckney
01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Henry tried CAMSTUDIO, not Camtasia-which did you try?

(Camtasia is not free, it cost $299 usd.)

I tried Camtasia also out of curiosity after the apparent mixup of the names.......if you look at the screenshot I posted you'll see Camstudio....................

Doug B
01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
I tried Camtasia also out of curiosity after the apparent mixup of the names.......if you look at the screenshot I posted you'll see Camstudio....................

Unless you downloaded Camtasia from a warez site, it only contains Camtasia. I know, I own it.

Camtasia does not install software by other software compainies.

Peter Pinckney
01-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Downloaded here ...........and there are things attached.........something to do with managing mobile phone apps etc...............does that look like a warez site to you? You do get the option not to install the attached software.

I'm deep in the middle of copyright litigation to do with my music and for you to even hint that I would illegally download software is more than irritating!

Doug B
01-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Just as I thought, you were not at the company web site for Camtasia. Camtasia is made by TechSmith and their web site is here:

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

Softonic.com is a software download portal based in Barcelona, Spain, founded in 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softonic.com

Any objectionable software bundled with Camtasia was put there by Softonic. Were Softonic Toolbar or Softonic Downloader some of the software?

Always go to the developers web site for genuine downloads.

It also helps to get your facts straight and know what you're talking about first!:rolleyes:

Peter Pinckney
01-10-2014, 03:00 PM
"
Unless you downloaded Camtasia from a warez site"

Your sentence.
Softonic is not a "warez" site is it?

Ignore list...................you're the first one since I've been here.
Bye!

kaiko
01-10-2014, 06:28 PM
.... I feel bad about me being mistrusted and having some dumb declaration about me. I won't be back on this issue. I will just paint and draw.

Hi Henry,

I think you took Steve´s words in the wrong way. It would have been better to have checked if what he have wrote to you was right or not. there was not such a thing as a dumb declaration about you, as you suggested. He was absolutely polite.

What he actually explained, and explained very well, is that if you have malwares installed on your computer after having installed a genuine program, is because you allowed them to be installed.
During the installation, pay attention that when you click "continue" "Accept" or "OK" it may not be referring to the main program itself but to the malwares.

There are two ways for the malwares to be installed on a computer: using those square checkboxes already presented on the main window while installing your program [uncheck them], and (when there are no ckeckboxes) when you click "continue/accept/ok" (dont remember the exact words) without "cancelling" that part of the installation (the cancel click will not close the main window but will cancel the secondary program to be install)

Be careful though, even some of those installation package will ask you TWICE to install the same secondary (malware) program... :)

If you were an experienced computer user you would have paid more attention during the installation. :)

(English is not my native language)
Hope this help

Doug B
01-11-2014, 09:57 AM
"
Unless you downloaded Camtasia from a warez site"

Your sentence.
Softonic is not a "warez" site is it?

Ignore list...................you're the first one since I've been here.
Bye!

HINT: Note the my use of the word "Unless"

If not "warez" (so sue me, I used warez instead of malware-oh no! :rolleyes:) then Softonic most certainly uses malware, (Malware is short for malicious software, and is software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems.[1] It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software.[2] 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software. installing unwanted programs. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware)

I notice also that you totally ignored the part where I told you that techsmith.com is the proper developer site to download Camtasia from-not some questionable malware infested third party site.

BTW-Ignore away, how will I get over it? There, that does it-over and done with.:rolleyes:

Steve B
01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Definitely didn't mean anything offensive to Henry, but if he equates disagreeing with making personal attacks, that's his problem. Not trying to be huffy, just saying.

I don't think there's any issue with noting the malware Camstudio tries to install-- that's good to know about. But it is... well... free. And it works very well. It's an amazing tool, and it blows my mind that we all can use it for 0$. You just have to go into that with open eyes. For which Henry should be commended for pointing out.

I just don't think I'd make any sort of blanket statement that people should avoid Camstudio. It's an amazing tool, and should be used. Don't avoid it, IMO, just apply it appropriately. :)

ramp
03-08-2014, 07:33 PM
I just don't think I'd make any sort of blanket statement that people should avoid Camstudio. It's an amazing tool, and should be used. Don't avoid it, IMO, just apply it appropriately. :)

This is terrible advice. I can confirm that even with *very* careful installation Camstudio will install MySearchDial into Firefox, Chrome and IE. It also causes IE instability.

A quick search for "camstudio MySearchDial" shows many, many people have problems.

So, yes. Absolutely avoid this program. And no, it should not be used.

Someonesane
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM
This is terrible advice. I can confirm that even with *very* careful installation Camstudio will install MySearchDial into Firefox, Chrome and IE. It also causes IE instability.

A quick search for "camstudio MySearchDial" shows many, many people have problems.

So, yes. Absolutely avoid this program. And no, it should not be used.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you.

I've used the program for years, on at least three different computers, and have never seen "MySearchDial" appear anywhere (and I just now double checked my Firefox and IE browsers for it). As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's run into any sort of issue with it has either downloaded it from an untrustworthy source (read: not the official CamStudio Open Source page), or hasn't been paying enough attention during the installation process and missed the part where it asked they'd opt in to extras.

Henry Stahle
03-10-2014, 12:25 AM
This is a copy of a message from Adobe Community. It illustrates the problem that I ran into and lots of other people too. One has to be warned and very carful. Sometimes it is not enough. Even experienced persons run into the same problems as I did.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6103522

"He is not alone. Hardly. You need to do a general online browser search for the terms "Adobe Reader" paired with "MySearchDial," and you'll find this is a current and widely-reproducible problem. Your mistake is, perhaps, in thinking that people trust Adobe far enough any longer to come here FIRST for solutions to the problems the Adobe app installations are causing.

I just ran into the same problem this morning, when I performed an Adobe Reader update spurred by the Adobe Application Manager. I am a retired software engineer, and trust me I was exceedingly careful to select the 'No' button in response to every damned prompt to load associated crapware as I attempted to load the latest Adobe Reader.

I've just completed spending all frickin' day clearing my system, through a combination of registry edits, uninstall using the Microsoft-recommended "System Repair Engineer" application (since the Control Panel->Programs and Features dialog was unable to uninstall it), and browser re-sets."

Anyway, I am getting out of this forum for good, I just happend to have a look today and had recently followed the discussion on the Adobe Community about Adobes problems with the malware "MySearch Dial". So I thougt I wanted to inform you if you are interested. Have a nice life and keep on painting!

Someonesane
03-10-2014, 04:52 AM
"
I just ran into the same problem this morning, when I performed an Adobe Reader update spurred by the Adobe Application Manager. I am a retired software engineer, and trust me I was exceedingly careful to select the 'No' button in response to every damned prompt to load associated crapware as I attempted to load the latest Adobe Reader. "

The underlined is the very problem I was getting at. No matter how smart or sophisticated a person is, they're likely going to fall prey to the slight of hand a magician displays on the street. The person knows the magician is going to trick them, so they pay even closer attention to figuring it out, and they get tricked anyway. Why? Because the magician expects people to be looking for the trick and uses that against them. The man above claims he selected "No" in every response. Why? He assumed every prompt would ask something akin to "Would you like to instal this option as well", and thought he'd be opting out of it. Instead, the installer probably threw him a curve ball questions such as, "Would you like to opt out of this option", which would've required him to answer "Yes". It happens to the best of us. I know it does, because I've won bets with friends and family by sitting next to them and walking them through such installations, after they've done the very same thing. And I'm not above admitting that it's happened to me, as well.

D Akey
03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Ach. . . I wandered in off the street and I'm parched. Which one's are the bride and groom? Looks like I've got some catching up to do, lads. Nice shiner, by the way.

Raybrite
11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
It is good I found this one.
I recently was considering downloading Gimpshop. I noticed a wqarning from someone a few posts down not do download it.
I went to the Gimp site and asked about it and was told that when it began Gimpshop was a good program. then it was taken over by some guys who loaded it with Spyware and malware. It is not any good anymore unless you want to rebuild your computer to get rid of all the junk. You will also end up[ with an old version of Gimp after you do that.
If you want to get a good copy go to the Gimp site and download Gimp from them. I did and I am still back here. Always nice to have a bit of variety.
Ken

Henry Stahle
11-30-2015, 11:32 AM
It is good I found this one.
I recently was considering downloading Gimpshop. I noticed a wqarning from someone a few posts down not do download it.
I went to the Gimp site and asked about it and was told that when it began Gimpshop was a good program. then it was taken over by some guys who loaded it with Spyware and malware. It is not any good anymore unless you want to rebuild your computer to get rid of all the junk. You will also end up[ with an old version of Gimp after you do that.
If you want to get a good copy go to the Gimp site and download Gimp from them. I did and I am still back here. Always nice to have a bit of variety.
Ken

I use Krita (https://krita.org/)since it is a good paint and animation program. Free, just like Gimp, but way better for painting.