PDA

View Full Version : Filter for advanced selections

jmac
12-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I read an article by hanzz on making advanced selections. In it he lists a link for a free plugin called "ghost". I downloaded the plugin and put it in the Art Rage "filters" folder but when I choose "edit > filters" there is nothing there. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. How do you install a plugin in AR? I am using AR 4. Thanks.

Someonesane
12-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Be sure you've downloaded the proper version of the program to run on your system (Windows VS Apple). If you're sure you've downloaded the right one and that you've put it in the correct folder (Tools > User Content > Open ArtRage Filters Folder), then it might be that you need to close and reopen ArtRage, before it'll show up in the filter list. So be sure to close the program, after putting the filter file into the folder.

If you're using the filter to follow along with Hanzz's tutorial, you could also skip the filter step, by exporting the black and white layer as a .png image (Right click on the layer on the Layer panel, select Export Layer and then save it as a .png). Once you've exported the image, you can then use the Stencil Panel to import the exported image back into artrage as a stencil (using the Stencil Panels menu to "Select Stencil from Disk"). Since ArtRage can make any image into a stencil and understands the lighter colors as being "solid" and the darker colors to be "porous", the imported stencil will produce the same outcome the filter will have provided.

jmac
12-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Yes I tried it several times, closing and reopening Art Rage each time but no luck, and I have the correct version for mac. I'll do the work around if necessary but was hoping to get the plugin to work just for future understanding.

Is it possible that you have to have something selected in order for the filter to show in the list? I wasn't actually following along with the tutorial, I was just trying to get the plugin in the right place for when I was ready work thru the video.
When I select edit>filter all I see is a greyed out selection that says "Redo last filter" even though the plugin is in the filters folder.

Someonesane
12-17-2013, 08:27 PM
It's been a little while since I've had to add a new filter to the program, but from what I recall, it was as easy as dropping the file in the folder and reopening the program. I use a Windows OS though. I've just shut my system down for night (posting from ipad now), but I'll try adding the windows version he posted tomorrow and see if works.

Rondo
12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes indeed,as easy as that.....just drop in the filter folder and re open Artrage.... I have done it today.....

jmac
12-17-2013, 09:02 PM
I loaded a photo and went thru the steps in the tutorial up to the point where you open the filter and it's not there... or more precisely it is in the correct folder but it does not show in the list under edit >filter. If I choose Tools>user content>open Art Rage filter folder, I see the filter right where it should be but again, I can't select it under the edit menu. If I click on the filter it tries to launch Photoshop. I'm out of ideas.

Rondo
12-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Maybe you did but i ask anyway......did you point the preference to the filter folder? (Artrage preference).

markw
12-18-2013, 12:32 AM
I loaded a photo and went thru the steps in the tutorial up to the point where you open the filter and it's not there... or more precisely it is in the correct folder but it does not show in the list under edit >filter. If I choose Tools>user content>open Art Rage filter folder, I see the filter right where it should be but again, I can't select it under the edit menu. If I click on the filter it tries to launch Photoshop. I'm out of ideas.

Sorry to have to say this jmac but forget it!
In 3 years of using AR I have yet to find a single filter, bought or free, that will work in the Mac version:(

And to any one else out there using AR on a Mac, if you have any working filters even if its just 1, pleas, pleas, pleas tell us where you got it and how you got it to work!

Someonesane
12-18-2013, 04:44 AM
I have 36 of the .8bf files found in the zip opened and working within ArtRage on my Windows system. There's actually 73 .8bf files within the zip, but from what I can tell of the file names, they're mostly duplicated filters, for different bit handling (8bit - 64bit). So, in ArtRage, I'm seeing at least one instance of each filter appearing on the menu. Of the 36, there is only one that doesn't work, titled "Pixel Trash". It's show up on the menu, but using it has crashed my AR program twice (and lost me my preference settings :mad:).

In the past, I've just dragged the filters I wanted to use into the ArtRage filters folder manually and restarted the program. However, I tried something different today, which may work better for those of you on Macs (but I can't be certain, so don't hold me to it). What I did today, was opened ArtRage, gone to Edit > ArtRage Preferences and under the "Filters" group, clicked on the Plus sign button and added the folder holding the .8bf files to the list there. I was then prompted to close and reopen ArtRage. I can't think of a reason why that'd really change anything, but it might be worth a try.

jmac
12-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Rondo I did point the preferences to the filters folder even though it specifically says Ar will look in the filters folder automatically. Still no luck.

Markw...Thanks. That is what I was afraid of...Oh well. Maybe in another version.

markw
12-18-2013, 07:06 AM
I have 36 of the .abr files found in the zip opened and working within ArtRage on my Windows system. There's actually 73 .abr files within the zip, but from what I can tell of the file names, they're mostly duplicated filters, for different bit handling (8bit - 64bit). So, in ArtRage, I'm seeing at least one instance of each filter appearing on the menu. Of the 36, there is only one that doesn't work, titled "Pixel Trash". It's show up on the menu, but using it has crashed my AR program twice (and lost me my preference settings :mad:).

In the past, I've just dragged the filters I wanted to use into the ArtRage filters folder manually and restarted the program. However, I tried something different today, which may work better for those of you on Macs (but I can't be certain, so don't hold me to it). What I did today, was opened ArtRage, gone to Edit > ArtRage Preferences and under the "Filters" group, clicked on the Plus sign button and added the folder holding the .abr files to the list there. I was then prompted to close and reopen ArtRage. I can't think of a reason why that'd really change anything, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion Someonesane but sorry, no dice on adding the filters folder to AR's preferences. I tried that too a long time ago!
AR on Macs just can't see the filters.

Just for clarity, Someonesane you refer to .abr files, but that is the extension for PhotoShop brushes, no? not filters.
The format PhotoShop filters use is .8bf on Windows I think and shows as .plugin on Macs.

Someonesane
12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Someonesane but sorry, no dice on adding the filters folder to AR's preferences. I tried that too a long time ago!
AR on Macs just can't see the filters.

Well, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, then. Maybe one of the AR crew will be able to sort it out. I pretty sure Macs can use filters though, because I've seen people posting filters that were tailored to Macs alone.

Just for clarity, Someonesane you refer to .abr files, but that is the extension for PhotoShop brushes, no? not filters.
The format PhotoShop filters use is .8bf on Windows I think and shows as .plugin on Macs.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm getting over (well trying to get over) a cold I've had for the past few days, so I'm going to attribute that oversight on my cold medicine, lol. I was most definitely trying to refer to the .8bf file extensions. How I got snagged on .abr is beyond me.

hinket
12-18-2013, 11:38 AM
I have a Mac, and just checked this out in AR4 and the plugins are in the Documents>ArtRage Paintings>CustomContent>Filters.
However they are greyed out in ArtRage4 when I open a painting.
And when I opened preferences and reset it to look in Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 8/Plug-ins it did pick up the new plug-in folder
I had just installed in PSE8. But it is stilled greyed out in AR4.

Funnily enough, in AR Studio Pro they are both there fully and I have no problem using them, well one of them, as I had nothing available for what that plug-in can do. :)
Iím assuming something is still missing in AR4, that was properly there in StudioPro.

@markw

The one is the Flaming Pear/Freebies for Mac.
Link: http://www.flamingpear.com/goodies.html

The other is at this link, also free.
Link: http://bergdesign.com/plugins/
*Several versions included in the download, I used this version: Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS4: *(I was able to use these after changing the folder name to just Photoshop)*

By the way, some of the Flaming Pear ones need to be done on a copy layer in PSE8, or they will crash the program. It has to do with how Photoshop locks the background layer if that is where you have the painting or photo opened. And those same plug-ins, eg.pixeltrash, crash Studio Pro also, so, just work on the duplicate layer.

markw
12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi hinket,
Well all I can say is that you are most fortunate that you can get them to work in StudioPro!!!
Could you give a little more information as to exactly which filters you have that are available to you in AR StudioPro?
I also have plugins from both the sites you suggested and they've never shown in any version of both AR StudioPro 3.5 or AR4 here.
Which Mac OS are you using, maybe that's a factor? (See my signature for mine)
Attached is what I always see when selecting 'Filters' in AR. The first is from StudioPro the second is AR4.

78460 78461

hinket
12-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Hey Markw,
Iím still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8. While waiting for a stable copy of Mountain Lion, Mavericks came out. Now waiting out the Beta testing the early starters are doing.
Iím not in any rush, Snow Leopard works fine for me, I have no devices (other than a Kindle) and am not interested in using iCloud either. Only reason I would go to Mavericks is because it is probably the last update my iMac will be able to use, Then again, if I save some money, and an updated Mac mini comes out, that might be the way to go.

So what is Mountain Lion doing differently that could be interfering with the plug-ins, I wonder? Is it possibly the Gatekeeper stuff?
On second thought, probably not, as A4 is used in Snow Leopard as well. :D

markw
12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the extra info hinket.
Sadly though it has only served to darken the waters still further for me. I was hoping you would say that you are still running Leopard or something even earlier!

I put my copy of Snow Leopard on another drive before changing to Mountain Lion (I didn't want to give it up either!) but all I ever got when it was my main drive was the same as I previously posted.
The copy of AR StudioPro on that drive is 3.5.5. As an experiment I just installed 3.5.11 on it but still no dice for me even in Snow Leopard.
Now the only difference I can think of between your system and mine is the hardware, your on an iMac and I'm on a Macbook Pro. But that surely can't make the difference can it? They both have the same OS after all. I'm totally baffled by this:confused::confused::confused:

It could just be that you have the only Mac version of AR with access to filters! Guard it well!

hinket
12-19-2013, 11:20 AM
markw
See the attached link.
As I did not have Mountain Lion installed, there did not seem to be any point in installing that update.
My last version is ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5.4.
Perhaps you could try this version on your Snow Leopard drive?
Incidentally. ARPro 3.5.5 is when some Gatekeeper stuff was put in ArtRage.

LINK: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?41193-ArtRage-Studio-amp-Pro-3-5-5-Available

I wonder if you might want to put this info in the Technical forum? That is, if it works for you in ARPro3.5.4 as well.