PDA

View Full Version : Girl with a diamond earring

Niloc
12-12-2013, 11:37 AM
My latest work, where I am striving to improve the tone of skin in my paintings whilst keeping the image vibrant and fresh.

Caesar
12-12-2013, 10:25 PM
A most appreciated masterpiece by Veermer is a fine excercise and a real challenge, dear mate.
If I may transfer You some lessons I learned, to tone down and make a darker color of a base one, You should use both a darker tone of that color and some of the complementary color. Although the tones do give the impression of a round head, the flesh hues here are a too dark, intense and warm, salmon/ "fired clay" (terracotta) I'd say, with reduced transparencies and reflectivity with reference to a human skin, especially for a dutch girl. Maybe working with more, thin layers may helpful to improve on it. If I'm not wrong there must be also a tutorial on flesh tones in the tutorial section herebelow which may give You some other hints about painting flesh and skin ...

Niloc
12-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks Caesar for taking the time to offer your advice and tips. I will seek out the tutorial and you are probably right about using thinner layers. Cheers

Niloc
12-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I have tried to create a more subtle version with smoother skin tones after researching the tutorials

chinapete
12-15-2013, 03:54 AM
In the softened version, the eyebrows come alive as simple calligraphic curves ...