PDA

View Full Version : Bell Pepper & Orange

copespeak
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Vegie for a change!

Caesar
12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Very painterly and masterfully executed. You're a real artist, dear mate!

copespeak
12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Thank you lovely Caesar! You're not too bad yourself! xx

screenpainter
12-04-2013, 09:11 PM
beautiful. the early salon impressionists got nothin' on you. just amazing style. it's like Cezanne and Van Gogh had a child. luv this!

copespeak
12-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Too kind methinks, but thank you! I am having fun.

Here's another.

Caesar
12-05-2013, 02:09 AM
WOW! Look at the trasparencies and to the juicy impression of these segments! The toned down complementary background is a masterful touch too. Great!

D Akey
12-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Looks generally cool. I think for my 'taste' I always liked to indicate overall forms and colors and one can get loose on that. But there are some key areas where to make it read, a little precision was required. Right now the pics look kind of fuzzy rather than it having a sketched appearance. I understand it's a balance between sketchy looseness and depicting the subject. You never do bad pictures. It's just a matter of finessing a little bit of it to extend the artistic range.

But as an example, the water droplets only look to me like water droplets because I know that's what belongs there. So maybe it's not a matter of trying to retain a quick style, but knowing when to go in and pull it all together with a precise mark or two. When you explore this style, you might want to extend your visual vocabulary within this style into something not unlike a vocabulary where you have specific words for certain purposes. Loose and also precise.

I think the idea of doing small things to sell to people for their kitchen is a good idea. They have people doing those kinds of theme decorative pics locally over here in touristy galleries as well and from what I understand they sell pretty decently -- roosters and pigs and barnyard kinds of subjects. I would imagine that garden items would fall right into that category.

stevemawmv
12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Nicely done Robyn!
Your oranges fit quite well with your apples and cherries paintings!
As for bell peppers, like them stuffed and baked! But none the less,
enjoyed all your veggies and fruit offerings! Thanks for the my
recommended daily Veggie and fruits requirements'!
Take Care,
Steve

copespeak
12-05-2013, 08:27 AM
I hear what you're saying Mr Akey, and do agree, thank you!

Also, I think saving it at 800p makes it larger that it would be printed, so it's overblown somewhat?

It was pretty late at night when I finished after very sad day of distracting myself from hearing a dear friend had died suddenly.

I might tighten it up today and repost. :)

I may never bother printing them, I am just exploring possibilities.

Thank you Caesar and Steve! I'm glad you're getting your vitamins Steve! :cool:

Edit: Slightly tighter, and presented smaller. That's it!

justjean
12-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Wonderful pepper and now I'm wanting one to eat, love eating them with dip and your second orange looks great with more colour :D

D Akey
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh, I'm sorry for the shock of your loss, Robyn. The fact that you could do anything at all is to your credit. That's the danger in posting a critique online without any context. It's always possible to say something that isn't appropriate at that time when there are bigger life concerns than technique of a painting.

As to pixel size, I don't know. I have heard arguments pro and con. Personally I like bigger pics that I can reduce. It's always safer to reduce than enlarge. But I would think there are experts around who could answer it better than I. My info is probably antiquated.

Anyway, I think it's a viable idea. But if you could try printing out a couple when you're satisfied and see if anyone buys them, that would be the proof in the pudding. People like homey things for the home, I think. And these are.

By the way, I like your edit. And never think you need to change something for me or because I said it. It's more for filing away to consider when you are in a place that info might be useful to you.

Feel better.

I hear what you're saying Mr Akey, and do agree, thank you!

Also, I think saving it at 800p makes it larger that it would be printed, so it's overblown somewhat?

It was pretty late at night when I finished after very sad day of distracting myself from hearing a dear friend had died suddenly.

I might tighten it up today and repost. :)

I may never bother printing them, I am just exploring possibilities.

copespeak
12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Not a worry dear Mr Akey, how could you know? I always appreciate your opinion, and the time you take to think it through and write it. :)

As to size, I was only talking about presenting it for viewing on the forum..... making it (appear) bigger than you might see it printed out leaves too many unnecessary details.

I do like to make it larger in construction for sure, though my A3 printer is about where usually I leave it, not going for big canvas prints etc. I like the processing to be quick and free, and too many pixels slows it up.

pat1940
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Robyn, I just love this work, I am viewing it on my iPad 4 and the colors are beautiful, great paintings

screenpainter
12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Robyn. Also excellent. loving your style and how it has evolved so much. Also very saddened to hear of the loss of your friend.

Raybrite
12-05-2013, 07:22 PM
And now I am getting hungry again.
Nice

copespeak
12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes, it's interesting how you can evolve if you keep working at it. Like natural media, you find the tools that suit, and your style just develops.

My friend? Yes, so sad and such a shock. He had cerebral palsy and a heart attack took him out. Googling on it and I read cardiac issues can arise at 40s onwards. Despite his disability, he did have a good life and was much loved by all.

Henry Stahle
12-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I like your way of rendering your motifs. They are a bit sketchy and loose, painterly and graphic looking at the same time. That is what I like, not too presice. Just enough. I like it!

coops
12-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Love these Robyn, they look good enough to eat. I really can see them on a kitchen wall. :)
Friends are precious, my thoughts are with you:)