PDA

View Full Version : I need some guidance ....

Elena
11-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello!

My name is Elena and I live currently in Shanghai as an expat.
When I have a bit of time, I like to paint, but to be honest, I am only at the beginning of this creative road and I really need some guidance and constructive criticism.

Some of my friends tell me that my paintings are quite good and that I should try to paint more. Maybe even professionally. But I`m not so sure about it.

I would appreciate your thoughts regarding my paintings :)

So below are a few of my paintings.

I really hope to receive some honest opinions and helpful advices.

:)

copespeak
11-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I take it that these are not digital, but shots of your natural media paintings?

You do have ability, and it will be interesting how you can translate that in Art Rage.

stevemawmv
11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Welcome Elena,

Your friends are correct. Your paintings are quite good! And definitely you should paint more!
You've offered four examples of your work, in three different categories of subject matter.
I'm not going to critique them, but I'm sure one could give one's analytical critique based on their
lengthy quantitative analysis of your work presented here.

But whats a critique going to give or help you with, it's just one's opinion. These paintings are yours alone, no one else's! To be enjoyed by you, your friends and all viewing them. Criticism may come, and usually doesn't require a invitation. Advise will come when you start posting your work, and you will find it quite useful and given in a friendly way.

Instead!.......
Your friends like them, I like them and I'm sure once you show them in the gallery others will agree!
As for "guidance", your doing well on your own!
We all benefit with 'tips' from others, but the choosing how to use them is your choice alone.

It's your work, are you happy with it?. Keep painting, Each new one , becoming more confident
and familiar with yourself and understanding what and how you want to portray your imagery will help you develope your own style.
Check out the gallery and see everyone's work, it can be very enjoyable and can be a valuable learning tool.
I've enjoyed your offerings,
and hope we see more of them!
Take Care,
Stevemawmv

P.S.
Upload your Artrage paintings to the 'gallery forum', I'm quite sure others would enjoy seeing them!
'Critique forum' can be lonely at times!
Again, enjoyed them,
That's means I liked them!
Steve

chinapete
11-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Nice paintings...

Elena
11-25-2013, 01:54 AM
I take it that these are not digital, but shots of your natural media paintings?

You do have ability, and it will be interesting how you can translate that in Art Rage.

Hi Copespeak, thank you a lot for your comment.
Yes, these are acrylic media paintings, my beginnings in art so to speak.
I am also very curious to try to create some artworks with Art Rage, as a matter of fact, I`m downloading it right now to try it out.

:) Will see how it turns out for me.

Elena
11-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Welcome Elena,

Your friends are correct. Your paintings are quite good! And definitely you should paint more!
You've offered four examples of your work, in three different categories of subject matter.
I'm not going to critique them, but I'm sure one could give one's analytical critique based on their
lengthy quantitative analysis of your work presented here.

But whats a critique going to give or help you with, it's just one's opinion. These paintings are yours alone, no one else's! To be enjoyed by you, your friends and all viewing them. Criticism may come, and usually doesn't require a invitation. Advise will come when you start posting your work, and you will find it quite useful and given in a friendly way.

Instead!.......
Your friends like them, I like them and I'm sure once you show them in the gallery others will agree!
As for "guidance", your doing well on your own!
We all benefit with 'tips' from others, but the choosing how to use them is your choice alone.

It's your work, are you happy with it?. Keep painting, Each new one , becoming more confident
and familiar with yourself and understanding what and how you want to portray your imagery will help you develope your own style.
Check out the gallery and see everyone's work, it can be very enjoyable and can be a valuable learning tool.
I've enjoyed your offerings,
and hope we see more of them!
Take Care,
Stevemawmv

P.S.
Upload your Artrage paintings to the 'gallery forum', I'm quite sure others would enjoy seeing them!
'Critique forum' can be lonely at times!
Again, enjoyed them,
That's means I liked them!
Steve

Hi Steve!

Thank you so much for the warmth welcome and all the nice things you said. Certainly gives me hope and courage to paint more!

Reading your advices, makes me wanna come out more often out of my shell and stop doubting myself:)
So, thanks for that.

I`ll follow your advice and for now I`ll try to paint without thinking of anything else, concentrating only on my visions, colors, shapes and the happiness it brings me ...as for the other things go, I think you are so right when you said " Criticism may come, and usually doesn't require a invitation. Advise will come when you start posting your work, and you will find it quite useful and given in a friendly way."
I definitely should remember this!

Thank you again for the lovely comment and advice.

Elena

My blog - www.elenahasnas.weebly.com

Elena
11-25-2013, 02:08 AM
Nice paintings...

Hello :)

Thanks so much. I appreciate your kind words a lot.

Elena

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Elena, you don't need any guidance. Come to the gallery section to show off your works once you get the hang with Artrage. For what it matters I like the horse painting the best, second one the bull. Try to paint them in an environment. Keep up the good work!

Elena
11-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Hi Elena, you don't need any guidance. Come to the gallery section to show off your works once you get the hang with Artrage. For what it matters I like the horse painting the best, second one the bull. Try to paint them in an environment. Keep up the good work!

Hi Andrea,

Thanks so much for visiting my page and for your advice.
I will certainly try to paint animals in an environment ..the only problem is, I tried once, but I failed :)
It got too tricky when painting things with perspective "near-far". For me, all the things looked near, although they were meant to be far far away.
Gotta keep on trying :)

I`m learning as I go, hopefully will get the hold of it soon.

Elena

markw
11-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Hi Andrea,

"...It got too tricky when painting things with perspective "near-far". For me, all the things looked near, although they were meant to be far far away...

Damn Renaissance! until then the whole near/far thing was never an issue;)

Elena
11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Damn Renaissance! until then the whole near/far thing was never an issue;)

Hey Mark,
:D:D:D Quite right!
Thanks for visiting my page!

By the way, I`ve downloaded the demo of Art Rage and played a bit with it today. I`m still deciding if I should buy it or not.

I`m still not used to it, but it`s got some cool stuff for sure.

I had a problem with the size of brushes, I couldn`t manage to paint the details and the smaller parts of this artwork as precise as I wanted. :(
I`m wondering if somebody else also had this problem and how it can be solved to improve the quality of digital painting.

Anyway, I attach my first art rage painting, as always any critiques and advices are welcome :)

Elena

Mirithiar
11-27-2013, 09:27 PM
What brushes, at what sizes and what zoom were you using? Are you working with a mouse or something with pressure sensitivity? Is your pressure sensitivity adjusted accordingly? I found that I needed to adjust mine to soft - now I can make really thin, almost non-existent lines. When I want to work on detail I zoom in lots too and use only certain brushes as some are meant to be bigger (e.g. glazing brushes).

The painting is nice, I like it :)

markw
11-28-2013, 01:26 AM
With regard to the size of brushes, in addition to what Mirithiar has said, I would say one of the biggest factors for how small they will go will be the resolution/size you have set your painting to be when you start.
AR's default is 72dpi, which is OK for a computer screen but not so good for fine detail or printing.
Some options:
Always start a project by going to File > New Painting and click on the 'Print' tab to set up your canvas.
(You can also save Size and dpi as Presets in there too).
Unless you have very specific requirements, try working between 200dpi and 300dpi. This will effectively give you "smaller tools" to work with and should still give sufficient image resolution for anything you may want to print/put on your FAA site without slowing AR down to much.
(One thing to remember is the bigger the canvas size and dpi the more work AR has to do and depending on your computers CPU speed things can start to slowdown. It all becomes a bit of a balancing act!)

Another option later on, if you find you always set up a new canvas the same way, is to save that initial setup as a "blank canvas". Then in the future you can just launch that file and do a 'Save As…' before you start putting paint to canvas. I have several "pre-made" canvases like this in a "Favorites" folder. A big advantage of these is that they can contain additional Overlay paint texture layers etc… already set up and all I have to do is start scribbling!

Elena
11-28-2013, 09:46 PM
What brushes, at what sizes and what zoom were you using? Are you working with a mouse or something with pressure sensitivity? Is your pressure sensitivity adjusted accordingly? I found that I needed to adjust mine to soft - now I can make really thin, almost non-existent lines. When I want to work on detail I zoom in lots too and use only certain brushes as some are meant to be bigger (e.g. glazing brushes).

The painting is nice, I like it :)

Hi Mithiar,

Well, actually I tried to "play" a bit with both the size and the zoom, but still the fine details could not be painted as meticulously as I wanted.
At the moment, I`m using the mouse, I am used to it - cause for Photoshop I also use it just fine :)
In any case, I`ve given AR only one try so far, so I`ll try to paint more and hopefully will manage to create my artworks as perfect as I want :)

Thanks a lot for your input!

Elena

My blog: www.elenahasnas.weebly.com

Elena
11-28-2013, 10:01 PM
With regard to the size of brushes, in addition to what Mirithiar has said, I would say one of the biggest factors for how small they will go will be the resolution/size you have set your painting to be when you start.
AR's default is 72dpi, which is OK for a computer screen but not so good for fine detail or printing.
Some options:
Always start a project by going to File > New Painting and click on the 'Print' tab to set up your canvas.
(You can also save Size and dpi as Presets in there too).
Unless you have very specific requirements, try working between 200dpi and 300dpi. This will effectively give you "smaller tools" to work with and should still give sufficient image resolution for anything you may want to print/put on your FAA site without slowing AR down to much.
(One thing to remember is the bigger the canvas size and dpi the more work AR has to do and depending on your computers CPU speed things can start to slowdown. It all becomes a bit of a balancing act!)

Another option later on, if you find you always set up a new canvas the same way, is to save that initial setup as a "blank canvas". Then in the future you can just launch that file and do a 'Save As…' before you start putting paint to canvas. I have several "pre-made" canvases like this in a "Favorites" folder. A big advantage of these is that they can contain additional Overlay paint texture layers etc… already set up and all I have to do is start scribbling!

I think your solution to this matter is brilliant, really!
Thanks a lot of your advices and guidance.
While painting my very first painting, I tried many ways (with brushes sizes, zooming etc), but your solution with adjusting the resolution seems very reasonable.
I`ll definitely give it a try next time and let you know how it turned out :)

But I must say, in regard to this, I think that Photoshop is a bit better, no matter the zoom or brush, everything is easy adjustable and I can still make it as fine detailed as I want.
Other than that, AR is a lovely software :)

Elena

stevemawmv
11-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello Elena,
Not going to ask you alot of questions, fore 'I'm new to Artrage as well!
Also, I tend to let my words just go on and on!....As in my previous repy.
Just want to say,... I like your first painting in 'AR', and would like to see more!

Take care!
Stevemawmv

P.S.
Enjoyed visiting your Blog,
I like 'Two little birds', do I sense
a local influence in this painting?

Whoops!..Words!
Did it again!

Elena
11-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Hello Elena,
Not going to ask you alot of questions, fore 'I'm new to Artrage as well!
Also, I tend to let my words just go on and on!....As in my previous repy.
Just want to say,... I like your first painting in 'AR', and would like to see more!

Take care!
Stevemawmv

P.S.
Enjoyed visiting your Blog,
I like 'Two little birds', do I sense
a local influence in this painting?

Whoops!..Words!
Did it again!

Hi Steve

Wow, you really liked my first painting in AR? Thanks a lot!
Such praise gives me more confidence and more courage !

I know exactly what you mean when you say that sometimes words just come out ..
I confess, I have the same problem, I tend to "over-do" things and to "over-talk" everything (if I might say it this way)

About my latest painting with the birds from my blog, oh yes - I am definitely under chinese influence at the moment :D
The old chinese paintings are so beautiful ... I guess, would be strange for me (or anyone for that matter) to be in China and not to get exposed to some of its culture and art

Elena

stevemawmv
11-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Yes, I do like it!
Give AR some more time, I'm learning new things daily using it, and quite happy with the results!
As for the 'Chinese influence', in 'Two little birds', beautifully done!

I just started painting recently in 'AR' myself, and would like your opinions on my attempts painting with it?...
So!....Visit my thread and let me know what you think.
http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv-Paintings-and-Stuff-(NEW-UPDATE-11-27)
Just my way of 'inviting you into the Gallery Forum'!...' Remember', what somebody once said.."'The 'Critique Forum' can be lonely at times!"

Take Care,
and keep painting,
Steve