PDA

View Full Version : Stevemawmv's Gallery (Shared Reflections.....)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

stevemawmv
10-23-2013, 05:02 PM
All Current Paintings...Thanks For Looking...Comments Welcome!
1...'Morning'...Wanting him too see and be in a larger world.
2...'Questions'...Scene from favorite SCI-FI movie.
3...'Street'...Just a place in his time, long forgotten.
4...'Sunday'...My Mom with Friend, Standing in front of her Dad's grocery store...Late forties.
5...'Painting'...Non serious self portrait.

D Akey
10-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Looks good to me. If working on it makes you younger, I would suggest you keep working. Some people never manage to look younger no matter what they try. Probably could sell a heck of a lot of ArtRage if they put that on the packaging.

Nice job. Great physics.

copespeak
10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Steve, I really like your version of 'The Small Man with the Black Background' too!

Alexandra
10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Haha Steve, I love your expression!
May I play around with your painting? I have an idea.

justjean
10-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Great painting and you really got the look of the distance between the glasses and the face

Caesar
10-24-2013, 11:01 PM
It looks fine in that warm artificial light. Looking at it I guessed You could be a close relative to our dear master Hanzz, possibly the supreme caricaturist in Artrage! LOL:o

stevemawmv
10-25-2013, 06:11 AM
D Akey...Thanks for your words of encourgement and appreciation in a manner only you could give.
Ha HA!, just joking with you, Really do appreciate what you thought of the Pic.

Robyn...Thanks, but do I really have to rename it?, I'm 6'2", how bout we keep it inside our inside joke?
Thanks Again!

Sandy...I thought you would get a kick out of it, for your idea, go for it!
Have fun with it,
Thank you!

Jean,,,Thank you for your kind comments, for the glasses shading and reflections, did them about four times and will probably still try it again at a later date.
I'am glad you enjoyed the painting.

Caesar...Thank you for your kind compliments, I really like Hanzz's work, the most detailed caricatures I've ever seen.
Thank you!

Thanks Again!
Steve

Second Set With 'Not Dones'.....

Alexandra
10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi Steve, I did. I like the aura from your head as well. Or so this is what came across my screen. This is why I wanted to try this. I hope you like it or that you get at least a chuckle out of it.:o

stevemawmv
10-25-2013, 07:18 AM
I absolutely love it, reminds me of Sci Fi movies from the fifties!
Eighty+ put his spin/style on it as well.
Thank you,
Steve

Alexandra
10-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Haha Steve, I am so pleased you like it!

coops
10-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Nice work STeve, well done:)

stevemawmv
10-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Thanks coops,
I appreciate your comments!
Still going to keep the training wheels on!

And thank you dear Katie for my own Gallery......

eighty+
10-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Steve time you put on your racing Wheels as your lap time's are not looking good Vettel taken pole again :cool::cool::cool:

:cool::cool: :D :D :D :D :D :D SLAINTE

stevemawmv
10-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Eighty+
Sometimes the wheels and times are a deception, it's the stay'n in and the finish'n that matters, I figure If I can catch his Draft he pull me to second, Maybe not!
Vettel,
Talented young Lad,
Steve

stevemawmv
10-30-2013, 05:02 PM
OK!, Justjean's wonderfull painting "almost Home" compelled me to Watch one of my favorite Sci Fi movies the other night, and my evening continued on with this Messy all nighter, 'My Milk and Cookies must have kept me awake', anyway... had fun with it, put my own spin on it, No Smoke!, and did a background!.

NO!.... NOT a Vulcan smoking a dubious looking, cigarette thingy!

Hidden Painting!
Second painting is a 'UNDONE' PAINTING JUST FOR FUN AND PRACTISE!
Andrea, should get a kick out of it!

copespeak
10-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Just fabulous Steve! You've hit your straps! :)

D Akey
10-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Ah, Rachael definitely dreams of electric sheep. . . amazing movie. Very nicely painted. Really got the atmosphere and enigmatic look on her face. Also one of my favorite sci-fi movies. For me it edged out Star Wars at one point. But both were great. Anyway, she was so good as that character, I wonder how much was her and how much was Ridley Scott directing her.

Just for yammering, you probably are well aware of the controversy about the narration, with the studio demanding it be put in, and I think Scott didn't want it. Studio won. I've seen both with and without. I have to run the risk of getting blasted, I think the studio made the right call in that case. I thought the narration was brilliant. It was more like an old Raymond Chandler novel where you could get inside the head of the main character and listen to all the very colorful similes and the stuff that really identified that Noir Detective genre. It felt perfectly authentic to me. But there was strong resentment among fans and certainly the filmmakers over that detail. I guess if someone had made such an amazing masterpiece that the auteur deserved control to insure his vision got onto the screen. But I'm sorry, I like it as is. The director's cut didn't play better than the first release. I even dislike myself for siding with the suits. Oh well. . .

I think I'll pull that one off the shelf and watch it again. Great idea. It's been long enough and I may not have it entirely memorized anymore. :rolleyes:

Caesar
10-30-2013, 09:59 PM
A most fine painting here and I appreciate focus is concentrated on the face by leaving all details around more undefined.

AndreaMG
10-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Good job Steve! One of my fav movies. Great use of shadows and lights.

eighty+
10-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi Steve see weve stired u out of your slumbers and put your wets on and even thou your in his draft you won't catch that Boy

think with luck u might make onto the podium ;) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D SLAINTE

stevemawmv
10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Robyn...Thank you for your kind and encouraging compliment, I really appreciate it! I'm feeling just a little bit more comfortable in ArtRage, and painting in general!, So much more to learn, discovering new things daily and having blast doing it!
Thanks!

D Akey...Thank you Sir!, I enjoyed the Voice Over version as well! Scott hated it, Ford thought it was weird while doing it, but it did add that Chandler style of who the charactor is and what we should feel and see in the vision. OK!..,Great! now I'll be looking for 'Murder, My Sweet/Farewell, My Lovely ' or other Chandler adaptations for this weekend! Doesn't matter the size of the seed to get my mind going on something! I know, FOCUS!
Thanks!

Caesar...Thank you my Friend, glad you enjoyed it! Most of my Backgrounds are anyone's guess anyway! Most of the time they're just filler for lack of confidence on my part for the portrait image standing on it's own.
Really appreciate your kind comments,
Thanks!

AndreaMG...Thank You! The movie Does leave one with questions? Still working on my Shadowing and lighting blends, I'm glad you thought they worked on this one. 'Rachael...like Lindsay 'Troubled Ladies', But we love'em!
Thanks!

Eighty+...Oh..yeah!, had another nice Slumber after painting Rachael, Counting 'petrol powered Sheep' cornering my bed posts and dreamed of the next race!
Now, on to some practice laps!
Thanks!

justjean
11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Both the face and the b/g are great, Steve :)

stevemawmv
11-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Thanks Jean,
Glad you liked it!
Steve

coops
11-04-2013, 12:41 AM
This is a great potrait Steve, she really looks deep in thought, well done:)

stevemawmv
11-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks Coops,
'She's confidently anticipating the next question?
Thank you for the compliments, Always enjoy hearing from you,
Steve

Alexandra
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
What a great movie and character, Steve. Great job!

stevemawmv
11-08-2013, 09:03 PM
SANDY......!!!
Missed you on Halloween!!!, Hope your well, Stopped by your thread that night but nobody answered my knock!
Thanks for your comment on the Rachael painting.......
Love that movie,
Steve

eighty+
11-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi. Steve. Did U forget that song. Knock three times if U want Me. ;). :D:D:D

stevemawmv
11-09-2013, 01:06 AM
i'm so use to hearing "to knocks on the pipe" that , I gave up trying years ago!

eighty+
11-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Ho. Ho. Ho. A likely. Story. Some people will belive U. ;). :D. :D. :D

stevemawmv
11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Eighty+
Weren't knocks at all, think I got mice?
'Only visitors I seem to be getting these days!
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
11-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Paintings of my Children...'hard enough to get them in the same room togather, little alone on the same page' Which.... 'they can't manage that one either, they're all very different! And I love them for that!

First painting...'Morning'... 'Still in my Dark, hard blended, body slighty angled, something offset in the background, wierd angles mode...WHEW!!!

The second painting...'Street'... some of you have seen, sorry for this, the Boys have to be togather, 'at least on my page...

copespeak
11-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Such handsome fellows, and lovely paintings!

Caesar
11-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Wonderful portrait pair and the two look much alike. Masterfully painted and lively!

stevemawmv
11-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks Robyn,
Appreciate the compliments, The Boys..I'll let them know you think so!
Steve

justjean
11-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Both look great :)

D Akey
11-12-2013, 08:04 AM
You really got into the one fellow's hair. Nice attention to detail. I like how you did it. Yeah, both nice portraits. Well done you! Hope they liked the pics you made.

eighty+
11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Well Steve I. See your on the podium well done. Great portraits. Reckon you've got a lot of. Mice keep

U. Awake at night. Helps with the paint. ;). :D:D:D:D:D:D. SLAINTE

stevemawmv
11-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Caesar,
This is my feeble attempt at a 'Enigmatic expression portrait on 'Morning'...
I throughly enjoy experimenting with new ones, And will probably continue to do so!
Always good hearing from you,
and Thank you very much for your kind
comments!
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi Jean,
Thank you for your comment, glad you liked them!
The girls are next!
Again thank you.
Steve

stevemawmv
11-13-2013, 06:25 AM
D Akey,
Thanks for your comments regarding mine at Petes...
As for the boys...HAIR, Street's was a easy task!
Now for children....No Easy Task Somtimes!
No matter how hard I've tried and whished different paths for them......Well!..........
Thanks again for your comments,
Always appreciate Them!
Steve

Eighty+,
I Must have caught one 'hell of a draft' on that one....
'I Just locked the mice up and painted!
Thank you my friend for visiting the boys,
Steve

eighty+
11-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Yeah Steve a wilfull lot just like their old man :D you'll find it easy to go with the Tide:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

....... SLAINTE.

chinapete
11-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi steve,

Thanks for wandering over to comment on my thread ... It's great how you find much more depth in an interior ("Morning") than you do outside ("Street"), if Street is meant to be outdoors, I think it must be the way the lights blend ... I wonder whether you've looked much at Caillebotte, he's very underrated, but not at all understated! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Caillebotte

stevemawmv
11-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Eighty+
'That they be'!
Steve

Pete,
Thanks for viewing the boys....interesting comment! Yeah!...Street's background was just a place in his time, long forgotten..
'Morning'...Wanting him too see and be in a larger world.
Thanks again!
Steve

AndreaMG
11-16-2013, 03:06 AM
Hi Steve, great work. Despite the high detail I find it surrealistic in a certain way due to the angles and the two layers that clearly sit one over the other. Did you paint from reference or live?

stevemawmv
11-17-2013, 08:42 AM
AndreaMG,
Thank you!
Yeah!...'Detail, kinda got into it on this one, however not quite as much as in 'Waiting', think I almost developed carpal tunnel syndrome on that one! As for 'References, when I do use one, I do something kinda wierd, I purposely will reposition 'Everything about it, changing postion of the face, ten to twenty degrees, the eyes 'especially what the're gazing at, and of course my head tilts and posture angles...'only... in a effort to make it my own.

Hope you got your new displays, and... 'I too hope you find more time to paint!
Good hearing from you,
Thanks again!
Take Care,
Steve

AndreaMG
11-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Ok I get it, those angles give a distinctive tone to the paintings indeed:). As for the displays I got a Samsung S27C750 which accepts 75Hz signals and has a static contrast of around 5.000:1 (it'a a VA panel). It's so big that I had to give up to the idea of pairing two monitors, one for the reference picture and the other for the actual drawing (I wish I had a 4k monitor though ...:cool:). Anyway I ordered a surfacepro2 for my xmas gift in order to be able to paint even in the bed! Say hi to the boys! Cheers

stevemawmv
11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
AndreaMG,

Looking forward to you reviewing SurfacePro 2 when you get it!, 'it's on my list as well!....
Your 'Quote...."now I'm waiting for the girls!", I'm currently negotiating how the last one is to be portrayed, 'demands are being placed on me!....Think I'm going to loose!
Thanks again for your replies,
Looking forward for the 'polished Lindsay!
Take Care,
Steve

My Sons...

AndreaMG
11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
AndreaMG, Looking forward to you reviewing SurfacePro 2 when you get it!, 'it's on my list as well!....
Steve, as soon as it arrives I will post here my impressions. :) Ciao

stevemawmv
11-24-2013, 10:38 PM
CRASH!
'Thought you'd never leave me!
My computer died thrusday night!!!!
Brought home a loaner from work..been loading everything all night!
Good that I'm still employed!... I certainly can't afford a new right now!

@AndreaMG
looking forward for the review...
'By the way!.... Saw your request to our dear friend Caesar, 'he delivered splendidly as usual!
'Being inquisitive.. it's a good quality!...'Being naughty...it's Just plain fun!...'Specially when both desires generates such clever responses!
Take Care,
Steve

My Gallery:
http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 08:25 AM
CRASH!
'Thought you'd never leave me!

Sorry Steve, hope you didn't lose your paintings though! Unfortunately the surface I ordered get lost in the shipping process, so the review must be delayed:p Take care

stevemawmv
11-27-2013, 09:49 PM
'Sunday'

Simply just my Mother.. at eighteen with a friend standing in front of her fathers grocery store...
on a hot Arizona day.

The plan...
My mother gave me some old black and white photos... Water stained, sun exposure and every other imaginable damage
that sixty five years of being lost can do.
From time to time.. I'll try to recreate the images by painting them one at a time.
This one was torn inhalf and very faded!...So, I guessed at most of it....I picked the colors.

Take Care Everyone,
Steve

Caesar
11-27-2013, 09:59 PM
WOW! Dear Steve, this is the kinda illustration or painting of the shining American style of life of good old times I really love! Fantastic! Congrats!

copespeak
11-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Steve, that is just wonderful! Lovely bright crisp colours and mood. I love reviving old photos and you've done it in the nicest possible way. :cool:

chinapete
11-28-2013, 02:37 AM
It's a heroic painting, rescuing the moment and the memory in such vivid color! ... ps: I hope that one day my grandchildren will enjoy looking at old faded digital images of me :)

eighty+
11-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Hi Steve between U me and the doorpost I got completly lost ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D:D :D from your friend the Blind Bat :confused:

AndreaMG
11-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Steve, stunning work!! I like the mood and everything, actually I'm a bit envious...:p I'm looking forward the next ones! Take care;)

stevemawmv
11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Caesar!
All the photos are in really bad shape! Tried testing if they could be restored, 'but..no such luck!
Decided to paint them, leaving a hint of a what they really are...'Photos'!
Take Care my friend,
Steve

*Alright! Didn't catch this two reply thing!
If I had deleted this one, might have looked
like I changed my mind about something!
Been a long day with family and lots of food and,
oh, yes!..Drink, it was a holiday!

stevemawmv
11-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Caesar!
All the photos are in really bad shape! Tried testing if they could be restored, 'but..no such luck!
Decided to paint them, leaving a hint of a suggestion for what they really are...'Photos'!...But, such good ones though! My mother loves the end result..and I'm happy for that! I believe you and afew others would have done the same!

Thanks again for your for kind and encouraging
comments!
Take Care my friend,
Steve

Thank you, Robyn!
This first one is the beginning of a learning process for me! still trying to figure out how to get the details down looking through decades of deterioration!....Plus!.. Why were photos so small back then?
Always look forward to your comments
and advice!
May need some on this project from both of you!

Take Care,
Steve

*Downsized the image, It was losing to much definition for being a small painting, based on a small photo!

abbysdad
12-01-2013, 08:10 AM
That's fantastic. I really like the sign lettering and the way you captured the shadows in the door. Wonderful!

justjean
12-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Steve, your boys look great as well does your Mom and her friend :)

coops
12-02-2013, 01:36 AM
This has a lovely painterly effect, you must be very proud of this one. Well done:)

stevemawmv
12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
The 'Sunday' painting...

Caesar and Robyn!
My Thanks to you both, are
on the previous page!
Caesar had a double, and I
had way too many over the
Holiday!

Pete, Thanks for visting, and thank you for the encouraging comments.
As for digital, don't know the life span of a memory stick?..But think your grandchildren are going
to enjoy them!

Eighty+, Thanks for looking in! You kinda got me lost as well with your comment?
As for "Blind Bat"..HA! Hardly!... Not judging by the way you pull images out of little, bitty

AndreaMG, Thank you for your kind words, as for your comment "I like the mood and everything,
actually I'm a bit envious"...I appreciated that!... However! I was going to send all my work to
you, so you could finish them for me! Considering you do it so well!

D Akey, Thank you friend! I agree with, and highly appreciate your keen and professional
observations, and have come to depend on them! Glad you liked the first one, encourages me to do
more from time to time!

To all of you,
Take Care!
Steve

'Sunday' Image:http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78041&d=1385538444

My Gallery:

ADDED:
I lost so much detail doing such small images, need some suggestions!

stevemawmv
12-02-2013, 08:40 PM
'Sunday' Painting.

Chris, Thank you for visiting, and for enjoying the pic! Specially the lettering and shadows, you'd think they would have been easy? They were the hard parts!..Again!..Keep your children happy!

Jean, Thank you! Glad you like the Boys and Mom!
Means alot to me!....Also thanked you in your thread as well.

Coops, Thank you for your kind comment! And thanks for visiting!
I thanked you in your thread as well.

Thanks Again!
Take Care!
Steve

All My Paintings:

stevemawmv
12-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Knock on the door....Is this your iPAD?
Anyway, 'long story short'... found this in my ipad I lost in June, apparently 'Street' wasn't my first painting!
Sorry! ...Memory may be going faster then my vision. Obviously experimenting with a Rachael painting was on my mind earlier then 'Questions'.
Just whish I had picked a different picture to paint!...'Don't dig those padded shoulders!
Don't laugh, it really is my first painting!..'Confirmed' June/2013
Take Care,
Steve

My Gallery:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv

coops
12-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Wow a lot of centent in this one and my eyes are scanning all the little details. Nicely done:)

stevemawmv
12-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Thanks Coops!
I had forgotten this one, looking at it closely made me remember why I forgot it!
But it was my first attempt....
Thanks for visiting!
Take Care,
Steve

copespeak
12-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Well done Steve. A great colour scheme, and how did you find the patience to do all those piano keys?

AndreaMG
12-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi Dear Steve! You are obsessed with her I see :D The setting is seriously well done and it gives the whole picture a kind of surrealistic look (it's your style), but you have to redo her face and hands (keep the way she stares though) ;), the painting deserves it! Take care

stevemawmv
12-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks Robyn,
Yeah!.. The keys were tough, looking like a snake! Going to redo this someday on the desktop.
Thanks Again,
Take Care...
Steve

First attempt painting in a ipad,
forgot I did this, the ipad was
lost a week later, just got it back!

My Gallery:

abbysdad
12-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Nicely done!

I like using the artrage app on the ipad a lot. But it takes some getting used to compared to the desktop version. The lack of a straight line tool can be over come using templates and rulers with a decent stylus. But still, for anything like those piano keys, I'd either import the line art before coloring or leave them impressionistic and not go for the details on the app.

Fakepivot
12-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Those are some impressive Work, Love the Morning Portrait, Good job :)

Weeks
12-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Very well done Steve :) :)

Best,

Weeks

stevemawmv
12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks to everyone!

Andrea,... Thanks for visiting, This one being the first attempt in AR on a ipad,
definitely will get a redo someday on my more stable desktop!

Chris,... Thanks for your kind comments and visiting my thread, and for me...no more piano keys on the tablet!

Take Care,
Steve

'Piano':http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78175&d=1386439604

stevemawmv
12-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks!

Fakepivot,...Thank you for your comments, found yours... really like 'cave and a portrait, Bob Dylan, Dark Lord and Girl with purple hair', actually all of them!

Weeks,...Thanks for visiting my thread, looking forward to more of your 'In Progress' works.

Take Care,
Steve

kenmo
12-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Very nice indeed....look forward for more....:cool:

shekofte
12-11-2013, 03:51 AM
each of your paintings told me a story .
in future i wish to see a huge painting with large dimension (at least 2048 x 2048 ) , full of details and objects , so colorful ...
i just told my favorite :-)

Caesar
12-11-2013, 04:02 AM
I like very much also the last painting with the piano, a quite unconventional one indeed, looking at its keys ...

Alexandra
12-11-2013, 12:59 PM
These are wonderful additions, Steve. Handsome sons, and the backgrounds all wonderful.
Sorry I didn't get by for Halloween, but I was afraid you would let all the ghosts out of the closet!

stevemawmv
12-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Kenmo...Thanks for visiting, and your kind comments!
Cool site you have! Great Pic's!
Take Care!

Shekofte...I'm glad you enjoyed the paintings, and you saw stories in them!
And I am working on a large painting!
Thank you!

Again, thank you both!
Steve

Marilyn Anne
12-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Very interesting and very nicely done!

stevemawmv
12-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Caesar....Thanks, friend for visiting! "Piano, a quite unconventional one indeed"
OH, Yeah!....Maybe that's why she looking at it with reservations!
Thanks again!
Take Care!

Sandy....Good seeing you back! Thanks for the nice comments.
Don't worry about "ghosts out of the closet!" ...Maybe,... 'ghost from Christmas past'?
Thank you!

Marilyn...Always nice to hear from you! Thank you for your comments!
"Very interesting" Yeah, it's a odd group for sure!
Thanks!

Thank you all!

stevemawmv
12-13-2013, 09:18 PM
HI!
Trying to figure out which project to finish, my youngest Daughter is asking, my Mom too, got a ton of old photos to restore,
'and I keep going back to a character from a eighties Sci-Fi movie!
Anyway!...Here are some 'Starters" from me...or 'backburners', because I think my Daughter will win!
Obviously, she isn't one of these pic's!... I'm not that old!... Working on her painting now, hopefully before the 25th, it's going to be a gift!
Take Care All,
Steve

Gallery:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv

Caesar
12-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Quite natural for You to become such a fine portraitist, since it looks like female beauties of any age are evidently the distinctive feature of your family ... and they don't even have big Stalin-like moustaches!:eek::o;)LOL

copespeak
12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
They're both lovely, and I really like the chunky one. Great confident brush strokes! :cool:

coops
12-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Nice work again, like this thick paint, well done:)

chinapete
12-14-2013, 01:49 AM
These heads are almost talking ... wait, isn't that the name of a famous rock band? ... oh wait, that was way before your time :)

AndreaMG
12-14-2013, 01:50 AM
I vote for the sci-fi, Rachel looks stunning, it only needs some knife. Don't rush things, a painting is done when it's done, that said it will be a great xmas present for her! When done please post it!;)

justjean
12-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Both are lovely but do love the way you painted the younger lady :D

stevemawmv
12-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Caesar....Thanks! For your observations and kind comments, I may be heading in that direction.
And, fortunately!..'I'm the only one in our family with a Stash'!

Robyn....Thanks! I'm going with the 'chunky one' in between trying to finish my youngest Daughter's painting!
Playing around with your 'Fav' in 'Works in progress section', it's peaceful and quiet, and nobody bothers you there!
HA HA!

Coops.... Thanks! I think the popular vote is for that one as well, there all not done!
Someday, will have to get back to Mom though!

Pete...Thanks for visiting! I predate them all, I attended Hendrix, Doors and Janis Joplin concerts!
Given my age away now! HE HE!

Andrea....Yeah! I know, SCI-FI wins out! Taking my time, pushing the paint around and following my favorite quote advise,
"It's done when it's done!" My ask for some tips, though!

Jean....Glad you like them both! And unfortunately for my Mom, the younger lady might win out?

Again, Thank you all!
Steve

*Addition!
Found some more early attempts at painting from my lost ipad..These were never finished, and probably never will be!

Alexandra
12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
More great portraits Steve, I love the expressions!

HarlequiNQB
12-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I've been meaning to paint Sean Young for ages, and I can see you're drawn to her too - the first one of her you did was great, but this latest one is really impressive. I love the loose style you have going on in it, and the likeness is perfection! The one next to it (your mother? "Let me tell you about my mother") is also exceptional, but of course i can't judge the closeness of the likeness there :).

stevemawmv
12-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Hello Sandy,
Thanks for visiting, and your kind comments!
The first two 'Not Dones', I'm going to finish the first pic, since
that appears to be the popular one to do!
The last two, found in the ipad I lost and got back, they
were my first attempted paintings!
Thanks Again!
Take Care,
Steve

Added...Was sad after hearing of Peter's death, he will be missed!
Started a painting of him that night but never finished it.....

copespeak
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
You are being so productive Steve and doing beautiful work. Watching with interest. :)

D Akey
12-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Now I know where you got your bright personality -- and it ain't from Rachael. What a great pic of mom. Good choice. The expression you managed is most endearing. The Bladerunner girl is a little chiseled for a screen siren. But it's all in the overall painting style as a context. Great pics. Can't wait to see your daughter's treat -- after her for sure tho, if you know what's good for ya. :p

stevemawmv
12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Hello HarlequiNQB!
First! Thanks for stopping by! Great thread you have, and I enjoyed viewing all of your 'light speed' paintings!
Great stuff! Takes me eighty minutes just to pick my colors, little alone complete a painting! I admire your skill in pulling
these 'Quickies' off!
Thanks for the comments,
and enjoy your Holidays!
Steve

P.S. Enjoyed your Blog

Caesar
12-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Dear Steve, I like very much Your latest "light" paintings and not because I'm following some sort of diet.:o;)LOL They're classy artworks and keep Your personal style as shown in Your previous portraits.

HarlequiNQB
12-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you Steve, although to be honest the time taken does not include the amount of time spent staring at the screen wondering how I'm going to get started :)

Love your latest on Rachel by the way, you did a good job on her, "right down to a snapshot of a mother she never had." I suppose I should go and say that in the work in progress thread...

stevemawmv
12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Robyn....
The last pic's were just messing around on the ipad.
Someday might transfer them to the PC and finish them.
Thanks for visiting!

D Akey....
Your right, it's from Mom! She's got a wicked sense of humor!
I'm still trying to figure out how to finish her painting though.
As for 'Rach', feeling kinda guilty how I left her up there, I know
'BR' is one of your favorites as well.
Still working on the last Daughters painting, running out of time though!
Thanks for your kind comments!

Caesar....
They are certainly light! I was just starting to paint then, just experimenting with ArtRage for the first time on my 'constantly getting lost ipad'!
Hopefully, they are showing me what not to repeat!
But definitely have to finish Mom!
Thank you my Friend!

stevemawmv
12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Still working on this one, just felt bad on how I presented her up there!
Working on this one, from time to time, with help!... in Work in progress section.
Again, this isn't finished yet!
Thank you all, and enjoy your Holidays!
Steve

Caesar
12-18-2013, 01:11 AM
You're a master portraitist, dear Steve (apart from a funny comedian able to have us all laugh-rolling with Your comments) and Your daughter is a real beauty, better than many movie actresses, such as the protagonists of Twilight or Hunger Games who, still, are so popular among youngsters.
My compliments for both Your masterpieces (the portrait and Your daughter) and and best wishes to You all once again.

coops
12-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Love the gentle shadows on this brilliant work. Well done:)

copespeak
12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
She's looking very good! Presenting her as she goes gives us an understanding of your work process, which is always interesting. :cool:

stevemawmv
12-18-2013, 05:17 PM
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a407/stevemawmv/HORRORGIF_zpsf0bb7c99.gifHello HarlequiNQB,
Yeah, I don't think anybody really includes that time! Spent endless hours staring at a partial reflection of my face as well. Then, only to find myself loading a previously started painting, that on a different night, had caught myself staring at! And Then... OH!....I meant to get back to this one!
Anyway! I have fun doing it!
Thanks for visiting!
Have a great Holiday,
Steve

stevemawmv
12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello Caesar,
Now, this is the second time in my life that a young woman has mistakely been thought to be my daughter!
'Awkward', it was the first time!.... This image is actually a character from a writers imagination, refined by a screen
writer, and tutored by a director. I already have enough children, this one would have broke the bank!
My youngest will be posted by next week, providing I finish it. I should have made this more clear to everyone, my fault!
Thank you my friend,
Steve

'Rachael'
Not Done...
Still working on this one, just felt bad on how I presented her up there!

D Akey
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I didn't think Rachael could get any sexier. I still think that was Sean Young's stand out role by far. Was like watching an enchanted sculpture or deity with some nearby incense burning in her ubiquitous cigarettes or archetype possessing a less animate object, maybe not altogether comfortable in that form. I think in your painting you captured the essence of the presence she created and converted her back into an image, only barely. Feels as if she could move at any moment.

justjean
12-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Steve, what a great finish to this beautiful young lady

stevemawmv
12-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Coops....
Thank your very much, I'm happy you like it. Needs a bit more work and a background, and it's done.
Also, thanks for that great Christmas card you did for everyone. Now we all have a nice selection of
cards to choose from.
Again thank you!

Robyn....
Thought it would be fun to present the painting as it progresses, specially after I started feeling bad about posting
the first image of it, which I wasn't really going to finish! But now it's turning out to be a fun project!
Thanks for checking in on me!
You take care!

Happy Holidays to both of you and yours!
Steve

Caesar
12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Ops, sorry for my mistake, dear Steve. I guess though You would have made an exception though and broken the bank in front of such a sweet little girl, should she have needed a father ...:oLOL Just kidding, but from what I read on D Akey comment she's popular and already "celebrated" over there.

stevemawmv
12-20-2013, 07:15 PM
D Akey.....
Thank you very much friend!
I was going to leave Rachael just the way she was. Then I felt guilty, had to redeem myself and give the image some tweaking!
I'm glad you like the updated image of her. I know from your past replies to me, you enjoyed her role in 'BR' as well!
Take care,
and Happy Holidays!
Steve

stevemawmv
12-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Jean....
Thank you very much!
I'm happy you like the painting, and I really appreciate your comment!
Looking forward to another painting from you, I think you do beautiful work!
Happy Holidays!
Steve

Caesar....
Hello, my friend! I'm just glad you enjoyed the painting of her, regardless of who's daughter she is!
But, if she ever needed a father, "What's one more going to hurt"!
Take care friend,
Steve

Caesar, looking at her again, she would have
been a welcome addition....

AndreaMG
12-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Steve, these holidays I will definitely re-re-watch Blade Runner thanks to you! She was such a beautiful replicant! Buffy is coming very good, but the painting is complex, this time around it will be an (almost) full frontal... eerr I mean full body painting! Cheers :)

stevemawmv
12-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Hey, Andrea!
She certainly was! Get yourself a couple of Tsingtao's, order some Sushi, get comfortable and enjoy the movie!
As for 'full frontal', haven't heard that since I visited a closed set!
And that's another story! But, I know what you meant, I'm looking forward to Sarah!
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
12-24-2013, 07:52 AM
The tree and me, literally!
Just the usual last minute starting, and probably not completing... style of mine!
I just wanted to wish everyone in this great forum, and the Artrage team,
'Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays'!
And, 'Greetings and Best Wishes to you all'!
All of you take care,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
12-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Have a great holiday!

stevemawmv
12-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Merry Christmas Marilyn Anne,
and Happy Holidays!
Would have been a card, if I wasn't goofing off so much!
You take care,
Steve

copespeak
12-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Have a wonderful Christmas Steve! You've been such a bright light in the forum! :) :)

justjean
12-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Merry Christmas to You and Yours, Steve , now get busy and finish trimming that tree :D

AndreaMG
12-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks, have a good Christmas as well Dear Steve! By the way, nice hat!;)

stevemawmv
12-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Robyn.....Merry Christmas! Thank you for you kind comment, hope no one got a singe from the heat of it!
Humor runs strong in my family.
Take Care

Jean.....Merry Christmas and Greetings to you and your family as well!
And, yes! Tree is done! Look down!
Thanks

Andrea.....Merry Christmas, as well, my friend! Looking for that added push from you, when I get lazy next year!
It comes in handy, when I think it's done!
Thank you

Oops!
Forgot to buy gifts!
Ha Ha!

Alexandra
12-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Merry Christmas Steve!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

stevemawmv
12-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Thank you Sandy,
And have a Happy New Year, when it gets here!

To everyone else....
Sitting around, house is empty, and remembering my Dad.
Want to do a painting, going by memory, can't find the picture!
Did a quick sketch, when he was young, he loved Fords!
Then remembered the final daughter painting....OPPS!
Everyone, have a Happy New year, 'you know',
when it gets here!
Take Care All,
Steve
Feeling a bit 'squeezed', to finish Daughters painting!

coops
12-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Whatever the painting when it comes from the heart is beautiful, well done on this one and a Happy New Year to you:)

stevemawmv
12-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks Coops!
And happy coming New Year to you as well!
Hopefully I'll be done with her painting next week!
And thoughtfully, thinking on my dads painting.
Take Care,
Steve

chinapete
12-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi Steve, dropping by to catch up and find you are doing some catching up yourself, hehe ... Belated Christmas and early happy new year wishes! :)

stevemawmv
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Pete,
OH YEAH!
In trouble on this one, should have been done a week ago!
Visited 'Winter Moss', with Robyn, but you were having one of
those long discussions. Good reading!
Happy new year wishes, to you as well!

AndreaMG
12-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Both paintings look very, very, very promising! Can't wait to see them finished! Cheers:D

chinapete
12-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Steve, my apologies, also to Robyn, I meant to acknowledge your comments, but got a little sidetracked ... For all of your enthusiastic support, thank you...

ps: I hope all that talk of oranges didn't cause you to feel even more squeezed, haha...

D Akey
12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah. . . it was my fault for biting at Mr Pete's ankles. Sorry about that.

Nice start to the pic. If that's your daughter, I think you may have hugged her too tightly when she was little cause she looks a little squished. A very enthusiastic dad.
Gorgeous lady now certainly. Worth a nice clean painting just to get her beauty right as she doubtless deserves. (Was expanding her to normal proportions in my mind. I'm quite familiar with adaptation and course correction in the process of a painting.)

Seasons Greetings and hope your New Year is wonderful.

stevemawmv
12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Andrea,
Firstly, I think you did a wonderful job with your painting of 'Sarah' as Little Red Riding Hood!
Very enjoyable painting, very well done!

Also, thank you for your encouragement, I think you know why she's not done...got so wrapped up
in seeing how far I could go with the 'R' painting, that I failed to finish her
for Christmas!
But from that mistake, I've learned so many better ways to finish her painting, the
way it should be done, or at least the way I think it should.
Take Care Friend,
Steve

OK!!!... I'm putting 'R' on hold, for awhile!
Concentrating on Daughters painting only!
***These pic's aren't my girls ear, eyes or nose!***

stevemawmv
12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Hey Pete,
Apologies not needed! I enjoy reading what D Akey and you discuss, it's a learning
experience for me....HUH!.. Think I've said that before?
As for the oranges, made good...'Juice for thought'!

Hello D Akey,
Nobody's fault friend! It's always good reading!
Yeah...she's my youngest, and taking the longest to complete! It's the first outside, daylight
painting I've attemped, except for 'Street'..outside but nighttime, Nice and dark! Going to do my
best, to get it right! She certainly deserves it.

*Like to add this...
if I may, my mother has painted her entire life, she would take me to all the artist haunts
in San francisco in the late-sixties, where I would listen in on conversations, just like the ones
you two have. During those occasions I was given an opportunity to meet many great artist, writers and poets of that time.

It was a fantastic learning experience for me. And you both are continuing my opportunity to learn. Fore, I'm with artist, writers and poets again. All I have to do is listen.
Thank you both, for bringing the memories to mind.
'Of times with mom, and her friends!
Best wishes for a New Year,
to both of you!
Steve

silvy
12-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Really some beautiful paintings. Happy new year to you too!:)

stevemawmv
12-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Silvia,
I visited your gallery as well, beautiful and powerful work, enjoyed viewing them all!
Thanks for visiting!
Best Wishes for a New Year!
Take Care,
Steve

Workshop:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45915-Painting-favorite-model

justjean
12-31-2013, 01:31 AM
Steve, Happy New Year and just peeking in to see if you had finished your daughters painting :D

stevemawmv
12-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi Jean,
Hope your ready for the new year? I'm not, still trying to finish up stuff from this one!
The picture is of a part of daughters painting, still many hours away from being done.
Appears my sample has been influenced by a friend of ours.
Hope you have a wonderful 'Happy New Year's'
celebration!
She'll be up soon,
take care!
Steve
Using some of your space here, just to get the holidays pic's on the same page.

stevemawmv
01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Wishing everyone in this great forum,
A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
It's been a fun year, glad I found Artrage and joined this
this great and friendly forum!!!

Found a lot of good friends here, that I'm very grateful for....
As you all can see, we start celebrating early here, and this
silly Self portrait is becoming a multipurpose seasonally vehicle!
Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Best wishes to you all,
Steve

D Akey
01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Ha-ppeee- New Yeeeeeaaaaarrrr!!!!!!!

Been very much enjoying your posts and paintings. Glad you came around. Looking forward to more in the coming year.

stevemawmv
01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Ha-ppeee- New Yeeeeeaaaaarrrr!!!!!!!
Back at ya', friend!
Glad I joined up, and I've enjoyed reading your replies.
Looking forward to a great year!
Thanks!
Take Care,
Steve

AndreaMG
01-02-2014, 02:58 AM
Thanks Dear Steve, wish you and your family a happy new year year as well!!! Can't wait to see the most beautiful Replicant again!;) Two days ago I re-watched IT again, yoy surely remember when Deckard and Rachael meet for the first time in the Tyrell Corp. hyper-mega building, in the room there's that gorgeous owl and I thought it could incorporate very well into your painting;). Take care!

stevemawmv
01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Hello Andrea,
Thank you! And to you and yours as well!
Still trying to come up with a suitable background, one that doesn't overpower the image.
Will probrobly search frame to frame at Tyrell Corporation...He he!
Take Care of yourself,
and get Better!
Steve

copespeak
01-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Party Boy huh??? :cool:

stevemawmv
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
NO!... Not this guy....
It's my once a year celebration...
But....this time....
The blame goes to my friends, I was a unwilling participate and for it ...
A slight hangover, and becoming another year older again!
Wishing you and
yours a great new year!
Take Care,
Steve

eighty+
01-04-2014, 01:35 AM
hi Steve happy new to U and family :D:D:D steve will it B ok if I copy some of your stuff :eek: :cool: ;) :)

stevemawmv
01-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Eighty,
Happy New Year to you as well!
We've been down that road before, and after reading your reply to one of our friends, I
just figured you were getting tired of painting me in your thread. Maybe you were joking, but you never made it clear.

Trouble Is everywhere I look that bloke with the big Tash is there:eek :D:D:D. And

As. Cap'n. Mac. Would. Say. Go. Man. Go. but. E. Don't. ;). :D :D :D

Wishing you a great new year!
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Seeing cats here, thought I give it a try!
Out of fifty billion cats on the internet,
I pick this one!
Hope you like it, It's my first try at painting
a furry creature.....
Take Care,
Steve

Alexandra
01-06-2014, 12:32 AM
Awwww Steve, what a smart looking cat. I am up because of my cats this morning. I do not get to sleep late most mornings because I have five of them.
It is like a Stephen King novel here. After waking, because they jump on me, they wait while I either get the coffee maker ready or boil water for tea, and there are ten glowing eyes looking up at me. A black one, a maine coon, and three grays that I call The Grays. Then while they are eating it becomes Tombstone....my little tough guy we loving named Dickens glances over at the big buy with a "come on...I'll be your huckleberry....
Sorry Steve, it is the lack of sleep....

Happy New Year BTW. :)

Caesar
01-06-2014, 03:39 AM
WOW! What a close-up! This is a sort of mouse view and quite scaring ... for the mouse! LOL;):o Fantastic painting!

SilverO
01-06-2014, 04:38 AM
He looks so cute.:D

AndreaMG
01-06-2014, 05:23 AM
Wow Steve, stunning! Great technique, wonderful choice of the picture (the shadows, the eyes...), it seems alive but at the same time you managed to keep an exquisite painterly look to it! A+++++!:cool:

AndreaMG
01-06-2014, 05:24 AM
...now I think you're ready for the Owl!

D Akey
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
I love the accent colors that seem to have created a tone emanating from the eyes -- as if the green eyes were illuminating the fur. It's also a neat trick when painting to toss in some accents that don't belong in the real world, but in a painting they jazz it up and sort of electrify what would otherwise be a fairly boring color if left nearly monochromatic.

It's interesting how when zoomed way way in on a digitized image at the pixel level we can see lots of adjacent raw colors which blend together when backed away from create an even mixed looking color scheme. So when we sample a color from a digitized image, we will often get unexpected colors that seem to not relate to what we're looking at. In this case it really worked, if in fact it was sort of accidental. If it was deliberate, the accent colors are well though out. Either way, it really works, and the experience from this will definitely be useful in other paintings when and if you choose to select accents.

Nice one! I love it. I love cats anyway, and would like it even if done in a wild distortion by Picasso. But I really like your painting as a painting.

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks Sandy,
The last time a group of Greys where standing around my bed when I woke up,
I had a hard time falling asleep as well.....
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Caesar.....He is rather close, and he is watching with intense interest.
Thanks for checking in on me.....Oh! Is the Caffè Doppio ready?

SilverO.....Really appreciative of your reply and comment, and they are hard to paint!
Totally agree with your comment on cats.

Take care the both of you,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Andrea,
Glad to see your feeling better, and very glad to see your latest painting.
It's fantastic, I really like it, and the way you did the brush and knife strokes!
As for owls, still thinking of a background for Rach, and thought I try a cat instead.
I had a hard enough time with fur, to be tackling feathers!
Take Care friend,
Steve
Surprise:http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78795&d=1389159007

justjean
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Your cat is a cutie, Steve :D

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Hello D Akey,
You know while I was painting the cat, it got to the point that all I saw where those eyes,
made me think of the Cheshire Cat, you know..just the eyes! added the green accents to
hopefully redirect my own eyes. When I inquired about my cat to him, he simply said....
"Oh, by the way, if you'd really like to know, he went that way".
I shouldn't be talking to my paintings though, that's just weird?
Glad you like it,
and take care!
Steve

The cat came back...

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Thank you Jean,
Glad you like him, he was a tough one though!
My first little critter painting, going to fix him a bit
at a later date....That fur thing, haven't quite the hang of it yet!
Thanks for visiting
and take care,
Steve

silvy
01-07-2014, 02:46 AM
Really a beautiful cat with fabulous eyes. Very well done:)

AndreaMG
01-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Andrea,
Glad to see your feeling better, and very glad to see your latest painting.
It's fantastic, I really like it, and the way you did the brush and knife strokes!
As for owls, still thinking of a background for Rach, and thought I try a cat instead.
I had a hard enough time with fur, to be tackling feathers!
Take Care friend,
Steve
Surprise:http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78759&d=1388985672
Thanks for the compliments! Love the background of Rachel and how is coming. Wow Mr. Tyrell! Please post the painting when finished together with his awesome over the top octagonal shaped eyeglasses with those massive thick as hell multifocal lenses;)

stevemawmv
01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Silvy,
"Them There Eyes", thanks for liking them and him!
Take Care,
Steve

Hello Andrea,
Thought you might enjoy the 'odd character', just a practice for now!
Thanks for taking a look at him...
Steve

HarlequiNQB
01-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Really nice kitty. I especially like the shadow falling across his face - looks like he's sneaking a peek at something and adds to his expression somehow...

...It's Jones isn't it?

Rom__
01-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Works great! especially liked the work of "'Questions' ...

stevemawmv
01-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Hello James,
Right one! And he ain't going to leave that hiding place for nothing!
Beginning to think we have the same movies in our shelves...........
Found out I can't paint fur on this one!
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks Rom!
It's nice of you to reply, I'm sort of stuck in that theme right now.
Glad you liked Questions, currently updating her.
Take Care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Was going to be a larger painting, but I screwed up with the sizing....
Now it looks like it should be hanging on a wall in a bank, or a lobby
of large corporation, maybe in the future?
Hope you like it,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
01-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Ah, you've saved me some trouble - I was going to respond to this image in my thread, but I thought I should look to see if you'd posted it elsewhere, and you have, wonderful! I'm surprised you didn't come here sooner.

This one is really good. Very impressive indeed. I like how you've captured his expression perfectly, and the way the light looks through those crazy glasses of his. I also like how painterly it is - as you say, it wouldn't look out of place in, say, the lobby of a bank, or a futuristic robotics company.

And yes, it's quite likely we share a few movies in out respective collections (although come to think of it I don't currently own any Alien movies - I should probably rectify that)

Anyway, lovely work. Me, I only do eyes, ju-ju-just eyes.

Caesar
01-12-2014, 05:17 AM
I raise my hat in front of Your last marvel, dear Steve!:eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

D Akey
01-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Hanging in the Tyrell Corp offices. The lighting is really cool. I'm so used to seeing lighting coming at three-quarters or lower. But having this shadow in a formal portrait falling onto him from directly forward and above with a shadow cutting across the top of his head renders it distinctly different, murky and is consistent with the dark, Film Noir feel.

Was this from when he stepped out of the shadows after Dekker finished up with running the test on Rachael, after meeting her the first time?

I was driving at night here in LA on the freeway past the oil refineries and it looked so Bladerunner in the early shot - the purposeful yet abstract shapes of the stacks, the lights, and even the blasts of flame coming out the top. If I had my old copy of the soundtrack on disk rather than audio tape, I would have to listen to it if ever I drive by there again.

Anyway, it's a really cool portrait. I like the siennas as it gives an under painted quality. Makes it feel very classical yet smoggy all at once. You captured the components quite nicely.

AndreaMG
01-12-2014, 08:02 AM
This one is soooo classy. Just perfect Dear Steve.;)

silvy
01-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Wonderful and very cool!:)

SilverO
01-12-2014, 08:40 AM
This is great, a bit spooky too:p

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey James,
Glad you like it, got to get away from this theme for awhile.....
Working on something light, bright and happy right now.
And you have to at least add 'Alien', Ridley's version of course to
your collection.
As for those eyes, just makes one want to poke them out...well some
felt that way!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Hello Caesar,
Just adding another dark and moody image to my collection.
Is a bit of a strange painting, and he is a odd charactor with
something to hide, unless he's unaware of it himself.
Now, on to something with a happy feel to it!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Dear Mr. D Akey,
Currently having a hard time recognizing where the exit is. Sometimes, one gets into the imagery of
a theme, and just won't let it go. Will finish up 'Rach' though and take a break!
I think the next shot was him holding his chin and asking 'how many questions'?
Yeah, worked in Long Beach for a couple of years, I remember those glowing silhouetted refineries at night
going home.
Thank you for your comments on the work, and i did have about four underlayers on this one, and eventually
will finish what I originally had started.
Take care friend,
Steve

Reposted original painting, I need more time!

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Hello Andrea,
Well, I know you've seen the painting before, just want to thank you for taking time to see
him again and for your appreciative comment.
Take care friend,
Steve

Hi Silvy,
Thanks for visiting and your kind comment, It's a bit of strange painting of an odd, but intriguing
character from a writer, and brought to life by a director.
Take care friend,
Steve

D Akey
01-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Nonsense! You're far from getting dull from going to the same source for inspiration -- at least not for me. I love the look of that movie and was mesmerized by it from the time I first saw it. So are you going for the 'full blade'? Going to paint each frame of the movie. Call Guinness. I say that when you find something that gives you this much energy, own it. It's yours. DO IT PROUDLY!

I say take Rachael out for a spin around the dance floor. Tell her about the spiders. That story gets her hot every time -- kinky minx that she is. A sexy replicant with an arachnid fetish. Yeah baby! WOAH!, I think I just got programmed, ahem. . . but I digress. . .

Dear Mr. D Akey,
Currently having a hard time recognizing where the exit is. Sometimes, one gets into the imagery of
a theme, and just won't let it go. Will finish up 'Rach' though and take a break!
I think the next shot was him holding his chin and asking 'how many questions'?
Yeah, worked in Long Beach for a couple of years, I remember those glowing silhouetted refineries at night
going home.
Thank you for your comments on the work, and i did have about four underlayers on this one, and eventually
will finish what I originally had started.
Take care friend,
Steve

Reposted original painting, I need more time!

coops
01-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Wow super thread and sooooooooo interesting to look at:)

Weeks
01-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Very nice Steve,

Best,

Weeks

copespeak
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
A terrific painting Steve. :)

stevemawmv
01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
SilverO....Thanks, for the comment and glad you like him.

Coops....Thank you for that response, and thanks for taking a look.

Weeks....Thank you sir,like your new one!

Robyn....Glad you like him, and thanks visiting here and my other hideout.

Thank you all
and take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-13-2014, 09:06 PM
D Akey....Glad you aren't getting tired of them, maybe going to do two or three more on the theme, and
take a break. As for a night out, would have to be a nice place, hate to get a response of "that's not my
kind of place" and a Quick hangup.
Always enjoy reading your replies in this thread.
Take care,
Steve

justjean
01-15-2014, 02:28 AM
another great painting, Steve :D

Caesar
01-15-2014, 02:32 AM
If Your next character is good even half this last undertaker-looking one, it really deserves that I take a chair and keep waiting in front of the screen for it to finally appear!

stevemawmv
01-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi Jean,
Thank you very much, glad you like it.
Take care,
Steve

Hello Caesar,
I'm working on one right now, and I'm very happy you think it's good.
You got to remember, I'm new to this!
Take care friend,
Steve

vvioletx
01-18-2014, 04:17 PM
hi steve very nice paintings!
really awesome;)

stevemawmv
01-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Hey Violet,
Thanks for checking out the thread, glad you liked my work!
Sometimes dark, and always a story within them....
Take care,
Steve

vvioletx
01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
nice drawing!:D

stevemawmv
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks Violet,
Glad you took a second look.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Another movie, another scene.....
There's no statement, political or otherwise being suggested.
Just another painting of a frame that caught my eye recently.

Thanks, Francis, John, Vittorio, and of course Bob..

ElectricWarrior
01-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm liking your work a lot. This is one of my favourite films. I was watching this a few years ago, it had got to the trippy battle scene on the bridge when a mild earthquake occurred everything started shaking violently and it took a while to work out what was happening (we don't get many significant quakes in the UK), anyway it really enhanced the trippiness of that whole scene for me and it's something I'll never forget. Good work. This is The End beautiful friend, The End...............I feel a mash up coming on.

Caesar
01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Unbelievable! This last one is just picture-like perfect. I don't know if this is the jolly character You promised, but it's a fantastic outcome anyway.

stevemawmv
01-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Hello ElectricWarrior,

Originally couldn't come up with a appropriate title, didn't want to stir or suggest anything on this one.
Thanks for jogging my memory and giving me a title , could have named it Ride of the Valkyries though, but
The End sums it up quite nicely.
As for obsessions with themes you mentioned in your thread, I know a little about that as well, been battling
'to do or not to do' on one of mine for awhile.....So I went ahead and started another one...Umm!
Glad you like it!
Take care,
Steve

Repost from previous
page, new title.

stevemawmv
01-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Dear Caesar,

Thanks for your first word in the reply, I really appreciate it coming from you!
Interesting you said "picture-like", for some weird reason I wanted to get a photo
feel to it, you know...like a faded 35mm photo, shot with a old Nikon F...Umm, 'deja vu'
wrote this somewhere else. Oh well, as for the character, not jolly but interesting enough
to rate a painting!
Thank you friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
It's terrific Dear Steve:cool:

D Akey
01-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Nice job.

Funny how this same actor can go from playing painfully shy Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird to this character who is the embodiment of the fearless warrior who would never get a scratch.

Soft focus in interesting. Perhaps it's part of the mechanical process of transferring a photo to painting in this ArtRage way where it looses a little detail. Or it's a way to distance one's self from the direct photographic look. In either case it's iconic.

And I agree -- great movie.

A cinematographer's dream.

stevemawmv
01-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Andrea.....
Well, thanks again for taking another look and commenting.
Like I said, just had to do this one...who knows why?

D Akey.....
Pretty much have enjoyed all the roles he's ever played, this was a bit of a quirky one,
but that's why it worked so well for me. Still trying to figure out where I want to go
with my paintings, changing my mind daily....but I'll figure it out.

Thank you both,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
01-21-2014, 09:41 PM
You did a great job!

stevemawmv
01-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Hello Marilyn,
Thank you for thinking so. Now it's back to my family and
the Runner family paintings....
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I was curious to see what this would look like if it were a
black and white photograph....luminosity checked in blend mode.

Caesar
01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
It's wonderful anyway You glaze, overlay, blend and manipulate it! Once You got the right composition and tones, and You really did, 90% of value is gotten I think. Bravo!

Rom__
01-22-2014, 11:06 PM
stevemawmv! Large and wonderful work! Great!!

jmac
01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Steve you did a remarkable job on this. Just remarkable. Powerful and really well painted. I am curious about the choice to keep the polygon shaped area under his right arm lighter than the corresponding background. Maybe it's just me but it steals my attention from the rest of the piece. My eye wants to keep going back there.

stevemawmv
01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Caesar....Thank you for your comments, I had to much time on my hands.....
so what the hell, I made a photo, kinda cool though...maybe not.

Rom....Thank you for visiting, I enjoy your paintings as well.

Jmac....Much appreciated comments, thank you for them. As for the light area,
was trying to get the contour of his chest defined and create reflections from the
two light burst on his right, they're on his left side as well, not as dark. I tried
to balance them as best as I could.

Again, thank you all
and take care!
Steve

coops
01-24-2014, 04:28 AM
Brilliant work, well done:)

stevemawmv
01-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Hello Coops,
Thank you very much!!!!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Had to finish this one....
The last one of my paintings of my Daughters.
I'm sure there will be more though, paintings that is!
Take care,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
A lovely painting of a beautiful girl!

Rom__
01-26-2014, 12:24 AM
What a nice girl! Charming! Great job!

sabena
01-26-2014, 12:34 AM
wow wonderfull painting

Weeks
01-26-2014, 01:06 AM
Yoo Steve... :eek: Fantastic job. Really ...

Best,

Weeks

AndreaMG
01-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Hi Steve, this last one is over the top, it's classy, perfectly painted, It looks done with real oils, it's tight on the face and looser in other areas (that's the way to go!:cool:), it's one of your best hands down! I also like a lot her pose and she's strikingly beautiful too (she reminds me a bit of Natalie Portman). Cheers

jmac
01-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Steve you have outdone yourself...again! Very, very nice.

copespeak
01-26-2014, 10:15 AM
She is lovely Steve, and so well painted! The light at the back with the red highlight is very effective. :cool:

justjean
01-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Steve your daughter is beautiful as is the painting of her, :):):):):)
what size did you paint it in if you don't mind me asking

D Akey
01-27-2014, 09:03 AM
It's situations like this when there is so much beauty present as a starting point that I can only applaud going very realistic as a stylistic choice. And I also encourage people to bring beauty into the world in the many ways we have available to us in this world, beyond painting as well. This painting is like a generous comment.

stevemawmv
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Thank you Marilyn, Rom, Sabena and Weeks....
I'm really happy you all like the painting of my daughter,
took awhile, but I'm glad I finally finished it.....well, may
tweek it from time to time!
Take care all of you,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Dear Andrea,
I'm happy that you like the painting, and I'm sure my daughter will be too....
She had to think about it for awhile, but finally gave in to make her dad happy.
Thanks and take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
01-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you, Jmac, Robyn, Jean and Mr. D Akey....

Jmac....Thank you for your comments, it's a very appreciated encouragement!
Also thank you for your support when I'm trying to figure things out.
Helps out alot!

Robyn.... It took awhile, and thank you for your comments of my painting
of her! But I'm sure there will be more hopefully ,she's not easy to get in one place
for long!

Jean.... Thank you very much, she my little one....
And the painting is small like her. 1408+1289 @300
Why, I have no idea?

D Akey....Thank you very much, I had to do something that was happy and full
of life, and she is! And I being her father, I think she's a beauty!

Take care, all of you!
Steve

Oh!
Caesar.... I know you said "not the character You promised" in your reply....
And all you got was a dude with his shirt off, and thank you for l liking it, but hopefully
my daughter's painting makes up for my forgotten promise.....
Hope you see this one!
Take care friend,
Steve

Caesar
01-27-2014, 10:01 PM
WOW! What a beauty and a joyful image! Double set of congratulations for Your outstanding artistic touch, dear Steve, one as her father (but I guess her mother did most of the work;)) and another as portraitist! I'm also glad, considering that sons tend to look more like mothers and daufìghters like fathers, to see that she didn't inherited Your imposing moustaches. LOL:o

coops
01-28-2014, 04:37 AM
She is indeed a beauty and you have created a wonderful loving portrait:)

AndreaMG
01-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Dear Andrea,
I'm happy that you like the painting, and I'm sure my daughter will be too....
She had to think about it for awhile, but finally gave in to make her dad happy.
Thanks and take care,
Steve
You're quite welcome my friend. Now back to Rachel:cool:

HarlequiNQB
01-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Excellent as always, a beautiful painting. I'm sure you did her, and her faith in you, justice.

TAGZ
01-28-2014, 09:41 PM
awesome! :)

stevemawmv
01-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Thank you Caesar, Coops, Andrea, HarlequiNQB and TAGZ.....

Caesar.....Thank you for liking the painting, she looks a lot like her mother,
thank goodness for that.

Coops....Glad you like it, she will be happy as well.

Andrea.... Thanks again, looking forward to seeing your work in oil, can't wait!

HarlequiNQB....Thank you very much! I truly hope so!

TAGZ.....Welcome! Thanks for checking out the thread, looking forward to seeing
your work.

Had to add the oldest daughter, it was the second painting I ever did....
Sorry, some of you have seen 'Waiting' before...But as with my Sons, I like them together.

pat1940
01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Such wonderful work Steve, really enjoyed viewing all of it

stevemawmv
01-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Hello Pat,
Thank you for visiting my thread, and I'm happy you
like the work....
I Enjoyed viewing all your paintings in your gallery, fantastic
collection you've got there!
Take care,
Steve

AndreaMG
01-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Always a pleasure to look at your older paintings. Take care ;)

D Akey
01-30-2014, 09:43 PM
You really voice personality in your choice pics and the way they're crafted - color, tone, pose, expression, environment, each has things to say. Lots of love goes into these, that's clear enough. Well done. Hope they liked them. By now you're getting quite a gallery if you're having each printed and framed. You did a number of paintings now, They're chips off the old block but probably not replicants.
In any case, you did a man's job. . .bladerunner.

Danny Greene
01-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Gorgeous work!

stevemawmv
02-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Dear Andrea,
How's the painting going, I'am wondering about the transition from
Stylus to real brushes and tools.... and really looking forward to your
posting of the work.
Thanks for checking in one me!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Hello Mr. D Akey,
I want to thank you for looking in and checking on my progress, from my
very first post , to now. And since the begining I have placed a special value
in your observations, thoughts and opinions...You have a very unique talent
for seeing more then just the surface depiction of an image. And with your
comments and replies, you thoughtfully share the gift of that talent with
me and others, and with it....making this a comfortable forum to be a part of.

Thank you friend!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Back to the Dark Side.....
It was a joy for me to paint my youngest daughter in the soft glow of the sunlight,
but I feel more comfortable painting dark, moody scenes like this one.
Hope you like it!
Take care all,
Steve

copespeak
02-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Wonderful Steve! The light in her eye is amazing. What a gorgeous girl!

AndreaMG
02-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Dear Andrea,
How's the painting going, I'am wondering about the transition from
Stylus to real brushes and tools.... and really looking forward to your
posting of the work.
Thanks for checking in one me!
Take care friend,
Steve
Hi Dear Steve, unfortunately real brushes were a pain, me and them were not meant to be :p, today I made a mess... I succeeded in putting colors everywhere but the canvas, Oh My... :rolleyes: so tomorrow I'm going back to my beloved Artrage :cool:
Glad you're back to the dark side!!! It's were you belong to :D. I do love the way she looks behind her, she already knows she's a replicant... Love her mouth too, rather sexy!

justjean
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Steve, a stunning painting, how beautiful clap, clap, clap, clap (wish they had a clappy thing :D

medwyn
02-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Stunning portraits!

stevemawmv
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks Danny!
Great compliment, glad you like them.
Steve

D Akey
02-02-2014, 06:45 PM
This is a case where you have used the softness selectively and it really works because a goodly portion that we want to see is clear which gives us enough to create the part that isn't. And that pulls people in most often. We're participating in the creation of the picture, but there's enough to make sure we get where you want us to go. Well done.

And yes. She's a great model. See how I'm beginning to salivate and reach for my DVD? You seem to have the neck sussed. . . and the eyes. . . and lips. . . and where the simulated hair meets the artificial skin at the temple. Nice sharpening of focus there. I also like the cropping and the open area. Really begs the question of what is going to fill that space (rhetorically speaking). It makes an almost stoic pose dynamic. And that's a neat trick. Love the lighting.

stevemawmv
02-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks Robyn,
Glad you like her, took some time to get them eyes right,
weird thing is the left one took the longest, and yet,
cannot be seen....
Take care friend,
Steve

silvy
02-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Hi Steve!
Your portraits are really wonderful:)
You can pass easily from bright and joyful subjects
to deep images full of drama.
The last is superb: stunnings eyes!

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks Andrea.....

Hi Dear Steve, unfortunately real brushes were a pain, me and them were not meant to be :p, today I made a mess... I succeeded in putting colors everywhere but the canvas, Oh My... :rolleyes: so tomorrow I'm going back to my beloved Artrage :
Well I hate to add to your discourgement, but selvishly I'm looking forward to your return
to digital painting with Artrage. To me, at least it appeared that you were going for painting
expressions that you may have thought not possiable with digital....And I think you may
have proved to yourself that it can be achieved with Artrage!
Now, clean up the mess, have a street sale of the 'Used brushes and painting tools' get
comfortable, turn on some music, pour a glass of wine ....and let it flow!

Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jean....

Steve, a stunning painting, how beautiful clap, clap, clap, clap (wish they had a clappy thing :D
They did, I bought the only one...it broke with over usage when I veiwed your
paintings in your gallery the first time.
I'm very happy you
like her painting,
Steve

AndreaMG
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Dear Steve,

you're right with digital arts it's perfectly possible to have a "painterly approach", so I will keep on exploring it! Next time I'll better try with just a couple of brushes, three color tubes and a piece of paper instead of buying half of the art shop :D. Fortunately I will pass all the stuff to my dad Bruno (he is a big fan of Vincent van Gogh and years ago he even made some stunning replicas). Can't wait to post some new stuff :cool:. The mess is now all cleaned... I've realized another thing about digital art that I love: it really speeds things up and by doing so it pushes you to discover and experiment new things (mixing colors and washing brushes was not that funny :D); you have to know that yesterday while I was goofing around the canvas to speed up things I found myself holding 5 brushed at one time each with a different color in order to save time and avoid to have to continuously clean the same brush, too bad that at one point one of the brushes slipped off my hand :rolleyes:... patience is not my forte I guess :p. Cheers

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks Medwyn,
Glad you like the portraits, and thanks for visiting.
Steve

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 05:30 PM
D Akey.....
Thank you Sir, the softness was quite the balancing act, went through various stages untill I felt it worked.
I'm happy you feel it does. As for her being so much of my attention, going to give her some time off, not
'Retirement'... but she does have two more sitting to complete!
Take care friend,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Oh gosh that's just gorgeous! You've really captured her here, especially the softness here and there (as D Akey so rightly commented on). Really impressive. No, wait, don't go,

...I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

stevemawmv
02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Hello Silvia,
Thank you! Very nice compliment...Time for a light and bright one next....Maybe?
Steve

Caesar
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM
you don't miss a hit, dear Steve! Along with Your joyful side, Your last dark side has an absolutely charming look and is even intriguing for imagination!;)

stevemawmv
02-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks Andrea,
Looking forward to you posting your new paintings....OH!.....Ciao Bruno, Ora so dove il talento proviene.
Saluti,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
HarlequiNQB....Thank you very much, took a bit longer then what it normally takes...you know, Twenty, thirty, cross-referenced, But with this one it took more than a hundred.

Caesar....Joyful one day, dark and moody the next....trying to be balanced with what I do. Thank you friend for your continued encouragement, I really appreciate it.

Thank you both
and take care,
Steve