PDA

View Full Version : Stevemawmv's Gallery (Shared Reflections.....)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Caesar
07-21-2014, 09:42 PM
The eye is the mirror of the soul, we say, and here we've got a particularly reflective mirror and a new quiz ... a very well painted one indeed!

gxhpainter2
07-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Steve, eye just can't guess who this is, but I love the detail so interesting to see how you develop such detail, the color of the iris and small painterly brush work.. do you work at an enlarged scaled ( over 100% ) then reduce to normal size to achieve such a great result? curious minds want to know :rolleyes::rolleyes:/:cool:

stevemawmv
07-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks Steve.K.Zian....Welcome again, and I'am happy you took the time to look at my gallery, glad you liked the pics.

Thanks D Akey....Glad you like his painting and yes...'he did post it, so we painted him.
Looks like he enjoyed them both, happy I did mine, because it was a fun project.
And I Know..more eyes!.....Been trying to get this Eye Fetish under control, Nah..maybe later!

Thanks Scott....The other eye and the rest of her is almost done, and yes, I get a kick out of
all your creatures.

Thanks Belvrog....Teasing Eyes, the eyes have it and all eyes in between... kinda fun doing these.

Thanks Andrea....Well, you probably have a good idea who,....but I am up to three models now!

Thank you all and take care...
Steve

Well, lets just say it was a 'Tease of an eye'.....

stevemawmv
07-22-2014, 06:33 AM
The eye is the mirror of the soul, we say, and here we've got a particularly reflective mirror and a new quiz ... a very well painted one indeed!
Thank your Caesar....The eyes have but one language to speak, and understanding what they see in the mirror is defined by ones imagination which may be multilingual...What!
Don't know what the Heck that means....

Steve, eye just can't guess who this is, but I love the detail so interesting to see how you develop such detail, the color of the iris and small painterly brush work.. do you work at an enlarged scaled ( over 100% ) then reduce to normal size to achieve such a great result? curious minds want to know :rolleyes::rolleyes:/:cool:
Love the play on words, just another painting from my small group of models...And I go Big, paint small and then go home!
Thank you both...
Steve

gxhpainter2
07-22-2014, 07:02 AM
l like the emerging face , great work Steve as usual... brilliant and very painterly work. I was talking to some friends over the weekend up in Portland and showing them some of the work in my gallery, and since they were still traditional media artists I was explaining to them that while there is a definite work flow for oils , or watercolors in the way you have to lay the paint down ( maybe 10-20 steps that you might use ) with digital media work you have hundreds of possible ways to create and blend various medias into a single work, and the ability to work in layers, undo's, and scaling in and out, blending modes, etc it makes doing digital work actually more of a challenge to become proficient . you can get easy results and keep to a small set of skills but to really master it is a road that does not end... but I love the way you are traveling for sure dear friend.:cool::):)

AndreaMG
07-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Really like this one. Tight work with thick paint, she looks (is) beautiful. Congrats! :cool:

pat1940
07-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Steve, another beauty of yours, wonderful work

SCP
07-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Wonderful painting Steve ,love the brushwork ,you should be pleased!:cool:;)

stevemawmv
07-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks Gary....I started out with canvas and brush in hand as well, but life got in the way and I put painting aside, but now having Artrage and a little extra time on my hands I'am starting to realise that if digital media had been available back then I seriously think there would have been time for both....

Thank you Andrea...Happy you like this one, Like I Say, always trying different things...but in the end they always look the same.

Take care friends,
Steve

Caesar
07-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Here she is again. She became an obsession beauty for me too. I'll start dreaming of her now. Forunately I forgot her name so I won't raise any suspicion by talking while sleeping ...LOL:o;) Another excellent portrait emerging from the dark.:eek::cool::):):):):)

D Akey
07-23-2014, 04:02 AM
Jennifer Connelly? Until Andrea had posted the link to Labyrinth, I hadn't connected her up with that movie, since she was unknown more or less at that time and she was a striking young lady back then, though childlike owing to the context. Sort of a modern Alice in Wonderland. Since then she's become a very popular actress. Love how you dramatize the dark haired ladies moving them in and out of shadow. This one seems like a period piece again, sort of lit by flame. No telling what the source photo context. But you created a whole story for her here. And if it isn't Jennifer Connelly, it still looks like her to me.

stevemawmv
07-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Pat....Thank you dear, glad your feeling better and staying busy painting.

Scott....Glad you like, just staying away from smooth blending for awhile.

Caesar....

Here she is again. She became an obsession beauty for me too. I'll start dreaming of her now. Forunately I forgot her name so I won't raise any suspicion by talking while sleeping ...LOL:o;) Another excellent portrait emerging from the dark.:eek::cool::):):):):)
Dreams of shared obsessions can be hard to define at best, but murmuring out a stange womans name at night, in bed and in the presents of a loved one....'Awkward my friend! One could say...'I don't know, must have been dreaming of a recent painting I've seen'... it may work but good luck with that one.
And they do slowly emerge from the darkness into my dreams, just never know which one it will be.....keeps it interesting!

And for those you fancy an ear
and a close up...

gxhpainter2
07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Steve...I vote no ear just the smooth black hair.. has my vote..:cool::):)

Bertrude
07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Beautiful painting of a beautiful lady. Lovely :)

D Akey
07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
"Off with her ear," said the Red Queen. . . speaking of Alice. . . "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ear!. . . as long as she will be without. . ."

Listen (not so easy without an ear). . . if you're going to put in her ear and you're painting this realistically, do it right. Think we should make it look like an ear? I think there should be some indication, even if it's the bottom of a lobe poking out from the hair. Give her some earrings. You might get lucky. And if you're lucky with this one, you're on top of the world.

stevemawmv
07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi D Akey....Yeah its Jen again, sorta running out of ways for her to make a entrance...Good news is I started some paintings with different models! I'am thinking this one and Rach could be boring the hell out of everyone here.
I see Gary and yourself have voted on the 'future of the ear'.....Well, at least the one in question. We'll see if I've got to spruce it up or not....or could borrow one from the Rach collection, just have to touch up her hair...
Take care,
Steve

Caesar
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
WOW, what a perfect ear! Now we may whisper sweet words to such a charming lady ...:o;)

D Akey
07-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Voted "Woman o' tha 'Ear" by all me mates and art aficionados in me sweet assylum. Vermeer ain't got nuffink on ye, 'e don't. 'E only did 'er an solitairy pearl earrin'. . . While yew outbid 'em when ye promised 'er an 'ole set o' ears an' what, Mr. Vermeer? If you liked then ye shoulda put a ring on it. . .If you liked then ye shoulda put a ring on it. . .If you liked then ye shoulda put a ring on it. . .

I never get bored of Rachael and Jennifer Connelly. . . You paint em as much as ye please, laddie. Pleases me no end.

stevemawmv
07-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Beautiful painting of a beautiful lady. Lovely :)

Thank you very much for your visit and comments Bertrude....When will we see another one from you, Cross Purposes and Franks Death Dealer were fantastic...
looking forward to a new one from you.
Take care,
Steve

pai
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
she's so beautiful. great painting as always :)

stevemawmv
07-24-2014, 07:47 PM
WOW, what a perfect ear! Now we may whisper sweet words to such a charming lady ...:o;)
Thanks Caesar....It is a nice ear, its from Rachael....But may not be staying, I've got two votes for 'No Ears'....
But I just may post that old Rachael painting though, don't think I ever did outside of WIP forum..
Take care...

I think I'am leaning towards the 'With Ear' version....

stevemawmv
07-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Voted "Woman o' tha 'Ear" by all me mates and art aficionados in me sweet assylum. Vermeer ain't got nuffink on ye, 'e don't. 'E only did 'er an solitairy pearl earrin'.
D Akey.....
'Ear ye go mate....an solitairy pearl earrin' is all I kin muster as well, just managed ta nick tha'one! I care not be muckin'bout these back streets at night...be'in so
close ta'the loony bin as we'arh!....Me thinks she won't be needin'em anyway....But that one sure would of look swell hangin'on that one sweet ear! 'Ear.. give a look see....
Sorry, that was terrible ....This is harder then it looks!
Take care....

Caesar
07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
She's got a very nice ear too though ... now with the pearl added is even magnificent, Veermer Beautiful!:):D

eighty+
07-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Hi Steve I don't Know why but I don't feel happy with it ??? ;) :D :D DOZDRAWSKI

D Akey
07-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Yeah, definitely not something to sport in the back alleys at night. Heh. :eek:;):p:rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: However this is one of those rarities where they abscond with the girl and leave behind the ear and earring. Well, hopefully they will all be re-united someday.

The painting of the pearl is exquisite! Really great. May not be so easy the first time you do it, but you did it exactly right in that you took it all the way so you know how the lighting and color works when rendering it. And so you could use that sense you gained in other contexts. There may come a time when you change your style to more painterly and from knowing how to do it this way and the components therein, you will be able to take it down to a few strokes. Conversely, if you get tighter, you will know how to do that since now you've done it. Representing shapes and textures of various types will pay off when the context changes and you have to 'fake it'. This is really nice. You should be quite pleased with it. And the pain of taking time to do it will soon pass. :D:p:rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool:

kenmo
07-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Very nice....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Pai....It's been awhile, hope your well...thanks for visiting and I'am happy you like her...sorry about the ear debate.

She's got a very nice ear too though ... now with the pearl added is even magnificent, Veermer Beautiful!
Thank you, Now I don't know what to do about the ear dilemma, going to move on to the next one.

Hi Steve I don't Know why but I don't feel happy with it ???
Not happy with the painting, the ear, the earring or the version with no ear??? I'am confuse about which one to keep as well my friend....
Take care you all....

Caesar
07-25-2014, 08:02 PM
I would vote for the ear and pearl earring after You painted magnifcently these two precious jewels on her .... Moreover another touch of light by the pearl may form a triangle with the other two pearls of her eyes (although one isn't visible at all (maybe a slight feeble glimpse could be seen?) ... OK, I know, it's no more time for me to express romantically, but it's probably a pavlovian reflex from good ol' times ...;):oLOL

D Akey
07-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Is the ear at the correct angle? I think the ear is really well painted. Would be a shame to not use it. But context is everything. It all depends how it plays and to paint isolated elements is always risky because the choices one makes have to relate to the rest of the painting. If you did it on a separate layer, that works because it has the context of the whole. But since the colors are so different, I wonder if it wasn't a separate painting of an ear on a different head. Or maybe it was just its own study.

Great exploration though.

My recommendation, even though it's fun to get people's opinions, is to look for source pics where there are hair styles showing ears and finding something that works for you. Careful of the lighting and color. Her hair right now is pretty much a blank slate and you can do lots of things to the hair to piece in the ear and disguise that it's something of an afterthought. Good experience to try that. And you might thunk yourself on the forehead and wonder why you didn't do that in the first place. But those things only become apparent as you do them. Later after you've pieced several pics that way, you'll become really adept doing it. You'll recognize which pics would merge easily and seamlessly and select those photos to begin with as you prepare, and also what you can add to make it seem like it was that way all along. And you'll learn how to tweak those source photos to look like they're from the same shot (like turning something a bit etc.). That's knowing structure so you can plot those changes.

You're doing very good and practical studies. Believe me, when you get something (as you did when you started playing with color), it will open a whole world of possibilities to you.

Go man go!

stevemawmv
07-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks Ken for visiting, glad you're liking them....

Caesar....Good news is the ear is staying! I will try to work the 'Pearl Earring' in a painting without looking to obvious about it at a later date....

D Akey.....It's against her neck and just looks crooked...Ok, I was in a hurry...used Rachael's ear and she wouldn't sit still for it!
Thanks for your recommendations and comments, your absolutely right and I appreciate it.
Now on to something completely different, just no fun painting beautiful women all the time......

Thank you all again and take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
07-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Or I'am 'Completely out of my Mind......Something very different and experimental for me. A set of five maybe six paintings, actually it's one large painting cut up in pieces...
there's got to be a story in that line that fits the images...here's the first four.....hope they don't shock anyone to much! There are hints here about the subject I've chosen....
'Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't'.....
Enjoy!

gxhpainter2
07-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Steve, what remarkable images, fear, anxiety I love these close ups as they show the anatomical details and your superb painting skills, can't wait to see the full face image.. way to go!...:cool::cool::cool:

AndreaMG
07-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Haha, nice one Dear Steve, aside from the subject I like the style :cool: Take care

pat1940
07-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Very nice work Steve, lovely painted ear and earring

SCP
07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Looking awesome great watercolours Steve,bring on more odd and strange for sure !!:cool:;)

stevemawmv
07-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Steve, what remarkable images, fear, anxiety I love these close ups as they show the anatomical details and your superb painting skills, can't wait to see the full face image.. way to go!...:cool::cool::cool:
Thank you Gary....It is a image of fear and anxiety, mostly it one of terror.....It's from a scene in a television series I enjoy. Still debating if I will piece it together and post the full image.

stevemawmv
07-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Haha, nice one Dear Steve, aside from the subject I like the style :cool: Take care
Thanks Andrea......They all can't be beautiful all the time, sometimes I need to stir it up a bit...
Take care friend,
Steve

D Akey
07-28-2014, 08:18 AM
I feel like I'm looking at panels from a graphic novel - a close up on the shock and horror, a super tight shot on the scream. . . very dramatic and you don't have to ever take a painting out of the studies stage. . . Use that sense of avoidance to your advantage as a stylistic choice! Good on ya!

Fun stuff as ever! I immediately thought of Janet Leigh in the shower of the Bates Motel. . . but then who set the standard for that kind of shot?

Go man go!!!!!!

stevemawmv
07-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Hello Pat.....The earring does look good on Rachael's ear, it was a idea I got after reading a reply from our friend D Akey...
Jen is finally going to keep her ear though but will have to wait for her earrings. Thanks for your kind comment.....

Caesar
07-28-2014, 08:41 PM
It's a fantastic idea to make a triptic out of the last subject. It compels our mind to recompose it and the effect is even more dramatic I feel!

stevemawmv
07-29-2014, 04:50 AM
Thank you Scott and D Akey......
Wanted to do a shocker, its not the norm for me, just a little experiment with adding little more punch to a otherwise run of the mill horror shot....
Take care......

Run of the mill horror shot....http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82181&d=1406617786
I do like just the slight hint of fear in the eyes though, the mouth kinda gives the whole thing away real quick like...

kenmo
07-29-2014, 05:06 AM
Loving your experimentation....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Thank you dear Caesar....It's a quadriptych now, and if I could figure out how to section it out to five features of a face....well a pentaptych would be around the corner.
But I agree, its much more interesting like this....its just not getting many comments, I wonder why.....
Take care friend.....

Now, she's looking at us asking..Why pieces?...

Alexandra
07-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Wonderful, Steve, every upload. Great strokes, rich palette, excellent.

stevemawmv
07-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Loving your experimentation....:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Thanks Ken....I'll keep doing them, long as people like them.
Take care.....

Wonderful, Steve, every upload. Great strokes, rich palette, excellent.
Thanks Sandy.....Hope it wasn't to scary for everyone!

Belvrog
07-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey Steve. Sorry I thought I had already commented, but it seems I had not. Thats a great painting of Jennifer Connelly, good likeness and really nice work on its details. And also a very good work on the expression in the last one. I had not expected to find this one in your thread. But yeah, well done. I really liked the idea of spliting it up, makes the impression of it more intense. Great!!

gxhpainter2
07-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey Steve somehow I missed the post where you have the top and bottom to the Scream !... a modern day version, I like it more that I thought and I agree with the other having it in two panels works very well with this. It is very well painted and very expressive. a good diversion for you I bet.. your psyche getting its word in on all your recent medical travails...

stevemawmv
07-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello Belvrog...Thanks, the Jen pic was interesting to do, had fun with it especially the ear thing....As for this last set, anybody's guess where I was going with it....But it was certainly interesting !

stevemawmv
08-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Hi Gary...Yeah, spent the week piecing her pics togather in some form or the other.....Anyway thanks for checking it out again, and you may be right on my 'psyche', starting the second round of the medical stuff next month.
Take care friend...

Sorry Gary, couldn't resist...you did say in your first reply...."can't wait to see the full face image"..

stevemawmv
08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
But he left this on the table.....Yep its just another tease!!! This one is going to be less disturbing and easier to look at...

gxhpainter2
08-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Steve thanks for the full face ( terrifyingly real !) and your new work great sense of form and light, you have a mastery of brush and color and it seems light and form as well... good luck with the next round of Medical.... I will be pulling for you !!.

stevemawmv
08-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Same inspirational source as the previous horror paintings....Just had to make up for my bad behavior by doing a pretty one.
Reference from Television series again...You know ...the horror one! Check the previous page for the scream one...
Scream....http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82236&d=1406881613

stevemawmv
08-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks Gary....Interesting enough this painting came from the same source as 'Horror, Shock, Terror and Scream' sectioned paintings did...
Take care friend....

Caesar
08-03-2014, 11:31 PM
WOW! A very classical feeling! A painting and a subject which seems to pertain to eternity! Bravissimo! I presume You used a big size for the canvas, to get such a finely tuned and detailed eye and the rest.

stevemawmv
08-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Hello Caesar.....Thanks dear friend, I tried to redeem myself from the previous visions of terror that I shared with everyone....abundantly!

gxhpainter2
08-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Steve, interesting source for images, you have done a remarkable job on the chiaroscuro here.. I especially like the bit of hair that is highlighted on the right.:cool::cool::cool:

Bertrude
08-04-2014, 05:07 AM
Indeed. Nice job. The scream is cool too :)

AndreaMG
08-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Haha, like her, she's definitely less horrific :o Cheers

eighty+
08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi Steve at least I can regconise her Eye ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D POZDRAWSKI

copespeak
08-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I got a big fright when I saw the scary one, but this one is beautifully painted Steve.

D Akey
08-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Wow! Looks like you flushed Ms Copespeak out of the bushes where she's been lurking. Ya done put a fright into her, you with your rendering ways. . .

Nice paintings though. Effective.

stevemawmv
08-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Steve, interesting source for images, you have done a remarkable job on the chiaroscuro here.. I especially like the bit of hair that is
highlighted on the right.:cool::cool::cool:
Hi Gary.....That was the how my week was going, felt like screaming but didn't . I'am happy you like the pretty side of it though, which was my weekend...mellowed out a bit!

Indeed. Nice job. The scream is cool too :)
Hello Bertrude.....Thank you, yeah 'scream' may have been much....But you know what they say "Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't"

Haha, like her, she's definitely less horrific :o Cheers
Dear Andrea....Oh yeah!...Just had to make up for it...Still screaming though, just quietly!
Thank you all..

Eighty, Robyn and D Akey...I'am around the corner with my replies. Haven't forgotten you...
Here's full frame shot..and others.

stevemawmv
08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi Steve at least I can regconise her Eye ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D POZDRAWSKI
Hi Eighty.....Now you know where those eyes belong ...Thanks friend, take care...

I got a big fright when I saw the scary one, but this one is beautifully painted Steve.
Robyn....So happy to hear from you, and sorry about that.....it is kind of a frightening image. I'am hoping this painting makes up for it by adding a little sweetness back to my imagery. Happy you like it, and hoping all is well and sending best wishes to you.
Take care friend.....Again, really good to hear from you!

SCP
08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Steve ,wonderful paintings .Love The Scream !:cool: :cool:great skills mate ! :D

pai
08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I love this last painting. She is so beautiful. And, I love how you painted her expression and that smiles both in her eyes as well. Like the tone and lighting contrast you did on this last piece. I can't get my eyes off her. :) I also love the crop of her close up a lot. Feel so different once you cropped it.

stevemawmv
08-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Wow! Looks like you flushed Ms Copespeak out of the bushes where she's been lurking. Ya done put a fright into her, you with your rendering ways. . .
Nice paintings though. Effective.
Yes Sir, was good hearing from Robyn and happy the paintings got a response from her.....'Rendering ways'...more weirdness then anything else!
Thanks Friend....

stevemawmv
08-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Steve ,wonderful paintings .Love The Scream !:cool: :cool:great skills mate ! :D
Thanks Scott.....I saw your Monday Screamer, very cool as well.
Take care mate....

stevemawmv
08-07-2014, 04:17 AM
I love this last painting. She is so beautiful. And, I love how you painted her expression and that smiles both in her eyes as well. Like the tone and lighting contrast you did on this last piece. I can't get my eyes off her. :) I also love the crop of her close up a lot. Feel so different once you cropped it.
Thank you Pai.....Hope all is well and its great hearing from you. I' am happy you like her, she's a makeup for the previous terror. And I do love those close ups and crops and such, glad you do as well....

Belvrog
08-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi Steve. Great new addition with some nice cropping explorations. I like the uncropped version most though. It's very well done. Can't say anything about the likeness as I neither know her nor the series you've taken it from and I guess the title of the series is not 20earfull. :p:)
Really cool painting, more please!

stevemawmv
08-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Hello Belvrog....

Hi Steve. Great new addition with some nice cropping explorations. I like the uncropped version most though. It's very well done. Can't say anything about the likeness as I neither know her nor the series you've taken it from and I guess the title of the series is not 20earfull. :p:)
Really cool painting, more please!
Thank you....Kind of fun seeing what you can do to change the dynamics of the paintings and explore other ways of viewing them...I don't know, it may drive some people crazy...sorry! Here are some more eyes on possible next posting, may keep the light one rough....Us
Take care and thanks again...Just visiting all the options!
20=Saved image number....Ear=With ear....Full=Full image size PS saved

stevemawmv
08-08-2014, 01:32 PM
That was some visit...Anyway I've decided to go with a completely different set of eyes for the next painting....

pat1940
08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Steve, all this is fantastic work, it seems that you are having a lot of fun experimenting with this, great paintings

stevemawmv
08-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks Pat...Having a great deal of fun with these, glad you like them as well....
Take care friend,
Steve

D Akey
08-13-2014, 03:36 PM
An apt pupil yourself, the eyes have your fine painterly self fanning their featured vanity. It's particularly good to be an eye hereabouts. I thought before that when people spoke of the eyes in a portrait following you around, it didn't mean the popped themselves out of the canvas and tailed you on your way home from the fish market like a stray cat. But here they are.

"The man who painted windows to the Soul" ain't just a metaphor any longer. . .

Go Steve Go!!!!!!

stevemawmv
08-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Thanks D Akey....Nice word play, yeah me and my eye/eyes, still trying to figure out if I do this to see if anyone will pick one and force me to post the rest of the painting or I' am just fascinated by all the variations of them. probably the latter of the two....Now if you hear a meowing outside your door, let her in...it's just my cat Iris, must have followed you home dear friend....
Take care......

SCP
08-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Great eyes there Steve as D Akey says "Go Steve GO !!" Keep up the good work.:D

copespeak
08-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Love your eyes Steve! :)

stevemawmv
08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Great eyes there Steve as D Akey says "Go Steve GO !!" Keep up the good work.:D
Thanks Scott.....You've got your Creatures, and I apparently have this endless supply of eyes.....Starting to freak D.A. out a bit,
he may thinking he's stuck in that little cart in the 'Haunted Mansion' ride....thinking 'when will this end????
Take care Mate,
Steve

But wait there's more.......

stevemawmv
08-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Love your eyes Steve! :)
Robyn....Very good to hear from you again, been thinking about you and wondering how everything is going.
Hoping your well friend...
As for me, I' am starting to think the 'Eyes' are being used as stall tactics by me, until I finish at least one of these I've started....
Again Thanks and Best Wishes.....
Steve

copespeak
08-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Hi back and thanks Steve. :)

Yes, things are still a bit dark for me, but trying to keep cheery and positive. Haven't done much work lately, but plenty of planning in my head!

D Akey
08-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Yes, things are still a bit dark for me, but trying to keep cheery and positive. Haven't done much work lately, but plenty of planning in my head!

Spoken like an artist! You're quite right in that the quality of the work shows in the dark and light values.

I hope this medical issue rights itself for the better soon, Robyn. It's great hearing from you. Certainly a different place here without you.

stevemawmv
08-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Hi back and thanks Steve. :)
Sorry to hear that...but I 'am happy to know you're keeping your spirits and attitude up, it's the only thing we can do..I share your feeling, my Doc's
haven't figure out what to do next on me, and it's drives me crazy sometimes....so I paint, work and walk...well, not so much on the walking thing.
Anyway, looking forward to the results of all your paintings plans...Can't wait...get going!
You take care,
Steve

Here is some stuff I started after updating Artrage....For me everything is faster now, love it!
I did three variations of this subject and this is number 3 , movie reference, my spin times three.
No.....Not the 'Children of the Damned', but still wouldn't let her in if she was at the door,
those eyes creeped me out all the time painting these! And none of these are completely finished.....

stevemawmv
08-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Sure is quiet in here.....Anyway this is the first painting, sorry about the order...
At first they were to be twins, then a third showed up!

stevemawmv
08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Ok, I' am done with these....Here's number two. They are different, just look closer!

D Akey
08-18-2014, 06:59 AM
This is great, Steve! I have been looking in but wanted to digest all the things this is making me think of. The lighting is super dramatic, which combined with the rather surreal shape of the head makes for a really great stylistic final. With all the realism tricks you're using, you've made it natural looking enough that I'm seeing this as if it were somebody actually looking like this. It's the kind of thing I would see as a world view in which all the people in the story would have a primitive shape roundness to them. I'm going to be really embarrassed if she actually looks like this in your source photo. :rolleyes:

But it's really cool. I love the colors and the values, and your brush strokes are looking very cool where they're sized and placed well. So you should be very pleased with these. I have always been into pushing lighting toward the shadowy because it describes form really effectively, and also because it allows for compositional and dramatic things to happen visually. Not always creepy though that's one place where deep shadows work great because of the sense of mystery it engenders. But it's also strong and commanding of the viewer's eye. It doesn't recede comfortably like pastel color accents that compliment and play well with others and don't impose on anybody else in the room. And certainly there's a place for both. But when it happens that there is strong contrast, it had better deliver something worth grabbing people's attention. This does.

For example, I wouldn't expect this to be hanging on a parlor wall. I would expect to see this in a back stage hall of a dramatic theater, or among the publicity pics in a lobby. She also reminds me of a mask. So it has a sort of theatrical feel to it, describing putting on a persona, which is what acting is all about, especially where dramatic lighting of this ilk is aimed for.

You're getting the knack for all this portraiture stuff, Steve! I love the subtle painterly quality as well, in which there's what they call a viewing distance in which one steps back and the strokes drop away and you have a finished looking piece. Reminds me a lot of the sensibilities of some my favorite painters who did portraits for the wealthy early last century. Go man go!!!!!! :):):):):)

Alexandra
08-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Wow, Steve, excellent painting there dear man. I am glad though that you didn't make her eyes all black, as I did one of my characters, now that was scary....:eek::p
Her eyes are beautifully done, and her expression clear to understand. She is so frightened. Again, great work.

Leasaurus
08-18-2014, 04:34 PM
I really love these paintings. I'm very jealous of your ability to make the eyes shine and there is a lot of emotion in the expression. Looks awesome!

stevemawmv
08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Hello D Akey...No, you won't be embarrassed, just blame it on my artistic license...I think!...Glad you like them, they are a odd trio I know but there's got to be a curve in the road every once in awhile. There will always be intentional imperfections in my paintings, 'that's a good excuse for screwups huh'...anyway, misshapen/sized eyes, strange foreheads, odd hairlines, minimal detail in the necks and many more I can't think of right now. I think you know that there's no particular style I am going for here, I just paint what I like and paint it the way I like when I start one of these...and sometimes my feelings and emotions sneaks in there as well....Oh I agree, these last couple of paintings..starting with 'scream' aren't going on any living room walls soon!
Anyway friend..always enjoy and appreciate your visits...was starting to worry about this one because of the lack of replies to it, got passed over a couple a times. But think I would post anyway regardless of any replies...after all I post in 'Work in Progress' section, talk about lonely...
Steve

stevemawmv
08-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Wow, Steve, excellent painting there dear man. I am glad though that you didn't make her eyes all black, as I did one of my characters, now that was scary....:eek::p
Her eyes are beautifully done, and her expression clear to understand. She is so frightened. Again, great work.
Thanks Sandy....I don't want any run ins with those mysterious black eyed children, and indeed those dark eyes make them look like a scary lot. There be no letting them in my house no time soon...And you are right about the meaning behind these expressions, this is a carry over from the screaming one a few pages back. Also exploring different ways I can portray the eyes...Me and my eyes painting their eyes...Ha!
You take care,
Steve

SCP
08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Great painting Steve ,your style is shinning through, good use of lighting and her eyes are commanding attention,well done mate!:cool::cool::cool:
All the best ,

Scott.

stevemawmv
08-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I really love these paintings. I'm very jealous of your ability to make the eyes shine and there is a lot of emotion in the expression. Looks awesome!
Well thank you very much, and welcome again to the forum ...I appreciate your reply and comments.
Take care,
Steve

Here's the works....

stevemawmv
08-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Great painting Steve ,your style is shinning through, good use of lighting and her eyes are commanding attention,well done mate!:cool::cool::cool:
All the best ,Scott.
Thanks Scott.....Just going to try everything until I get it right through my eyes.....Really appreciate your visits and replies....Wow, now I' am rhyming!...
Take care mate,
Steve

Bertrude
08-23-2014, 10:29 PM
The lighting in the eyes is awesome. The picture is creepy though ;)

stevemawmv
08-25-2014, 06:26 PM
The lighting in the eyes is awesome. The picture is creepy though ;)
Hi Bertrude....Just another eye test, glad you liked it. As for 'Creepy', that was the plan... glad it worked.
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
08-27-2014, 07:40 PM
This was one creepy page......Sorry about that, maybe why it didn't get many replies?
Thank all of you that did though....I really appreciated your replies and comments....
Now on to the next batch....No, not the rest of this eye tease!

D Akey
08-27-2014, 08:44 PM
This was one creepy page......Sorry about that, maybe why it didn't get many replies?
Thank all of you that did though....I really appreciated your replies and comments....
Now on to the next batch....No, not the rest of this eye tease!

Good to see you doing a new one. Intriguing. This one is going to be sultry and more than a little bit feline.

Keep moving, Steve! Pretend you're a musician in the wild days. Line 'em up and knock em up. . . I mean down. . . knock em down. . .

Your Zeppelin awaits. . . (it takes un-led-ed these days tho)

A-ramble on, and now's the time, the time is now
Sing my song, I'm goin' 'round the world, I gotta paint my girl
On my way, I've been this way ten years to the day
Ramble on, gotta find the queen of all my dreams

Got no time to for spreadin' roots, the time has come to be gone
And though our health we drank a thousand times
it's time to ramble on

A-ramble on, and now's the time, the time is now
Sing my song, I'm goin' 'round the world
I've gotta paint my girl
On my way, I've been this way ten years to the day
I gotta ramble on, I gotta find the queen of all my dreams
I tell you no lie

Paint Man Paint!!!!!!!!

Jonquil
08-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Wow, that girl at top is awesome Steve! I love her. Her expression is amazing. Brilliant dramatic work and style from you as you so often do. :)

eighty+
08-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Hi Steve You missed Out as their cheaper by the Dozen !! :eek::eek::eek: ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D POZDRAWSKI

copespeak
08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
A piercing gaze from a single eye Steve! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

stevemawmv
08-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Started looking at Loomis paintings, and found this one that reminded me of a M.Liepke painting that I really like...'correction, I like all of his work''... one of my favorite artist. Anyway sketched it out and painted it, it's a practice copy, if I could only paint like him, I'd be a happy little sole..Let me know if I need to remove it.

stevemawmv
08-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Good to see you doing a new one. Intriguing. This one is going to be sultry and more than a little bit feline
Thanks D Akey....Wish I could take the credit...But the paintings and the creativity belongs to Loomis and Liepke, I only acted on the inspiration...
Thanks for the 'Led Zep' memories friend...

Started looking at Loomis paintings, and found this one that reminded me of a M.Liepke painting that I really like...'correction, I like all of his work''... one of my favorite artist. Anyway sketched it out and painted it, it's a practice copy, if I could only paint like him, I'd be a happy little sole..Let me know if I need to remove it.
*These two wanted to get away from the creepy darlings on the previous page.....
Liepke practice copy and Loomis book cover...

D Akey
08-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Remove what? Loomis' cover? I think it may be out of copyright by now, though I'm not sure one way or the other. You're clearly not claiming that you painted it. Heck, go to EBay and look at the books they're selling there. They post covers all over the place and all the seller has done is buy a copy. I should think you're fine.

As to your painting, looks good. I would recommend perhaps softening her upper lip where the red meets the flesh. I know it's an odd thing considering her lips are painted in real life. But there are two ways to go:
1) That that strip of lip should be softer just on principle to keep it from looking like it's cut out and pasted on (yours or anybody's pic and it's not an area where you want the focus to go usually)
2) And if you do want to really feature candy apple red shiny glitzy glossy lips as was popular among glam artists in the early 80s, you want to really streamline your lines and make that edge less choppy.

Having said all that, this is a really pretty good painting and you should be pleased with it. You're zeroing in and refining with all the mileage you're getting.

Go man go.

stevemawmv
08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Jonquil.....Thank you so much for your reply and comments...really appreciate your visit.

Eighty.....I' am pretty sure I've got twelve posted of the little darlings.....

Robyn....It's really good seeing you painting and posting again, and thank you for your replies.... I 'am
looking forward to you getting back on schedule, just take it easy and continue taking your painting medicine.
Best wishes...

D Akey.....Thanks again, and thanks for the tips...just never know what to do or not to do when doing a practice copy of other's work..
But I've got some moody ones coming up, going back to the 'BR' world for awhile....feel safer there.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
08-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I was going to post something softer and less weird to make up for the 'Creepy Darlings' on previous page.....
But....still feeling a little strange....Sorry! May address the 'Flaws' someday...

D Akey
08-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Wow! Nice features. The eye and mouth look particularly good. I also like the colors in the upper half of the pic. You seem to be getting more color stuff happening which I see as very appetizing. I really like the orange hair and the turquoise background and some of the other mixed color bits like at the temple and how you introduced some yellow to the flesh up there. The color stuff there livens the painting up quite a bit. So bravo on all that dance of color up there. The only bit that for me is misleading is the gray in the flesh of the jaw because the gray starts to take on a local color quality which suggests that the flesh there looks a little masculine shall we say. It's only a matter of the color temperature. Flesh tones can be kind of tricky when one has a nice warmth in the light area and thus mixing a color as the values go down. You can get it a little darker but still mix a color that has vitality. That comes with experience. And once you get the trick of which colors work with what, it will flow pretty easily. But this is super cool.

But you're starting to jazz it up and combining that color flair in the upper half with your developed skill at nailing features like eyes and mouths, it's really shooting your paintings up into a whole new realm. You're juggling more balls and it's very appealing to the eye. Well done Steve! And keep pushing forward. It's going to be getting super fun for you now that you're getting a handle on some of the things you can do with color and brushwork beyond the literal. Bravo!!!!!! I'm loving it! Very cool to look at. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

gxhpainter2
09-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Steve, ditto in triplicate to what D Akey says.... I am really like your aventures into a more color expressive realm, and the expertise you have with the eyes and mouth really push your work into a new area of portraiture , very powerful work!.... you are on the right track here partner :cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
09-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Wow! Nice features. The eye and mouth look particularly good. I also like the colors in the upper half of the pic. You seem to be getting more color stuff happening which I see as very appetizing. I really like the orange hair and the turquoise background and some of the other mixed color bits like at the temple and how you introduced some yellow to the flesh up there. The color stuff there livens the painting up quite a bit. So bravo on all that dance of color up there. The only bit that for me is misleading is the gray in the flesh of the jaw because the gray starts to take on a local color quality which suggests that the flesh there looks a little masculine shall we say. It's only a matter of the color temperature. Flesh tones can be kind of tricky when one has a nice warmth in the light area and thus mixing a color as the values go down. You can get it a little darker but still mix a color that has vitality. That comes with experience. And once you get the trick of which colors work with what, it will flow pretty easily. But this is super cool.

But you're starting to jazz it up and combining that color flair in the upper half with your developed skill at nailing features like eyes and mouths, it's really shooting your paintings up into a whole new realm. You're juggling more balls and it's very appealing to the eye. Well done Steve! And keep pushing forward. It's going to be getting super fun for you now that you're getting a handle on some of the things you can do with color and brushwork beyond the literal. Bravo!!!!!! I'm loving it! Very cool to look at. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Thanks D Akey.....Was trying to get the colors to pop to go with her startled look, but you know from looking at my previous work I' am not big on bright colors.....
Here's a crop of her I was going to post later, but somebody beat me to it.....
Take care friend,
Steve

copespeak
09-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Your colours are a big change from your sombre, yet delightful chiascuro tones. She's very powerful and effective, and I do like her a lot!

stevemawmv
09-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Steve, ditto in to what D Akey says.... I am really like your aventures into a more color expressive realm, and the expertise you have with the eyes and mouth really push your work into a new area of portraiture , very powerful work!.... you are on the right track here partner :cool::cool::cool:
Hi Gary....It was fun doing this one, just never been through this door before.....Glad your back and glad you like the painting.
Take care friend,
Steve

eighty+
09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
I's be ere. O. Master ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D. POZDRAWSKI I Must say I do Like that cropped one;);)

eighty+
09-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi Steve Forgot to ask you How do you crop is it with the Magic Wand ??? ok thanks CIAO

Bertrude
09-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I like the cropped one too. Love the vibrance of the colours. Very nice.

The only thing that kind of looks a little odd (if you'll excuse me from mentioning it) is the ear. It looks too low to me.

D Akey
09-02-2014, 06:57 AM
In regards to the position of the ear, it would be natural if the head is angled back a little. In doing that the whole head would have to give that impression of tilting some. Honestly, I didn't notice it. But that's what the forums are for, to get various takes on each of the works. Something to consider why Bertrude said that, so we can see with a fresh pair of eyes. I remember at one point early on holding my paintings up to a mirror in order to get past my personal myopia that comes from trying to manage X,Y and Z and getting them to work and missing Q and R or something.

I was looking at this painting with Bertrude's fair comment in mind to see which part isn't giving the impression of being tilted back. The nose is an up angle, which some people naturally have, but I think it may be the mouth that feels more straight on. And that could be because it doesn't arc downward slightly. And perhaps the line of the eyes also doesn't arc much. But those are merely guesses of where problems of angle often occur. And these are questions I would ask myself as well when I'm painting and running into some oddity that I can't quite figure. If you do make tweaks, you may want to do it gradually to find the tipping point where it suddenly appears to be leaning back. . . or you can just raise the ear if that solution appeals more to you. Again, this is how I often think.

But like I maintain, comments are all for your consideration and growing awareness of all this stuff we mess around with.

And you certainly can see the areas you really exploded forward with = your colors, your rendering detail, and getting more and more finesse. Go man go!!!!

stevemawmv
09-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Your colours are a big change from your sombre, yet delightful chiascuro tones. She's very powerful and effective, and I do like her a lot!
Hi Robyn, Needed a little color in my work, glad you like the change....I like this one as well, will do a few more of her, this is actually the second one I've done.
Take care friend,
Steve

Comparing both....

stevemawmv
09-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I's be ere. O. Master ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D. POZDRAWSKI I Must say I do Like that cropped one;);)
Thanks Eighty....I agree, the crop is it! As for your question...Just use the selection tool, crop and export image...
Take care friend,
Steve

Leasaurus
09-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Wow! Love the Leeloo painting! Very well done. Makes me want to go watch the Fifth Element again. :)

stevemawmv
09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
I like the cropped one too. Love the vibrance of the colours. Very nice.
The only thing that kind of looks a little odd (if you'll excuse me from mentioning it) is the ear. It looks too low to me.
Thanks Bertrude.....Well I did name it Leeloo's flaws....I embellished her nature ones and exaggerated some of my own.. Offsetting the mouth, not centering the nose and playing with those eyes, more of a curving into a right symmetry...Oh yeah, and the ear....No perfect faces..Thank God...We'd be a strange looking bunch if there was!
And I agree the cropped one is cool, cropping almost corrected most of the flaws...intentional or natural!
Thanks for being honest and continuing with your support and encouragement...
Take care friend,
Steve

Didn't forget you D Akey and Leasaurus, just ran out of night....

AndreaMG
09-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Hello Dear Steve, how do you do? Very fine paintings, I particulary like the little girls.

stevemawmv
09-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi D Akey......I' am very happy Bertrude and yourself found these items, commented and gave advice on different options available to me....It shows me that my paintings are being looked at and thought about.....plus I get to learn new tips! Anyway the further I got with this one, the more imperfections I found, so I thought the title was appropriate.
Thanks friend,
Steve

Now you guys got me looking again at this, need to finish the crazy eyes!

stevemawmv
09-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow! Love the Leeloo painting! Very well done. Makes me want to go watch the Fifth Element again. :)
Thanks Leasaurus....I watched it a couple of weeks ago....and the colors in that movie still amaze me, I' am up to two Leeloo paintings already and
thinking about one more....Thanks again!
Steve

justjean
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
WOW Steve you are really painting up a storm and they are all great :):):):)

stevemawmv
09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi Andrea...Glad to see you back, and happy you liked the children.....
Take care friend,
Steve

Forgot the teeth.....

kenmo
09-04-2014, 04:26 AM
All I can say is WOW!!!! I'm so speechless and blown away by this....

stevemawmv
09-04-2014, 01:45 PM
WOW Steve you are really painting up a storm and they are all great :):):):)
Hi Jean....Was starting to worry about you, hadn't seen you around lately....Glad your back and happy you visited
me...Also happy you like the new ones, still managing one a week, sometimes.
Take care friend,
Steve

Different Angle...Just playing now.....

DarkOwnt
09-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Hey Stevemawmv:

Do you have any youtube vids posted?

I'm interested in your process, particularly color picking/mixing/blending.

If you had a video showing you working on a portrait in real time I would love to see it... my technique needs tweaking.

(I still prefer using Corel Painter but would like to use ArtRage more... I make colors blending on the image itself... I can't get the knack of doing it in Artrage without getting over saturated or off-base/out of place colors...)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
DO

pat1940
09-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi Steve, you sure have been a busy man, such great work and cropping, really like all of them lovely ladies.....Steve's Ladies lol:)

stevemawmv
09-05-2014, 03:39 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!! I'm so speechless and blown away by this....
Hi Ken......Thanks alot for your confidence reinforcing reply, but I think its the burst of colors thats making
this one pop! Plus she's a very interesting study....
Again, thank you!

Enug
09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
I enjoy looking at your paintings even if I don't comment - don't know enough about painting or your subjects to make a useful contribution.;) However, I do like all the colours you have used in rendering the skin on this latest and surprised how well it works.

Caesar
09-06-2014, 03:57 AM
I absolutely love You recent additions and style experimental evolution. All look excellent and the last lady looks a bit like Megan Fox who is a really attractive lady in my opinion ...

stevemawmv
09-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Hey Stevemawmv:Do you have any youtube vids posted? I'm interested in your process, particularly color picking/mixing/blending.If you had a video showing you working on a portrait in real time I would love to see it... my technique needs tweaking.
(I still prefer using Corel Painter but would like to use ArtRage more... I make colors blending on the image itself... I can't get the knack of doing it in Artrage without getting over saturated or off-base/out of place colors...)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
DO
Hi DarkOwnt...No, don't have any, most of the time just guessing and trying different things on every painting...I will do a breakdown of a painting in the WIP section soon....I Would like to see your work you've been doing?
Thanks and take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
09-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Hi Steve, you sure have been a busy man, such great work and cropping, really like all of them lovely ladies.....Steve's Ladies lol:)
Hi Pat.....Glad you like them all, when I' am not busy I experiment with the crops and different views or keep posting the same painting multiple times to make it look as if I'am busy......
Take care friend,
Steve

Here's a new one..........
The Reflections of Light!
Version one....Full Light
Version Two...Less Light

D Akey
09-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Hi Pat.....Glad you like them all, when I' am not busy I experiment with the crops and different views or keep posting the same painting multiple times to make it look as if I'am busy......
Take care friend,
Steve

Holy Crop, Batman! You're not the famous Stax Records house guitarist with Booker T and the MGs = Steve Cropper, by any chance?

Love your style, man!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
I enjoy looking at your paintings even if I don't comment - don't know enough about painting or your subjects to make a useful contribution.;) However, I do like all the colours you have used in rendering the skin on this latest and surprised how well it works.
Thank you Enug....I' am happy you did comment, most of my portraits are of characters from movies I 've enjoyed over the years....and this one is also and a little test on bright colors, usually my work is dark....Feel free to visit anytime you want, and comment if you feel like it. And the "don't know enough about painting" comment you made about yourself....Don't short change yourself I've seen your work and I have enjoyed all of your paintings !
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
09-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Caesar my friend....Back from Sardinia, did you learn the secrets of longevity while there?....Hope you and family had a wonderful time, and I' am happy your back!
Funny you mentioned Megan, I' am in the middle of painting her now....
Take care,
Steve

Memories of Light work.....
And upcoming Megan for Caesar....

D Akey
09-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Her eye is like a limpid pool. . .

gxhpainter2
09-07-2014, 04:15 AM
Steve, wow you have been busy, I love the Memories of light... great title and super painting, you REALLY captured a sense of morning light catching her face.. and the blue eye is amazing work... :):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
09-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Holy Crop, Batman! You're not the famous Stax Records house guitarist with Booker T and the MGs = Steve Cropper, by any chance? Love your style, man! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Hey DA......Oh Yeah!...Crops or Chops, depends on what I 'am in the mood for....My guitar has been collecting dust since my operation, Checked on Cropper, still a kickin'... sorry to hear of Donald "Duck" Dunn passing though..
Take care and have a good weekend!

Haven't forgotten about you Gary....I need coffee!

Enug
09-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Hi Steve, I have to echo the two comments above as I can't think of another way of putting the same sentiments. I find the first painting suggests something as fragile as butterfly wings and the eye looks like a Swarovski crystal.

AndreaMG
09-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Holy Crop...
Haha, nice one Dear D :D

Dear Steve, what can I say? Even though this one is engulfed in light it has a noir vibe to it. Really impressive my friend :cool::cool::cool:

jmac
09-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Hello Steve,
I have not commented about you work in a while but I follow your posts with interest. I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your command of ArtRage in general and with your painting ability specifically. Your work has always been strong, at least for the length of time I have been a member here, but still, I believe you have improved a great deal. You have a good eye for composition and I admire your paint application to the point of envy. I would find it interesting to see you post a reference image along side the finished painting some time in the future. I know there are times you stick to the image and others not as much. In those latter cases I would like to be able to compare the two and see the choices you made.

I know you have your own reasons and motivations for painting, the enjoyment of it being key among them. But I believe you could be very successful with your art on a professional level, if you were ever so inclined. Thanks for sharing the work you have done and I wish you continued success.

stevemawmv
09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve, wow you have been busy, I love the Memories of light... great title and super painting, you REALLY captured a sense of morning light catching her face.. and the blue eye is amazing work... :):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Thanks Gary....This was my little test with light and far I could push it. I've noticed that the lighter I made it the less detail of brush and knife strokes can be seen.....Bummer!
Here's my Original at full light and frame...
Second one is less light Crop....

copespeak
09-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Such a beautiful dreamy image Steve. You're very clever! :)

Ostogar
09-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Great, brilliant, masterly...

stevemawmv
09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi Steve, I have to echo the two comments above as I can't think of another way of putting the same sentiments. I find the first painting suggests something as fragile as butterfly wings and the eye looks like a Swarovski crystal.
Thank you Enug.....Wanted this one to be Soft, fragile and light....This is actually one of two paintings that I've been working on, the other is a dark, very dark one of the same model.
Take care,
Steve
Increased Light.....
And full Frame Less light....

stevemawmv
09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Andrea.......Thank you friend, glad you like the final painting, it took some time though!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
09-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Hello Steve,
I have not commented about you work in a while but I follow your posts with interest. I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your command of ArtRage in general and with your painting ability specifically. Your work has always been strong, at least for the length of time I have been a member here, but still, I believe you have improved a great deal. You have a good eye for composition and I admire your paint application to the point of envy.
Hi James, Really good to see your post, been wondering what you've been up to, hope all is well for you.....Thanks so much for this reply, it is certainly a confidence booster and makes me happy you've enjoyed viewing my work.

Such a beautiful dreamy image Steve. You're very clever! :)
Thanks Robyn...I found that if my images were painted really dark or very lightly it hid the fact that I don't know what I' am doing half the time!

Bertrude
09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Lovely, just lovely. I like the last one the most (cleanfull) and love the way you've captured that hazy light coming in from the left and the way it permeates the scene.

Caesar
09-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Smoke get in her eyes ... beatiful as a love song! Now i'm looking formard to admire your Megan's masterpiece then! ;)
Sardinia may really be a long life elixir, but I'm not moving there apart for holidays. Too many and expensive taxes to have a house over there too ...:(

kenmo
09-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Love the atmosphere and mood of this painting....

stevemawmv
09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Her eye is like a limpid pool. . .
Hi D Akey....Can't believe you were distracted so much by that eye, you didn't see the actual new paintings before and after Caesars little Megan tease....She does have beautiful eyes though...
Take care friend,
Steve

gxhpainter2
09-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Thanks Gary....This was my little test with light and far I could push it. I've noticed that the lighter I made it the less detail of brush and knife strokes can be seen.....Bummer!
Here's my Original at full light and frame...
Second one is less light Crop.... Steve, yep I have experienced that as well,, if you want to lighten up the image it turns washed out, quite different than handling oils, acrylics or watercolors, I don't know if you have Photoshop but taking a very light image and bumping up with a vibrance adjustment helps to some degree. You now can get Photoshop Creative Cloud and free updates for $9.00 a month... not to bad a price...:cool::cool: I also tend to wind up with dark color pallets and have tried to do some lighter colors and lighter neutrals and isolate the darks to smaller areas..anyway that is one of the challenges of digital work...:):):cool::cool:

stevemawmv
09-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Great, brilliant, masterly...
Thank you very much Kepa....I thoughly enjoy your work as well.

Lovely, just lovely. I like the last one the most (cleanfull) and love the way you've captured that hazy light coming in from the left and the way it permeates the scene.
Thanks Bertrude....That's the one i like as well...Loved doing this, but what a pain it was!
Take care......

stevemawmv
09-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Smoke get in her eyes ... beatiful as a love song! Now i'm looking formard to admire your Megan's masterpiece then! ;)
Caesar....Thank you dear friend, I' am very happy you like her, as for Megan... still working on her, but coming along nicely....

Love the atmosphere and mood of this painting....
Hi Ken....My first try at this...smoke, darkness and reflections of passing light through the blinds, glad you like it....
Take care both of you.....
Steve

TomasBj
09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Beautiful work in this thread! I really love the lighting in your pieces!

D Akey
09-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Play Misty for me, Bladerunner. . . Very atmospheric. Gotta love atmosphere to take a plain image out of the realm of literalness and into the realm of the imagination and dreams. . . Very cool.

stevemawmv
09-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Beautiful work in this thread! I really love the lighting in your pieces!
Thank you very much Tomas....And welcome again!.....Glad you enjoyed my thread, I like playing with light
and shadows...Some rather dark paintings are coming up soon.
Take care,
Steve

Rom__
09-12-2014, 01:48 PM
join Very cool!!

stevemawmv
09-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Play Misty for me, Bladerunner. . . Very atmospheric. Gotta love atmosphere to take a plain image out of the realm of literalness and into the realm of the imagination and dreams. . . Very cool.
Hi D Akey....I was hoping you didn't get distracted to much by Megan's big blue eyes that you missed Rachael wondering about herself and who's dreams she's really dreaming.... Glad you like, was fun doing it...but it was a toughy! still love going through the stills and seeing how amazing Cronenweth's genius of setting up those shots were....
Take care friend,
Steve

banctor
09-13-2014, 02:35 AM
Your style has a Edward Hopper's touch! I like.
Best wishes!

SCP
09-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Awesome work Steve,you have captured the lighting well.I also enjoyed the return to Blade Runner.:cool::cool::cool:;)

stevemawmv
09-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Another character from a television series I enjoy.......She's a bit moody and sometimes misunderstood.....Well maybe a lot!
"Would you like a glass of water?" is usually the question she'll ask you if she's nervous.....

stevemawmv
09-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Your style has a Edward Hopper's touch! I like.
Best wishes!
Funny you should mention Hopper, I've had his paintings as screensavers for years...Always have wondered about his 'sometimes lonely looking' , 'lost in thought', desperate and sometimes questionable looking characters in his paintings..I' am a big fan of his work...
Thank you very much Banctor....
Steve

Actually based this painting of my daughter http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79108&d=1390978552 on Hopper's 'Automat' http://www.wikiart.org/en/edward-hopper/automat-1927#supersized-artistPaintings-235527

stevemawmv
09-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Awesome work Steve,you have captured the lighting well.I also enjoyed the return to Blade Runner.:cool::cool::cool:;)
Thanks Scott.....Have some BR painting coming up, but since you do a lot of multi-eyed creatures thought I would do one for you....
Hope you like it....
Thanks again mate!

stevemawmv
09-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Very cool!!
Hello Rom__ Спасибо очень любезно. Благодарим Вас за посещение ....
Thanks for visiting.....Take care,
Steve

gxhpainter2
09-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Steve, you have been busy, I have a hard time keeping up with all that goes on here, between working and the essential time keeping my dog happy:rolleyes:. I was interested that you like paintings by Hopper I can see the attraction and influences I will have to look more deeply into his work, I know all the famous ones but I don't think I ever really spent time looking at some of the other lesser known works. You have such a remarkable eye and patience for detail, I really like the painting in the café of your daughter, and the latest works , such excellent control of tone , color and brushwork.. hope your feeling better and can get out to the ocean for a walk soon..:cool::cool::cool::):):):):) ps... love the tribute to SCP.. she is MONSTROUS!.:eek::eek:

D Akey
09-14-2014, 06:50 AM
As bogey would say, she's one tall drink of water.

I never knew what the heck that was referring to other than an overt reference to avoiding the literal stuff to make it palatable the censors. . . and plus it is kinda catchy in that it gives pause like "Huh?. . . Oh yeah. . . I get it. . ."

Anyway I'm wondering if that's what she's hinting at when she asks is they want a glass of water? I haven't seen the show, but the mind boggles.

That last pic is really disturbing, hahahaha. It must be the water. . .

AndreaMG
09-14-2014, 08:06 AM
She's lovely, never seen the show, but looks cool. I do love Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs, this one looks less action oriented. Take care ;)

copespeak
09-14-2014, 09:44 AM
She is lovely Steve, beautifully rendered.

samiro
09-14-2014, 10:00 AM
beautiful face..Oh very beautiful eyes:p

eighty+
09-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi STEVE very good i might have a go at the half crop to help me with the oil brush ok CIAO POZDRAWSKI]]]]]]]

stevemawmv
09-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Gary.....Yeah I have a hard time keeping up as well, lots of fun paintings being posted....Hope your well and the dog is happy! 'Edward Hopper', love his paintings always have....definitely check out as many as you can, I use to wonder of all the soles he painted were they all so lonely? I'am happy you looked at my daughter's painting, it's a lonely image as well, but then again all my paintings are of single individuals...must be a message in that...thinking of fixing that soon though.
Thank you Gary...your good support!
Steve

Enug
09-15-2014, 02:25 AM
You certainly have a way with faces, especially eyes. I hadn't heard of the actress or the show (Covert Affairs) so I checked with my friend Google and you have painted an excellent likeness. The TV series sounds like something I would enjoy - I don't think it ever made it's way down here.

stevemawmv
09-15-2014, 06:52 AM
As bogey would say, she's one tall drink of water.I never knew what the heck that was referring to other than an overt reference to avoiding the literal stuff to make it palatable the censors. . . and plus it is kinda catchy in that it gives pause like "Huh?. . . Oh yeah. . . I get it. . ."
Anyway I'm wondering if that's what she's hinting at when she asks is they want a glass of water? I haven't seen the show, but the mind boggles
That's she tall, cool, sexy and refreshing to the eyes......Lauren certainly was, and more confident and direct in her pleasantries....How about.....
“You don’t have to say anything, and you don’t have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don’t you, D Akey? You just put your lips together and … blow.”
Take care friend,
Steve

This is not Lauren though, it is D.Kruger of 'The Bridge'....

AndreaMG
09-15-2014, 07:00 AM
You certainly have a way with faces, especially eyes. I hadn't heard of the actress or the show (Covert Affairs) so I checked with my friend Google and you have painted an excellent likeness. The TV series sounds like something I would enjoy - I don't think it ever made it's way down here.

She's not Piper P. (that was the other actress I was referring to), I think she's Diane Kruger from "The Bridge" TV show, but they are both born in 1976!! :o

stevemawmv
09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
She's lovely, never seen the show, but looks cool. I do love Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs, this one looks less action oriented. Take care ;)
Thank you Andrea....Haven't seen Covert Affairs, but there's definitely action in this one, sometimes a bit much...Your right on the show and actress, I thought I left good clues....Don't like to use names too much because of the capacities of the advance technologies of search engines these days...But, then again...no such thing as privacy anymore...
Take care friend,
Steve

Leasaurus
09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
That looks fantastic! :D

stevemawmv
09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
She is lovely Steve, beautifully rendered.
Thank you dear Robyn.....Glad you like her, wanted to see where the brushes were on this one, so its a bit rough...
Take care friend,
Steve

byroncallas
09-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Checking in after another long absence. This thread remains a marvel. Wonderful.

stevemawmv
09-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Hello Samiro.....Glad you like her and thank you for your kind comments....

Hi Eighty....Thanks for visiting...I checked out your version, good job friend!
Both of you take care,
Steve

Caesar
09-16-2014, 04:17 AM
What a gorgeous blonde and terrific skill You've got! :eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Alexandra
09-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Wow, how beautiful, Steve.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
09-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Hello Enug...Thanks, glad you visited ...I've got to check out that show as well, but this actress is from 'The Bridge', D.Kruger...plays Sonya.

stevemawmv
09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
That looks fantastic! :D
Thanks Leasaurus....I appreciate the reply, thank you so much!

stevemawmv
09-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Checking in after another long absence. This thread remains a marvel. Wonderful.
Hi Byron...Your welcome anytime, good to hear from you and hope all is well.....thanks for visiting and I' am sure I'll have some new ones for you next visit.
Take Care,
Steve
Here's some more of my silly eyes.....

stevemawmv
09-18-2014, 07:19 PM
What a gorgeous blonde and terrific skill You've got! :eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D
Thanks Caesar......That she is my friend!.....I appreciate your comments....
Take care,
Steve
'Eyes Returning'...

Caesar
09-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Dear Steve, You go on teasing us with marvellous bits and pieces of wonderful ladies ... longing for looking at them in their entirety .... All new additions are exceptional!

D Akey
09-19-2014, 07:41 AM
If Sauron were a female. . . LOOK OUT HOBBITSES. . . The nausty eye woould ssssurely be in Steveses' threadsss. . .

Bertrude
09-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Cracking lighting and eye in that last one :)

copespeak
09-19-2014, 10:13 AM
A real close up of a fabulous eye Steve. :)

stevemawmv
09-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Dear Geoff,
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Steve

stevemawmv
09-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Wow, how beautiful, Steve.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Thanks you dear Sandy....Well Wow for this cool reply! Thanks for visiting.....

Dear Steve, You go on teasing us with marvelous bits and pieces of wonderful ladies ... longing for looking at them in their entirety .... All new additions are exceptional!
Dear Caesar.....You know how slow and how I drag on things, there in the works.....they will be here friend!

If Sauron were a female. . . LOOK OUT HOBBITSES. . . The nausty eye woould ssssurely be in Steveses' threadsss. . .
HI D Akey.....I' am calling my uncle and cousins in Scotland to get a wee bit of a translation from your reply, but it must be those eyes again messin' about....

Cracking lighting and eye in that last one :)
Thanks Bertrude.....Now if I could only get the 'Lightning cracking in them eyes, they would be memorable...

A real close up of a fabulous eye Steve. :)
Thank you dear Robyn....Me and my eyes, you know I've got about forty sets of these, thinking on do one big picture of them all....
Take care all,
Steve

Sorry Caesar.....I can't help myself!
D.Kruger again....Different view.

Caesar
09-19-2014, 08:19 PM
What a charming population on Your WIP canvases, dear Steve. Let's play the trumpets to celebrate this new entry! :o;) I'm quite envious of Your "studios", so magnificently attended by beauties! Fantastic artpieces indeed!

D Akey
09-20-2014, 03:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
----
HI D Akey.....I' am calling my uncle and cousins in Scotland to get a wee bit of a translation from your reply, but it must be those eyes again messin' about....

Hahaha. Do they speak a wee bit o' Gollem in Scotland, then laddie?

Dipping into the arcane lore and languages of the Scots, me kin as well. . . oh aye. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNYCGZMtI8

Oh and nice painting.

Another idea, as you progress in your handling of paint, you could, as an option, begin thinking in terms of masses that can be managed with fewer larger strokes or daubs rather than so much stippling. I mean, it's fine to stipple, but it might be something to aim for because it will free you up to get some additional artistic expression -- a personal voice so to speak. So much of an artist's personal look comes through in paint application and brushwork.

But these all rock! You're doing great. Love this last one. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bu the way, on second viewing it popped out your simplification of the edges which really is a very attractive look. Streamlined and stylized. Good work.

stevemawmv
09-20-2014, 04:48 PM
What a charming population on Your WIP canvases, dear Steve. Let's play the trumpets to celebrate this new entry! :o;) I'm quite envious of Your "studios", so magnificently attended by beauties! Fantastic artpieces indeedCaesar......You're far too kind my friend, couple more tweaks and I'll post the updated version....As for the beauties in attendance, I've seen quite a few from you dear Caesar......

Hahaha. Do they speak a wee bit o' Gollem in Scotland, then laddie? Dipping into the arcane lore and languages of the Scots, me kin as well. . . oh aye. . .Aye, they might as well be, must sadly admit that my mom had to translate what my poor old uncle was saying to me at our last visit, she was discreet about it, waited till we got back to the hotel...Was good seeing Gollum's acceptance speech...it cracked me up, loved he was so open about his feelings, Hehe...As he would say 'Woe is me..woe is me'........

Sonya Two...Full frame.

gxhpainter2
09-21-2014, 06:45 AM
more outstanding work here , Steve I think your closeup and cropping angles , and use of light make these latest very monumental, I can easily envison them working well at a very large scale... 6' x 8' easily. they are very personal yet very cool and abstract in their own way... I definitely see a progression toward a personal voice as DAkey says..:cool::cool:

AndreaMG
09-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Thank you dear Robyn....Me and my eyes, you know I've got about forty sets of these, thinking on do one big picture of them all....

Haha, you must have been an oculist in aprevious life :p. What a gorgeous painting last one. I find it even more interesting in the slightly rotated pic, reminds me of your very early works :D Cheers

Bertrude
09-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Very nice Steve. I love the use of negative space in this composition and the boldness it then creates.

stevemawmv
09-22-2014, 06:37 AM
more outstanding work here , Steve I think your closeup and cropping angles , and use of light make these latest very monumental, I can easily envison them working well at a very large scale... 6' x 8' easily. they are very personal yet very cool and abstract in their own way... I definitely see a progression toward a personal voice as DAkey says..:cool::cool:Hi Gary....My croppings and such, may upset some and confuss others....I just like seeing if there was something else I couldn't have done, to make it a little different...As for large scale paintings, I've been in homes with huge paintings of close ups of faces.....Very cool!...but for me I'am happy being in this little digital box right now, but if I ever did would make my mom happy.
Take care dear friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Haha, you must have been an oculist in aprevious life :p. What a gorgeous painting last one. I find it even more interesting in the slightly rotated pic, reminds me of your very early works :D CheersDear Andrea, Oh yeah!....I love those eyes!....You know....I like that one as well dear friend, 'the glamour shot'....you know me to well!
Take care,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
09-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Very nice all!

Caesar
09-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Your paintings would deserve to go on book covers. They would be perfect for the 40ies of 50ies thriller stories for instance. Another gorgeous blonde character!

stevemawmv
09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Very nice Steve. I love the use of negative space in this composition and the boldness it then creates.
Hello Bertrude...Thanks you very much, sometimes I'll use a color background, sometimes go crazy like 'Waiting' but mostly I like the empty black spaces, gives one a chance to come up with they're own senarios or try to guess what I inteeded was going on..
Take care.....
Also like trying different crops....

Caesar
09-25-2014, 07:34 PM
From what I see and what You say You're a late Caravaggio disciple to some extent ... who actually didn't have any, just emulators and followers for quite a long time ....

Enug
09-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Steve. Love the crops - almost looks like a different painting.

justjean
09-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Steve, always a joy to drop in and see your wonderful paintings

Alexandra
09-26-2014, 02:50 AM
Incredible, wow, amazing Steve!

stevemawmv
09-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Very nice all!Thanks Marilyn....Thanks for visiting and glad you like them all!

Your paintings would deserve to go on book covers. They would be perfect for the 40ies of 50ies thriller stories for instance. Another gorgeous blonde character!From what I see and what You say You're a late Caravaggio disciple to some extent ... who actually didn't have any, just emulators and followers for quite a long time ....[/Hi Caesar...The mysterious blonde in the beginning of the story, and her identity not to be revealed until the middle of the story....Checking on Caravaggio now!

Hi Steve. Love the crops - almost looks like a different painting.Thanks Enug....Just makes it that more interesting at least to me...Glad you like them as well.

D Akey
09-26-2014, 05:29 AM
The way she's getting closer I feel like she and I are about to kiss. . . Only think is if she were that close in real life she would be waaaayyyy out of focus for me eyes, hahaha.

You are a prime candidate for doing movie titles -- putting her under a bunch of camera moves, sliding her through, zooming in, flipping the image, dissolves etc etc. . . Ken Burns is waiting for you. He broke into the scene by doing the acclaimed Civil War series for PBS. He was stuck with a bunch of stills from that time -- letters, photos etc. And as it was being narrated, he decided to go to town with camera moves on them just to keep it interesting visually -- and it worked so well that they named the effect after him.

Anyway, she still looks good. I'm rather waiting for you to report back that she's speaking to you. Go man go!!!!!!

jmac
09-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Beautiful work Steve. Just beautiful.

stevemawmv
09-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Steve, always a joy to drop in and see your wonderful paintingsThank you Jean...good to hear from you, hope all's well....

Incredible, wow, amazing Steve!Sandy...Thank you! I love replies like this, don't know what to say though...

stevemawmv
09-27-2014, 07:43 AM
The way she's getting closer I feel like she and I are about to kiss. . . Only think is if she were that close in real life she would be waaaayyyy out of focus for me eyes, hahaha. Anyway, she still looks good. I'm rather waiting for you to report back that she's speaking to you. Go man go!!!!!!If it were real life...I really think your eyes should be shut if you found yourself in that situation dear D Akey....And they all speak to me one way or another...
Thanks friend and take care..

D Akey
09-27-2014, 09:22 AM
If it were real life...I really think your eyes should be shut if you found yourself in that situation dear D Akey....And they all speak to me one way or another...
Thanks friend and take care..

Right. . . so whilst she's chattin' you up, did she mention me in kindness? <sigh> Oh well. . . paint some, loose some.

Ah. . . I remember those tender lips. . . <shivers> . . . I said 'shivers', not 'slivers'. . .

stevemawmv
09-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Right. . . so whilst she's chattin' you up, did she mention me in kindness? <sigh> Oh well. . . paint some, loose some.
Ah. . . I remember those tender lips. . . <shivers> . . . I said 'shivers', not 'slivers'. . .Most favorably D Akey.... most favorably...she went on and on about you.....Spare your sighs, won't be needed! She said "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship", Opps..may have heard that in Casablanca.... Anyway she'll return soon in a different scene...you can continue this relationship then my friend...
Take care.....

Beautiful work Steve. Just beautiful.Thank you dear James....As you can see I'am still experimenting with various styles...Really like this one...thick and direct, somewhat theatrical..but that's what I'am going for currently.
Take care....

byroncallas
09-28-2014, 03:05 AM
Steve, it does make one dream. :-) Wonderful.

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Steve, it does make one dream. :-) Wonderful.Thank you Byron...My dreams will never become a reality, but that doesn't make them that less attractive to me and hopefully others....I' am happy you share in the thought.
Take care......

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Something new for me, not very good at it....will probably stick to my portraits.

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Or something I can't have anymore....

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Or something I couldn't resist posting again....

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Or just a beginning of eye....or two!

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Last one...
Just trying to see how many images I can manage to get on one page without anyone noticing...
Looks like nineteen.....

stevemawmv
09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Thought it fitting to start this off in black and white....then add some Turner color, think I like the B/W better...
Oh!....This will probably be my last attempt with drawing caricatures instead of painting portraits....

The bottom one is the first I did....Sorry to all that have seen this one already..
'Medium smooth'?
As D Akey replied..."Clearly a 'Gooooooodd Evening'. . .for you"

gxhpainter2
09-29-2014, 07:49 AM
steve, these are GREAT!... they have a rough, unpolished look that works for the characters !... I quite like them and they are a great exploration of a new technique and style. so did you do the skin tones on a different layer and set the blend mode.. I am guess that from the first one done in gray , white and black.. ??

Caesar
09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
I absolutely enjoy any experiment and painting You made, the eyes that you paint wonderfully with any tool and all the different subject You exhibited. Extraordinary outcomes!

D Akey
09-30-2014, 05:13 AM
<moist intake of air> a goooooood painting <sssssccchhhhppppp> (if I recall the old impressionists who would do Hitchcock with that slightly labored intake of breath as he moved into his signature salutation). . .

Fun, and all Bates Motel. . . as we head into Halloween. . . Would be rather funny (IMHO) to have Hitchcock standing there and then have a maniacal Anthony Perkins drop the Hitchcock mask and and sort of shake out of that persona. . .

stevemawmv
09-30-2014, 07:22 AM
steve, these are GREAT!... they have a rough, unpolished look that works for the characters !... I quite like them and they are a great exploration of a new technique and style. so did you do the skin tones on a different layer and set the blend mode.. I am guess that from the first one done in gray , white and black.. ??Hi Gary....Hope your weekend went well...I was left to my own devices, therefore I goofed off....Just playing and drawing, yes.. used layers then colored the images. Was going for the 'on the street sketch' look as if Tony and Hitch came across a street artist...and Hitch said 'Let's give it a go'....
Thanks friend...take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I absolutely enjoy any experiment and painting You made, the eyes that you paint wonderfully with any tool and all the different subject You exhibited. Extraordinary outcomes!Hi Caesar....Well, you and I have our experiments...and we like making them interesting and this was another one of mine. Was trying for the look of the quick street portraits I've seen being done in most cities I have visited....Turned out messy and rough, I kind of like it though...and that's what I was going for! It was fun but probably won't be doing anymore anytime soon.
Thanks friend....

stevemawmv
10-01-2014, 07:22 PM
<moist intake of air> a goooooood painting <sssssccchhhhppppp> (if I recall the old impressionists who would do Hitchcock with that slightly labored intake of breath as he moved into his signature salutation). . .
Fun, and all Bates Motel. . . as we head into Halloween. . . Would be rather funny (IMHO) to have Hitchcock standing there and then have a maniacal Anthony Perkins drop the Hitchcock mask and and sort of shake out of that persona. . .Thanks D Akey...That would be a great scenario...Just realized this is the second Hitchcock I've done, so now thinking one more should be done....did a roughy, did a medium smooth and later should add a super smooth to the collection.....
Thanks and take care......

D Akey
10-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Wrong post, wrong place....

Absolutely! (huh?)

Caesar
10-01-2014, 10:48 PM
I must have seen this chubby gentleman before somewhere :confused::rolleyes: ...LOL:o;)Well done! I hope You didn't actually chop his head like some vile loose demons are doing in this period.

Alexandra
10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I am such a Hitchcock fan, Steve, excellent protraits!!!

stevemawmv
10-04-2014, 04:55 AM
I must have seen this chubby gentleman before somewhere :confused::rolleyes: ...LOL:o;)Well done! Hello Caesar....Yes, yes you certainly have my friend....thought it would be nice to dig this one up for a comparison of styles I was trying to achieve.
Take care,
Steve
Here's some reminders....

D Akey
10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Holy mackerel -- Chasing Eighty <--- wasn't that a movie. . . no Chasing Amy. . . anyway, you're about to hit your 100th page in this thread! WOW!! Go GO GOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

stevemawmv
10-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi Sandy....

I am such a Hitchcock fan, Steve, excellent protraits!!!Me too....And sometimes I sneak that admiration into my paintings, hope it works when I do.
Thank you kindly!
And here's a tiny example....Remember?

stevemawmv
10-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Holy mackerel -- Chasing Eighty <--- wasn't that a movie. . . no Chasing Amy. . . anyway, you're about to hit your 100th page in this thread! WOW!! Go GO GOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks D Akey.....It's almost been a year with this thread, and it's been fun keeping it going....you've been a good supporter and I appreaciate. Hope to keep it alive a bit longer and continue with interesting and hopefully fun images...
Thank you and all that have replied with the kind comments.
Steve

Enug
10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi Steve - when Mr.Akey drew my attention to the fact that this thread now has 100 pages, I went back and looked at the early pages which I had missed. A wonderful thread. Congratulations!

stevemawmv
10-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi Steve - when Mr.Akey drew my attention to the fact that this thread now has 100 pages, I went back and looked at the early pages which I had missed. A wonderful thread. Congratulations!Hi June and thanks for checking out the earlier stuff....It's been a blast! Lots of looks but not many reply, I truly appreciate you taking the time and everyone that have replied over the year.
Take care,
Steve

D Akey
10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Here, let me give you a leg up. . . n-N-n-n-n-early there. . . <insert grunting noises> and over the wall you get. . . 100. . . geez, Steve. . . you've gained weight. . .

Enug
10-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi June and thanks for checking out the earlier stuff....It's been a blast! Lots of looks but not many reply, I truly appreciate you taking the time and everyone that have replied over the year.
Take care,
Steve

Steve, I think most of the viewers are guests - I checked just now and there are four of us plus 172 guests on line. I know what you mean tho - it's disappointing not to get comments and so lovely when you do. Especially, in my case when helpful advice is offered.

stevemawmv
10-06-2014, 08:19 PM
D Akey...
Here, let me give you a leg up. . . n-N-n-n-n-early there. . . <insert grunting noises> and over the wall you get. . . 100. . . geez, Steve. . . you've gained weight. . .Well, almost there....just a couple more to go.
Thanks D Akey...

Hi June....Thank you very much for your reply, I'am happy you and others take the time to look and comment, I'll continue to make the thread interesting and fun...
Again, thank you both and all that have replied over the year!
Steve

This one is almost done...

stevemawmv
10-06-2014, 08:31 PM
This is the start of a small set of paintings.....And this is the lead in for the series.

gxhpainter2
10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Wow over a year and 100+ pages, that makes you an old timer I guess Steve!... it has been a wonderful artistic journey you have shared with us!... we are most fortunate to have your presence and sense of humor along with Messr. D Akey ... I like this new shift of direction, hands and music sounds like fun to me!...:cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
10-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Thanks Gary for helping me get to the 100th and being the first to reply on it! And more importantly I thank you for your wonderful comments you've left on these pages, I really appreciate them ....D Akey and June were trying to push me over the wall yesterday and I thank them for they're efforts....I 'am Looking forward to continuing this thread and hopefully keeping it fun.
Take care friend, and all that have looked in and replied....
Steve

Enug
10-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi Steve, beautiful hands and thanks for the clickable enlargement as I wanted a close up of those fingernails - so well done.

D Akey
10-08-2014, 05:54 AM
I'm also marveling at how much you've grown with your art in this year. Really super, Steve! Congrats.

So about this particular painting, when you're working off of originals with limited information, that's when knowledge of anatomy comes in handy. I believe that with an image that so simple that subtlety is a make or break feature. And knowing how the bones in the hand, and the planes work, and how the lighting would hit and articulate it, and using that to fill in what the source photo or screen grab doesn't, it would make a huge difference. Were this a much wider shot where there's something else to focus on, like her head, that it wouldn't be such a big deal.

The cool thing about this is that you can play around with different tricks in painting and seeing how best one could accomplish an effect. Like the keys, how could you picture a large area with iterations rather than painting in each key separately. That's sort of asking for it to go against the repeating shape. On the keyboard there's a whole plane unifying it. Again, it comes down to planes and showing surface angles and working the lighting to describe what's happening in the image.

Think big picture first and then start breaking it up as needed.

Go man go! Tickle them ivories. . .

kenmo
10-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Excellent....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi Steve, beautiful hands and thanks for the clickable enlargement as I wanted a close up of those fingernails - so well done.Hello June...Thank you!
Them fingernails...kinda guessed at them, the ref' was dark and lacking detail, glad you like it....I' am finishing up the painting that goes with this one this week.
Take care,
Steve

pai
10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Hi Steve, so nice to see so many new great additions and process snaps. I really like the pianist's hands as I love piano music a lot :)

stevemawmv
10-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi D Akey....Thank you for that opening comment, really quite thoughtful and very much appreciated. Was going to reply with quote...but I thought it would seem like showing off..Hehehe! Now about the painting, most of the Rachael ones are of her in the apartment, figured it was time for the piano shot. Was going to be one painting, but decided to make it two and crop the hell out of them to make it bit more interesting. So be watching out, there's more to come...Oh, I am going to quote you here though "Think big picture first and then start breaking it up as needed", I like that...and think I may have done that?
Take care friend,
Steve

Caesar
10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Reminded me of the movie "The piano player on the Ocean" or whatever the title was in English .... The fingers seem to move with agility on the keys!

stevemawmv
10-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Excellent....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:T hanks Ken...Very nice!...'Appreciated! Take care,
Steve

Reminded me of the movie "The piano player on the Ocean" or whatever the title was in English .... The fingers seem to move with agility on the keys!Thanks Caesar...I was hoping those fingers weren't going to get stuck in all that thick paint...'La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano' or 'The Legend of 1900', didn't see it but will check it out...Take care,
Steve