PDA

View Full Version : Stevemawmv's Gallery (Shared Reflections.....)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

coops
02-05-2014, 12:55 AM
This is stunning work and would love to know what the story is. Well done:)

AndreaMG
02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks Andrea,
Looking forward to you posting your new paintings....OH!.....Ciao Bruno, Ora so dove il talento proviene.
Saluti,
Steve
Thanks Dear Steve, nice italian! :cool: Bruno says hello too!

stevemawmv
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Hello Coops,
Thank you very much! It's the smoothest one to date, my fingers cramped up after this one.
Take care,
Steve

Hello Andrea,
Tell Bruno, mine was a '62' XKE convertible..dark red, loved it and wish I still had it.
Where's your painting?
Take care,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
02-07-2014, 02:45 AM
It is hard to believe that you can do this kind of work digitally.

copespeak
02-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Steve, she's quite marvelous! :)

stevemawmv
02-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Hello Marilyn,
And thank goodness for it, don't think I could paint these with real oil...
I gave it a try ten years ago, and the results don't even compare to what
I stumble and manage to do in Artrage.
Thank you,
Steve

Hi Robyn,
You know I'm happy you like it, means a lot coming from you and everyone
in this forum. And I really think because of it, makes it easier to continue and
makes the experience that more enjoyable.
Beats watching TV.....
Thank you,
Steve

eighty+
02-08-2014, 02:20 AM
hi Steve I looked frightened me to death wont B able to copy as haven't your skills ok regards to family SLAINTE ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

stevemawmv
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Hello Eighty......
Thanks for stopping by, your talents for painting far exceed mine.
Your latest are fantastic and prove my point....
Take care friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
02-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Hello Andrea,
Tell Bruno, mine was a '62' XKE convertible..dark red, loved it and wish I still had it.
Where's your painting?
Take care,
Steve
Such a nice car, ah those spoke wheels :cool: Really happy that nowadays jag is back on the right track.
Well I'm working on it :o
Take care

AndreaMG
02-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Thanks Andrea,
Looking forward to you posting your new paintings....OH!.....Ciao Bruno, Ora so dove il talento proviene.
Saluti,
Steve
Thanks Dear Steve, I already knew that your talent is from your Mum :D

silvy
02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Hello Silvia,
Thank you! Very nice compliment...Time for a light and bright one next....Maybe?
Steve

Not necessarily....dark side is much artistic:cool:

stevemawmv
02-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Hello Andrea,
Great job on the new paintings, glad your back to your stylus and artrage.....
And yes, it's from Mom, Dad was a architect and I can't even draw a straight line!
I want to thank you again for your support, it's really been quite helpful with my
own progression with my painting.

Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Just experimenting with up close images.....
I need a bit more practice!

coops
02-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Words fail me, this is brilliant:)

Caesar
02-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Thank You, dear Steve! Finally a girl who wouldn't retract from a little kiss ... LOL:o;) I don't ask you for an After 9 version (since it wouldn't notice the difference alas). It's amazing!

SilverO
02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
ooh this is gorgeous

gxhpainter2
02-11-2014, 08:03 AM
WOW very impressive, excellent skin tones and hair.. and a very engaging composition

AndreaMG
02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Oh that gaze! ;)

copespeak
02-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Lovely face, beautiful mouth and eyes, and the hair is so real! Well done Steve!

justjean
02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Wonderful experimenting Steve :):):)

stevemawmv
02-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Thank you Coops, Caesar, SilverO, Gary, Andrea, Robyn and Jean....
Really appreciate all of you visiting and leaving such positive replies.
Take care, all of you!
Steve

Repost

stevemawmv
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Silvia.....

Not necessarily....dark side is much artistic:cool:

Thank you very much, I like the darkside paintings as well, but sometimes a little
light doesn't hurt....like the last submission, was just a experiment with being really close.
As for the dark paintings, I've got a few I'm working on, just trying to figure them out.
Take care,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
02-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Very nice. Less polished than your other recent stuff, but I don't think that's particularly detrimental in this case as it/she still looks wonderful and in vogue...

stevemawmv
02-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Hi James,
Yeah, it was a practice... which I need more of.
Like your 'Just a couple' painting.
Take care friend,
Steve

eighty+
02-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Corr just woke thought she was in bed with me Steve ;) ;) ;) well at my age U can still Dream can't One ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D SLAINTE

stevemawmv
02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Hi Eighty...
Yeah, she wanted me to tell you it was the best evening she had ever had!
She thought it was a dream too....
Thanks friend,
Steve

coops
02-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Wow I am speechless. Very well done:)

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Well thank you Coops,
Glad you like it, Eighty got a kick out of it as well...
I'm happy for that.
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
02-17-2014, 09:31 AM
She's scrumptious Steve!

pat1940
02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Steve, love your paintings, wish I could paint faces like that, such a joy to view

justjean
02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Beautiful blending on the lovely lady, Steve :):)

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Robyn....
Thank you, I love the kitty and Zara paintings....learning how to paint fur now because of you....
Also horses, bound to come up sooner or later from the my little rider... well she's twenty-seven,
but still Dads little one!

stevemawmv
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Pat....
Thank you, and I wish I could paint scenes as you do, great job on the Italian
landscapes.....
Take care,
Steve

D Akey
02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Getting away a little from the Noir look? Or just a beautiful face is a beautiful face in any dimension? I'm all for that. She looks gorgeous. I would perhaps recommend softening the strokes around and in the eyes, making them soft an moist perhaps. Right now it's a little er. . . eye catching? Anyway, it's great. Love the overall look. Some serious beauty here displayed.

Can't wait to see more. :D

stevemawmv
02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Jean....
Thanks for stopping in, glad you like her, you did a fantastic job with the 'Lady' painting, I've been working on a painting
of mom for months, think I'm sending her to you!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
D Akey....
Oh I 'am definitely going revisit the Darkside, this one was just an experiment to make me aware of my limitations,
which I have many of. Just started this little journey only eight months ago, having a hell of good time though, wish I had
started earlier...Oh well!
And I agree about the eyes, having a hard time finding my own eye in painting my subjects eyes....as can be seen in all
of my paintings. I'm happy you enjoyed the overall painting though, and looking forward to your continued support and comments.
Thank you friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Something I started in December, never went back to it until now...
This is why it looks like my earlier paintings.

Caesar
02-18-2014, 09:38 PM
He's an actor I've already seen, isn't he? ;) Your neat and rich style really fits portraits realistically, while it remains, nonetheless, somehow quite personal.

AndreaMG
02-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi Steve, so when I was working on Sarah you were in an imaginary desert ;) It's beautifully painted! Glad you dropped that nasty cigarette, by doing that the picture gains in solemnity still retaining the overall relaxed look. R.I.P. Peter

eighty+
02-19-2014, 10:26 AM
ho ho ho he look a right hard Nut, not one of your family, ( I hope Steve ) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D SLAINTE

justjean
02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't know who he is but you have done a great job painting him, Steve :)

pat1940
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Steve, your flesh tones are so beautiful, always love your work

copespeak
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
He looks so unusual, I like your style very much! :cool:

D Akey
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Peter O'Toole is he? Is that the Lawrence of Arabia reference about wandering the desert? This doesn't look dressed like that movie as I recall (been a while since I've seen it but don't know if he was ever a civilian in that story). Anyway, he looks great here as a portrait. Nice painting. Quite an actor.

And if I guessed wrong, it was because of Andrea throwing me off with is red herrings. :p:D:o:rolleyes::cool:

I still say Peter O'Toole.

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks Caesar,
Your comment is much appreaciated, and eventually I'll settle on one style. I've been back and forth, as you know,
Just trying to see what I feel comfortable with.
Thanks friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi Andrea,
I had a feeling you would know, you have that 'love of film' advantage going for you..Me too!
Just didn't feel right about giving it a title, felt I didn't do him justice.
Take care friend,
Steve

BTadlock
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Hey Steve,

Been looking through this thread and your paintings are brilliant. I do have one question/thought...
Are you intentionally leaving the edges of your subjects so crisp? They look pasted into the paintings.
If this is what you're intending then cool! Otherwise I might suggest fuzzing the edges to blend them into their
surroundings some more. I noticed that one of the pieces seemed to have this done but most don't. Anyway,
just a thought. Keep up the awesome work!

-Brett

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Eighty,
Oh yeah! After all, he was one of the hellraisers....
Thanks for visiting and
take care,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Not your best (The hairline is a little jarring, and the likeness not quite so exact as your other more recent work), but still very impressive - It's still clearly Mr O'Toole, and I am amazed by the lifelike tones in his face. I also like his expression; "I'm Peter O'Toole, what's your problem?" Lovely.

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Hello Jean,
Thank you! I'am happy you like it, should have finished it in December, may have turned out a bit better.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi Pat,
Thanks for visiting and leaving such a kind comment. I really think you did a great job on Goya's 'The Parasol'.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Hello Robyn,
it's my fault for not finishing it when I started it, wanted to keep it the way it was, had to stop
when I caught myself starting to blend away on it.
Glad you like!
Take care friend,
Steve

coops
02-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Another great painting, well come Steve:)

stevemawmv
02-20-2014, 03:37 PM
D Akey...
No "red herrings" being thrown by Andrea... But I knew you would have figured it out even without the tip!
Left it just the way I started it, kinda rough, short on blending and sketchy on the detail... and I like the way
it turned out....glad you did too!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Hey Brent,
Thanks for checking out the thread, and I'am happy to hear you like my work...
As for your question, I'am new at learning the concepts of digital painting in Artrage,
and i'am trying new techniques as I go. I just started painting about eight months ago,
and have only knock out what you see in my gallery. I have plenty more to learn and I
do appreciate any help given as I go.
Again, thanks for
your reply..
Steve

P.S. Enjoyed viewing your work in your gallery...
love the waves, keep them rolling!

stevemawmv
02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
James....
Well, I guess you could've said...Not your worst!
You know.... it is what it is!....
'You win some, you lose some'....But I am happy that you like the skintones and the overall painting in general,
and I do believe you liked it, and that's what counts!

Thanks James....
Take care friend,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
02-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh, I did like it very much. Not everything we do can be our best (as I know all too well). My apologies if that came out as a strong negative - it certainly wasn't meant to be.

vvioletx
02-22-2014, 04:15 AM
hi steve,
love your drawing so much! very realistic:o
hope to see more:D
violet

stevemawmv
02-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Hi Coops,
Thank you, glad you liked it, didn't do him justice though... but I enjoyed doing it!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Hello Violet,
Thank you visiting and leaving a appreciative comment.
Take care,
Steve

gxhpainter2
02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Steve you have a very interesting eye and talent, I quite like this , the beautiful smooth blending ( quite difficult to achieve takes lots of work ) but the slight edginess to the pose gives it a modern look...anyway I really appreciate your work.

stevemawmv
02-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks Gary,
I like compliments like this, like I've said in other replies...this is all new to me, half the time
not quite sure what the hell I 'am doing, but when I think it looks good... that means done to me and
I stop, and go on to the next one.
I' am happy that you and other members
are enjoying my attempts...
Take care friend,
Steve!

Caesar
02-23-2014, 11:18 PM
More and more perfect, I'd say, if it were not absurd that perfection may be improved ...

stevemawmv
02-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Dear Caesar,
Thank you very much my friend, you are always so very
kind with your comments.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Been working on this for too long, may finish it someday....
Second painting is a hidden painting, you've found it, one of two paintings, this one is 'Light'.
Third painting has full light as intended...
Thanks for looking....

AndreaMG
02-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Wait I remember this scene, is where she frees her hair and finally surrenders to him? Her face is unbelievable Dear Steve. Her arm is obviously unfinished, to speed up things you could add a lot of blur since it might easily be out of focus. Stunning :cool:

Caesar
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
You must have painted her epithelial cell by cell!:eek: It's astounding, terrific!:cool: The shock in front of such a mastery and accuracy is such that I should refrain from painting, for a while at least, and hang my brushes and palette to rest ... Bravissimo!

copespeak
02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
She's so beautiful Steve. This is your daughter isn't it? If so, how wonderful to have such an inspiring model.

coops
02-26-2014, 01:58 AM
Oh my thats so beautiful as is the lady. Love the whole painting, well done:)

stevemawmv
02-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Dear Andrea,
That's the one! I'am just pretending its a tight shot with a soft out of focus arm for now....
When I learn how to paint clothes, may get back to it.
Take care friend,
Steve

D Akey
02-26-2014, 08:14 AM
This is a moment when to my shock Caesar is complaining on too much time being spent painting glands. Maybe he saw this in the Work In Progress section before you applied the epidermis and cropped in so tight.

As a kid I was given a set of the World Book Encyclopedia. And other than when I would copy the articles verbatim for school reports (this was before you could download them from the internet), I recall my only fascination was the section printed on several layered pages printed on clear plastic where you could peel back the layers of the body the models were a male and female human. I even had one of those model kits that had the visible woman where you could pull out organs sort of like a jigsaw puzzle.

By the time I got serious about art, I no longer had the model nor the encyclopedia which I got rid of because the photos were generally uninspiring.

So I understand where he's coming from. . . unless you are going to be working for the Forensic department with the police to identify remains, it should be enough to render the skeleton, muscles and epidermis, and some key bits that show on the surface like hair and teeth and eyes. . . and maybe nails, um. . . cosmetics, tattoos, prosthetics if any. . . Oh, and occasionally minimal though strategically provocative clothes.

That should help simplify and is why Caesar is so fast. He just brushes aside inner organs and fascia and stuff as uninteresting. Rather odd for someone so knowledgeable.

I like this piece. Time well spent. I look forward to seeing the exploded diagram. . . I mean the work in progress as well. Go man go!

stevemawmv
02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi Caesar,
"Cell by cell"....Yeah, felt like it!
I'am happy you feel that it is good work, and enjoyed seeing it!
But there be no 'taken a break' for you my friend, I think we all look forward to
wonderful paintings, and your witty comments and replies....
So, keep them rolling!
Take care,
Steve

Oubaas
02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Having just arrived, I spend some time each day going through everyone's galleries, working my way back through past threads, and looking at the art. All I can say is, there sure is some talent present in this forum!

Steve, your work is just superb. Not only do I enjoy viewing it, but it's also quite inspiring for someone like me who is just starting out and trying to learn. I hope that one day my own work comes anywhere close to what you're doing.

HarlequiNQB
02-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Well. Well, well. Well, well, well.

I'm not sure what else to say, it's just... really, really pretty. An amazing work. (Usually I have a quote ready to go, but I think I'd just stammer it this time).

I think I need a lie down now :)

Caesar
02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
My serious enough new comment is that You started at very good level and You improved too fast and too much to be human. You're a supernatural, dear Steve, apart from a most amusing and witty friend. Congrats!

Alexandra
02-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Very pretty, Steve. Wonderful work!

SilverO
02-27-2014, 02:04 AM
It looks really good:)

justjean
02-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Steve both your daughter and your painting of her are beautiful :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marilyn Anne
02-27-2014, 03:49 AM
What lovely work!

D Akey
02-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Neat-o! Good stuff.

gxhpainter2
02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Steve I have to agree with Caesar, you are a supernatural phenomenon... a most creative and artistic painting... wow!... this would be awesome printing out to atleast a 30x40" print I hope you do.!

stevemawmv
02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi Robyn.....
Glad you like her, she was a bit of a pain... will get back to finish her someday.
Thank you,
Steve

Coops....
I must think so as well, she keeps popping up so much.... thank you for your nice complement
and I 'am happy you like the painting of her.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Hello D Akey,

Yeah, grew up looking at, studying then trying to draw aircraft from my dad's sectional cutaways that he'd bring home.
He started out as an aerospace engineer then later became a architect. He always wanted me to pursue a career in
one of the two, but I had other plans.....So I' am familiar with the fascination with the layered pages......Also had the
'the invisible man model', wanted the woman model, but mom wouldn't allow it....

As for my art, just seriously started about eight months ago.....I regret that I started so late in life, think my dad would
have been proud that I was doing something artistic with it. But now I really enjoy finishing a piece and showing it, then reading
the replies and comments, kinda gives me idea how I'am doing...
Sometimes I wish my paintings didn't take so long, but I just don't want to throw them out there if they don't look right
to me. There are some great artist here, and I appreaciate the paintings that they post, and I want to repay them with the
best that I currently can achieve.....love to do one a day....just not going to happen!

Well, this was way to long of a thank you....
So, Thank you!
Have always enjoyed and appreciated you replies....
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Oubaas....
Yeah, I spent hours checking out the galleries as well....it's a great place to see all the styles and techniques of the talented individuals who contribute they're work here. Still go once or twice a week for inspiration, and learn some new things!

Looks like your having a good time using Artrage, you've done a good job on your work posted....
Keep at it, your going to learn new stuff everyday!

Thanks for checking out the thread....
and your comments on my work.
Just wish I could get my kids to
like it!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
02-27-2014, 07:02 PM
James....
Didn't know what was going to give out first, the stylus or my vision on this one...may have spent way to much time on it, but I kinda like how it turned out. Still have the old one to finish...then may be time to 'Retire' her for a bit.
I'am glad you like it, means alot to me
Take care,
Steve

D Akey
02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
As for my art, just seriously started about eight months ago.....I regret that I started so late in life, think my dad would
have been proud that I was doing something artistic with it. But now I really enjoy finishing a piece and showing it, then reading
the replies and comments, kinda gives me idea how I'am doing...
Sometimes I wish my paintings didn't take so long, but I just don't want to throw them out there if they don't look right
to me.

Welp, on one hand that's quite an achievement doing what you've done in such a short time. On the other hand, shake loose of that because you need none of that woulda-coulda-shoulda because it will pin your suspenders to the back wall (speaking for myself now). Unless you're trying to make a living with it, it doesn't matter beyond the joy of doing because your artistic expression will continue to mold itself into who you are. And there's a perfection in that very process. And you're (speaking for you now) doing a bang up job already, no matter how many months you've been doing it.

Nice to think our parents would approve of what we've done/are doing. Good way to frame it. My dad thought I was from Planet X and flat out couldn't relate because Art didn't have anything to do with golf. And my mom kept biting back her frustration that she gave up on her own creative expression early on in life. The good news is for her she found it later, but was ever conflicted and I could tell in her tone any time she looked at anything I painted. So I fired them both and chased them out of my internal peanut gallery so much as I could do.

I took up the guitar late in life and I could kick myself for not having had the patience for music as a kid. It's rather absurd putting so much of myself into something that seems to be frittering away my time, but I can't help it. When I compare myself to accomplished musicians I merely frustrate myself -- because I can't stop. Good or bad, I cannot put the guitar down it seems. So I figure I'll just suck until I don't. But I'm getting better as it happens.

I think my weakness is that I admire everyone else too much. Thus I end up trying to play too many diverse songs/styles/techniques before getting good at one. Spread too thin I guess. But I can't help it. I hear a great piece and I have to try it. And I start learning it until I hear the next piece and I drop the old one and take up the new. . . and on and on it goes without getting really good at any one (to the level I hear in the pros). My soul's chasing the feeling, the music, not the song, sadly because I don't have a repertoire to get strokes from others. Oh well. I have to trust my path. Kids would have mastered the guitar by now three times over had they put in my time. So I've no excuse.

Anyway, it's great to find that spark again in ANYTHING at this stage of the game. Aren't you just elated that you found something that inspires you so much. And what is more, it's fresh to you. How great is that. Keep painting!

stevemawmv
02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Caesar....
Thank you again, I really appreaciate your comments, coming from you lets me know that I must be doing something right. Still learning though, it just takes me so long to finish anything!

Sandy....
Good to hear from you, like your latest paintings, glad you like mine.

SilverO....
Well thank you very much, you did a fantastic job on the 'Driving in the rain' painting.

Jean....
Thank you, I don't know if I told you, but your painting of the lady with the hat blew me away! I've been trying to finish mom's painting, but after seeing the lady, I'am sending my mom to you to sit!

Marilyn Anne.....
Love those two words and the three that follow...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Gary....
Thank you, now if I can persuade our dear friend Caesar to lend me his cape and borrow some of his talent, get a loan of endless creativity and unbelivable use of colors from you...I think I'd be in business!
Thank you friend, really appreciate it!

Yeah, I reposted it...
no page turning required.

stevemawmv
02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Dear friend D Akey,
I've been lugging around an old trunk full of woulda-coulda-shoulda's for years, sometimes I forget where I left it, but someone, something always reminds me where to look for it.
Thanks,
Steve

pat1940
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Steve, I am so impressed with your talent of painting portraits, they are so beautiful, I have so much trouble with those darn noses lol, do you mind if I download one of your ladies for practice, all in all, just love your work and a pleasure to view

Alexandra
03-03-2014, 02:22 AM
This character seems to grow more and more beautiful each time you paint her Steve. Well done.

jmac
03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I can only come up with one word here...Stunning. And I don't just mean the model. I love the contrast between the profile and the arm...I'm not sure why you think you should be painting these faster. I don't know how long it actually takes you or at what size these works are done, but you seem a very prolific painter to me. The number and quality of the paintings you show here is truly remarkable.

justjean
03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Steve your daughter and your painting of her is gorgeous but I love how you have painted that arm and covering :):):)

Caesar
03-03-2014, 10:40 PM
The girl progressively got so perfect that is now about to breathe and leave the canvas.
If I were much younger I would have sent You my cellphone number to put in her list of devoted friends ... LOL;):o

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Dear Pat,
Thank you very much, I' am always impressed with your paintings as well.
Take any lady you like....as long as it's one of my better attempts.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Thank you Sandy....
I really think she getting rather bored sitting for me, going to give her some time off soon!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi James,
Thank you very much, I 'am happy how this one turn out, glad you like it.
As for painting these faster, just curious to see what I can do under a time
limit.... did a little test this weekend, just didn't turn out the same.
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Jean,
The arm....called it a tight shot with blurred background... in reality, just can't paint
clothes yet..... working on it!
Glad you like her!
Steve

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Dear Caesar.....
I 'am very happy you like her, she was a hand full though.....kept moving her arm till
I decided to just make it blurry and give it a film term.
Phone number...she sitting right here, let me ask her.....
Take care dear friend,
Steve

Dear Friend....Hope you don't mind, just hiding these two here....

stevemawmv
03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Close-up number two...
Actually this was a practice for me to see what I could paint in a few hours, which
quickly turned into four and half hours. So much for the quicky painting!

Caesar
03-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Dear Steve, Your "quickie" is anyway very controlled and accurate (compared to my wild blasts at least) even if, with 4.5 hours it took, it may still be judged as a quickie with reference to the usual painting time of Yours and of the Ents (ref. Lord of the Rings). LOL;):o:D
I'm kidding. :) What You got in such a comparatively short time is absolutely impressive as well as still very close to photorealism, although with a more personal touch of Yours which makes it possibly even more tasty, just like with the Elvgreen pin-ups ...

coops
03-05-2014, 02:31 AM
Another wonderful painting Steve:)

gxhpainter2
03-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Steve, wow a great painting, I am particularly impressed with the teeth, they look moist and translucent..!...beautiful skin tones and great composition, like Caesar says very photorealistic yet has the definite imprint of your hand and artistic view. 4.5 hours is a quick painting for you... whereas 4.5 hours would be a long work for me.. every artist has their own working speed..:):):cool::cool:

stevemawmv
03-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks Caesar....
Yeah, not as polished as the others, just curious why I take so long doing one of these.
Just a test to see if I could knock out the basics....and have it looking half way decent.
I promise I'll not do it again....well, maybe one more!
Now the Ents and me are going to have a 200-meter dash contest, let you know next
month who the winner was, we should be done by then.
Thanks dear friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Hello dear Steve, it's pretty good for a 5 hrs painting, she looks like J. Connelly, however it looks a bit lifeless to me, maybe a more sparks in the eyes? The other thing is that it kinda looks like a mask and not a real face, the transitions must be smoother. Maybe the close up is too extreme and the realistic approach does require more details. Hey don't get it the wrong way, I admire your work and consider you a friend, but this one doesn't catch me (her teeth though are very well painted). Take care ;)

stevemawmv
03-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello Coops...
Thank you, just fooling around with speed and lighter tones.
Glad you liked it..
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi Gary....
I' am glad you like it and see it for the experiment it was, happy
Caesar and you can still see my style in the piece, just wanted to try something
new and quicker. Not going to win no speed painting contest though!
Now I can say 'been there, done that', back to my usual pace now!
Take care friend,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
03-06-2014, 04:02 AM
You do so well with features and skin tones. Very real and very pretty.

justjean
03-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Very nice , Steve

stevemawmv
03-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi Andrea,
It's an experiment .. a test.. and it was a good practise for me. The overall painting pretty much turned out the way I planned. Purposely chose pale colors...easier for me to control and blend under my own time restraits that I gave myself, and I wasn't to concerned with the details. Just wanted to paint one that would be familiar to people who enjoy movies....apparently it work, your guess is correct!
All of us from time to time experiment with new things, and even change painting styles...everyday I paint... I' am learning new things and that only increases my urge to start new paintings, daily if I could!
But I tell you this... no more models with bushy eyebrows and large teeth...even if they are 'Drop Dead beauties'!
Always appreciate your comments and advise,
keep them coming!
Take care dear friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello Marilyn,

You do so well with features and skin tones. Very real and very pretty.
Thank you very much, I' am happy you liked it.
Take care,
Steve

D Akey
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Nice one Steve. It's really very cool, although the eyebrows are a little solid and the structure around the eyes is not pushing and pulling the direction of the form quite accurately. But the overall is quite nice. I can see why you picked it.

If you're interested, I always found that pictures with more dramatically defined light and shadow showed the form off in such a way as to be easy to see the structure and this paint it.

Anyway, she looks like she wants to be kissed and that makes it a first rate picture in my book. Nothing lukewarm about it. Go man go!

stevemawmv
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Hello Jean....
A little experiment, glad you liked it.
Thanks!

D Akey....
Eyebrows....still trying to figure out how to paint them things! Thanks for the tip, looking for a subject with
a challenging shadow cast across the face....be a good practice!
I' am happy you like it!
Thanks!

Steve

screenpainter
03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
great thread. love the dynamic viewpoints in your portraits. are you on deviant art Steve?

stevemawmv
03-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Screenpainter....
Thanks for visiting my thread, you've got a pretty impressive gallery going on.....
'Hair down' really caught my eye, love the portraits...and all your paintings!
Again, Thanks!
Steve

screenpainter
03-09-2014, 02:18 AM
my pleasure to visit your thread. thanks for looking at my ar gallery also. Looks like I used to be pretty active around 2009 to 2012. :) I still dabble a bit with ArtRage now and then and have never stopped appreciating it or being amazed by the genius of the software.

pat1940
03-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Don't worry about the quick paintings Steve, the work you do is beautiful, if its 4hrs or 4 days

stevemawmv
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Screenpainter...
Start dabbling again, you do beautiful work.
Take care,
Steve

Dear Pat,
Thank you very much, love your 'Chinese Lady', beautifully done!
And your right, time doesn't matter.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Started out as a sketch, then started trying a comic style and ended up finishing it kinda in my style.
It's rough and unfinished, got tired doing it...looking for a new model!
It's not going to hang on a wall, not going to tweek it or come back to finish it.... It was just for fun!
Just a rainy Saturday afternoon picture..

justjean
03-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Well you have great results for your rainy sat. painting, she looks terrific

coops
03-10-2014, 12:56 AM
I really enjoy looking at your work. This is a beautiful painting:)

SilverO
03-10-2014, 01:08 AM
It looks really amazing,
I like the colour in the background really makes the girl stand out.

Caesar
03-10-2014, 03:20 AM
You know how to choose Your subjects, dear Steve ... and also how to paint them!

D Akey
03-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Are you kidding?!?!?!? This is brilliant! What a fantastic painting. Love the forms and the skin is beautiful and smooth and touchable. Expression is great. Love the look through the hair. I don't know what's not working for you, but this is fantastic. It's keyed light, but it's all there. Not a heck of a lot of Noir about her. Different flavor.

There are comic book and there are comic books. Some comics have (had?) the most phenomenal draughstmen doing them in a realistic style. And that style of drawing works up into tremendous paintings because all the information a proportionally accurate painter needs is right there where it should be. They work hand in glove as Batman used to say. And what is more, if you ever go into exaggerating or adding fantasy elements ala Frazetta, you will have the chops to pull it off convincingly. Boris, the later Frazetta clone, got more into photographically accurate female figures and made them work in those mythological contexts.

So if you are doing a Noir kind of theme, you can use your drawing chops as a baseline and add in the appropriate elements as you stage your painting (bangley jewelry, alter hair styles a little, light it dramatically, add pistols, black telephones, old cars, whatever).

What I'm getting at is that your style is just great to begin with. If you apply that to any genre, you'll be telling great stories in a single picture. So falling back onto your old ways doing what you did before is a good thing. . . if it's what you like doing that is.

I really like this one.

gxhpainter2
03-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Steve that is a pretty darn impressive "Saturday doodle" for sure. very sultry look love the hair texture against her smooth skin... hard to think you have been at this for such a short time... do you do regular life drawing? or just work from photograph's?

copespeak
03-10-2014, 09:15 AM
A very beautiful 'just a doodle'! :cool:

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Hello Jean....
Yeah, I like my rainy days....sometimes just sketch and see where it goes.
Glad you like it!
Take care friend.

Hello Coops....
Happy you enjoy seeing my work, fore I certainly enjoy viewing yours!
Take care friend.

Thank you both!

Said I wasn't going to do this, but something was just bugging me about
this pic..

D Akey
03-10-2014, 01:22 PM
You posted it again because she would look better on this page than the last?

There's always going to be something to see in our paintings as we look at them over time. And sometimes it's just a matter of something different rather than better, because our eye is always changing when we look. As an option: Sometimes it's just time to move on to the next painting to return later if interested when it becomes clear. There's a little danger in that because we may have grown way past where we were when we did the original and it's better to just start over because each step sets up the next rather than doing a retro-fit. And we might have gotten bored with it and it's dodgy picking up a brush when bored.

Is there a specific thing that you don't like? Not sure what level you're addressing as not working for you. Or is that the problem, you don't know but feel you should have a more vast checklist of things to go over? That comes with time and familiarity.

One possibility, seeing your previous stuff (in my mind's eye), that you didn't do in this one is that you didn't go photographic and you didn't put in the heavy darks/blacks. Your palette is not photographic and that might be your comfort zone. Photographs don't always have a good palette for a painter, by the way. And the thing is that those paintings are often identifiable because of the color and values where it's a clear copy from a photo.

That palette is great for a photo retoucher because you have to bridge problems in that context. But for a painter, you have far wider parameters available to you. Doesn't mean you need to stretch into those areas. Just that those paintings become more a process in which color and color relationships play a larger part as an expression of the artist.

Having gone the route of learning from photos, it's a very solid starting point from which you can deviate and express as it suits your whim.

I love her expression and it established a feeling of allure. Works for me.

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Hi D Akey,
I will generally always find reasons to regret posting an image
to soon when after doing so seeing something in it that I missed during
the painting of it. Sometimes I just correct it in an edit, or like
this one make a mention of it in a repost. The 'just bugging me'
thing I noticed was so insignificant compared to all the other
flaws and mistakes within the picture kinda stump me as well.
Showing that..obviously I can over look the general quality of the piece,
but heaven forbid if these eyes spots one thing that should have been
done right of corrected during process of the painting.

Would love to do dozens a day, haven't the talent or the time.
So when I do post one, I'am hoping that I haven't been deceived
by my own plan for the piece and completion of it. Sometimes I
have been...then it's on to the next one. I really enjoy doing these,
and what may enhance that experience is the showing others in
this forum my work...if you can call it that. So sub consequently I may
be trying to expand my gallery of work by the the occasional repost of
a picture...but I do like seeing the image on the page opened.

Thank you friend,
and take care...
Steve

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Thank you SilverO....
Yeah, played with a couple of backgrounds on this, one was grey.
Glad you like it!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Thank you Caesar,
I' am going to check out your gallery again, for inspiration...my children don't want anymore
paintings of them and haven't found a replacement for favorite model yet!
Take care friend,
Steve

D Akey
03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Seems obvious: Have new children. Means you've got roughly 9 months to get your chops up. The faster solution is to get a cat or dog or parrot or something that won't squawk so much.

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Well, going to skip on that first suggestion, and not going to
devote the time in learning how to paint fur and feathers.
So, I'll pick eyes, noses, mouths and other human features
that I like and create a new one to paint...sounds a little 'Frankensteiny'.
Huh!...No squawking, or another mouth to feed, that would be pleasant.
Seems harsh.. Sorry!
Take care,
Steve

AndreaMG
03-11-2014, 02:54 AM
She's beautiful Dear Steve, very delicate painting that balance her seductive pose ;) Kinda reminds me of Kate Winslet...

Alexandra
03-11-2014, 03:52 AM
Beautiful lady Steve, great work!

pat1940
03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Another stunning painting Steve, wow you do such beautiful portraits

stevemawmv
03-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Gary....
Glad you liked my "Saturday doodle", it was raining, nothing else to do!
For your question...I made two of my kids sit for a sketch of them, they won't do it anymore though.
Sometimes use 70mm frame shots and web ref's.
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Robyn...
Well, thank you very much..had fun doing it!
Can't wait for another rainy day....

Andrea...
Glad you like this one, she's a mix of two beautiful ladies.
Trying to simplify how I do these, just one at a time....It's fun!

Sandy....
Thank you, happy you like it, and thank you for visiting!
How's the house going and when will we see another doodle?

Pat...
Thank you for visiting and seeing another one of my ladies,
I really have to try something new though....need some tips
on doing a landscape, always wanted to try one.
Your 'Chinese Lady'...Again, 'Fantastic and absolutely beautiful!

D Akey...
Thank you for keeping it all real...your comments and replies are
always welcome... they help me, and occasionally remind me... to
keep myself in check, which requires constant monitoring at all times.
In other words, I appreciate them all and always look forward to
the next one!

Thank you all,
and take care...
Steve

stevemawmv
03-15-2014, 08:49 PM
This is part one of a larger painting I've been doing based on
three paintings of J. Romero...haven't sketched in the third image
yet.
Hope you don't mind a part at a time.

AndreaMG
03-15-2014, 09:17 PM
This one is fabulous Dear Steve, the way how the texture shows and the shadows and lights contribute to the illusion of a real painting. Her staring is very penetrating indeed. Can't wait to see the whole thing :D

Alexandra
03-16-2014, 03:23 AM
BEAUTIFUL, Steve!!!!

eighty+
03-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Go Man Go ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D KIA ORA

stevemawmv
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Dear Andrea..
Thank you, as you see I' am back to my lengthy paintings again.
This one may take sometime finishing, so I'll do others during the
process.
Take care friend,
Steve

Don't know if I like the long shot, upped
a close crop..

gxhpainter2
03-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Steve she is breathtaking, the beautiful skin tones and shadows and very intense gaze... really really nice I can't wait to see it completed... you will have a masterpiece on your hands for sure..

stevemawmv
03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank your Sandy.....Glad you like part one.

Thanks Eighty......Thank you for the encouragement.

stevemawmv
03-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Steve she is breathtaking, the beautiful skin tones and shadows and very intense gaze...
Thank you for thinking so Gary....Just working on it from time to time, starting to like it may devote a little more time to it.

Marilyn Anne
03-17-2014, 11:01 AM
What a nice portrait. Very striking!

copespeak
03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
There's something very unique about your style of colour and painting. Sort of dark and brooding with the rich colours, and a real stillness about them. Just wonderful. :cool:

D Akey
03-17-2014, 06:10 PM
When this opened I could hardly believe it. It's such a departure from your past style. And it ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Great pose, and with the placid, slightly enigmatic look, she seems pretty directly related to the Mona Lisa. I love the warm, soft effect. In this case it's not overtly apparent that it was blurred or where the mechanics of the painting process were distracting in any way, other than the "How did he suddenly do that?" I can't gush enough. This is GREAT. It's Masterful. Well, actually Old Masterful where they wanted to fool the eye and pull us right into the reality of what was in the image. It still feels like a painting, but the seamless kind.

Really good. Something this sumptuous is way beyond the painting of a family snapshot and try to make it work as best you can. This feels composed. I love the subtle transitions in the color of the background as well. Yeah, I think it's the subtlety that I most appreciate in this. Sort of Classical Greek storyline possibly, without knowing the story, like one of the Fates or something like that.

Go man Go!

stevemawmv
03-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Marilyn...
Thank you for your very kind comment, glad you like.

Robyn...
I'am happy you like it, two thirds to go! I keep coming
back to the moody ones!

Take care friends,
Steve

Caesar
03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
You're getting more academic and classical, dear Steve! Interesting new exploration and fantastic outcomes.

coops
03-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Words fail me with this one as said beofre its a masterpiece, great work Steve:)

pai
03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
hello Steve, another great portrait artist just right after I finished reading the thread of Andrea's one. Now, another eye opener to anther style of portrait artist here. Very delicated and detailed paintings you have. The rendering on skin tone is awesome. I love the emotions one of "Rach" on her side look, my favorite of all your best works. Thanks for sharing your work-in-process images too. :)

stevemawmv
03-18-2014, 06:25 PM
D Akey...
I'am glad you like the painting friend, It's taken a helluva long time to paint her.
And you know I'am not a... 'great paintings..one after another' sort of person
so it's nice to have a few that kinda shine. Again, I'am happy you enjoyed the pic!
Take care,
Steve

Eventually it will be three
J. Romero paintings in one..

mannafig
03-18-2014, 11:58 PM
stevemawmv this last painting is gorgeous.

stevemawmv
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Thank you Caesar... This is turning out to be a good practice for me... does kind of look classical?...Cool!
Take care friend,
Steve

Dear Katie.... Very happy you like the painting, going to give her some friends soon to cheer her up a bit.
Thank you and
take care,
Steve............'Thanks for my Gallery'

Hello Pai.... Very happy you visited my thread and enjoyed viewing my art, and by the way 'that's my favorite as well'.
Thank you.
Steve

justjean
03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Wow Steve that last lady is really wonderful :):):)

Alexandra
03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Stunning, Steve.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

stevemawmv
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks Amanda....Glad you liked it! I enjoyed viewing your work, good stuff, love the pinups!
'Rumpelstiltskin' blew me away....Fantastic!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi Jean....
Happy you like her, going to have to paint another guy painting soon.
All the ladies are looking way to serious for me!
Thank you friend!
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Thank you Dear Sandy... Glad you enjoyed the painting.
Take care friend,
Steve

HarlequiNQB
03-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Wow. I'm away for a few weeks, and look what you went and did.

Something amazing, that's what you did. Bravo :)

stevemawmv
03-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Thank you James,
Hope things are well.....glad you like her!
Thought it was time for another serious one....
Take care friend,
Steve

Really like the 'robots' James....'belated Birthday wish to your son!
Like the tall one, 'flower giver'...
Steve

pat1940
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Steve, she is beautiful as all your portraits, Steve what number do you use to blend the flesh, your talent for the face to look so lovely and the skin so smooth, I struggle with that and would love to hear how you accomplish that

pat1940
03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Steve, thank you so much for the info on the blending, can't wait to try it

stevemawmv
03-24-2014, 06:06 AM
No problem Pat, have fun experimenting with them.
Thanks for your kind words,
Steve

AndreaMG
03-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Me tired of waiting, me want the entire painting of Lady Chiquita, but since the characters played by H. Ford are often a little edgy over girls I guess I'll have to wait :D

pai
03-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Beautiful classical painting style. Love her gaze and the expression. Great one :)

D Akey
03-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Oh for crying out loud -- could you not at least finish the poor woman's breast? We can extrapolate the rest. I promise I'll buy a round of Dionysian Gargle Blasters. "PUT IT ON, BABY!!!! YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!" but I digress. . .

This so reminds me of an old episode of the Invisible Man (pre-code of course) where in order for him to be seen he had to cover himself in make-up. Here you're ahead. You got paint!

stevemawmv
03-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Dear Andrea.... Can't find her right now to finish the painting, But you know who I have in mind for the job!
Thanks friend,
Steve

Dear Pai.... I am very happy you like the last one, just can't finish it right now, but will someday. Needed a little
break, so I had a practice with the following painting....Had fun with it!
Take care friend,
Steve

Dear D Akey.....I' am working on one, actually its one of her companions! But last week watched another movie
for some inspiration .... Hope you like it?
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Sandy.....Saw and loved your Indy/Caesar painting... watched one of them and gave it a shot.
Steve

stevemawmv
03-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Just another practice.... taking a little break from painting the ladies. I did have fun with this one though!
Huh!....Maybe Junior here... can help me find the third Spanish lady?
Take care all....
Steve

silvy
03-26-2014, 11:28 PM
He's a very young Dr.Jones but very well done;)
Spanish lady is an awesome classic painting.
Very emotional the deep expression of her eyes

stevemawmv
03-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Hello Silvia...Made him as young as I could, as for the Spanish lady...Thank you very much...
Take care,
Steve

AndreaMG
03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Magnificent Dear Steve, I particularly like the strong brushwork on the hat and the shirt. Too bad that the beautiful background you painted is partially covered by the head. You also managed to perfectly capture His expression Dear Steve! Ciao

D Akey
03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I like the ruggedness of the shirt and hat and background. It's really nice painting and describes the Indiana Jones character -- slightly rough hewn. The likeness is getting there. Not bad.

Caesar
03-28-2014, 12:59 AM
A very nice revival, but Indiana Caesar looked better ... LOL:o

SilverO
03-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Looks awesome, I like how you painted the jacket and the hat:)

pat1940
03-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Great job Steve, love it

Alexandra
03-28-2014, 05:47 AM
A striking painting to be sure Steve, I love the rich browns. Great work!

pai
03-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Another awesome portrait painting, Steve. :) Maybe as Caesar suggested, your next one maybe
A very nice revival, but Indiana Caesar looked better ... LOL:o :p with Spanish lady.

justjean
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Wonderful painting and blending, Steve

stevemawmv
03-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Hello Andrea....It's weird, the two things I spent the least amount of time on are also my favorite parts of the painting as well.
As for that background it's from a book of D. Roberts Egyptian paintings....tried to work it in, didn't work... but I partially finished
it.

Maybe should've painted what could've been behind him...
I know.....'Should've, Could've'...

stevemawmv
03-28-2014, 07:00 PM
I like the ruggedness of the shirt and hat and background

Hello D Akey....It's looking like the hat and shirt are the clear winners here, and I like them too!
Thanks friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-28-2014, 07:10 PM
A very nice revival, but Indiana Caesar looked better ... LOL:o
Dear Caesar....yeah....you may be right friend.
Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Hi Eline.....Thank you, I know..the hat and shirt! Glad you liked it...
Take care friend,
Steve

coops
03-29-2014, 01:36 AM
More stunning work, well done once again:)

stevemawmv
03-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Hi Pat..... Glad you like Indy, I love your 'Still life' painting...Take care friend!

jibes
03-29-2014, 07:21 AM
Nice work, the BG is fine to me.

AndreaMG
03-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Hello Andrea....It's weird, the two things I spent the least amount of time on are also my favorite parts of the painting as well.
As for that background it's from a book of D. Roberts Egyptian paintings....tried to work it in, didn't work... but I partially finished
it.
I didn't know him! Such wonderful paintings. Your take is incredibly good even if half finished, you have the numbers to make impressive landscapes man :eek:. Did I mention that the hat and the shirt do look very good? X) Ciao

D Akey
03-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah, that landscape is pretty excellent. Well done on that one. Great colors. And the composition is also stellar. I did not know of this artist before. Thanks for the introduction as well.

stevemawmv
03-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Sandy....Thanks! Painting him is pretty easy sticking to a basic color palette...
Brown hat, pants, jacket.... and shoes..
Tan shirt and always digging in dirt!
Couldn't resist it....

Hello Pai....Thank you! This was a fun one to do, and Sandy already did 'Indy Caesar', but you never know!
And those Spanish ladies are going to kill me, turning out to be tough girls to paint....
But I'll get back to them soon!

Take care,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Thank you Jean, glad you like the painting....And thank you for your kind comments.
Take care friend...

Hi Katie, Thank you for all your support, you are very kind and I appreciate every visit.
Take care friend....

Andrea.... I just might try doing a complete landscape someday, thanks again!
Take care friend....

Hi Neal.... I really appreciate your visit and the comment.....I like your gallery, great stuff!
Take care friend....

stevemawmv
03-31-2014, 10:59 AM
D Akey....Between Roberts paintings and proberely watching the 'Mummy' movies with B.Fraser this weekend..'because It's raining here'..I've been thinking about doing a landscape painting or a another'raining day lady' painting, who knows? But, since a few friends here are trying new things... I may take on a change as well.
Take care friend,
Steve

gxhpainter2
03-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Steve... wonderful work that we expect from you..:):) I am envious of anyone who can consistently produce such high quality work, that is not easy and it takes more than just talent, it takes work and the wiliness to wipe out that part of a painting that is not working right.. hard to believe you have only been painting for a relatively short time. I would love to see a landscape, this Egyptian theme one is quite nice..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

stevemawmv
03-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Gary.....Thank you friend, I' am glad you still like my paintings, and happy you stop by and leave such kind comments on all the new ones.
Keep them coming.....He He!
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
03-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Since some have been trying new stuff, and I' am really enjoying the results of their efforts.
I decided to skip painting my usual models and try something different as well.
I painted four this weekend and the subject matter is kinda weird though.
Number four of four.

Caesar
03-31-2014, 09:14 PM
The light sculpting and letting this face emerge from darkness. A style very successful few centuries ago that You master pretty well, dear Steve.

coops
04-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Thats so good Steve, great painting with super brushwork:)

stevemawmv
04-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Dear Caesar... You are always trying new approaches to your art, thought I would too! Just didn't think I would be centuries late in my attempts....Oh well, better late then never!
Take care friend,
Steve

gxhpainter2
04-01-2014, 06:14 AM
steve, wow this is a bit off the beaten path for you, I do like the directness of the brush work and drama on the subject. I love your main style with it's smoothly finished skin tones, they are always stunning, but in this one I like to study the way you achieved the look of modeling the face, nose cheeks and chin with sure confident brush work it really lets one read what artists hand has to say. the subject is full of the psychological implications and meanings for the viewer to ponder... well done :cool::cool::cool:

pai
04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I like that you try different approach on this last painting with dramatic expression and very nice lighting contrast. :) Go ! go ! go !

stevemawmv
04-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Katie....
Thanks, glad you like my 'something new', thought I'd get out of my comfort zone for a bit.
Take care friend,
Steve

To all...This is the original painting.
Just didn't know how to present it.
Cropped or not?

SilverO
04-01-2014, 11:18 AM
What a dark painting, I like it.:p

Alexandra
04-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Great painting there too, Steve.
It reminds me of a Hitchcock thriller.

stevemawmv
04-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi gary....Sometimes that path gets a bit boring and I just have to wander off it occasionally!
I did four of these...same theme, and its a strange one at that! Was feeling kinda sad this weekend.
I am very happy you liked it, and I will follow my own advice and post them all....
Take care friend,
Steve

copespeak
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Real chiaroscuro. Well done Steve!

Caesar
04-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Dear Steve, with classical art You're never late, You will always find new ways and old lessons working, at least for the subgroup of artpieces (not performances) whose main driver and concept of art is quest for fantasy, poetry, harmony and beauty, something we cannot firmly define, but we can somehow perceive, conceive and recognize, both naturally and by experiences for sure, but mostly intuitively and unconsciously, even against any "intellectualism" ... in my modest opinion of course.

pat1940
04-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Steve, these are so dramatic and done so well, it is great when you venture out of your comfort zone and come up with something amazing like this, like it very much, great work

stevemawmv
04-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Pai...Thanks, Just thought it was time for a break from the my usual stuff.

Eline...Appears I can't get away from the dark mood...Happy you like it.

Sandy...Huh, Hitchcock!...that's something to think about. Thank you!

Robyn...Thank you, thought it was a bit much at first, kinda like it now!

Thank you all for your kind comments....
Steve

stevemawmv
04-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Dear Caesar, This painting was something I hadn't done before, And I fought off the urge to do my usual smooth blending, instead I just let the the brushes push the colors to where they wanted to be....leaving little hints of detail in the image. Wanted this to be a unique and different painting for my gallery, a one of a kind.. a bit strange, but still one of a kind....just wasn't meant to be. I appreciate your comments and friendship. Your writings have always been a helpful learning experirence for me, and I always love learning new things about art.
Take care friend,
Steve

scribbledsoul
04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
The dramatic lighting in your latest piece lifts it from something beautiful into something transcendent. Nicely done! I like both versions, but I think that the uncropped one gives more contrast with the face, making it stand out more. It looks like a better composition to me. Just my opinion. :)

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Eighty....
Sorry that I upset you with that reply, at the time of the posting of it I wasn't sure if you were joking and just giving me a hardtime about it or what, like you have with Chinapete and others from time to time in this forum...and even me with the "Go man Go, but he won't" reply to a fellow forum member. But now I understand that it was truly just what you've said it was...."Oil Brush Pratice" with your continued studies of other painting style from members of this forum to enhance your own paintings and sketches. I apologize for this misunderstanding....but I’ve got to admit...that is one scary ass painting you did! Good job taking it to the next level....
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Steve, these are so dramatic and done so well, it is great when you venture out of your comfort zone and come up with something amazing like this, like it very much, great work
Thank you dear Pat... Glad you like my trip outside the 'comfort zone', it did have its repercussions though. Hopefully I can sort them out...
Take care.....

The dramatic lighting in your latest piece lifts it from something beautiful into something transcendent. Nicely done! I like both versions, but I think that the uncropped one gives more contrast with the face, making it stand out more. It looks like a better composition to me. Just my opinion. :)
Thanks Scribbles....I agree, that's the one I will keep....Thank you for your opinion and thank you for your reply and comments!
Take care.....

Dear Steve, thank You for Your most kind words. I recovered some very old imaginary experiments of mine where, with all the uncertain skills I had and the wrong proportions due to lack of preparatory drawings, I explored the theme of figures emerging from darkness ... As You see we had the same curiosity, we followed more or less the same technique on this and You may be proud of Your outcome considering that my outcomes were evidently clumsy in comparison ....
And Thank you Caesar for sharing these early experiments of yours....
I find them fasintating in design, and the exucution of them are quite interesting in how you balanced the lightness and darkness of the figures. The last of these are remarkable and quite a joy to view. But I do have one question.......Why these paintings?
Take care.....

Thank you all again for your replies!

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Dear Caesar...
Why these paintings?....... I've enjoyed seeing them but I don't know what they have in common with a painting of a strange looking man?
I have no problems with nudity, just trying to figure it out as well?
My children and their children do visit this thread from time to time....

Steve

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Wow!.... Is this a good time to ask....'is this a good example of karma'?

I can already see one scenario playing out....I post a painting, then proceed to get upset for no appearant reason, then go on to upset a friend in here, which in turn.. upsets another friend in here.
Another friend posts his paintings here, in friendship, then another friend replies to that friends postings....and of course that friend feels that he must respond to that reply as well, and so on and so on!
Hey, I may even get somemore paintings dropped in here...who knows!

The funny thing is...the stupid painting that started all of this gets....As Chinapete would say...
'Buried under a mountain of words' and pictures? I know, bad quote...sorry Pete!
So in closing...I apologize to all that I should apologize to for starting this mess in the first place!
Oh, my original question.....'Yes, I think it is a good example'....So I'am a believer! Became one today!

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Ok!....How many more words to get this page to turn?

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok!.....Starting over!

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Sorry!
I'll be better tomorrow....

D Akey
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
OK. Legitimate request/observation that friends and kids you know visit your thread. I moved Caesar's pics to After Nine where they belong. I did it for me too. I agree about tolerance for nudity but that was just plain peculiar to post in your thread. Caesar may have had a comedic reason for it. We'll let him say. And if the Rage team pulls my privileges, so be it.

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Been one hell of a day!
You take care D Akey....
Steve

justjean
04-03-2014, 04:30 PM
WOW, I really like this Steve, the thick paint, the not so much blending , the expression on his face :D

Caesar
04-03-2014, 09:18 PM
I humbly beg Your pardon, dear Steve.
It was just because of the attempt i made to se how figures could emerge from darkness. The first one was a mythological quite weird re-interpretation where, apart from the naked figure, I recognize that the Minotaur kill may certainly show a displeasing form of violence, while the other two didn't show (and certainly didn't emphasize) that much. I'm really sorry anyway to have been somehow disappointing and hope You would forgive me.

stevemawmv
04-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Dear Jean.....
Thank you, I' am enjoying these experiments with 'Lay the paint down thick and leave it alone'.
Glad you like it, it is cutting my painting time down... but I am still slow.......
Take care friend,
Steve

SCP
04-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Great work Steve ! :cool:

stevemawmv
04-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Thank you dear Caesar....
I appreaciate your comments, encourgement and continued support. I should have phrased my question to you differently, It is I that owe you a apology kind Sir.
Take care friend.....
Steve

Hello Scott.....
Glad your back and looking forward to more of your creatures and other fun stuff....Thanks for the visit!
Take care......
Steve

Caesar
04-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Thank You, dear Steve! Don't worry at all. Among friends good faith is always assumed (for both of us I mean) and I felt since the start we were so. I just thought that I might have not considered a different sensibility I didn't take into due account, rather than misunderstanding Your words. That was more than enough for me to apologize, even not having had, sincerely, any intention to take any offence to You and anybody else. So lets shake hands and hug fella!

AndreaMG
04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm waiting for the beautiful ladies you paint so well to come back, these dudes are too freaking scary ;)

stevemawmv
04-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Dear Caesar......
You've been there with your kind comments from my very first posting....'Good or Bad'...you've been there!
Thanks, that was a good hug......Now can we get a group hug?

Dear Andrea.....
There are three more of those scary things to be posted. I painted them a couple of days after receiving bad
News.....Was going to finish the current lady in waiting, but decided to do this one this afternoon.....
She's bit rough around the edges and generally rough all the way around...But that's the way she staying.

Thank you both and take care....

stevemawmv
04-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Late afternoon practice......Rough around the edges.....
Ok!....now that I' am looking at this, may change the background some day!

AndreaMG
04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Beautifully done Dear Steve, almost mystical the way you rendered her gaze :cool: I've always liked her since Phenomena and Labyrinth , she starred in so many movies, a few blockbusters and a lot of minor films, in The Rocketeer and the funny Career Opportunities she's almost overwhelming, what a gorgeous lady and talented actress...

Caesar
04-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Jawdroppingly beautiful, both the actress ( I remind to have seen her somewhere) and Your painting!

silvy
04-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Really gorgeous your last two portraits.
I really like the material consistency of the first and the dark contrast. One question: is he Lee Majors?
Jennifer Connelly as well as being a talented actress is also very beautiful. Your picture captures very well both:)

pat1940
04-06-2014, 08:15 AM
WOW Steve another beautiful lady, her gaze is fantastic, great portrait, just love all your paintings

stevemawmv
04-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Andrea and Caesar......
Thank you both, been following her since 'The Rocketeer'...well, not literally...I mean her career that is!
Beautiful woman, and she is fun to paint!
Take care friends......

Couldn't leave those eyebrows alone, touched them up...

stevemawmv
04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Thank you Silvia and Pat....Glad you both like the painting, it was a joy to paint!
Take care both of you....
Steve

Silvia.. Not..Lee Majors, think...“The horror! The horror!”

SCP
04-07-2014, 09:31 AM
I finally got the chance to look all the way through your paintings,great work Steve !;)
I really like your tribute to Blade Runner's Rachael (Sean Young):cool::cool::cool:

coops
04-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Great painting well done again Steve:)

stevemawmv
04-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Scott....Thank you for checking out my paintings. 'BR' is one of my favorite movies
so from time to time...one appears!
Take care,
Steve

gxhpainter2
04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
wonderful work steve, I find it interesting that you chose a flat off green to play against the reddish skin tones, while her face is 3D and stage lit the background is solid and flat, this makes for an interesting tension. flat against modeled painting...:cool::cool::cool:

D Akey
04-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Ah yes. Dave Stevens who did the graphic novel(s?) used Bettie Page as an inspiration for the look from that era. Jennifer Connolly was a good choice I think because of her look fitting that era so well. And you have to love brunettes in graphic novels. Gives a great opportunity to pull out some variant of cerulean blue for the hair highlights. Always fascinated me as a kid whenever they used blue like that. Brill Cream was still around so greasy kid stuff was all the rage -- and reflecting the sky along the pattern of the hair.

You did a really nice job on her. . . that is to say, if that's the way to put it. . . yeah, I mean, you rendered her well. Now strap on that jet pack, I think I see a dirigible, and hello. . . there's a brunette pressed precariously against the rail!!!! Wooooohooooooo!!!!!! Go man go!!!!!!

justjean
04-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Great expression on the lovely lady's face, Steve :)

stevemawmv
04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Thank you very much Katie......I like your Rainy day painting!
Thanks for visiting and liking the painting....
Take care friend,
Steve

stevemawmv
04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks Gary, I tried about three other backgrounds on this painting, just couldn't figure it out. Glad you like
it and I am happy that you visited and left your kind comments.
Take care friend.....

stevemawmv
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Ah yes. Dave Stevens who did the graphic novel(s?) used Bettie Page as an inspiration for the look from that era. Jennifer Connolly was a good choice I think because of her look fitting that era so well. And you have to love brunettes in graphic novels. Gives a great opportunity to pull out some variant of cerulean blue for the hair highlights. Always fascinated me as a kid whenever they used blue like that. Brill Cream was still around so greasy kid stuff was all the rage -- and reflecting the sky along the pattern of the hair.

You did a really nice job on her. . . that is to say, if that's the way to put it. . . yeah, I mean, you rendered her well. Now strap on that jet pack, I think I see a dirigible, and hello. . . there's a brunette pressed precariously against the rail!!!! Wooooohooooooo!!!!!! Go man go!!!!!!
Thank you D Akey....Always enjoy your replies and comments!
I have a few more 'Jen' pic's to do then I promise to give her a break for awhile.
Thanks friend...

Great expression on the lovely lady's face, Steve :)
Thanks Jean....Don't really know what she is looking at, just couldn't resist the urge to paint her!
Thank you...

mannafig
04-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Lovely lady nicely done.

vandra
04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
All Fantastic! I agree with all previous comments.

Jonquil
04-10-2014, 11:05 PM
I have loved Jennifer since I saw her as a 16 yr old in Labrynth with David Bowie. Wonderful likeness and super way of painting her Steve. You do her such justice. :)

Alexandra
04-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Wonderful job, Steve, on a fine actress!

stevemawmv
04-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Hello Amanda....Hope your feeling better, thanks for visiting and I am happy you like the painting.

Hi Vandra...Thank you very much, I enjoyed my visit to your gallery as well.

Jonquil....You and me both friend, have a few more in the works...thank you for your kind comments.

Dear Sandy...thank you for your continued support and comments.

Last look at current #2......
Almost finished with new one, rough preview below.

SilverO
04-12-2014, 12:09 AM
I like that preview. Looking forward to the finished painting:)