PDA

View Full Version : AndreaMG's Gallery ✟ Joan of Arc ✟

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AndreaMG
10-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Opening my thread/gallery with the gift from the lovely Lady Katie/Coops. Thank you ^^

Hi Everyone. This is my first work with ArtRage (previously I used procreate+ipad). It's done with intuos pro m in 8 hours (no tracing). I had some trouble with her hair so I went to the stylized route :p
EDIT: I was not happy with my first painting so I heavily modified it, first of all I cheated using the transformation tools to get more correct proportions :p, then I used a lot of frost knife and airbrush tools on her face to achieve maximum realism and finally I redid entirely her hair... Hope you like it :D

Click on the picture for larger view

D Akey
10-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Beautiful women's heads are very difficult until one has the knack, and you did a very nice job on her indeed. You even made her moist and sparkly upping the 'glam' quotient.

Really very fashionably attractive.

As to hair, I would think in terms of planes and shapes. It helps to give it form plus it's easier to get a handle on what is happening with it -- rules of lighting and so on still apply. And you can then subdivide strategically.

Anyway, this one's a pip! Great job on a beautiful actress.

AndreaMG
10-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Great job on a beautiful actress.
Thanks for the tips! Avril is so beautiful, I'm glad you think I made her justice:)

SilverO
10-16-2013, 08:05 AM
ooh Avril Lavigne, It looks very nice.
I like how you painted the metal:)

Caesar
10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Not the Statue of Liberty I guess, although there's some likeness in the crown ... LOL:o Fantastic portrait and I apologize for not being too familiar with some cute actresses You and SilverO took as a reference herein. Welcome and congratulations.

stevemawmv
10-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Very nice indeed!!!
Obviously it was a smooth transition into Artrage, and this proves it! This is very good and full of life and I'm
Looking forward to your next one.

Steve

AndreaMG
10-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks SilverO, metal is soo easy to reproduce. Caesar Thanks for the compliments :o You're right it resembles the statue of liberty! Thanks for the nice comments stevemawmv. Between I don't have anything against traicing but all my work is done only by looking from reference images, I wish I was able to paint with no reference at all using only my imagination... That said I think that "copying" something (without tracing) brings something of your style into the picture. This is only the beginning I HAVE GREAT PLANS :cool: I just ordered a 27 samsung monitor for my primary display and then I will get a 22 touch screen as a secondary monitor only for the reference image and the pods in order to be able to concentrate more on the actual drawing. Stay tuned for my next works!

D Akey
10-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Working out of your head is good too, but knowing how to creatively work with reference is a neat trick.

First you learn how to make things look real (which then frees you up to later make unreal things look real as well because you're learning how light and color and texture work).

Then it's also hard to paint things without reference, at least if you're painting realistically. And even if you are putting a lot of things together that weren't together in the real world, you can still apply it all to a style or technique and translate it into a consistent finish. (example, if you key everything to blue and green. You still would know how to make it read properly.)

I understand what you mean though that you don't want to just reproduce photographs as they appear in the photo. But remember that using reference is still legitimate, even as merely a starting point from which you can deviate.

Nothing is wasted. :):):)

AndreaMG
10-18-2013, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the tips Dakey! Little by little learning from real life I will find my way:)

SCP
10-18-2013, 08:25 AM
D Akey has some great tips and I agree,with her hair I think larger clumps and less strands of hair(detail).Awesome work on her likeness and I dig her crown lol :cool::D
Creating from the mind can be the hardest thing of all,and takes lots of practice.Keep up the good work!;)

AndreaMG
10-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks SCP for the input and nice comments! I'm not happy with her hair, next portrait I will try a different approach.:p

justjean
10-19-2013, 01:50 AM
She looks great :)

AndreaMG
10-19-2013, 02:54 AM
Thanks justjean :) Your portraits are great too!

AndreaMG
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi Everyone. During the weekend I did this (it's Emilie De Ravin on a Porshe); It took about 14 hours. It's done watching a reference image (no tracing) with colors picked mostly from the reference pic for increased realism. EDIT: I polished the painting a bit. Hope you like it ;)
Click on the image to see larger picture.

stevemawmv
10-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Love the Speedster!....... Okaaay!, She's nice too!
Alright!, She is stunning!!! Absolutely love your painting!

Steve

Caesar
10-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Actually I'm more familiar with Porsche cars than with Emilie De Ravin, so, at first, I rather saw a Porsche under a beautiful driver. LOL;):o
You really made an amazing work on both and got an extraordinary outcome.

D Akey
10-21-2013, 11:12 PM
I loved her in the TV show called Lost. . . at least until her character got mean.

So is she in a new show? Would like to see her in something again.

Your painting is luscious. The craftsmanship is very sensual and crisp. Reminds me of the kind of polished settings I would have expected to have seen Grace Kelly or some of the other Hitchcock leading ladies in. You made her so elegant and really got her likeness. Nice likeness of the car as well. They fit together so perfectly. Great job.

AndreaMG
10-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks stevemawmv, the speedster is my favourite car! Thanks so much for the compliments dear Ceasar!! Thanks dear D Akay, you'ro too kind. I discovered her in the movie "Remember Me", if you haven't watched it please do (you too Ceasar), in my opinion is so well crafted (do not read any review first, it will ruin it). Right now I'm watching for the first time "Lost" and I'm at the beginning at the second season and I love her character (PLEASE NO SPOILERS :)) Actually I tihink she still is in the TV business. You're right she looks like the fabulous Grace Kelly.

SilverO
10-22-2013, 06:59 AM
This is really well done :)

D Akey
10-22-2013, 09:21 AM
. . .Thanks dear D Akay, you'ro too kind. I discovered her in the movie "Remember Me", if you haven't watched it please do (you too Ceasar), in my opinion is so well crafted (do not read any review first, it will ruin it). Right now I'm watching for the first time "Lost" and I'm at the beginning at the second season and I love her character (PLEASE NO SPOILERS :)) Actually I tihink she still is in the TV business. You're right she looks like the fabulous Grace Kelly.

It never dawned on me that someone hasn't seen Lost. I'm glad you said 'no spoilers'. There shall be none from me. Enjoy it. It's a super intriguing series and I had never seen anything on TV like it. I still have several seasons of it sitting on my shelf in DVD waiting for the time when I have forgotten the story and can return fresh into that space as a viewer that they were so good at taking me to.

Keep painting! It's awesome. And if you get so inspired by TV and movies that you paint like this, watch LOTS (in addition to LOST) of TV. (Who the heck says 'Watch MORE TV'?. . . )

Caesar
10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Now I see, but I don't remember her clearly in Lost (what was her role/ part?).
I saw this series few years ago, but I stopped little after the second series because I (and my family in this rare case of TV concurrence) started to find it changing from continuously enthralling and intriguing to more and more boring (sorry dear D Akey for agreeing with You only partially here:() because stories and mysteries were piling up more quickly than solving, with many flashbacks, flashforwards, flashasides and flashindream. I had the impression that the actors and the events were becoming somehow more and more "pulled and tired", the characters more and more "manieristic", "picturesque", "statuary", less universal and with just a flavour of real international and cultural variety.

AndreaMG
10-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Keep painting! It's awesome. Thanks :) Next painting I will try a different approach: more brush and less knife, more loose, less polished, stay tuned! Caesar her role is that of a mum of a newly born child, but then she will became evil (thanks Akey:rolleyes:;))

AndreaMG
10-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Everyone! Lindsay Lohan in court :p (14 hours + 8 for polishing:p, no tracing).
Click to see larger.

stevemawmv
10-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Nice Lindsay!
I like the "more brush and less knife, more loose, less polished" direction on this one!
Do miss the Freckles though,
Again nicely done!
Steve

AndreaMG
10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Nice Lindsay!
Do miss the Freckles though,
Again nicely done!
Steve
Thanks dear stevemawmv!
Sorry for the missing Freckles:p; wait for the next painting of Lindsay <8coming in 2 weeks or so ... (I wish I had more tome to paint): I'm planning to do a super hyper mega detailed face! ;)

stevemawmv
10-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Don't be sorry for anything, I like your painting of Lindsay!, in fact, yours has a more convincing look on her face then the photo! It wasn't a challenge, sorry if it sounded that way.

Always look forward to all your new paintings!,

Steve

AndreaMG
10-28-2013, 10:47 AM
It wasn't a challenge, sorry if it sounded that way.

Always look forward to all your new paintings!,

Steve Hey don't worry! To me it sounded like a nice comment ;) I like the overall expression of my painting, You're right I think it's more intense than the one on the photo (poor Lindsay:)). Thanks again for the compliments! Next painting will be AMAZING:cool:

D Akey
10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Right. . . very nice in a non-freckly way. I didn't think to ask if she had freckles in the first place.
But I can see them in the photo. But I wouldn't have missed them had I not seen the photo. Gives her more of a girl-next-door kind of causal appearance. Certainly the expression speaks volumes.

Say, I really think your depiction of hair got much better. I like your thinking how to divide it up as you've done it. Brava! Way to go! Nice work free-handing the likeness.

AndreaMG
10-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Say, I really think your depiction of hair got much better. I like your thinking how to divide it up as you've done it. Brava! Way to go! Nice work free-handing the likeness.
Thanks dear D Akey! Actually I noticed she resembles a lot to Hilary Duff in my painting, wait... Hilary Duff in court? No way!:D As for the hair I tried to use a brush with maxed out stifness and a bit of thinners, the rest is merit of the program (I'm still learning how it behaves depending on the settings). So far I like Artrage because the various tools blend so well together, the result is very natural and does not look digital at all, I think it is the closest thing to the real thing right now. I wish though it could be possible to show the png file at native resolution becuse jpeg compression and resizing heavely degrade the painting.

AndreaMG
11-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Hi Everyone!
I updated my first painting (go to first post to take a look at it: no tracing but this time I used transform tools):o

D Akey
11-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Wow! I had to look up Avril to see what she looks like, online and to see her standing beside (her boyfriend/husband/some guy?), she is tiny. The spikes could keep people from patting her on the top of her head.

I like the new hair. It takes on a festive flair almost like streamers on New Years.

I know nothing about this star, but with the spiked dog collar on her head like the Statue of Liberty, she actually could be of a Statue of Libertine. Unfair play on words I know, since she may be sensible and down to earth and conservative and into welcoming the tired and huddled masses. . . but hey, it's her statement with the head dress, hahaha. Anyway, I like the hair a lot more. With her eyes and smile as you have painted them, it spins it to a feeling of extreme joie de vivre. And it certainly makes for an exciting portrait.

AndreaMG
11-17-2013, 05:38 AM
hahaha:D Thanks dear D Akey!! You are so good with words, are you a professor or something? Avril is tiny but her attitude is tall ;) Thanks again!

stevemawmv
11-17-2013, 07:51 AM
AndreaMG,

"Did you do something with your hair?"
HA HA!
Really enhances one's recognition of your subject...Great job! 'Love what you did with the adjustments on Avril !
'Crisp and smoother!
Take care,
Steve

Thanks for visiting the Boys, I answered your questions...

AndreaMG
11-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks Steve, tomorrow I will polish the second painting:)

D Akey
11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
hahaha:D Thanks dear D Akey!! You are so good with words, are you a professor or something? Avril is tiny but her attitude is tall ;) Thanks again!

Professor, alas no. Would have been fun I think. I really enjoyed teaching life drawing when I did that though. The class was over a fun bar and the last day of class I took the whole class downstairs and bought them pitchers of beer until the little money I made teaching the class was exhausted. Nowadays I would be afraid of liability getting them all plastered. But I loved it.

AndreaMG
11-18-2013, 12:49 AM
The class was over a fun bar and the last day of class I took the whole class downstairs and bought them pitchers of beer until the little money I made teaching the class was exhausted.Ha ha, must have been fun:D Looking forward to your precious suggestions for my future paintings! Thanks for stopping by.

AndreaMG
11-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi Everyone, I polished a bit my second painting (mainly her face). Hope you like it (go to page #2;)).

D Akey
11-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi Everyone, I polished a bit my second painting (mainly her face). Hope you like it (go to page #2;)).

Yeah, it looks so good now something else jumps out -- check the ellipse side view mirror. . . I mean since you're going for perfection. Everything else is really great. Once you take us past the point where technique and mechanics are in evidence, as with really tight paintings, you then suspend disbelief that it's actually right there happening and that we're looking at anything other than the subject of your painting. And so we respond to the scene.

She looks like she's poised waiting for a verbal gambit to start the scene. Phew! Gorgeous and on a posh face/character like that you have to have everything in place and perfect.

stevemawmv
11-18-2013, 07:46 AM
AndreaMG,
Beautiful!, stunning!, and popping with a natual touch of the 'endless senerio possibilities!......'Emilie!....one more photo please?
She hears the faint request...slows the car...and turns slowly with a smile....SNAP..SNAPSNAP..SNAPSNAPSNAP!!!
'That's my imagenation kicking in without the reference photo!
Yeah!, I know...bit much!
Like your paintings better without the reference pictures, 'With'...'at least to me..the impact is diminished and I'm required to comment on how close your painting resembles the original... I enjoy them on their own!, delivered with your own natural ability and artistict style!
Not!.. a criticism, just my personal opinion!
Love all your work,
Keep them coming!
Steve

AndreaMG
11-18-2013, 09:23 AM
She looks like she's poised waiting for a verbal gambit to start the scene. Phew! Gorgeous and on a posh face/character like that you have to have everything in place and perfect.
Thanks Dear Akey, you are right she looks like she is openly posing... She is adorable, isn't she? The mirror and the shadow are in the right place, I doubled checked the original and pictures of the speedster online, from the painting the mirror looks close to the body, it is the perspective that gives that impression, in reality it is detached by quite a long bracket which is shown as a shadow over the car body. Damn what a sexy car. Next I will polish Lindsay and then I will reproduce one of the canvas made by my favorite painter (J. W. Whaterhouse... don't be afraid master, I will make it right :)). Thanks again for the compliments!!

AndreaMG
11-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Like your paintings better without the reference pictures, 'With'...'at least to me..the impact is diminished and I'm required to comment on how close your painting resembles the original Steve Thanks Dear Steve, I decided to took the reference pictures away because they were distracting and furthermore they usually win the eyes, that's not so true though when you begin to abstract things but doing that you are painting a vision and not something real... I'm glad you liked it! After the boys now I'm waiting for the girls! Cheers take care ;)

D Akey
11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dear Akey, you are right she looks like she is openly posing... She is adorable, isn't she? The mirror and the shadow are in the right place, I doubled checked the original and pictures of the speedster online, from the painting the mirror looks close to the body, it is the perspective that gives that impression.
In reality it is detached by quite a long bracket which is shown as shadow over the car body. Damn what a sexy car. Next I will polish Lindsay and then I will reproduce a canvas from my favorite painter (J. W. Whaterhouse, don't be afraid master, I will make it right :). Thanks again for the compliments!!

What a masterful and painter of romantic subjects indeed was Waterhouse. He may be tough to please though -- his models look spent or in armor, both of which suggest you would do well to please him. :-)

Right. About the side view mirror. I looked it up too and it isn't elliptical, like a circle in perspective. It's sexier and designed like a stylish pair of 1950s glasses lenses. Interesting detail. There is a subtle difference between yours and the photo, the same as would be noticed in doing a glamor shot where the woman is wearing sunglasses. They can be interesting shapes and it's important to nail.

Well you keep up with all this perfecting your art and you'll be having the crowds go wild for your stuff and singing your praises.

jibes
11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Some nice paintings here!

AndreaMG
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Well you keep up with all this perfecting your art and you'll be having the crowds go wild for your stuff and singing your praises. Haha Thanks Dear D Akey, being famous and all I might have more chances to meet Avril and Emilie :D.

I triple checked the mirror... you are right, they are slightly different, I will correct it :p

Regarding Master Whaterhouse he was undoubtedly a very precise painter, he was so precise that his mythological or historical characters were brought to life thanks to his flawless technique. Man he was good! Most of his paintings appear even today so modern (at least to me), and he was also able to paint stunning things with few brushstrokes (as in "the flower picker"). I might be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that after having almost finished a painting (and he used to paint on massive canvas) he was not happy with the results of the hands and discarded the whole thing... So I agree with you, I think he must have been hard to be pleased, but I will be respectful, I promise!!!

AndreaMG
11-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Some nice paintings here! Thank you Jibes! I looked at your gallery, very good and distinctive works. Thanks for stopping by!

D Akey
11-20-2013, 06:44 AM
I admire a painter who paints a beautiful girl in a blue dress leaning over the fence and picking a flower. . . and then paints the same pic again close up and naked. My kind of painter! He clearly was ahead of his time -- anticipating the day of the internet LOL. The heck with all those tense "dis-topias" like 1984.

Anyway, say howdy to Avril and Emilie. And for what it's worth, I was in a gallery in Beverly Hills one time too long ago to remember. But there was an artist named Aldo Luongo, who had a super quick, doctor's office style who made a gazillion bucks having done posters of a kiss (I think I spelled his name right) who was having a one man show. He was a handsome lad with tight jeans and good hair -- appearing very Beverly Hills of the time. And on the wall was a portrait he had done of Dionne Warwick. And in she comes to the gallery and wonder of wonders, she bought it and was very pleased and flattered. Either that or she liked the painting or was adding to her personal scrapbook.

I also had a friend from high school who loved rock stars and really was nuts for the Rolling Stones, again back in the stone age. And he went over to England with a camera and photographed them, and ended up selling them shots of themselves that he took. (I don't think Paparazzi had gotten so ugly at that point). And he got to hang out for a time with The Stones and Rod Stewart -- don't know how much, but he got noticed in a good way.

Anyway the point is that stars like images of themselves. And they usually have money to burn so tossing some to a flattering artist is not out of the question, especially when it's beyond the level of unskilled, though devoted fan art. I mean if it's a thing of beauty and very flattering, I think you could in fact catch the eye of the likes of Emilie and Avril -- depending on context and your approach and all that.

Just a 'For What It's Worth'. . .

Haha Thanks Dear D Akey, being famous and all I might have more chances to meet Avril and Emilie :D.

I triple checked the mirror... you are right, they are slightly different, I will correct it :p

Regarding Master Whaterhouse he was undoubtedly a very precise painter, he was so precise that his mythological or historical characters were brought to life thanks to his flawless technique. Man he was good! Most of his paintings appear even today so modern (at least to me), and he was also able to paint stunning things with few brushstrokes (as in "the flower picker"). I might be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that after having almost finished a painting (and he used to paint on massive canvas) he was not happy with the results of the hands and discarded the whole thing... So I agree with you, I think he must have been hard to be pleased, but I will be respectful, I promise!!!

Niloc
11-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I really love the mouth area it's so realistic

chinapete
11-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Admire your ability to bring to life a person in a portrait ... I like Uma Thurman (hint :)) ... Especially the car scene at the end of Kill Bill 2 :) and Goodnight Moon ...

ps: ArtRage has great tools for your style, did you give up on Procreate because you wanted to work on a surface larger than an iPad? ...

coops
11-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Amazing painting, well done:)

AndreaMG
11-22-2013, 02:35 AM
D Akey thanks for sharing your stories, always a pleasure to read your posts :), ultimately I think it's in the human nature to adore/worship someone unreachable, I mean we are humans, they are Gods, and humans, since ancient times, used to portrait gods :)

Thanks Niloc and Coops for your nice comments!!!! Stay tuned the best is yet to come:cool:

Thanks Chinapete for the kind words even though I think we are at the opposite of the spectrum regarding the painting approach;).
Regarding Procreate I think it's a very well done program and some people were able to produce AMAZING stuff with it (take a look at "chaseroflight" works), but I struggled with it because I don't paint with airbrushes and using the brush tools there's no real blending; the program is damn fast but mainly uses the GPU, which is not capable of doing complex calculations like the impasto effect in Artrage, so if you want to achieve something that doesn't look like a Photoshop drawing, but that still retains a realistic look to it you have to use a lot of transparent layers which is a pain (at least it was for me). I personally find Artrage of another league, it not perfect but it really doesn't limit me in any way. The second factor is obviously the possibility to draw on a larger scale for a much more accurate work.

chinapete
11-22-2013, 04:10 AM
... ... ... :)

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Everyone,
I didn't have the guts to go with Waterhouse :p, so instead I went with my second best painter, John William Godward. This is one of his minor works . I'm pretty happy with the results (I like the trance/ecstasy expression), however I don't think I will ever again reproduce another painting, It's just coping, and was not so fun... Anyway here we go (14 hours, no tracing):

Click on the picture to watch it larger ;)

chinapete
11-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi Andrea, it's easy to see how much hard work has gone into the arrangement of color and line and mood ... The palette is very rich, it takes a while to realize it's been painted digitally ... Whatever the original may have looked like, this painting stands for itself ... and makes me think of scenes from one of my favorite novelists, Gabriele d'Annunzio, "L'Innocente" ... :)

copespeak
11-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Spectacular work! :)

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 09:11 AM
it takes a while to realize it's been painted digitally ... Thanks Chinapete, to me (and Artrage guys I guess) it's the greatest compliment!! I'm italian but I don't know d'Annunzio works, but I'm glad that Godward's character triggered the connection. Between, one of my favorite writers is Italo Calvino, give it a tray if you have the chance. Thanks again!;)

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Spectacular work! :)
Thanks Dear Copespeak! Take a look at Godward's work, he is the one that deserves it!

stevemawmv
11-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Dear AndreaMG,

'Reverie'.. Always gave me a sense of seeing the girl..mere seconds before drifting off into a deep
sleep ..forcing one... not dare to interupt the inevitable.

With your painting.. I instantly feel and sense more of a sultry, seductive and certainly more
inviting allure.. forcing one to stuggle with ones urge to engage her.

Not 'merely a reproduction on your part!..To me you've made it your own ..As if you imaged her having a more mature..more inviting and certainly more temping sister..'This 'Sister'.. isn't going asleep anytime soon!
I'm sure John Godward would be pleased!

Quickly now!..
Change your phone number, Email and home address!
Before the Web Art Reproduction sites try to enlist you!...Once seeing your considerably talents..
Wait!.. Your OK!.. They will joyfully boot you from their ranks..once they see your putting your own
imaginative spin and creative touches on all the projects presented too you!

Beautifuly done!
In your own creative style,
Steve

AndreaMG
11-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Dear AndreaMG,
Quickly now!..
Change your phone number, Email and home address!
Before the Web Art Reproduction sites try to enlist you!... Ha ha Thanks Steve, now I'm in BIG trouble! But I prmomised (for now:rolleyes:) no more copies of paintings! Thanks but all the merits go to Master Godward.

stevemawmv
11-25-2013, 11:21 AM
"Thanks but all the merits go to Master Godward"

*But you have certainly added a bit more life to your painting in homage to him!...
With that being said... is what compelled me to let you know what I saw in your tribute to him.

'You picked the funny line to quote!....But!..'There were so many others!
Ha ha!

Take Care,
Steve

Caesar
11-25-2013, 11:32 PM
It looks like You became a Pre-raphaelite or so now ...:) You did a great job here!

AndreaMG
11-27-2013, 01:52 AM
It looks like You became a Pre-raphaelite or so now ...:) You did a great job here!Thanks Dear Ceasar, I guess I am a post-pre-raphaelite ^_^ congrats 4 the after 9 o'clock version!

coops
11-27-2013, 01:56 AM
You should be happy with the final result, its fantastic:)

AndreaMG
11-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks Dear Coops!! I'm pretty happy with it, but I felt the making process was not so fun because the interpretation, the brush strokes were already there... however maybe in the future I will try something a bit more challenging and I will try to make it a bit mine.

Caesar
11-27-2013, 02:57 AM
As for the Aft 9, You're welcome! I hope it met Your wish and expectations, dear mate!

D Akey
11-27-2013, 05:39 AM
It's fantastic. If you're not going to copy another work, it means to me you're ready to move forward, and certainly not because you can't pull these off. Wonderful stuff and you clearly have an extremely good handle on form and color and you have an excellent understanding of how the old artists did what they did. Can't wait to see what you're going to come up with on your own. I can only imagine when you get into posing your own models where that will take you.

You can still refer back to all the old painters for ideas and inspiration certainly. But I think even the old masters can be brought into contemporary times, while still having all the flavor that existed back in those paintings. I really loved that period and unfortunately, I must confess that I would have preferred to live back then because of all the costumes and beautiful hair styles, and goddesses of mythology and all that romance and rich style.

But with you having an affinity for that kind of thing, I am sure your decision will bring wonderful paintings into the world. And on top of that, I should think it will be all the more fulfilling an experience for you.

This pose you painted, while as you call it 'minor', I don't see it that way. I mean it's not epic in subject, but to be able to paint the head as you have done with all the beautiful finesse, it's far from minor, because what it took for you to make this painting can be applied in other contexts with major results. Brava!

Go go go!!!!

Hi Everyone,
I didn't have the guts to go with Waterhouse :p, so instead I went with my second best painter, John William Godward. This is one of his minor works . I'm pretty happy with the results (I like the trance/ecstasy expression), however I don't think I will ever again reproduce another painting, It's just coping, and was not so fun... Anyway here we go (14 hours, no tracing):

Click on the picture to watch it larger ;)

AndreaMG
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
D Akey, thanks, you make me blush, you are too generous! I wish I had a model like was Rose in Titanic movie for Jack :D Thanks again, your support means a lot! Bye

Caesar
11-27-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm smiling a little bit reading D Akey comment because he correctly used the feminine congratulation form:brava. :o:D:rolleyes:
The fun is that while in the rest of the world Andrea is feminine while Andreas is masculine, in Italy Andrea is masculine and there's no feminine form apart from a false diminutive form, Andreina. Therefore I guess that Andrea, unless coming from another country or foreign parent, since he apparently lives in Italy, is a man and would require the masculine form, i.e. bravo.

AndreaMG
12-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Everyone, now Lindsay is (kinda) polished; I kept the "dirty" :p look and used A LOT of frosting to simulate the freckles :D:D
Check her out at pag. #3.

stevemawmv
12-02-2013, 08:18 AM
AndreaMG,
First, thanks for visiting my thread and
your kind comments.

'LINDSAY!!!!!
Like your edits to Lindsay... 'Do I dare say...'Your portrait of her has reached the final stage of excelence?... Then again, is a painting ever done in its makers eyes? Don't quite know what that means?....But, maybe!.... 'It's done when it's done'?

Seriously!... I truly admire your sense of perfection and your persistance in obtaining it!
Clearly!..the results are justifying your admirable drive to this end!
I applaud you my friend!
Take Care,
Steve

My Gallery:
http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv-Paintings-and-Stuff-(NEW-UPDATE-11-29)

AndreaMG
12-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi Dear Steve, my friend, thanks for the kind words!! You are far too generous:o It's always a pleasure to visit your thread, too.
Lindsay's painting was not up to the others so I had to do it. In my case unfortunately EVERY TIME I look at one on my painting I find something that I wish to change, something that now I would have done in a different way, however the exitment of beginning new paintings is so much stronger and so I keep going :D (and now I hear that the lovely Sarah Michelle Gellar is calling me!:o)

P.S.1: I like your new avatar, is it the younger version of you?:D

P.S.2: I had to give up on the Surface because it went lost/stolen in the shipping process, fortunately I got the refund. This fact made me realize that me and the Surface were not meant for each other so I ordered a Cintiq 13HD instead:D... Hope this one will arrive at the destination!

Thanks again for stopping by. With Sarah I will put everything I got. Stay tuned and thanks for visiting!

stevemawmv
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Hello, Andrea!

Hi Everyone, now Lindsay is (kinda) polished; I kept the "dirty" :p look and used A LOT of frosting to simulate the freckles :D:D

Lindsay's trying to edit and clean her own self up, just gave her another look...and again 'like your edits'! But unfortunately, when it comes to her own life, I personally think your getting more done with your edits then she is!
Thanks for your reply in my thread...Yes!... It's me as a little guy...and looking forward for the 'Sarah painting'!
Take Care,
Steve

AndreaMG
12-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi Dear Steve, I hope she will get it together, I think she has talent (shown in movies like "Mean girls" and more recently in "Bobby"). She's very photogenic and I think I will paint her again. As for "Buffy" the painting is in early stage but so far looks promising, it's complex and it will take several weeks to be finished :). PS the Cintiq13hd arrived but I will send it back, what a disappointment (see the technical section if you want to know why). Thanks for stopping by! Take care

justjean
12-09-2013, 12:12 AM
A beautiful painting of a beautiful girl

Weeks
12-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Great Job Steve :)

Best,

Weeks

stevemawmv
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
This is certainly awkward!!!
'Weeks'! Get back here!
Its Andrea's painting!
All I did was move it from the back of the shelves!

AndreaMG
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Ha ha, don't worry, it's an honor that one of my paintings is mistaken for one of yours! Thanks all for the compliments!! Buffy is coming!!!!!!!!!!;)

Weeks
12-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Oh Oooo ! :o Sorry Andreas
Big mistake.
Anyway, good job, both of you. Ahaha.

Best,

Weeks

AndreaMG
12-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone! Hope you like my latest painting: S.M. Gellar Little Red Riding Hood version:p
Click on the pictures to watch them larger!
Here's a close up:

stevemawmv
12-26-2013, 06:41 AM
'Sarah'
What a wonderful and beautiful Christmas gift, She's absolutly stunning!
Differently worth the wait. She's going to have to watch out for the Holiday wolves!!
Merry Christmas to you,
and thanks for the gift!
Steve

P.S. My laptop screen is much too small, heading towards
my desktop as I write!!!
Beautifully done!

D Akey
12-26-2013, 06:54 AM
In my castle in Transylvania we always make sure that Santa's helpers produce a reflection in the mirror. . . the stakes are high. Beautiful likeness. Rather sexy too!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

AndreaMG
12-26-2013, 07:00 AM
'Sarah'
What a wonderful and beautiful Christmas gift, She's absolutly stunning!
Differently worth the wait. She's going to have to watch out for the Holiday wolves!!
Merry Christmas to you,
and thanks for the gift!
Steve
P.S. My laptop screen is much too small, heading towards
my desktop as I write!!!
Beautifully done!

Thank you Dear Steve! You're quite welcome! It took a lot of time to finish it. This time I had to use a very large canvas (6.244x7.668) in order not to lose definition on smallest areas (please be sure to check her after triple clicking on pictures:)), I think I pushed my PC to its limits because using tools at 300% sometimes slowed things down. I'm happy you like it! Next paintings will be ALLA PRIMA!!!

AndreaMG
12-26-2013, 07:03 AM
In my castle in Transylvania we always make sure that Santa's helpers produce a reflection in the mirror. . . the stakes are high. Beautiful likeness. Rather sexy too!
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Ha ha, thanks Dear D Akey, hope I won't get punished for posting her here instead of the after 9 o'clock section!;)

coops
12-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Brilliant work, looking forward to seeing more and more:)

Caesar
01-01-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm still waiting for Your Santa to come, but I hope she may come on the 6th of January with her gifts, although she's not at all a Befana ... LOL Felice 2014!

AndreaMG
01-01-2014, 03:57 AM
Brilliant work, looking forward to seeing more and more:)
Thank you Dear Coops, I'm working on multiple projects and experimenting new things, stay tuned!! Happy 2014!

AndreaMG
01-01-2014, 04:10 AM
I'm still waiting for Your Santa to come, but I hope she may come on the 6th of January with her gifts, although she's not at all a Befana ... LOL Felice 2014!
Ciao Cesare, sei tornato dalle ferie? Per forza non è passata si è dovuta trattenere da me per il dipinto e non è più potuta andare via (mi ha anche detto che aveva paura di incontrare il tuo Babbo natale! :):):)). Grazie e buon 2014 anche a te!
Hello Caesar, back from holydays? Of course she didn't come, I had to do some final touches to the painting and so she didn't make it on time (she also told me she was scared to meet your Santa! :):):)) Happy 2014 to you as well!

AndreaMG
01-01-2014, 04:14 AM
Coming soon...:)

D Akey
01-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Wow. She sure looks cold though not frigid. By all means, show in this New Years baby!

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!! It's a party. . .

AndreaMG
01-02-2014, 02:03 AM
Wow. She sure looks cold though not frigid. By all means, show in this New Years baby!

Man, you're good! She sure looks kinda icy, I love the way he painted her in such a modern diva pose!:D

stevemawmv
01-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Andrea,
Happy 2014!
What am I missing here? searched for what painting it will be, and came up with a blank!
You've certainly have my curiosity going, But I can wait, I have patience!
Hope you had a fun new years celebration! Looking forward to your new painting.
Take Care Friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
01-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dear Steve, I'm not feeling very well these days unfortunately so I'm resting quietly at home painting most of the day:p It was a tease ;), soon you'll find more, I discovered it while watching literally thousands of paintings on the net looking for inspiration. Happy 2014 (2015, 2016 and so on and on) to you and your dear ones as well!

stevemawmv
01-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Andrea,
Truly sorry to hear this, take care of yourself and my best wishes go out to you.
Feeling better is what is important. So, get a lot of rest and get better my friend!
Take Care,
Steve

Marilyn Anne
01-05-2014, 08:26 AM
I especially like the Godward style painting. Very nice!

AndreaMG
01-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Thank you dear, he was good and he knew it:cool:

AndreaMG
01-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Andrea,
Truly sorry to hear this, take care of yourself and my best wishes go out to you.
Feeling better is what is important. So, get a lot of rest and get better my friend!
Take Care,
Steve
Thank you Dear friend, now I'm feeling better! Thanks you so much again!;)

Alexandra
01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Hi Andrea, beautiful oils. I am a bit confused with the Santa silhouette though, he seems kind of on the slender side and his hair has grown longer.:p lol.
Happy New Year, and again, beautiful oil work!

Caesar
01-06-2014, 02:49 AM
What's about to come looks very interesting! I'll keep waiting anxiously ...
Ciò che è in arrivo sembra interessantissimo! Resterò in ansiosa attesa ...

AndreaMG
01-06-2014, 04:18 AM
Hi Andrea, beautiful oils. I am a bit confused with the Santa silhouette though, he seems kind of on the slender side and his hair has grown longer.:p lol.
Happy New Year, and again, beautiful oil work!
Thanks Dear Alexandra, you're obviously mistaking her with Caesar's Santa!!:D

AndreaMG
01-06-2014, 04:18 AM
What's about to come looks very interesting! I'll keep waiting anxiously ...
Ciò che è in arrivo sembra interessantissimo! Resterò in ansiosa attesa ...
Thanks Dear Caesar, wait is almost over!

AndreaMG
01-06-2014, 04:38 AM
My take on Mrs Townsend by John S. Sargent (please forgive me Master:rolleyes:).
Click three times on images to enlarge!

Close-up of her face:

Close-up of her hand and puppy's tail:p:

Here's the link to download the uncompressed picture at native resolution:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/66zey3q87dpdc9y/Miss%20Beatrice%20Townsend.png

SilverO
01-06-2014, 05:31 AM
It looks very good
I googled the original and you really did a great job:D

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Hello Andrea,
Beautiful painting you've have here, I'm quite sure John Sargent would have approved.
Outstanding work! Also sure Miss Beatrice wouldn't have minded sitting the second
time as well, Her appreciative parents would have thought it was worth every Morgan silver dollar
spent on it. But, it could have been a gift to Mrs Townsend?
Well done, my friend!
Staying home and getting
better, was the right medicine.
The proof is in the painting you
have here!
Best wishes,
Steve

'SURPRISE' You might like:http://forums.artrage.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78795&d=1389159007

stevemawmv
01-06-2014, 07:17 AM
"And your little dog too!" .....

D Akey
01-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Really high quality. I would consider this an interpretation using a different medium that behaves similar but slightly differently. I think you have the essence of Sergeant's style though -- the painterly quality without too much fussy detail.

I think the major difference for me is in the bravura brushstrokes, and that's only different because of the inherent limitations of the marks based on the available brushes -- at least in so far as I can see. I am not thoroughly aware of the available brushes, nor how difficult they are to adjust to reflect the character of actual real world brushes that Sergeant would use. So unless one is trying to create a perfect forgery, it works quite nicely as you've done it.

And the most important thing is that you have tools for your own work that you can apply as your own when you go to that stage with it. In this case where you're copying, I would compare the two paintings to two performances of the same piece by two different artists like Segovia vs. Julian Bream. I don't know which guitarist would have played Alhambra first, but I would bet that whichever one played it second would have listened to and been influenced by the predecessor. Each version has its own quality.

Fantastic skill you're demonstrating. Thanks for sharing it.

justjean
01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Andrea, Mrs Townsend by JSS is terrific :):):):)

silvy
01-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Wonderful work:)

Caesar
01-07-2014, 03:14 AM
Hai lavorato superbamente ad afferrare il tocco special di Sargent, caro Andrea! Complimenti per una così impressionante interpretazione di questo famoso ritratto! Stranamente anch'io, tempo fa ero stato colpito da quel maestro e tentato di imparare copiandolo. Ecco qui la prova.

You worked superbly here to grab Sargent's special touch, dear Andrea! Congratulations for such an awful interpretation of this famous portrait! Curiously I was struck too, some time ago, by that master and tried to learn by copying him. Here's the evidence.

AndreaMG
01-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Thank you so much SilverO, justjean, silvy, glad you liked it! This time around I had fun doing the job:o

Thanks Steve for all of your support! Maybe it was a gift to her, who knows? High society liked to be portrayed, nowadays we have smartphones to capture us, back then they had Sergeant...;)

Thanks DAkey! Artrage for what I can see mimics the real thing very well but of course it's not there yet (and as far as I know any other program...), but you can come pretty close. A perfect forgery it's not possible because of the limitations of the references images, the limitations of the program and last but not least the limitations of the painter:D. That said just coping takes away all the fun so I tried to use a lot of knife just to experiment a bit. I also discovered that a lot of figurative painters, before "getting heavy" with evident brushstrokes or with the knife, set up the painting with almost all the details, but I don't think it's cheating, the final result is what really matters!

AndreaMG
01-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks Dear Caesar, so glad you liked it, I was struck as well! Thanks for sharing yours, it's awesome! Is it done in Artrage too?

jmac
01-07-2014, 05:01 AM
Beautifully done Andrea.

Caesar
01-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Maybe also for geographical and cultural reasons we think somehow alike, dear Andrea, thank You!
The painting is actually pure Artrage, made of three layers: a sketchy drawing base layer then a rough, area painted background on a second layer above the drawing (curtains, wall and chair colors withouth details) and finally a third layer on top with other strokes/ details for the background and practically the whole figure and dress painting). I attach herebelow the three layers all contributing to the final effect.
Don't ask me why the background on two layers and the figure on one. I tend to mess up a little bit when I try to set up a process ... LOL;):o

AndreaMG
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks for sharing Dear Caesar, maybe in the future I will paint some other stuff from Sargent, but before that there are so many inspiring paintings out there that I'd like to reproduce :rolleyes:

AndreaMG
01-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Beautifully done Andrea. Thank you so much!;)

Caesar
01-09-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm curious to know which other paintings You like, dear Andrea.
Personally I loved to copy in the past several masters, among whom, Anders Zorn, Jack Vettriano, Bouguereau, Frank Frazetta, Lucien Freud, Norman Rockwell, Klimt and also Caravaggio. Quite a salad of different styles You would say ... :confused: Anyone of them You like too?

NickBussy
01-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Nice work! I like the use of colour in the hair and the way light interacts with different textures is spot on. :cool:

D Akey
01-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Nice one Caesar!

It's interesting when one is copying what is seen on the surface as opposed to building up the picture as one would do for an original. The procedure is quite different. Still, there's a lot to be learned from doing it that way.

But I am thinking there is nothing wrong. In fact I think it may push a whole generation of artists on the computer into a different realm and different techniques. I've seen many painted this way on YouTube demos where it looks as if the artist has to do no working up to a finish, but rather they just paint what is seen. Of course there are other demos where they do build up as well. But in the olden days of long ago, you would rarely construct a painting of this kind this way unless you had done it this way hundreds of times and knew what you had to do and what was unnecessary.

The interesting thing to me is that you in the recent past have been blending cartooning and painting and thus coming up with a unique style of your own, and that's always the best -- to make it a synthesis of the various methods you've come across in your personal journey.

Anyway, I like this Caesar, for what you're doing with it in your own way. That's bringing creativity to what could have been a mere mechanical exercise. Good man.

AndreaMG
01-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Nice work! I like the use of colour in the hair and the way light interacts with different textures is spot on. :cool:Thank you so much! ;)

copespeak
01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Caesar and Andrea, both are mind blowing good! It's interesting Caesar, how your unique style still shows in your painting, even though you are following another artist.

AndreaMG
01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm curious to know which other paintings You like, dear Andrea.
Personally I loved to copy in the past several masters, among whom, Anders Zorn, Jack Vettriano, Bouguereau, Frank Frazetta, Lucien Freud, Norman Rockwell, Klimt and also Caravaggio. Quite a salad of different styles You would say ... :confused: Anyone of them You like too?

Ciao Caesar,
actually I like A LOT Bouguereau (alongiside with John William Waterhouse and John William Godward of course!), I googled the others (except Caravaggio whom I already knew)... Jack Vettriano is the one I like the most (his paintings look like stills from vintage movies!) while Lucien Freud is definitely not my cup of tea (you know I'm an esthete :D:rolleyes:).

Recently I discovered these amazing contemporary painters (check them out!):

http://www.listonart.com/
http://www.davidgrayart.com/
http://www.ignatovart.com/
http://www.jeffreyrwatts.com/
http://redrabbit7.com/
http://www.romeldelatorre.com/index.html
http://kevinbeilfuss.com/
http://www.dunawayfineart.com/
http://www.morganweistling.com/
http://www.johannaharmon.com/johannaharmon/Welcome.html
http://vicenteromero.wordpress.com/

AndreaMG
01-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Caesar and Andrea, both are mind blowing good! It's interesting Caesar, how your unique style still shows in your painting, even though you are following another artist.
Thank you Dear copespeak! I will try to incorporate the style of the painters I like the most into my paintings!!

Caesar
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank You, dear D Akey! What would my pride do without You, dear friend?;)

Thank You, dear Robyn, the merit is of the great masters who, like gamma-rays, ignite my modest artistic superpowers!

Dear Andrea, I would then offer You another little gift form my past efforts You may appreciate ... Bouguereau, Vettriano and Waterhouse, here they are!
Before them I also elaborated on a Bouguereau painting with Eros and Psyché.

copespeak
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Sooooo good Caesar!

Caesar
01-09-2014, 09:10 PM
As I anticipated, dear Robyn, they're mostly not my merit, but of the masters' painting I tried to replicate or emulate intuitively ... that makes all quite easier in order to get a pleasant outcome. Thank You!

AndreaMG
01-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Dear Andrea, I would then offer You another little gift form my past efforts You may appreciate ... Bouguereau, Vettriano and Waterhouse, here they are!
Before them I also elaborated on a Bouguereau painting with Eros and Psyché. I love them all Dear Caesar!

stevemawmv
01-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Hello Andrea,
Been spending sometime studying your painting, and looking into the brush and knife strokes and how you incorporated them into
your painting. And also reviewed J.S.S. works, and I noticed that his details, backgrounds and clothing are not precisely rendered to
perfection when he painted. Which takes a lot of the load off me, because I like messing around with my backgrounds, and always felt I could have
done a better job at them. Anyway, what I think I've learned is that backgrounds and visual items in the painting can be there, but
the emphasis must be placed on the models face, with attention to the background accenting and enhancing the main focus, the first thing
that grabs your eyes, the faces. A balancing act...of sorts? Feel better now, was starting to worry about how detailed my backgrounds
should be. Sorry for rambling on, way to much coffee!

And by the way, I didn't receive my invitation to your gallery's event of our dear friend Caesar's work, love all of his paintings, caricatures and
sketches and pretty much everything he creates. Were in very good company!
Take care, you too Caesar, and continue
painting these beautiful images!
Steve

Andrea's painting of Miss Townsend....

Caesar
01-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Thank You very much for Your kind words, dear Steve!
Being her and having Artrage since a very long time now allowed me to have a long list of paintings with quite styles and subjects I also tried to learn from masters I admired and tried to emulate, including floreal still lives I generally don't like too much. Unfortunately I also have, like and more any other amateur, a list of somehow frustrating struggles, poor works and unsatisfactory backgrounds or finishing.
Nonetheless I always preferred to keep my works as a funny activity, thus within a reasonable time, effort and a limited, simple and manageable number of tricks and AR support tools, no more than the ones required on real paintings. I didn't enter into any business for my works, so I didn't need to specialize and work too hard and long to perfect "masterpieces". The most satisfactory performance are the ones which ended up as both effective and natural to make for me ...

AndreaMG
01-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Hello Dear Steve, you’re always welcome here like anyone else of course! My paintings are not meant to be mere forges, they are interpretations, because of the limitations of the program, the limitation of the reference image and the limitations of my skills:), besides just copying takes all the fun away:rolleyes:. Regarding the background of the last painting I must admit I was unable to reproduce the brushstrokes and so I took another route, anyway I think the background on this one is really dull (bad bad Sargent;)), so no harm done:p As far as the focus of the paint I think human face doesn't need any helps or tricks of any kind that's because there's a particular region of our brain that does only that, it recognizes faces, so no matter what the focus is always there, see for instance one of my earlier painting portraying Emilie de Ravin on a Porsche, even if the whole picture is very detailed the attention goes to her. That said I think your backgrounds are gorgeous! Cheers:)

AndreaMG
01-12-2014, 07:14 AM
My take on a beautiful painting of the crazy talented Morgan Weistling:p
Click three times on image to enlarge!

Here's the link to download the uncompressed picture at native resolution:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/72f46afcfoagucd/Heaven.png

stevemawmv
01-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Hello Andrea,
This painting may have been orginaly painted by another artist, but you've certainly made
it your own with your style and use of these wild brush and knive strokes, adding another
dimension and flair to it, and I really like it!
As always,
beautifully painted!
Take care friend,
Steve

Caesar
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Really impressive painting! You seem to be able to simulate the essential technique and spirit of any artist!:eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

jmac
01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm not familiar with this artist but I like what you have done. You are a very talented painter.

AndreaMG
01-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Thanks Dear stevemawmv, hope I didn't overdo it:p

Thanks Dear Caesar, what a compliment! I try as hard as I can to get each painter's style, I hope in the future to be able to incorporate them in my own paintings:p

Thanks Dear jmac, check him out at: http://www.morganweistling.com

coops
01-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Love the lighting in this latest painting, well done:)

Weeks
01-13-2014, 04:49 AM
AndreaMG, what a great idea to learn from the Masters and what a nice and inspiring painting you did.

Best,

Weeks

AndreaMG
01-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Thank you Dear Coops, some time in the future I might consider to paint a ballet dancer!

Thank you Dear Weeks, the more I paint the more I learn;)

stevemawmv
01-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Hello Andrea,
How you doing?
As for "hope I didn't overdo it", not at all!
I like it, still trying to figure out the technique for the knife trick though....
and looking forward to your next painting!
As always!
Take care friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Hi Dear Steve, how do you do? Thanks for your concern, actually I'm not at 100% yet :mad:, Friday I'm going to the doctor just in case. To tell the truth those knife marks weren't meant to be there from the beginning but I kinda liked the effect and do so I went with that. The x shaped knife effect it's done (a bit randomly to be honest) by rotating the pen, hem, sorry... the knife, while staying almost still;) Next painting will be Avril again (you know to me she is what Rachel is to you I guess, my favorite model:D), it's nothing exceptional but I did some other experimenting with the knife tool (the more I use it the more I like it!). How you're paintings doing? Are you finishing Rachel and Mr. President first and then go back to the girls? Cheers

Weeks
01-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Absolutely AndreaMG, the more WE paint, the more WE learn :)

Best,

Weeks

AndreaMG
01-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Taking a break from the Masters... Here's Avril in Technicolor;)

stevemawmv
01-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Dear Andrea,
"Lights, Camera, Action!"
Absolutely love her eyes, your 'Technicolor" background and the facial tinting are befitting of a star, and frame them perfectly!
I dig these brush strokes as well, and your experimentation with them....
Another Beauty!
Take Care Friend,
Steve

copespeak
01-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Very striking, confident painting Andrea! :cool:

SilverO
01-19-2014, 09:26 AM
That's really awesome;) I love the brush strokes and the colors :)

AndreaMG
01-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Thank you Dear Steve, glad you liked it :D, this time I played with colors a lot :o Take care dear friend ;)

Thank you Dear copespeak, next time I might paint Avril in a viking costume, or even better as a Valkyrie :p

Thanks you Dear SilverO for your kind comment!

justjean
01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Andrea, a lovely bright, colourful, beautiful painting of a lovely young lady :)

D Akey
01-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Autographed it too (yours or hers?) in a place where a magazine would put it's banner, making it feel like a private/public comment. Ah celebrity!

Phenomenal portrait. I think this latest works better than the previous if one is looking at the party theme. I love the streamers as they're more graceful and dance-worthy than little twinkles, though that's a pretty cool effect. Now that you know how to do that effect as well, you have building vocabulary for accenting your portraits of glamor and can pick and choose where and how much and what effect it produces in the context of your paintings.

I think the last one is perfect for telling the story of a beautiful young starlet who is enveloped in an exciting life that collects around her charisma and attractiveness. It feels like paparazzi buzz in an idyllic form.

I do however like them both. But this last one is great. The pose is thoroughly engaging. It's like falling under enchantment. I also like the warm umbers/siennas you used as a base rather than a black. Warms it up considerably. I love black as the darkest dark, but it can go a little cold if not handles precisely well. But this is super warm.

Very well done.

Caesar
01-20-2014, 09:41 PM
An excelent portrait quality together with an impressive, powerful and effective style. Great!

AndreaMG
01-21-2014, 02:06 AM
Thanks Dear justjean, painting beautiful girls makes the job so much easier as well the result so much better ;)

Thanks Dear "D", actually the signature is mine, although it kinda resembles hers :D You're totally right, now that you mention it it looks like a cover of a glamour magazine :cool:. I also think this is better than the previous one because first of all a lot of elements added by me (the hair in the reference picture is different), secondly it finally has a painterly look to it (while the first one, mainly the skin, was too much blended). I've noticed that the more you add fine details the more it becomes difficult to fool the eye and the more the image does look digital (it's the same thing that happens in CGI), on the contrary painting in a more figurative/impressionistic way is interpreted by the brain as a representation of reality and so automatically recognized as some form of "art"; since Artrage simulates real painting so well from now on I will try to follow this path :p. I like "It's like falling under enchantment", what a compliment! When a painting is able to deliver such messages I think the job is done :D. The colors on painting are very different from the original, the brown, yellowish color is taken from the original background; to tell the truth this is the first painting where I went so far away from the original colors and I'm pretty happy with the results, I think that the things I said earlier referring to shapes and their relation to what we perceive can be applied to colors as well...

Thnaks Dear Caesar, Oh Mighty One :D, still experimenting and trying new things ;)

AndreaMG
01-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Hello there,

I'm going to paint with real oils from now on :D so all my energies will go into that... I just wanted to thank Artrage guys for creating this wonderful program that made me re-discover the joy to create and all the friends that I met here!!!
Here's Av in B&W (5 hours without even breathing! :p)

stevemawmv
01-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Dear Andrea,
Black and white, back in style.....
Love Avril in this sculptured like quality, I use to get out my mom's B+W
sketches out and just study them...Thanks for the memory of those times!
Really like this!
Take care,
Dear Friend!
Steve

Added....
Now I'm urging you to take a "Take A Breath" from time to time,
it's not going to effect the outcome, He He!
All your work is a joy to view, and I always look
forward to your creativeness in styles and your
innovative way of using them.

Added....
What does "I'm going to paint with real oils from now on" mean?
The final part sounded like a goodbye almost, "friends that I met here!!!"?
Your friend,
Steve

Caesar
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Your directional brushstrokes and traits gave shape and volume to this portrait with a quite impressive confidence! Excellent.

coops
01-28-2014, 03:33 AM
I love the strong brushwork in this latest, well done :)

AndreaMG
01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Dear Andrea,
Added....
What does "I'm going to paint with real oils from now on" mean?
The final part sounded like a goodbye almost, "friends that I met here!!!"?
Your friend,
Steve
Thanks Dear Steve for the compliments!!!!!! This time I sat on the chair and gave myself a timeline. Because of the limited time I didn't even touch the knife and I worked all the time without zooming, too. I'm quite pleased with the result, proportions might not be 100% accurate but it feels organic, natural and powerful at the same time. I'm glad it brought you back happy memories;). You know I always like to try something new, a new way of doing this and that and right now I do feel ready to paint with oils, I mean I know what you can do with real paint, I want to try it myself, it will be a new beginning again, a new discovery. The downside is that unfortunately I won't be able to paint with Artrage anymore because my "hobby time" is quite limited, but I will keep a close look at your work, that's for sure my dear friend :cool: Take care

AndreaMG
01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks Dear Caesar and Coops for your kind comments:cool:

D Akey
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Heh, this last one is rather interesting. It feels as if fashioned or sculpted from a crafts item. There is an old technique that could not exist in the real world at this level of finesse, but it was where someone takes string and dips it into plaster of paris and while wet places it. And of course they then let it dry in place. And it's also a white on white effect. I only make this association because of personal experiences with books on sculpting and it was an intriguing technique. Really too delicate though for the real world. But it had the effect of a crossing over mediums from volumetric sculpture as an goal through a linear process.

As to knowing the human head, and this lady in particular, clearly you have the information in the right places. It's the marks themselves add an interesting and eye catching character.

Were you at all inspired by Weeks' leaving and integrating the structural perspective lines into his paintings? Whether or not you were, it's an interesting parallel, just handled very differently.

I must say that any way Petrarch can use Laura, it raises the concept. What say you, Dante?

HarlequiNQB
01-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Everything in this thread is golden. Best of luck with the oils - if the results are half as good as these I just wish we could see them. Come back and link to some of them if you ever place them in an online gallery perhaps?

AndreaMG
01-29-2014, 02:03 AM
Thanks Dear D, I think Weeks and I have different approaches, the lines on the faces he draws look almost like a 3d wireframe, mine instead are lines that enhance the shapes' outlines, marking the silhoutte I guess :rolleyes:. Actually I was drawing her hair and I began to realize that adding angles and straight lines gave the picture an interesting look to it, so I decided to extend that approach to the whole painting. I will try my best to translate this style into real oils, but first of all I have to understand how they react (I bought like 6 different palette knives, hope I will get crazy effects!). One thing I learned from this latest painting, the more aggressive and loose you are the better the results, so I will try my best to go heavy even with real media :cool: (paintings must not be boring :D). Merit of course also goes to her beauty, I'm only celebrating it the best I can :p.

Thanks Dear HarlequiNQB you're too generous :o. I do hope the transition will be smooth ;). I almost forgot... the Amy Pond played by the stunning Karen Gillan is on my to do list! ;)

stevemawmv
01-29-2014, 05:00 AM
Dear Andrea,
Looking forward to seeing your new work in oils, please post them!
wishing you the best in your new path, and know already they're
going to be fantastic, your creativity and talent assures that.....
Something to be said about holding a painting in your hands when it's
done....
Take care friend,
Steve

AndreaMG
02-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Hello,
trying to explore last technique a bit more. I said to myself I had to stop to paint Av so I chose a random girl wearing glasses that I found while browsing on the net that I particularly liked :o

AndreaMG
02-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Here's the other one :o

gxhpainter2
02-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Hi Andrea, I am an old hand here but have been away almost a year, but got the bug again and I am delighted to see all the great work you have done!... I especially like the direction of these last two, it seems to be an evolving style , strong and crisp lines have added great character to the works. :cool:

stevemawmv
02-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Hello Andrea,
I really like the stylistic technique you've got going on here, explore on friend, these are great!
Of course I had to see a story in these two.....She just going out for a walk, they see her but
not quite sure..... must be the glasses, one makes a funny comment to her and she responds
with a smile leaving no doubt of her identity to them.
Glad your back,
Steve

SilverO
02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Those look really awesome Andrea
I really like that style :)

copespeak
02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
She's just beautiful Andrea. Such confident strokes spiking everywhere, but tells the story beautifully.

coops
02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Wow these two are brilliant, love this new style:)

Caesar
02-11-2014, 01:27 AM
I don't know which brush setting or sticker You use, but it's quite clean that it's essentially Your confident hand and mastery that can works out such marvels! Mitico and my respects to Madame the model for her beauty!:)

eighty+
02-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi. Andy. I do like your last M.W iKept looking at it now U've done it Congrats so I might bite

The bullet and give it a try. Good to hear your going Trad. That's what Morgan does to you had

Similar thoughts myself as got all the gear have to get new oils as mine must B rock hard by now ok.

Don't forget take some photos so we can see them on artrage regards E+

Danny Greene
02-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Amazing work!!!

theperceptor
02-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Realy unique portraits. Squint a them/has neat effect.

AndreaMG
02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks gxhpainter! To me those lines seem to construct/deconstruct the picture in an entertaining way (so much fun when I start adding them:cool:).

Thanks a lot Dear Steve. Thanks also for the story! Maybe subconsciously I was thinking the same, that's why I put the serious one on top :cool:

Thanks SilverO's, glad you like the style! Oh don't worry it happens all the times to me too, after working with a painting I have to cool down a bit to notice all the weirdest things I've done:D

Thanks Robyn, much appreciated ;)

Thanks Katie, I still have to explore it and find the right balance.

Ciao Cesare, addirittura mitico, ma così mi fai arrossire! Grazie ancora caro!
Ave Caesar, mythical? You make me blush! Thank you again Dear! Av says thanks too (I'm not done with her yet :cool:)

Hi Dear 80+, glad you like my M.W, it was done almost entirely with the knife (it's funny because these last ones are on the opposite brush only). The problem with Morgan Weistling is that it is quite hard to find on the net hi res reference pictures so a lot is left to the imagination. Alas the real oil program went all wrong, I'm impatient and found out that my way is into the 0101010101010101010s :cool::cool: STATTE BBUONO Sláinte

Thanks Danny Greene, thanks theperceptor! It's true! You have to take some steps away from the picture and squint your eyes and the puzzle will come back together with an almost realistic image :cool:

justjean
02-11-2014, 07:17 PM
She looks GREAT, Andrea :)

D Akey
02-12-2014, 06:34 AM
She looks succulent with this technique. . . (Since you speak Italian first: succulent has double meaning here -- on one hand "juicy and delicious" while on the other hand a "cactus" with lots of needles.)

Without a doubt it's a virtuoso performance and the long linear stroke approach has the feeling of straws or frost on windows or cracks in glass arranged strategically to present an image in a unique way -- the opposite effect of soft blurred edges. Although it can also be reminiscent of certain star burst or ripple filters in photography as an overall repeated similar effect with moderate traditional attention to what's happening in the face, other than adding a little artistic flair to the picture.

It's very energetic, and she still looks beautiful and enticing. You have a great knack and facility with beautiful women's faces. If you can pull this off and still make her look beautiful, because those strokes are so rigid and repetitive, you can probably do anything. I'm impressed with your threading the needle as it were. This could have gone out of control very easily yet you made it work.

AndreaMG
02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks Dear justjean, thanks Dear D. Ah ah cactus :D:D. I want to explore and refine this technique more because I like it so much. I have to find the right balance between realism and abstraction through those lines. One thing is for sure: I like edges A LOT, and found out that curves can also be rendered so well with multiple lines:cool:. Next challenge will be to paint an entire figure with a background and see what happens... Thanks again ;)

Caesar
02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Dear Andrea, I see what You mean and I agree. After geometric figures may be wondefully defined by sheaf of tangents, hyperboloids by inclined straight lines and so on, so there's at least synthesis and a vibration that lines and edges may provide to our paintings. I once did an experiment with a "plumé approach" (see below) and I found it exciting although not that easy to implement without enough excercise (and a virtuoso gift too most likely).
Succulent was the right word and D Akey definition was absolutely interesting and fitting (here, in Italian, we just imagine succulento as a derivative of succo, juice exectly ). The subject looks tasty, juicy, but also endowed with a strong personality, which adds to the juice in a way, just like a fico d'india, a prickly pear, rather than a cactus, which has needles to remove, little seeds to swallow, but is extremely tasty and sweet to eat ...:o;)

AndreaMG
02-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Caesar, you never cease to amaze me, what a lovely painting! It make me wanna draw, too bad I've to work during the day and when I get home I'm too tired and besides I have to absolutely watch Fringe on BD (it's my new drug after Lost ;)). Thanks for sharing, I'm such an ignorant fool about art, I will look into that "plumé approach":cool:

copespeak
02-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Absolutely scrumptious painting Caesar!

HarlequiNQB
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
These are great. To me this latest style puts me in mind of older blueprints, or perspective drawings with the construction still visible. You can see all the carry over where the artist has placed their construction lines, even though there is a more finished piece atop it. It's a graphic style I've always liked, but it never occurred to me to do it with paint. Wonderful :)

Caesar
02-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Thank You, dear Andrea and Robyn! actually that was an idea stored for possibly improving later on along that style track ...

AndreaMG
02-16-2014, 08:42 AM
These are great. To me this latest style puts me in mind of older blueprints, or perspective drawings with the construction still visible. You can see all the carry over where the artist has placed their construction lines, even though there is a more finished piece atop it. It's a graphic style I've always liked, but it never occurred to me to do it with paint. Wonderful :)
Thank you!!!! Actually my building is pretty classic (I block in and then refine) and only later on I begin to add those lines, but you're tight they do remind blueprints. :cool::cool::cool:

AndreaMG
02-17-2014, 12:50 AM
The lovely Karen Gillan. Hope I made her justice! More to follow :cool:

pat1940
02-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I agree with Gary, Andrea, very different and interesting, great work

AndreaMG
02-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Some exercise with Karen, maybe I overdid a bit (she looks almost alien, but in a good way) ;)

AndreaMG
02-17-2014, 07:26 AM
I agree with Gary, Andrea, very different and interesting, great work

Thank you! :cool:

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Andrea....

I want to explore and refine this technique more because I like it so much.
I'm really enjoying this exploration as well, absolutely find this technique fascinating and happy your having a ball
with it. You are definitely putting your own spin on it and it is paying off big time.... Great work!
Fantastic work!
take care,

Steve

stevemawmv
02-17-2014, 07:45 AM
'Karen Gillan Take #2'

Andrea...
You sneaked up behind me...
Like the exercise as well, honk if your going to pass next time...He He He!

Steve

AndreaMG
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM
'Karen Gillan Take #2'

Andrea...
You sneaked up behind me...
Like the exercise as well, honk if your going to pass next time...He He He!

Steve

Ah ah, thanks my Dear friend! :cool:

justjean
02-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Andrea, another wonderful painting is the young lady with her very pensive look

Caesar
02-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Your straw-style paintings are terrific! They vibrate of life and energy! Maybe the directional scheme can also contribute to express or suggest emotions and feelings according to the compositional patterns of the lines ...:rolleyes:

eighty+
02-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Hi Andy a quick smash, a try at your hair style, as I see that we all like it :) think with more pratice might get there ?? ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D STATTE BBUONE Si Si

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Andrea, another wonderful painting is the young lady with her very pensive look

Thank you Dear Jean, the pensive look was not deliberate, that is one of the things I like the most about painting, you always come out with something totally unexpected :cool:

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 02:16 AM
Your straw-style paintings are terrific! They vibrate of life and energy! Maybe the directional scheme can also contribute to express or suggest emotions and feelings according to the compositional patterns of the lines ...:rolleyes:
Grazie!! In "the sitting girl" painting I think that for instance the lines along her legs underline how crazy beautiful they are :o, so I think the message is to enhance certain aspects of the figure but ultimately they abstract the whole picture bringing it closer to a perception rather than a static image. Grazie ancora ciao (I'm glad you liked POS-EIGHTY-ON+:D)

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 02:18 AM
Hi Andy a quick smash, a try at your hair style, as I see that we all like it :) think with more pratice might get there ?? ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D STATTE BBUONE Si Si
Ah ah, you're getting there my friend. Keep practicing but beware that I might charge you the royalties! ;) STATTE BBUONO :cool:

eighty+
02-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Are U. Forgetting that I come up out of the sea. Andy. :D. But as a special favour I'll bung U.

A couple of Mermaids Ok. ;):D:D:D. STATTE BBUONE?...............Si..Si

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Are U. Forgetting that I come up out of the sea. Andy. :D. But as a special favour I'll bung U.

A couple of Mermaids Ok. ;):D:D:D. STATTE BBUONE?...............Si..Si

Ok here you go: the gorgeous and crazy talented Sara Paxton from the lovely movie "Aquamarine" :cool::cool::cool:

gxhpainter2
02-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Andrea, nice B&W work I love all the control that AR gives us...simple things like being able to draw straight lines ( CTRL key ) and taper and smooth lines..besides the elegant but functional interface. I like the grainy quality of the black and white the right eye is very Picasso yet the left eye is more natural which gives a nice tension to the work...:cool::cool:

justjean
02-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Andrea, now in the Karen Gillan Take #2 love her happy lovely smile :D

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 09:16 AM
I like the grainy quality of the black and white the right eye is very Picasso yet the left eye is more natural which gives a nice tension to the work...:cool::cool:

Thank you Gary, I'm afraid the Picasso thing is unwanted :D. I remember that when I began painting faces I had really hard times with proportions, and I spent a lot of time cheating with the transformation tools, today I got better yet it is still tricky especially when you're doing 3/4 profiles, anyway these days I can live with slightly off proportions, I agree with you that sometimes they enhance the ensemble :cool: Thanks for sopping by and commenting!

AndreaMG
02-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Andrea, now in the Karen Gillan Take #2 love her happy lovely smile :D
Thank you Dear Jean, the painting might seem harsh at first because of all those lines, but her smile is so graceful that melts everything else ;)

D Akey
02-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Been following your work with great interest. Very playful. You seem to find them in all manner of situations, all manner of fantasy. It really is a form of devotion to a 'type' if not a single person. As I mentioned before, I believe you would have found kindred spirits in Petrarch, Dante and Caesar (ours, not necessarily the conquering hero of early Rome).

One's work can only improve as the quality of description rises to match the visions of these women. Noble impetus.

eighty+
02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi Cap'n Mac. Thanks. I think. All those. bus sketch'es have helped plus yours truly. Alway's

At my shoulder with the odd Aggis and a moon river to keep me going and being critical when needed

Which was most of the time so thanks for a few cheers now and again I'm still at loss with Layer's

Hope to understand them. By my. 90.th Ok moon River's on my Tab ;) :D :D :D SLAINTE

AndreaMG
02-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Thank you so much Dear D :cool::cool::cool:

coops
02-20-2014, 04:15 AM
I like this style very much, well done:)

AndreaMG
02-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you Katie! :cool:

AndreaMG
02-24-2014, 07:01 AM
A quick painting I did today soon after coming back from the seaside, hope you like it :D

stevemawmv
02-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi Andrea,
The title sounded quite intriguing, something one would like to see....
And it is interesting how your new style is progressing, I rather like it.
good stuff, keep it up....
Take care friend,
Steve

justjean
02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh I do like this Andrea, fresh and free :D

pat1940
02-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Very nice Andrea, like your style, very bold and beautiful

eighty+
02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi Andy do like the last one looks like a trad oil painting congrats ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D STATTE BBUONE Si Si

gxhpainter2
02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
has the freshness of an ocean breeze :cool:... I also commented in your gallery where I first saw this one.. nicely done

Caesar
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Lines got curved here to express a feeling of tenderness maybe. Absolutely classy and masterful!

AndreaMG
02-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Thank you Dear Steve, this time I tried a more classic approach, glad you liked it :cool:

Thank you Dear Jean, fresh and free? I like it!!! :cool:

Thank you Dear Pat for your kind comment! :cool:

Thank you Dear 80+, if it looks like real painting then the job is done! Grazie and STATTE BBUONO :cool:

Thank you Dear Gary, actually DOUBLE THANK YOU for commenting even in the gallery section :cool:. What a poetic comment "freshness of an ocean breeze", Thanks! I saw you added the carnival word :cool:; for the future we can proceed this way: you paint and I, as a highly regarded critic, will add the titles :D

Thank you Dear Caesar, you're right as usual, it does give a tender look to it! Grazie ancora Carissimo! :cool:

D Akey
02-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Looks nice Andrea. From a technical expectation of wet into wet as a painting description, I would have thought it to be less dry looking. In painting with acrylic often the process is where the paint has already dried by the time the artist comes in with the next stroke thus suggesting a layering effect as being more common. Even though acrylic can be used many ways, its quick drying nature suggests different results from water color or oil. And this to me feels like acrylic because of the hard edges of the daubs.

At least that's my understanding of wet into wet as being something of a watercolor effect wherein the paint has not dried and when new paint is laid in it bleeds together thus creating ambiguity in certain of the edges. Oil can be the same way except that frequently the edges are fanned to where one gets a blended or at least a less defined integration in spots.

There's nothing at all as a negative for this painting. I'm just observing the nature of the paint application which suggested you used a different technique than what I see. And of course, you are playing with words and concepts, where you're talking about a beautiful woman at the ocean and going from the ocean wetness and then into paint. Seeing a painting, for me, that looks physically dry, it begs the question with the word play that if the canvas it not wet, it's referring to the world outside the picture frame being where the 'life' or 'moisture' is, and a painting never can possess that degree of life, except in mythology. It could thus be seen as a concept picture. I don't know if that's where you were going with it, but you rendered her in a beautiful way almost despite the paint style limitations you've chosen for this one. It's as if you're continuing to break new ground to get a more rare look at beauty wherein the contradiction of method provides a special artistic voice.

But it's very cool as it is. I like how you've been experimenting in a search for a look that is unexpected, both with your fast linear strokes in previous paintings and this one with a more quilted, mosaic look.

Very cool.

AndreaMG
02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you Dear D, actually I was going after that effect you mentioned (not the naughty one :D), but something went wrong :p, maybe I should apply more color in order to obtain the smooth blending. Although the overall look is reminescent of alla prima approach even it does not have that wet look I was trying to achieve. You have to know that in latest paintings I completely changed the painting flow, now I rarely zoom in and doing so I have a better perception of the whole thing (like in real painting) and I noticed that by doing that I'm faster and the result feels more natural. Thank you again your suggestions and comments are always a treasure!! :cool:

copespeak
02-25-2014, 08:56 AM
She is still a beautiful girl with all those chunky lines. Lovely painting Andrea!

AndreaMG
02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you so much Dear Robyn for the lovely comment :D I like the contrast between her beauty and the strong marks, it enhances it rather than flattening it I guess :p

pat1940
02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Andrea, checked out your gallery, really love your style

HarlequiNQB
02-25-2014, 06:13 PM
This is really lovely stuff. :)

coops
02-26-2014, 12:51 AM
I think this is terrific and really works well,:)

AndreaMG
02-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Thank you so much Dear Pat, Harlequin, Katie!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Oubaas
02-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Beautiful work, AndreaMG. I learn things and get ideas just from viewing art like yours. Thanks for sharing your work.

Marilyn Anne
02-27-2014, 03:05 AM
They have such immediacy and this is a lovely example.

AndreaMG
02-28-2014, 02:08 AM
Thanks Oubaas :D and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you Anne :D in the future I plan to do more of these :p

AndreaMG
03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Today I managed to breake the pen so I didn't finish the painting (too much emphasis I guess :rolleyes:). Anyhow here's a little preview (hopefully I will finish it as soon as the new one will arrive :p).

Kia ora!

stevemawmv
03-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Dear Andrea....
Now... that's regular shipping or overnight?
Looking forward to seeing her....soon I hope!
Like your display setup, don't be so rough on
your stylus with those wonderful brushstrokes!
Take care friend,
Steve

justjean
03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Beautiful beginnings, and my gosh how did you break your pen I thought they were indestructible , my dog chewed mine up a few years ago and it still works :D

Caesar
03-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Dear Andrea, I'm very sorry for Your pen (and I recalled I should change the tip since long time), since it's absolutely teasing what You showed us to be going on over there! What You got this far it's already amazing!
Due due to the scarce precision, in particular of my secondary tablet, I mostly take around, with the pen, unless I proceed with shorter more controlled lines enlarging (thus a less immediate approach), personally I found out that mouse can also be very effective, provided You continuously change sheet size as needed by the fact that You have a limited range of wrist movements to keep where accuracy, precision (and straight lines)may be gotten.

Alexandra
03-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Sorry about your Pen Andrea.
The painting is beautiful.

AndreaMG
03-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Thanks Dear Steve, the photo was taken before the accident as I wanted to show off my new set up (this is the first painting done with it :cool:). The new pen should hopefully arrive within few days.

Thank you Dear Jean, that pen of yours must have been delicious! :):) Unfortunately I accidentally dropped mone on the ground and then I smashed it with my rocking chair...

Thanks Dear Caesar, don't wait too much in changing your tip 'cause if it gets too short it might be trapped inside forever and ever unless you ask for Mr. Ploos help :cool:

Thanks Dear Alexandra, it's not such a big deal for the pen. I officially invite you here again to look at the finish product :)

Ooopsss, almost forgot, since I admit it can be confusing, the painting is the one on the left (kiddin' :cool:)!

Kia ora!

gxhpainter2
03-04-2014, 04:59 AM
AndreaMG...oops!... sorry to hear about your pen, looks like an Intuous 5 ? interesting setup for monitors.. what size are they? Now that is a digital artists dream!... can't wait to see the painting..

AndreaMG
03-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks Dear Gary, it's an Intuos Pro M, unfortunately in portrait mode the edges aren't rounded so it's not as comfy as in landscape mode (what were they thinking? :mad:). Anyhow, they are both 27" 16:9 monitors, the only problem with this set up are landscape paintings, but since I'm a portrait painter...:). Plus the monitor in vertical allows me to zoom in less frequently and having in the left monitor the reference in 1:1 helps me to paint a lot faster ;). Kia Ora!

gxhpainter2
03-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dear Gary, it's an Intuos Pro M, unfortunately in portrait mode the edges aren't rounded so it's not as comfy as in landscape mode (what were they thinking? :mad:). Anyhow, they are both 27" 16:9 monitors, the only problem with this set up are landscape paintings, but since I'm a portrait painter...:). Plus the monitor in vertical allows me to zoom in less frequently and having in the left monitor the reference in 1:1 helps me to paint a lot faster ;). Kia Ora! wow what a nice setup... I have been toying with the idea of a 27" monitor from Dell that has already been color calibrated and has 100% of the Adobe RGB colorspace.. as this is our main canvas I guess I should just pull the trigger and get it...nothing more frustrating to me than to work hard at getting just the color balance I want and then print it only to have color shifts... they are close but off enough that it bugs me...:cool::cool:

D Akey
03-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow! I didn't reply before because I couldn't make out that those are 2 monitors on end. Do you have it set up where it works as 1 big screen like pushing twin beds together in a cheap motel in some romantic comedy?. . . Amazingly creative. I have one 27 inch iMac and it's quite nice. And I have a very old tiny graphire Wacom, which is good enough for now, especially since I mostly use the mouse. Some day I'll step into the 21st century.

I think it's going to take me a while to get over my jealousy and start taking some funds from my music gear and directing it at computers. Toys toys toys. . . Phew!

Thanks for sharing your set up. Oddly it gives me some insight into your work knowing you have a lot of ground to cover with your strokes. So I could see where you might come upon the idea to overlap long strokes and leave them intact. Would fit with the set up you have. Cool!

copespeak
03-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I've got a 27" Dell XPS all-in-one Touchscreen and bought a Spyder calibrator for printing, but the colour is so accurate I don't need to use it. I do print through Photoshop though.

Having a second screen sounds very luxurious! :cool:

coops
03-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Wow thats fantastic:)

AndreaMG
03-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Thank you guys, I did't want to brag, just wanted to show the setup ;).

Don't' be jealous dear D, besides even 27" monitors are dirty cheap these days, I should be the one to be jealous since I would easily trade my setup to earn your way with words :cool:.

The two monitors do not have high sRGB %, but they do have high static contrast ratio being VA panel (around 3.000 and 5.000 respectively) and that's all it matters to me.

As far as the printing I think digital should remain in its realm and maybe in the distant future where it will be more broadly accepted I imagine 8k super thin oled monitors hanging from the walls of a museum showing our masterpieces :cool:

AndreaMG
03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
I've watched countless times the "Whale Rider", so I decided to paint a Maori girl (credit to photographer Jimmy Nelson and his project "Before they pass away").
I dedicate this one to our Dear friend Eighty+, who adopted the maori Kia ora" greeting :cool: STATTE BBUONO ;)

This other one is a painting of Q'orianka Kilcher known for the role of Pocahontas in epic Terrence Malick's "The New World". This is more stylized :p

copespeak
03-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Andrea, I LOVE 'The Whale Rider" too. Such a glorious film, which I haven't seen for quite a while and must chase up. I took myself off to the movies years ago to see it on my own, and just couldn't explain to those who hadn't seen it how wonderful it was. You just had to see it.

I think your Maori girl is terrific, and love the browns and the chunky lines, they illustrate her heritage so well.

I'm not sure I've seen 'The New World', but Pocahontas is a well known character. I love the strong features and culture of both Maori and Native American. Well done! :cool:

justjean
03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Wonderful paintings as always Andrea but I LOVE how you have painted the Maori Girl :) When I grow young again that's how I would like to paint ;)

eighty+
03-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi Andy I like them Both and prefer This type of oil painting as it look's like a painting not photo ok I keep trying with the oil brush but up to now no joy

or as painting I haven't got the nerve to stay with it ok congrats ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D KIA ORA SLAINTE STATTE BBUONE......Si..........Si

eighty+
03-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi Jean You and me both when we grow young again ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D KIA ORA SLAINTE STATTE BBUONE....Si............Si

D Akey
03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
How in the heck to you can stick a woman's head in a bucket of oatmeal:

http://www.runwaydaily.com/.a/6a00e54ed9ed5388330154367924c6970c-350wi

And somehow have them end up looking like:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/52/0e/1f/520e1fdf70bffc981c76ef893eec23bf.jpg

You're a freaking magician. . . Beautiful beautiful. . .Bravo! (although it's unnatural)

SilverO
03-09-2014, 11:58 AM
waah this is really beautiful, I like how you painted the faces. It looks really good;)

haha You weren't bragging Andrea, I always like seeing others people desks, yours is really nice, makes me jealous:p

coops
03-10-2014, 12:01 AM
These are really beautiful paintings, I especially like the Maori girl:)

Caesar
03-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Here she is finally! Thanks god You have Your pen back and working! And what an additional beauty follows her! Applause, maestro!

AndreaMG
03-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Thank you so much Dear Robyn :cool: I've got an incoming surprise for you :D

Thank you Dear Jean, you make me blush :o

Thank you Dear E+!! Don't give up with oils, but I have to admit it's very difficult approach (at least to me :p). STATTE BUONO and KIA ORA! ;)

Ah ah, Thank you Dear D!!!!!!!!

Thank you Dear SilverO. Be strong like a Maori would!

Thank you so much Madame Coops :cool:

Thank you Dear Caesar, you are the Maestro, I'm just your humble Student :cool:

AndreaMG
03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
This is for our Dear friend Robyn. I had to ask her to get off her whale for a minute :cool:

copespeak
03-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Oh wow, she is just stunning Andrea! Almost brought tears to my eyes. Lovely, lovely ....... those dreamy eyes and that explosion of hair! :)

SilverO
03-10-2014, 09:32 AM
This is really gorgeous, I really like your painting style.
Those curly brush strokes make it really special :)

justjean
03-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Beautiful with great expression in her face

stevemawmv
03-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi Andrea,
A wonderful set of paintings....
Nicely done,
Steve

Caesar
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Exceptional! Wild brushstrokes and light rays who concentrate more and more disciplined towards the focus to compose such an expression-intense and beatiful face! Among the best ever in here I think! Genes and chromosomes from so many Italian masters, quite a battalion among the greatest painters, must have been activated and are shining in You!