PDA

View Full Version : Imposing

Jules
09-30-2013, 10:25 AM
A freehand painting using Artrage 4 for the first time.

I've added the settings I used for the tree.

Clearer Image: URL here http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z169/spookyjules/Helmsleyfreehand.png

stevemawmv
09-30-2013, 12:04 PM
'Eerie', Well done!
I enjoyed visiting your gallery,
Steve

D Akey
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Good to see you again Jules, even if it's for a drive by haunting. Hallowwweeeeeennnnnnn is nigh. . .

I can see this is a cool pic, but remember that a number of us have Macs and the monitors tend to display darker than PC (I'm assuming you're on PC, especially knowing there has never been an issue of values with your work for me).

West Yorkshire is it? Live at Leeds are ye? I can hear your accent now. Charming. So how close are you to Manchester? Cause there was a TV sit com over here for years called Frasier and he had a housekeeper from Manchester who his brother was nuts over. And while he and his brother had rather thick elitist educated Bostonian accents (I think), she sounded very genuine blue collar by contrast to their affected blue blood and it created a tone that was a hoot listening to how they could all sound so different and their personal agendas be from opposite ends of the planet. Was a very light-hearted dance. Accents are one of the things about humans I consistently enjoy.

Jules
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
'Eerie', Well done!
I enjoyed visiting your gallery,
Steve

Thanks Steve!! Much appreciated ;)

Jules
09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Good to see you again Jules, even if it's for a drive by haunting. Hallowwweeeeeennnnnnn is nigh. . .

I can see this is a cool pic, but remember that a number of us have Macs and the monitors tend to display darker than PC (I'm assuming you're on PC, especially knowing there has never been an issue of values with your work for me).

West Yorkshire is it? Live at Leeds are ye? I can hear your accent now. Charming. So how close are you to Manchester? Cause there was a TV sit com over here for years called Frasier and he had a housekeeper from Manchester who his brother was nuts over. And while he and his brother had rather thick elitist educated Bostonian accents (I think), she sounded very genuine blue collar by contrast to their affected blue blood and it created a tone that was a hoot listening to how they could all sound so different and their personal agendas be from opposite ends of the planet. Was a very light-hearted dance. Accents are one of the things about humans I consistently enjoy.

D Akey!! Aye up, haha! It's me again, Yorkshire Lass, bye ek (I don't really sound like this although I do have a decent accent) lol.
Drive by hauntings, I like that idea haha.. ah I didn't know that about the monitors, yeh I generally use a PC for my work. It is a really dark image, usually I work pretty bright.
West Yorks yeh Waky (near Wakefield) Google it ;) I've heard of Frasier but never watched it. Where you from again?

coops
10-01-2013, 02:15 AM
East Yorkshire here Jules lol. Its good to see you again and love the mood of this painting, well done:)

spinning
10-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Hey, been lurking here for some time, being an amateur, but this is the first time i post.
I'm more interested in how you got that dark blue "nebulous" feel to the sky, Jules. Maybe its very simple but i was trying recently and couldn't get the same glow as you did.

Jules
10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
East Yorkshire here Jules lol. Its good to see you again and love the mood of this painting, well done:)
Hi Coops, ah great! Another Yorkshire lass lol. Thanks, its nice to be remembered on the forum. Glad you like. ;) Have a great day.

Jules
10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey, been lurking here for some time, being an amateur, but this is the first time i post.
I'm more interested in how you got that dark blue "nebulous" feel to the sky, Jules. Maybe its very simple but i was trying recently and couldn't get the same glow as you did.

Welcome and well...thanks for posting. Yes, I created a layer, using the paint tool painted some strokes, dark on the edges and working lighter inwards. Then I used the hard wet blender.
Originally I put the moon behind the tree but didnt like the composition so blended that in so, it looks like there is luminance from the moon to the left. Makes the sky look more moody. So
was a mistake that worked. ;)

SCP
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Great effect,nice work Jules.:cool:

Alexandra
10-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Great work Jules, good to see ya!

D Akey
10-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Hahah Aye up, chuck. . . <--- I first heard that recently in a behind the scenes video of a group of Sheffield lads you may have heard of = Def Leppard when they put Taylor Swift up to saying it to their drummer for a laugh. I laughed and so did he.

I'm from Los Angeles and the accent among the whites is indistinguishable from the generic accents of Newscasters here -- where they do their best to remove any regional sound. So might say we're dull as toast. Probably why I love other people's accents so much. You all sound like you're all so stylish even when hollering your fool heads off -- sort of theatrical. . .

Good hunting with your chasing ghosts on your bicycle. Who needs modern equipment to tap into the paranormal, eh?

Edit:
By the way, wasn't a very early name for a bicycle a "bone shaker"? We'll have to get you one with those huge wheels in the front and tiny ones in the back. Talk about style. . . You could really wade through the ectoplasm on one of them. . .

http://www.oldbike.eu/wordpress/?page_id=5277

http://travelphotobase.com/v/USPA/PATF521.HTM

Jules
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Great effect,nice work Jules.:cool:
Thanks SCP :D

Jules
10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Great work Jules, good to see ya!
Aww thanks Alexandra! ;)

Jules
10-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Hahah Aye up, chuck. . . <--- I first heard that recently in a behind the scenes video of a group of Sheffield lads you may have heard of = Def Leppard when they put Taylor Swift up to saying it to their drummer for a laugh. I laughed and so did he.

I'm from Los Angeles and the accent among the whites is indistinguishable from the generic accents of Newscasters here -- where they do their best to remove any regional sound. So might say we're dull as toast. Probably why I love other people's accents so much. You all sound like you're all so stylish even when hollering your fool heads off -- sort of theatrical. . .

Good hunting with your chasing ghosts on your bicycle. Who needs modern equipment to tap into the paranormal, eh?

Edit:
By the way, wasn't a very early name for a bicycle a "bone shaker"? We'll have to get you one with those huge wheels in the front and tiny ones in the back. Talk about style. . . You could really wade through the ectoplasm on one of them. . .

http://www.oldbike.eu/wordpress/?page_id=5277

http://travelphotobase.com/v/USPA/PATF521.HTM

LOL!!! that made me chuckle, I have to say I've never chased a ghost on my bike before but there is always the first time haha!! Your from LA wow! I have heard also that the weather is a bit boring over there, relentless sunshine, if only...I would love that although I only like it about 22C. Def Leppard yeh by ek.. Sheffield south Yorkshire haha.
OH the bone shaker, bikes with no gears breaks or suspension lol! Mine is slightly more sophisticated than that :p I have a carbon fibre racing bike. There was a cycling event on in the UK with some olympic athletes, someone turned up on one of those bone shakers wearing all the regalia that goes with that old fashioned look.

Are you on twitter Mr D Akey? ;):p

spinning
10-02-2013, 11:56 PM
:) it works just like that. The 'secret' was that hard wet blender used on oil brush, thanks Jules.
I installed so many custom tools before i even explored all the the standard ones.

D Akey
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
LOL!!! that made me chuckle, I have to say I've never chased a ghost on my bike before but there is always the first time haha!! Your from LA wow! I have heard also that the weather is a bit boring over there, relentless sunshine, if only...I would love that although I only like it about 22C. Def Leppard yeh by ek.. Sheffield south Yorkshire haha.
OH the bone shaker, bikes with no gears breaks or suspension lol! Mine is slightly more sophisticated than that :p I have a carbon fibre racing bike. There was a cycling event on in the UK with some olympic athletes, someone turned up on one of those bone shakers wearing all the regalia that goes with that old fashioned look.

Are you on twitter Mr D Akey? ;):p

No, I fear I am no a Twitter though I am occasionally agog and aghast. . . certainly when meeting a ghast on Halloween. . . and a gog when meeting any diety who flunked out of first grade Spelling.

22C -- Had to look it up and there seem to be lots of hip shot calculations to figure that in Fahrenheit. . . which makes it roughly 71 F. Lovely that. LA sometimes gets that for a few moments on the climb to the 90s and 100s. . . Farenheit. For that brief moment I do feel good though.

As to the bone shakers, I've never been close to a real one. But I was in on the beginning of the skateboard craze the equipment for which was a pulled apart roller skate (not the boot kind) nailed to a foot length of 2x4. Believe me, more automatic than the bone shaker bikes, those skateboards not only shook the bones, they spun you and hung you out to dry. Great fun for a kid actually.

Enjoy the weather and the riding.

Caesar
10-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I enjoyed very much this painting, Your coming back and the exquisitely expressed D Akey's comment and Reply of Yours, although as a foreigner, thus only an initiate in English language subtleties.
I didn't know bikes were addressed to as bone-shakers. I was only worried by the fact that gentlemen may risk, in some unadventurous circumstances, to shake or even squash other and softer parts.

Jules
10-04-2013, 11:55 PM
No, I fear I am no a Twitter though I am occasionally agog and aghast. . . certainly when meeting a ghast on Halloween. . . and a gog when meeting any diety who flunked out of first grade Spelling.

22C -- Had to look it up and there seem to be lots of hip shot calculations to figure that in Fahrenheit. . . which makes it roughly 71 F. Lovely that. LA sometimes gets that for a few moments on the climb to the 90s and 100s. . . Farenheit. For that brief moment I do feel good though.

As to the bone shakers, I've never been close to a real one. But I was in on the beginning of the skateboard craze the equipment for which was a pulled apart roller skate (not the boot kind) nailed to a foot length of 2x4. Believe me, more automatic than the bone shaker bikes, those skateboards not only shook the bones, they spun you and hung you out to dry. Great fun for a kid actually.

Enjoy the weather and the riding.

I enjoyed very much this painting, Your coming back and the exquisitely expressed D Akey's comment and Reply of Yours, although as a foreigner, thus only an initiate in English language subtleties.
I didn't know bikes were addressed to as bone-shakers. I was only worried by the fact that gentlemen may risk, in some unadventurous circumstances, to shake or even squash other and softer parts.

Blush haha!

kenmo
10-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks for posting and sharing this.....