PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Thunderbolt II work in progress

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 03:44 AM
I'm diving full force into Art Rage 4 now. Here's my start for a new painting. 40"x 24" digital oils.

The outlined form is now in and ready to paint.

starting work on the cockpit.

I was a crewchief on KC-135's in the USAF in the late 90's. I got to work on an A-10A while going through USAF technical school at Sheppard AFB, TX. So this aircraft is one of my favorites.

sitting in the cockpit of this venerable aircraft.
servicing the A-10

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 04:15 AM
The "Hog" is teething. working on those awesome teeth.

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Painting the shark mouth on a hog face. The shark mouth has a very long history on military aircraft.

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Rats I keep forgetting there's a Work-In-Progress thread - if the Admin can move this thread over there, it would greatly be appreciated.

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Rats I keep forgetting there's a Work-In-Progress thread - if the Admin can move this thread over there, it would greatly be appreciated.

Shibui
08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Most important... Thank you for your service!!!

Wow , what a sketch and off to a great start. Will look forward to progression!

StratoArt
08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Most important... Thank you for your service!!!

Wow , what a sketch and off to a great start. Will look forward to progression!

Thank you so much! I'm very pleased with the way it's turning out. Here's more progress.

Stage 6: More work before the end of the night. Working on the skin of the aircraft below the canopy and the AN/AAS-35(V) Pave Penny pod. Also work on the false canopy below the fuselage. (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/pave_penny.htm)

StratoArt
08-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Stage 7: working on the fuselage moving aft and underside showing the black bar-VHF/FM homing antenna. Some jokingly call that antenna a "towel rack" or a "headphone holder."

StratoArt
08-28-2013, 04:14 PM
My canvas while working on the painting of the A-10. I'm working with a color palette of Winsor & Newtons with my own mixes as well.

StratoArt
08-28-2013, 04:38 PM
A quick inverted check. I love this about Art Rage - that you can just hit the "V" key and turn the painting upside down instantly. It's important to view your artwork at various angles other than right-side-up. Here's a good read about that here: http://www.finearttips.com/2012/12/struggling-with-your-painting-turn-it-upside-down/

I can also use the Canvas Positioner Gizmo to rotate the canvas in any direction I want and work on it that way. (sorry if I seem teachy here, I'm merely putting it this way for the benefit of those who are new to AR and/or digital painting)

markw
08-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks for doing this thread Dale, its always interesting to see another artists workflow!
What resolution is the painting? I've found on my computer working much bigger than A3 @300dpi (my default for print) and the tool lag starts getting too uncomfortable for me.

StratoArt
08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for doing this thread Dale, its always interesting to see another artists workflow!
What resolution is the painting? I've found on my computer working much bigger than A3 @300dpi (my default for print) and the tool lag starts getting too uncomfortable for me.

You're welcome! And thank you! Well, I draw with the specs. for Fine Art America in mind, that is where I sell my work quite successfully (highly recommend artists use FAA). I made a .PDF guide for artists and photographers who use Fine Art America, but it actually is a good guide for anyone.

Because I do a lot of aviation art and landscapes, I typically work around 40" x 24" or sometimes 40" x 30" at 180 dpi or 200dpi. I don't usually go higher than that because my canvas is very big.

Here's my resolution guide, gleaned from information at Fine Art America, but made in an easy-to-read format: https://app.box.com/s/25du919yagnxh3ptz3lu

markw
08-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for that PDF and saying what resolution you like to work at. Very informative.
Whilst I would never describe myself as a professional I am occasionally asked for work and the printers always ask for 300dpi/ppi images, so I've not really ventured above A3 in size. But your paintings on your website are still looking great even at the lower res. Larger sizes are definitely something for me to experiment with now I think. Thank you.

StratoArt
08-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for that PDF and saying what resolution you like to work at. Very informative.
Whilst I would never describe myself as a professional I am occasionally asked for work and the printers always ask for 300dpi/ppi images, so I've not really ventured above A3 in size. But your paintings on your website are still looking great even at the lower res. Larger sizes are definitely something for me to experiment with now I think. Thank you.

You're welcome!

I even do my work at 180 dpi, but I'm still working at sizes like 40" x 24" and 40" x 30" so even then they still look very good. Fine Art America has a file size capped at 25 mb, so it's rather tricky getting a large print down to a small mb. I'm so used to dealing with huge file sizes with animations (which can exceed 4 GB) at times, and even my original Photoshop layered artwork is in the 100's of mb in size. Since FAA can only accept 25mb or lower to upload, I compromise slightly. 180 dpi or 200 dpi is fine for my tastes because I design my art at real size, I don't work at a lower scale at 300 dpi and then upload usually.

StratoArt
09-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Here is a time-lapse or I think it's called "speed-painting" video of my progress of the A-10. It's not really a speedy painting, it just means that I've sped up the time to within 10 minutes. The actual painting involved is about 45 minutes or so.

http://youtu.be/-ow8c0emlTo

Digital painting of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. A work-in-progress in ArtRage 4. The recording has been sped up. Actual painting time was about 30-50 minutes.

By Dale Jackson 2013 www.StratoArt.com

Recorded with Camtasia.

StratoArt
09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Engine and more of the aft fuselage is done, with it's oil can effect. I'm not quite satisfied with the colors, too much pink in there, but I'll look at it as a whole when it is done and correct colors then. Now on to paint the starboard wing.

One more shot of the work-in-progress of the starboard wing before heading to sleep. Lots of work with the rulers to keep things nice and straight.. I'm just blocking in the initial paint on the wing for now and later will work on the leading edge, the pylon and the flap areas and the wingtip. All the markings will be done last.

StratoArt
09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Pencil study of the background I'm planning on for my A-10 Thunderbolt II painting. A thunderstorm unleashes a torrent of rain over rugged desert terrain. Lightning strikes in the distance.

StratoArt
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Starting to paint the background of my A-10 Thunderbolt II painting. Starting with colors such as Payne's Grey, Mars Black, Sepia, Raw Umber, Brown Ochre, Indian Red, Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Desert Cream (this will be my white for the background). I'm starting at the bottom right corner and working right to left and upward. My pencil study is what I'm following. The study was done to establish light and dark values that I want. It shows a cloud burst of rain from a storm - with lightning at the base in the dark bands of distant rain.

Color setup for the background landscape.

pencil study of light/dark values.

Michael LeMarchant
09-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Nice work !!!!

operated
09-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Gonna be one hell of a painting ,

love how u have all those colour samples at the ready , u can use them on every new painting u create?

like its stored on ur harddisk?

StratoArt
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Gonna be one hell of a painting ,

love how u have all those colour samples at the ready , u can use them on every new painting u create?

like its stored on ur harddisk?

Thank you! Yes, I got those colors from here on this forum under the Art Supplies.

StratoArt
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Working a lot on the background landscape of my A-10 piece. I'm painting a torrent of rain coming down from a local thunderstorm over rugged desert terrain.

StratoArt
09-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Okay! update on the A-10 - lot's of changes!, I've had to step away from it for a while, think about it, come back and redo the landscape, I wasn't pleased how it was going, plus I wanted there to be a feel of motion in it. I still have to do the tail, and some other parts and more work on the landscape, bits of details here and there. But it's getting there!
www.StratoArt.com

gatorgh
10-10-2013, 02:49 PM
You are a master of paint. I admire you.

StratoArt
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
You are a master of paint. I admire you.

Thank you so much! I forgot to post my final painting. A lot on my mind lately, I had a close friend who just passed away.

Here is the final painting.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/thunderbolt-ii-dale-jackson.html

markw
10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you for posting the final painting here. Another fine piece of work by you.
And may I also give my condolences at the passing of your friend.

StratoArt
10-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Thank you for posting the final painting here. Another fine piece of work by you.
And may I also give my condolences at the passing of your friend.

Thank you so much!