PDA

View Full Version : Alcan Pioneer

felixdk
08-11-2013, 03:22 AM
It's been a while since I completed anything in Artrage and a couple of years since I've done an aviation painting. Here's a painting that I just completed, done as a value\color study for an acrylic painting to follow. A photo mapping Beech F-2 of the 1st Photographic Squadron flies over the rugged terrain of the Saint Elias mountain range in Alaska. The F-2s mapped the route of the Alcan Highway, which opened the way to supply the airfields of the Lend Lease routes to Russia during WWII.

copespeak
08-11-2013, 09:33 AM
An ultra realistic rendering of a plane, and so well done! :cool:

operated
08-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Wonderfull painting ,

really love the mountains and how u did the propellors .

coops
08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Excellent work:)

Alexandra
08-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Wow, great work!

pai
08-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Awesome painting, really love the white Alaska mountains as background, that reflects the richness colors of the Beech F-2.

felixdk
08-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Thanks Robyn, operated, coops, Alexandra and pai! The mountains in Alaska are beautiful, but somewhat intimidating to fly over since there are a lot of verticals and not too many flat spaces (just in case you might need one :) ).

sabena
08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi i like very much your painting and i like the contrast of the aeroplane with the moutain . very good work:rolleyes:

kenmo
08-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Wow... I hope you do more aviation images like this... Outstanding work....:cool::cool::cool:

felixdk
08-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks sabena, this was a very enjoyable project from the first research to the actual painting process. The mountains and glaciers proved to be an ideal backdrop for the colors of the aircraft.

Thanks Kenmo, more will follow, but I'm slow as molasses :)

D Akey
08-28-2013, 01:29 AM
What a fine display of expert painting skill. Really informational, which is clearly the main point of doing something like this. But the depth and detail in the ground is also managed very well. It's great how you have used color to separate them all the while putting in so much detail in both the plane and ground.

Love the propellers as well. Great restraint while showing so much detail -- something that could get away from many artists where bits and bobs wouldn't quite fit. This is very well done. Clearer than most photos. Meaning it enhances the viewing experience in that it's grouped very well indeed. Lively colors.

StratoArt
08-28-2013, 02:38 AM
It's been a while since I completed anything in Artrage and a couple of years since I've done an aviation painting. Here's a painting that I just completed, done as a value\color study for an acrylic painting to follow. A photo mapping Beech F-2 of the 1st Photographic Squadron flies over the rugged terrain of the Saint Elias mountain range in Alaska. The F-2s mapped the route of the Alcan Highway, which opened the way to supply the airfields of the Lend Lease routes to Russia during WWII.

Such excellent work!! So glad to see more aviation art here!

damasocl
08-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Wonderful job!
Very well done!!!