Oooohhh! Really interesting Brett. I love it!! :cool:

hypotaxis
07-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Oooohhh! Really interesting Brett. I love it!! :cool:

Thanks Robyn.

Brett

Caesar
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm absolutely delighted and mesmerized by these colors and rolling movement. Fantastic!

hypotaxis
07-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm absolutely delighted and mesmerized by these colors and rolling movement. Fantastic!

Thanks Caesar. I always value your comments.

Brett

limey-g
07-18-2013, 01:17 AM
Well done Brett you really captured the rolling waves.
Geoff

Belvrog
07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Very beautiful!:)

hypotaxis
07-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Geoff and Belvrog.

justjean
07-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Great colours and sense of movement

Marilyn Anne
07-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I like the colors and the sense of motion. Wonderful abstract quality.

hypotaxis
07-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks JustJean and Marilyn.

Brett

D Akey
07-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Brilliant. Highly dynamic. Awesome color choices in addition to the shape and watercolor effect. Unexpected and artistic. Not particularly storm were I trying to think up images for a storm. However, it's actually better for me because it gives me pause and suggests a whole new direction of visual thinking that you have been carving out. At least it seems very fresh to me in modern times. The symbolic nature of this reminds me of some of the more interesting mid-century artists that I saw in world films in Italy and Japan in particular, and some art roiling around in the USA at that time as well.

hypotaxis
07-18-2013, 10:44 PM
The symbolic nature of this reminds me of some of the more interesting mid-century artists that I saw in world films in Italy and Japan in particular, and some art roiling around in the USA at that time as well.

Thanks Mr Dakey.

Can you name some names for the art you mention please? I would like to look.

I also owe a huge debt to Frank Webb, my art is very different from his, but I learned a great deal from his teaching books and I still do even after ten years of continually reading them.

Brett

D Akey
07-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Thanks Mr Dakey.

Can you name some names for the art you mention please? I would like to look.

I also owe a huge debt to Frank Webb, my art is very different from his, but I learned a great deal from his teaching books and I still do even after ten years of continually reading them.

Brett

I looked him up. (psst... I prefer what you're doing) even though his stuff was probably pushing the envelope for his time and we can't lose sight of those contributions from the old schoolers.

Who can I think of specifically? I can't. I did a couple searches and the images in my memory are anonymous, not because they were, but because I can't remember one in that context. And certainly none were watercolorists per say. It often worked out that these artists would do one particular image that I would be bowled over by and when I went to look at their other stuff, those other pieces lacked the quality that piqued my interest. Or I just caught something in a textbook or anthology with an isolated pic the author chose to make his own point. Also sometimes these images were in movies as sets that I saw long before I paid attention to those names.

I think what's in my mind is a synthesis of lots of pictures, symbolic, avante garde, beat generation, mystical, metaphoric, allegoric. . . you know, the road less traveled, even by themselves in a lot of cases. A sort of William Blake meets Henry Moore meets Federico Fellini had a drink with Picasso while listening to Alan Ginsberg and the Dhalai Lama, who then gave their combined wisdom to some garret dweller who when he painted the ultimate painting went off to live in a cave somewhere to paint bison on the rock wall. I'm thinking bold shapes, bold colors, not too ornate, powerful statements in their simplicity, but with enough mystery about them to intrigue.

Not saying your stuff is inaccessible. Not in the least. I'm just mystified why most of these painters sort of disappeared without a lot of places in Art History books. The good news about that is that the field is wide open -- something that can't often be said about juicy artistic directions.

I must say that while those images are the ones that have stuck in my head throughout the years and it's possibly because they have touched something in me that's a little more essential and a lot less verbal.

Sorry to confuse the issue. But it's a rather elusive style of art by nature I think. And when you find some that you like, go have a creative 'pow-wow' with them through their work.

hypotaxis
07-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Frank Webb is very didactic but very clear and practical about the basics of watercolours. And his book on composition is really excellent for the same reasons. I found them a great starting point. I also find his style very provocative for me.

Brett

coops
07-19-2013, 10:23 PM
I love this painting, it is so powerful, well done:)

hypotaxis
07-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Thank you Katie

Brett

pai
07-20-2013, 10:47 AM
first thought came to my mind is that oriental art feel. love your color palette that it somehow blended so well in your brush movements. somehow I see the waves and fire are trying to balance each others :)

hypotaxis
07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
first thought came to my mind is that oriental art feel. love your color palette that it somehow blended so well in your brush movements. somehow I see the waves and fire are trying to balance each others :)
Ah I like that interpretation. Thanks Pai!

Brett

Mairzie Dotes
07-20-2013, 12:36 PM
hypotaxis,
In agreement, there is a definite flow of energy and motion as the waves
seem to heave then recoil it's powerful presence. Beautifully done and
love those fluid colors. :D

hypotaxis
07-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Mairzie Dotes!

And Dozie Dotes
And little Lamzie Tivy
A kiddulee tivy too
Wooden you

I remember my father teaching me that waaaay back when ... :-)