PDA

View Full Version : I need a finger for my pencil work

Den_er_da_hvid
07-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone

I am sketching out a steampunk theme picture with a robot (see below). I was just putting in where I wanted some of the shadows and it felt kind of nice working with the pencil, so perhaps I will do the hole picture with pencil when I am ready to finish it off... The thing is, I tried to use the palette tool as a stub/finger to rubb the pencil lines and getting a nice blended look, but not much happened...

Does anyone know how I can get a finger in Artrage?

copespeak
07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Good blender. I got this from a member a while ago and use it all the time. :)

Someonesane
07-16-2013, 09:06 AM
I created some presets that may help. I've put them all into a .arpack which may be downloaded from HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaivw5ad7o19cnm/Pencil%20Pack%20Updated%2015july2013.arpack?dl=0). Just save it to your computer and then double click on the file. Your computer should recognize the file as belonging to ArtRage and then open the program for you, where it will then walk you through the rest of the installation process for whichever items in the pack you'd like to save.

In the screen shot below, you'll see the list of items that it has to offer, and a quick picture I drew using only the presets within the package. The first group shown in the list holds Sticker Spray presets that I designed to emulate a pencil. To use them, select the Sticker Spray tool, open the Presets panel and open the group named "Pencil Pack". The second group shown in the list, only holds a single sticker sheet. Odds are good, you'll never need to find that file, because its sole purpose is for use with the Sticker Spray Presets in the group I just mentioned. Should you need to find it however, open the Sticker Sheet panel and locate the group named "Pencil Pack". The third group shown has three presets for the Palette Knife tool that are probably the most relevant to your question. They're designed to spread and blur out the pencil marks, similar to a tortillon stub tool (or your finger).

Den_er_da_hvid
07-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I created some presets that may help. I've put them all into a .arpack which may be downloaded from HERE (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27387217/Pencil%20Pack%20Updated%2015july2013.arpack). Just save it to your computer and then double click on the file. Your computer should recognize the file as belonging to ArtRage and then open the program for you, where it will then walk you through the rest of the installation process for whichever items in the pack you'd like to save.

Thank you Someonesane, but Artrage tells me, that the package is either not correct format or is damaged....

markw
07-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi Den_er_da_hvid
Strange, I just downloaded it and it installed fine for me in AR4.0.4.
Have you tried downloading it again? It could be that the package was corrupted in the downloading process. Rare, but it can happen.

Someonesane
07-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Thank you Someonesane, but Artrage tells me, that the package is either not correct format or is damaged....

As Markw mentioned, there's a possibility that the file became corrupted when you downloaded it. If you've already tried to download the file again and it still didn't work, it probably means you're working off of an older version of ArtRage then I am. Let me know if you still can't get it to work and I'll get them to you another way. Information that would be helpful:

• What version of the ArtRage program are you using?
• Do you happen to have winrar or some other method of opening a .rar file type?

Den_er_da_hvid
07-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Thank you, you are all so kind :-)

I just tried to download it again, and it was the same. I am using artrage pro 3.5.5. And I do have winrar.

As Markw mentioned, there's a possibility that the file became corrupted when you downloaded it. If you've already tried to download the file again and it still didn't work, it probably means you're working off of an older version of ArtRage then I am. Let me know if you still can't get it to work and I'll get them to you another way. Information that would be helpful:

• What version of the ArtRage program are you using?
• Do you happen to have winrar or some other method of opening a .rar file type?

Someonesane
07-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Thank you, you are all so kind :-)

No problem :)

Let's give the package system one last go. I repackaged the presets using an old version of ArtRage 3 I have. Hopefully your version of AR3 will be able to read it that way. You (and anyone else with AR3 looking to try these presets) may download the arpack from here: LINK (https://www.dropbox.com/s/522yf1erf7dzv34/Pencil%20Pack%20AR3%20version.arpack?dl=0).

Let me know if it works out. If not, we'll have to do it the hard way by dropping all of the files into a .rar file, and then you'll need to drop each of the files into proper folders (if you're comfortable with file extensions and folder directories), or do it all one at a time by hand in ArtRage itself. I should note however, that it may be that the presets won't work at all, since I made them using AR4 (though I did test some of them in the version of AR3 I used to repack them and they seemed alright). We'll get to that after we know whether or not the arpack above works.

royblumenthal
07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Wow! What a cool set of presets! The three blenders are very cool too! Much appreciated!

dpallee
08-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Great package. It took a moment to get oriented to where they were, but got them installed and they work great.

Den_er_da_hvid
08-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Thank you Someonesane

You are so awesome!! :-)

Now the artrage magic begins Muahahaha...

Let's give the package system one last go. I repackaged the presets using an old version of ArtRage 3 I have. Hopefully your version of AR3 will be able to read it that way. You (and anyone else with AR3 looking to try these presets) may download the arpack from here: LINK (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27387217/Pencil%20Pack%20AR3%20version.arpack).

Let me know if it works out. If not, we'll have to do it the hard way by dropping all of the files into a .rar file, and then you'll need to drop each of the files into proper folders (if you're comfortable with file extensions and folder directories), or do it all one at a time by hand in ArtRage itself. I should note however, that it may be that the presets won't work at all, since I made them using AR4 (though I did test some of them in the version of AR3 I used to repack them and they seemed alright). We'll get to that after we know whether or not the arpack above works.

Someonesane
08-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Wow! What a cool set of presets! The three blenders are very cool too! Much appreciated!

Glad you like them. Have fun!

Great package. It took a moment to get oriented to where they were, but got them installed and they work great.

Thank you Someonesane

You are so awesome!! :-)

Now the artrage magic begins Muahahaha...

No problem. I hope they'll work out for the style you intended to work in.

martyl
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I created some presets that may help. I've put them all into a .arpack which may be downloaded from HERE (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27387217/Pencil%20Pack%20Updated%2015july2013.arpack). Just save it to your computer and then double click on the file. Your computer should recognize the file as belonging to ArtRage and then open the program for you, where it will then walk you through the rest of the installation process for whichever items in the pack you'd like to save.

In the screen shot below, you'll see the list of items that it has to offer, and a quick picture I drew using only the presets within the package. The first group shown in the list holds Sticker Spray presets that I designed to emulate a pencil. To use them, select the Sticker Spray tool, open the Presets panel and open the group named "Pencil Pack". The second group shown in the list, only holds a single sticker sheet. Odds are good, you'll never need to find that file, because its sole purpose is for use with the Sticker Spray Presets in the group I just mentioned. Should you need to find it however, open the Sticker Sheet panel and locate the group named "Pencil Pack". The third group shown has three presets for the Palette Knife tool that are probably the most relevant to your question. They're designed to spread and blur out the pencil marks, similar to a tortillon stub tool (or your finger).

Just wanted to add my thanks for a great set of tools. Especially the blenders.

Aunt_Betsy
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks Someonesane for the great pencil and blender tools! I haven't made anything with them yet, but I did a little testing and they look like they will be very useful and time saving.

Thanks again,
Betsy

Greeneyes
11-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you so very much for these what a great set.Love them

messina33
01-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you so much someonesane, these are wonderful, I have tried sketching with the regular pencil tool but haven't been able to get the effect I was looking for.

Alison :)

aft
01-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Den_er_da_hvid, is the robot based off of Blitzcrank from League of Legends? They look very similar :) nice work

Shezza
04-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Love these brushes Someonesane. Thanks for sharing. :)

Someonesane
04-06-2014, 08:17 AM

valdespoir
04-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Hello Someonesane,

I'm not an English native speaker, but I think that 'to get a finger frome someone(sane)' normally isn't to nice. I'm more than happy with though. I just started with my Bamboo Pen & Touch M and ArtRage yesterday and found your package accidentally. I'm falling in one surprise after the other using this software (and as much questions too....) but this package is boss. Thanks a lot!

Someonesane
04-27-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm not an English native speaker, but I think that 'to get a finger frome someone(sane)' normally isn't to nice. I'm more than happy with though. I just started with my Bamboo Pen & Touch M and ArtRage yesterday and found your package accidentally. I'm falling in one surprise after the other using this software (and as much questions too....) but this package is boss. Thanks a lot!

Hi valdespoir,

lol... Yes, in most cases, getting "the finger" from someone wouldn't be very polite. I'm glad you're finding the presets useful and having fun with ArtRage :)

MKROOT
05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Great package, very helpful :)

StratoArt
08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Excellent!! I've been looking for a good pencil and pencil blender artpack. Thanks! I just got it loaded into the my new ArtRage 4.5

Bertrude
08-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Hmmm. I can't get the pack to install. I think it's trying to install the items into Someonesane's user directory...

StratoArt
08-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Hmmm. I can't get the pack to install. I think it's trying to install the items into Someonesane's user directory...

oh, actually, mine was installed to another directory under my user/documents - like that - but I kind of like all those things put in the ArtRage folder itself, so I moved mine. I did notice that when I installed the art pack it opened up the old 4.0.6 version.

It works fine in 4.5, but you probably need to put it in the appropriate folder under: C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 4\Resources But that's just me, I like those files to be there instead of other places.

Bertrude
08-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I think it's a bit different for me, as the installer won't go any further. Could be a Windows/Mac difference thing. Thank you for your reply though :)

StratoArt
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I think it's a bit different for me, as the installer won't go any further. Could be a Windows/Mac difference thing. Thank you for your reply though :)

oh, yeah, you're probably right. I used to be on a Mac Pro professionally, and was having some difficulties like that a while back. I'm all Windows now.

Someonesane
08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Okay, that's an odd one...

It's listing a directory that was from my old computer (which that particular arpack was created with, before getting my current system). I'm not sure why it's trying to install the files there or even why it has that directory information stored, at all. My only guess is that the arpack isn't compatible with whichever version of ArtRage you're using. I just cleaned out my own content folder, downloaded the pack, and installed it with no problems at all. Considering that this is a new computer, it sort of reinforces the idea that it's probably related to the version of the program. Bertrude, what version of ArtRage are you using? I may be able to recreate the arpack using a version of ArtRage that matches yours.

StratoArt, I'm guessing the issue you had with it being stored in a different location, was probably caused by having the two different versions of ArtRage on your computer. Some of the older versions of ArtRage kept user created content in different folders (app data folder vs Document folders, etc). But I can only make assumptions. We'll need to have the AR team chime in, to really know what's going on here, I think.

(EDIT) - Being on Mac shouldn't affect the use of the arpack. They're supposed to work for both.

StratoArt
08-12-2014, 10:35 AM
StratoArt, I'm guessing the issue you had with it being stored in a different location, was probably caused by having the two different versions of ArtRage on your computer. Some of the older versions of ArtRage kept user created content in different folders (app data folder vs Document folders, etc). But I can only make assumptions. We'll need to have the AR team chime in, to really know what's going on here, I think.

Yep, that was exactly the reason, as of right now I didn't uninstall the older 4.0 just yet. I guess I will now that I'm on 4.5. I'm fairly certain you are correct about the older versions of ArtRage keeping custom content in different folders. To be honest, though I've worked on both Win and Mac machines for a long time, I do like the structure of the Mac organization, but I like the versatility of Windows. But I'm not going to start a war on the subject, I'm just ambidextrous. That being said, I DON'T like the appdata folder that's in these newer Windows. I just like all my stuff in one easy to find place.

Bertrude
08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Bertrude, what version of ArtRage are you using?

I just updated today so I'm on 4.5.0 (64 Bit). The pack is called 'Pencil Pack Updated 15july2013.arpack', so yeah it pre-dates the latest update. I've tried the AR3 set you also linked to but got the same error.

For what it's worth I've just tried installing a different arpack (Juz's Oil Brushes) for comparison and got the same error. The installer is also showing a location based on Juz's computer (also Windows by the look of it) so maybe that's normal or perhaps there a bug in the Mac version of ArtRage that's not redirecting the pack contents to the appropriate folder on the Mac?

Someonesane
08-12-2014, 11:40 AM
I think you may have stumbled onto a bug related to the Mac, then. I'm a part of the current beta group, so I'll make a post in the testing forum to bring it to the AR teams attention and point them to this thread. They may contact you for more information or to offer you further assistance if it turns out that it isn't a bug of some sort.

Bertrude
08-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Nice one. Thanks for the help.

Someonesane
08-12-2014, 12:13 PM
That being said, I DON'T like the appdata folder that's in these newer Windows. I just like all my stuff in one easy to find place.

You are not alone on that, lol. Just finding the appdata folder on my new Windows 8.1 machine was a hassle. I don't know what they (Microsoft) are thinking sometimes...

Someonesane
08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice one. Thanks for the help.

No problem. I made the post in the beta area, so hopefully it'll get sorted out for you soon.

MattRage
08-12-2014, 12:17 PM

We've found a problem with the OSX version reading Windows packages and we'll get that resolved for our .1 update soon.

Update: Problem found and fixed. It related to some changes in how we handle file paths internally in order to modernise our OS X file support. The OS X function for converting a path to a filename was having problems with the Windows path stored in the package so I've written a workaround to fix it. We will be releasing an update in the next day or two to resolve issues that have been found since launch and this will be fixed in that build.

Bertrude
08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Awesome. Stirling work guys :)

In the meantime I've got around it by re-installing 4.0.6 and changing the name so it doesn't overwrite the 4.5 installation. The packs install fine and then when I open up 4.5 they're all there for use.

DaveRage
08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
We've released an update to solve this problem, so if you download the latest version from the member area ( 4.5.1 ) at http://members.artrage.com you should be able to install the package file.

StratoArt
08-13-2014, 09:22 PM
We've released an update to solve this problem, so if you download the latest version from the member area ( 4.5.1 ) at http://members.artrage.com you should be able to install the package file.

Just saw that and downloaded that update, thank you guys for your speed and making an awesome program! I have fallen in love with ArtRage!! And I say that as a professional graphic designer who has been using Photoshop for 20+ years and painting in it for the last 10 years. Thank you all for making a powerfully great painting tool that I can wear in my digital art tool belt.

dzines
09-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Is this still available for download? I tried to click the link, but the dropbox page made it appear as if there is no file?

markw
09-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Yes it is still available.
I just tried it and downloaded fine. Not sure what may have happened for you but try it again.

koalablue
09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Fabulous set of pencils. Thank you so much for your kindness.

Someonesane
09-08-2014, 03:31 AM
Fabulous set of pencils. Thank you so much for your kindness.

No problem. Glad you like them :cool:

Rachelle
02-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Let's give the package system one last go. I repackaged the presets using an old version of ArtRage 3 I have. Hopefully your version of AR3 will be able to read it that way. You (and anyone else with AR3 looking to try these presets) may download the arpack from here: LINK (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27387217/Pencil%20Pack%20AR3%20version.arpack).

:) :) :) Thank you 'for the finger', Someonesane :) :) :) :) :) :)

What fun I'll have exploring these pencils. Thanks for having packaged a version for ArtRage 3.
I get the same weird message of "Success! the pack failed at downloading...." when it's a pack formated for later versions, as I first found out with Fashmir's brushes. I'll soon ask him if he can offer a AR3 version of his pack.

..It's a real celebration day: I had NEVER EVER downloaded any packs before today! I've been using ArtRage Studio Pro for two years now, with laptop and mouse, no addition whatsoever. Why didn't I ever take the time to fetch additional packs before!?!??
...Oh, probably because I was already having so much fun with ArtRage anyway.:rolleyes:

Someonesane
02-07-2015, 11:58 AM
:) :) :) Thank you 'for the finger', Someonesane :) :) :) :) :) :)

What fun I'll have exploring these pencils. Thanks for having packaged a version for ArtRage 3.
I get the same weird message of "Success! the pack failed at downloading...." when it's a pack formated for later versions, as I first found out with Fashmir's brushes. I'll soon ask him if he can offer a AR3 version of his pack.

..It's a real celebration day: I had NEVER EVER downloaded any packs before today! I've been using ArtRage Studio Pro for two years now, with laptop and mouse, no addition whatsoever. Why didn't I ever take the time to fetch additional packs before!?!??
...Oh, probably because I was already having so much fun with ArtRage anyway.:rolleyes:

Hi Rachelle and welcome to the ArtRage forums :)

I'm glad you're enjoying your time exploring the ARpacks and my pencil pack, in particular. If you're looking to explore with some more pencil-like Sticker Spray presets, feel free to also try my Sketch Brushes ARpack on This Page (http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?38133-Sketch-Brush-Sticker-Spray-presets&p=386581#post386581). I believe I made them with AR Studio Pro, so you should have no trouble unpacking them. If you do, however, let me know and I'll try to repack them for you. Also, do keep in mine that I tend to favor a preset with Pressure control (as a tablet user), so many of them are designed to get a varying look to them, via applied pressure on a stylus. So do experiment with the variations panel for them a little, so you don't miss out on any of the intricacies they may afford.

Rachelle
02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
:D thank you SOS :)

FelixA7
03-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi! I'm a relatively new Artrage user and have never downloaded a package of presets (or tools) for use with the program. I love what I can see of this pencil set. But I can't get it to open. The download completed smoothly. But when I tried to open the file, it prompted me to use an "App Store" application. It did not list Artrage in the "other programs" list. And when I tried to open the file from within Artrage, that didn't work either.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on a Surface 3.

Any suggestions on how I can open the file? Any help would be appreciated.

Enug
03-11-2015, 12:44 PM
If you click on the download icon - looks like a box tied with a green ribbon - it will open ArtRage and all you have to do is check the boxes and it will automatically install the presets.

HannahRage
03-11-2015, 01:04 PM
If that's not working, go to File > Install Package File and browse to open the downloaded .arpack (check that the file you downloaded does have an .arpack extension).

There's a walkthrough tutorial here, if you need to check what you're seeing against the steps: http://artrageteam.deviantart.com/art/Installing-Package-Files-in-ArtRage-415969643

If that doesn't work, can you link the file you downloaded? Does it look like a green gift icon? What version of ArtRage do you have?

FelixA7
03-11-2015, 02:57 PM
I got it to work! Thanks everybody. I'm using artrage 4.5. For some reason, when I opened the downloaded file, I was prompted to go to the App Store. As I mentioned, "open with Other programs" did not include artrage. But I hunted around and found program files and then opened Artrage. The preset package appeared immediately and I was able to activate it. Thanks!

HannahRage
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it!

Holly
04-14-2015, 12:07 AM
I'd love to check out this blender but the link no longer goes to it. Is there any way to get the blender? Thank you!
:)

Good blender. I got this from a member a while ago and use it all the time. :)

Holly
04-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Thank you someone sane. You've helped me to feel more sane by providing these blenders, which are far better than anything that comes standard in AR. I especially like Blender #2. These blenders work not only on pencil, but on the pastel and paints too. I haven't yet tried them on the pens or anything else yet, but I'll bet they work on those too. It's so awesome of you to share your fantastic creations with everyone. I love your grass stickers too! I wish I knew how to make blenders. I don't, so you remain genius-like in my mind. Thanks again! :o

Puckzzz
06-14-2016, 05:18 AM

Thnx! This is exactly what I was looking for. Super!

janicejem
10-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Hi there,

I can't find the three blenders in the package? I did download the pencils successfully! Thanks for any help!!! And thanks for the pencil package!!!

Janice

Someonesane
10-16-2016, 12:35 AM
Hi there,

I can't find the three blenders in the package? I did download the pencils successfully! Thanks for any help!!! And thanks for the pencil package!!!

Janice

Hello Janice,

You should be able to locate the three blenders under the "Pencil Pack" group on the Preset Panel once you've selected the Palette Knife Tool. It's important to select the Palette Knife first, otherwise you'll be looking at presets for another tool.

janicejem
10-16-2016, 03:54 AM
Hello Janice,

You should be able to locate the three blenders under the "Pencil Pack" group on the Preset Panel once you've selected the Palette Knife Tool. It's important to select the Palette Knife first, otherwise you'll be looking at presets for another tool.

Thank you Someonesane. I did manage to find them and they work great!!! Thanks again!!!

Certx1164
12-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone

I am sketching out a steampunk theme picture with a robot (see below). I was just putting in where I wanted some of the shadows and it felt kind of nice working with the pencil, so perhaps I will do the hole picture with pencil when I am ready to finish it off... The thing is, I tried to use the palette tool as a stub/finger to rubb the pencil lines and getting a nice blended look, but not much happened...

Does anyone know how I can get a finger in Artrage?

I too need a finger.... or an actual blending stump that does more than just pushing color/tone around. So far the only thing that Artrage seems able to do is just that. Or simply "blur" the lines in such a way that it doesn't act like a finger or blending stump. Myself, I have no desire to paint, ink, etc.... I simply want pencil sketching... BUT... I NEED to be able to correctly smudge and blend graphite, charcoal, etc on the "paper". After MUCH frustration with Artrage, and seeing this subject is at least YEARS old, and they still have done nothing but push people to the palette knife (THOSE ARE FOR PAINTS!!!!!! and the one in AR acts exactly as it SHOULD for PAINT).... sorry I digress.... After much frustration, I will continue to sketch in Sketchbook Pro. The ONLY thing lacking in Sketchbook that I wish Autodesk would add is textured paper backgrounds like Artrage. THAT was the only thing I even tried AR for to begin with. But the lack of sketch tools, renders the textured background useless to me. The truth of the matter is... Artrage is clearly not intended as a pencil sketching tool.... it's a paint/ink tool... sketching available clearly as merely an underlying layout for a paint/ink job.

All that being said.....and again, AFTER MUCH FRUSTRATION WITH ARTRAGE BLENDING/SMUDGING (smearing in AR), I have at least come to a relatively decent substitute.

I do the following:

1. Launch Artrage
2. Go to Layers -> Layer Options -> Canvas Settings
3. Select Grains -> <paper/texture of my choice> and color.
4. Select "OK"
5. Export the drawing EXACTLY as is, with no drawing done in it, to a PNG.
6. Exit Artrage

7. Open Sketchbook
8. Create new drawing at 1280x800 (Size of the canvas in Artrage) at 240dpi
9. Select Import Image
10. Navigate to and select my Artrage exported PNG
11. Set layer blending mode to Multiply
12. Place all my new "working" layers "UNDER" that layer.

This does a fair job of emulating actually having a paper background.

If Artrage will add sketching tools...that work the way they SHOULD (the way a finger or blending stump do)... then I'd love to love Artrage, without those... I just can't.

If Autodesk ever adds textured canvas to Sketchbook then they'll be perfect for the sketch artist.

Halfway between the two...

Attached is an example of the end result of my process above. ... (drawn in Sketchbook):

HannahRage
12-09-2016, 11:09 AM
... they still have done nothing but push people to the palette knife (THOSE ARE FOR PAINTS!!!!!! and the one in AR acts exactly as it SHOULD for PAINT)

Technically, the Palette Knife is a combination of a palette knife tool and a digital blender tool - the smudge and 'wet' options aren't really the same thing as the flat and edge knives, even if they push paint around, and they can do exactly the same thing as a digital blending tool in another program - turn 'Pressure' down to mix colour without changing texture.

Have you tried screenpainter's Sumi-E pack? It's got some very nice subtle blenders if SomeoneSane's aren't quite right for you.
https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?37021-so-sumi-why-don-t-you

Certx1164
12-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Technically, the Palette Knife is a combination of a palette knife tool and a digital blender tool - the smudge and 'wet' options aren't really the same thing as the flat and edge knives, even if they push paint around, and they can do exactly the same thing as a digital blending tool in another program - turn 'Pressure' down to mix colour without changing texture.

Have you tried screenpainter's Sumi-E pack? It's got some very nice subtle blenders if SomeoneSane's aren't quite right for you.
https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?37021-so-sumi-why-don-t-you

I'd love to try these packs... I'm using a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Android tablet. Any way to add these packs to Artrage on Android? I can't find one.

I'd also beg to differ on the "same thing as ...another program"... I have gone through just about the entire gambit of settings in the knife tool in AR... At no settings can I even remotely achieve the realistic graphite/charcoal smudging that I do in Sketchpad.

HannahRage
12-09-2016, 03:22 PM
I'd love to try these packs... I'm using a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 Android tablet. Any way to add these packs to Artrage on Android? I can't find one.

I'd also beg to differ on the "same thing as ...another program"... I have gone through just about the entire gambit of settings in the knife tool in AR... At no settings can I even remotely achieve the realistic graphite/charcoal smudging that I do in Sketchpad.

Okay, there may be one specific tool somewhere that we can't replicate :D But *in general*, our blenders offer all the same options as the digital blending tool in most programs.

But the difficulty you have blending might also be more to do with the pencil itself, which uh, is about to improve dramatically (https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?51994-Who-likes-pencil-sketching). Though, sorry, not sure when it's coming to the Android app, we haven't had a chance to see if it even works there yet :D

To use these packs on Android:

You can't install them directly, but the tools are almost all exactly the same, especially the palette knife. If you install the pack to a desktop version of ArtRage (e.g. the demo) and copy the settings manually, you can create your own presets. Most of them use the Wet mode, which has a lot of fiddly options, so it definitely helps to have a guide.

Certx1164
12-10-2016, 04:52 AM
Okay, there may be one specific tool somewhere that we can't replicate :D But *in general*, our blenders offer all the same options as the digital blending tool in most programs.

But the difficulty you have blending might also be more to do with the pencil itself, which uh, is about to improve dramatically (https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?51994-Who-likes-pencil-sketching). Though, sorry, not sure when it's coming to the Android app, we haven't had a chance to see if it even works there yet :D

To use these packs on Android:

You can't install them directly, but the tools are almost all exactly the same, especially the palette knife. If you install the pack to a desktop version of ArtRage (e.g. the demo) and copy the settings manually, you can create your own presets. Most of them use the Wet mode, which has a lot of fiddly options, so it definitely helps to have a guide.

I agree....it's ONE tool specifically. Unfortunately, after the pencil's themselves, it's just about THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL, for a pencil sketch artist. As I said... if one is creating in paint or ink, AR is exellent.... and if I were doing that, I WOULD love it.... but, alas, I don't do paint or ink... strictly pencil... so for me... a realistic pencil blend/smudge like a finger, blending stump, or soft cloth, is absolutely essential.