PDA

View Full Version : Saturn in Tartarus

JohnRitchey
06-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I really love using artrage. I work alot with both traditional media and digital, this piece started on artrage (iPhone) then flew into the PC version for some refining...

Critique is most welcome

copespeak
06-15-2013, 11:44 AM
A sad, suffering little character. The chiaroscuro lighting is well done. :cool:

operated
06-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Nice painting .

has a nice mood , is it from ur imagination ?

great job

JohnRitchey
06-16-2013, 04:56 PM
A sad, suffering little character. The chiaroscuro lighting is well done. :cool:

Thank you, the character is heavily suffering so I lighted the scene in an attempt to match his emotions as well as hint the surroundings.

JohnRitchey
06-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Nice painting .

has a nice mood , is it from ur imagination ?

great job

Yes it is a mix of imagination, mythology and reality ;)

It began when I took a photograph of my son in a similar pose as the character here. I then used that image as a reference when I painted this one. It's supposed to portray the anguish and feeling of abandonment and utter failure of the titan Saturn when Zeus (his own son) sent him to suffer in Tartarus.
I also wanted a slight resemblance to Goya's "Saturn devouring his son" in the character. I don't know, I feel a bit pretentious about the whole piece even though I like it...

D Akey
06-18-2013, 05:34 AM
I've seen these kinds of haunted, helpless characters in Anime. They usually represent shock and horror. It's almost archetypal like the masks of comedy and tragedy in their unambiguous expressions.

http://www.google.com/search?q=comedy+%26+tragedy&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Oki_UcOPKIm48wTl1IC4CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=924&bih=465

w12m
06-18-2013, 10:25 AM
strange and neat thing, perhaps - I actually recognize your name & art from instagram!

You've got some fantastic things posted there... I quite like your work, and think it's cool to see you on the forum here...

This big ol' world is a tiny little place!!

kenmo
06-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Holy smokes...this is very nice....

pai
06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Very expressive, haunting, powerful. Great one.