PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Box Head (Updated Pics: 07-05-2013)

Someonesane
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
This just something I did quick and loose, but since we don't have a "sketches" forum area, I decided to post it here.

I was doing some sketching practice and after drawing some cubes as a warm up, I recalled this nutty character some friends and I used to joke about. I couldn't resist drawing some new concept images for him.

100% drawn in ArtRage - Tools: My own Sticker Spray Pencil Brush - Watercolor Tool for the colors.

(EDIT) - I wanted some practice, so I used the sketch I used for my original images above to ink/paint the following:

You'll want to click on this one to see it at full size, because the thumbnail the forum shows is a bit grainy. The left side was done with the Ink Pen and some Airbrush. The Right side was done with the Oil Brush and Pastel (Wax version).

This one was done with the Ink Pen:

copespeak
06-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Wonderful, vibrant work. Love your watercolour effects SOS. :cool:

gxhpainter2
06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
very nice sketches, and quite a character!...love the subtle modeling of form for arms and body...

eighty+
06-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi S.O.S yes I liked it thought I'd copy it to put in the Wacky Bus ride :D I was quiet pleased with my sketch

but when I posted it nothing have asked surrport to see if they can find it when I was posting it did say

Something about a bad Parameter what ever that means i havn't a clue anyway Thanks for the Pratice

...............:D :D :D :D SLAINTE

Someonesane
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Wonderful, vibrant work. Love your watercolour effects SOS. :cool:

Thanks Copespeak. I added a stained paper overlay for an added effect to the watercolors.

very nice sketches, and quite a character!...love the subtle modeling of form for arms and body...

Thank you gxhpainter. The character materialized as some friends and I tried to entertain ourselves while working at our after school job years ago. It was somewhat mindless work, so we had a lot of time to talk, which occasionally led to some crazy ideas, like Box Head here.

Hi S.O.S yes I liked it thought I'd copy it to put in the Wacky Bus ride :D I was quiet pleased with my sketch

but when I posted it nothing have asked surrport to see if they can find it when I was posting it did say

Something about a bad Parameter what ever that means i havn't a clue anyway Thanks for the Pratice

...............:D :D :D :D SLAINTE

Glad you like it Eighty. Hope you figure out where your sketch went. Look forward to seeing it!

justjean
06-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Great sketching and painting and is this on your nice wc paper :)

Someonesane
06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Great sketching and painting and is this on your nice wc paper :)

Thanks. Yes, I did use the watercolor paper I've posted around the forums :)

L Skylar Brown
06-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Amusing and fun.

eighty+
06-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi S.O.S AS Promised The 2nd one as never found the 1st one so it had to do again ok regards E+ :D :D :D SLAINTE

pai
06-21-2013, 04:24 PM
fun characters and so well illustrated. i like it.

byroncallas
07-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey, this is lively, fun, and as ever, well done. Nice to stumble on these, gave me a great chuckle. :D

sreekumar
07-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Great.... very nice water colour effect

Z1Xwitch
07-26-2013, 08:47 PM
what a great character design :D
This brings a great feeling of childhood-playfullness to the mix.
For me at least, looking at this is almost an instant flashback to some distant childhood dreams of being a super-hero or villain.
loving it!
would be great as illustrations to a childrens-book

kenmo
07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Excellent illustration and style....:cool:

D Akey
07-27-2013, 02:04 AM
How did I miss replying to this?

I agree with all the other favorable comments. Sensational character you've captured. Playful, childhood fantasy in action. . . marvelous character invention.

Someonesane
07-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Amusing and fun.

Thanks Skylar :)

Hi S.O.S AS Promised The 2nd one as never found the 1st one so it had to do again ok regards E+ :D :D :D SLAINTE

Well done Eighty. I hope you had fun with your study :)

fun characters and so well illustrated. i like it.

Thanks Pai, happy you like it :D

Hey, this is lively, fun, and as ever, well done. Nice to stumble on these, gave me a great chuckle. :D

Hi byron, glad to have brought a cheerful chuckle your way :)

Great.... very nice water colour effect

Thanks sreekumar :cool:

what a great character design :D
This brings a great feeling of childhood-playfullness to the mix.
For me at least, looking at this is almost an instant flashback to some distant childhood dreams of being a super-hero or villain.
loving it!
would be great as illustrations to a childrens-book

Thanks Z1Xwitch:). The character was created while I was working at my first job (unrelated to the art field), so my friends and I were in our teens (probably 15). Part of our job was breaking down the empty boxes that would accumulate throughout the day. One day, while we were breaking down a particularly large amount of them, someone decided to put one of the boxes on his head and, as often happens when you have three young creative types working on monotonous tasks, Crazy Box Head was born. His amazing (or perhaps, not so amazing) abilities changed from one day to the next, such as his skill of price checking a product at the speed of any other person on the planet, but looking awesome while doing it.

Excellent illustration and style....:cool:

Thanks Kenmo :D

How did I miss replying to this?
I agree with all the other favorable comments. Sensational character you've captured. Playful, childhood fantasy in action. . . marvelous character invention.

Thank you D Akey :cool:

pat1940
07-27-2013, 10:24 AM
This is great work SOS always love what you do

Someonesane
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
This is great work SOS always love what you do

Thanks Pat :cool:

Alexandra
08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Excellent SOS, excellent work.

Belvrog
08-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Hahaha, great one SOS :D I prefer the inked versions. Well done!!

SCP
08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Great work,the ink version really pops almost anime style.All versions are wonderfully done.:cool::cool::D:D

Caesar
09-02-2013, 09:18 PM
A great character indeed and such masterful and different ways to render its concept! Bravo!

Fiawin
04-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Oh. My. Word.
You do beautiful art, even if they do have boxes on their heads! That solves the problem of drawing faces. ;)

D Akey
04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah, just as a revisit since it was happily revived: I LOVE the story from whence. I can really see a couple lads in a really menial job making fun out of it. Irrepressible spirits. You managed to remind me of what youth is all about. I had forgotten in a way just what is important, and a great friendship, or even a friendship of circumstance where you go your separate ways at the end of the time, can be a treasure that's all to easy to undervalue.

Also, on another footing, it also reminds me of the whimsey of Buckethead the guitarist and the mindset from whence that character also sprouted. I must confess I didn't get the whimsey in the same way as from yours. And sharing your point of view is a great gift. Thanks. And I agree (again), the drawings are wonderful. But the stories could be endless and enduring.