PDA

View Full Version : The Warrior

hypotaxis
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Watercolours (mainly!) and knifework over a textured layer.

Brett

copespeak
05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Beautiful complex textures Brett. All those merging colours! :)

D Akey
05-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Oh, man this is great! Super powerful like a vision quest, a walkabout for the sea fearing. . .

Clearly it has the Zen thing named, which is great.

But have you heard of the Medieval Irish sailing monks - one in particular was Brendan? I'm not so intent upon their timing, with claims to have settled Iceland before the Norse, as I am about the stories about the metaphor and legend about what happened when at sea. The stories around him are big on riding the line between the conscious and subconscious (etc), and the sea creatures coming up from below.

There was one story in particular, employing poetic license and metaphoric imagery in keeping with these sea fearing clerics who had taken to regular prayer and meditation in which the lines were, in story at least, often blurred between states of consciousness. And in this particular story I'm thinking about they set out in a boat. And while out at sea they came upon a whale that had taken on the guise of an island to they point that they could even walk around on it. Something to ponder when looking at your painting and the adventures in consciousness therein implied, where the realms merge, as it were.

The following link only speaks of certain aspects of he and his group. But it identifies him who for me could be in this boat of your depiction.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/brendan.html

Caesar
05-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Really magnificent use of textures and colors. A powerful outcome indeed!

hypotaxis
05-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

Brett

pai
05-16-2013, 11:12 AM
i like those red spot caught me eyes and then lead me eyes down to the warrior....how i imagined he was so braveful to take on challegnes. powerful :)

byroncallas
05-16-2013, 07:14 PM
This one is pretty rich - lots to latch on too - lots for the mind to contemplate. And beautiful.
I love it.

hypotaxis
05-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Pai and Byron. Glad you like it.

BTW the name of the boat is not Zen but "Urizen" :-) A mystery!

Brett

coops
05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
This is a wonderful painting Brett and would look amazing on any wall. I love it:)

D Akey
05-17-2013, 07:29 AM
BTW the name of the boat is not Zen but "Urizen" :-) A mystery!

So riddle me this: Who put the Zen in urizen? Yet another stern mystery. . . :p

kenmo
05-17-2013, 09:34 AM
A very interesting painting for sure!!!!:cool:

hypotaxis
05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
So riddle me this: Who put the Zen in urizen? Yet another stern mystery. . . :p

Must've been our William - Blake that is, oh wise and stern one :)

Brett

D Akey
05-19-2013, 01:22 AM
I looked up Blake's Urizen. Fascinating character. Thanks for the pointing to it.

Adds a lot of dimension for me and how you came up with the symbolic look of this particular piece. Owing to it having that kind of representative look of symbolism, I guessed there was something. But this actually shows that you were looking closely, as if a symbolic portrait of a portrait of a symbol. Very cool. . . at least I'm assuming it's Blake's and not from the comic book Spawn, heh.

Thanks for the insight. And Bravo! Opened a door for me. I didn't know that godlike guy with the divider that Blake did had a story. I must confess only a passing acquaintance with Blake's work combined with his accompanying words for certain images that I tripped over surfing the internet. But I never saw them in context. I'll be looking closer for sure now that I know there's something to find other than the iconic pictures.

You did a great job on this one, I believe one from which Blake would feel spoke the same language.

jibes
05-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Great textures and bold colors!

hypotaxis
05-19-2013, 06:29 AM
I looked up Blake's Urizen. Fascinating character. Thanks for the pointing to it.

Adds a lot of dimension for me and how you came up with the symbolic look of this particular piece. Owing to it having that kind of representative look of symbolism, I guessed there was something. But this actually shows that you were looking closely, as if a symbolic portrait of a portrait of a symbol. Very cool. . . at least I'm assuming it's Blake's and not from the comic book Spawn, heh.

Thanks for the insight. And Bravo! Opened a door for me. I didn't know that godlike guy with the divider that Blake did had a story. I must confess only a passing acquaintance with Blake's work combined with his accompanying words for certain images that I tripped over surfing the internet. But I never saw them in context. I'll be looking closer for sure now that I know there's something to find other than the iconic pictures.

You did a great job on this one, I believe one from which Blake would feel spoke the same language.
Thanks!

I have only just started to read Blake. I was reading Northrop Frye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Frye) (how weird is that!) who was great fan of Blake. Blake had this whole philosophy of being that was very complex. The symbolism of "Urizen" (and his opposite "Albion") changed.

hypotaxis
05-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Great textures and bold colors!
Thanks Jibes!

gxhpainter2
05-19-2013, 08:25 AM
beautiful Brett.. I think as usual DAkey nailed the spiritual nature of the work. the deep rich colors and golden circle. the man sailing into the unknown.. a fearless journey :cool::cool: