View Full Version : Futuristic City

Bobbyray
05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi All

Another digital image mix.....Poser 9, ArtRage 4

Hope you enjoy it.

Yggdroid
05-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Nice, though the plain water is bothering me a little >..> uneven compared to the top which is pretty busy...

But overall nice work :D

Bobbyray
05-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Yggdroid

Thanks.....I am not sure what you mean...the late evening sky and the ocean clash? or ? The light is coming from behind the city onto the ocean. Is it too light?

need input, anyone.........? What do you think it needs? or????

Thanks for your input.

D Akey
05-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Well since you asked, the water is not detailed and is so plain it could read as open daytime sky. But since that wouldn't be logical, the mind has to stop and figure it out, even if it's just a momentary flip of the mental lens. Also it is in fact too light for that environment.

Also your picture is bisected horizontally, and they have vastly different amounts of interest above and below. They don't seem to exist in the same space. The amount of detail you put in the upper half is way more fiddly than the water which has almost no attention given it. It's almost as if the artist (you) said this part is interesting but half the picture isn't worth the page space.

So that's a partial explanation of what they're saying based on what I'm seeing.

For me, I would never put the bottom line of a close up object on a natural line (like the water meets land in this case). It flattens the illusion of depth out and in this case really cuts the picture in half. And owing to the contrast in color and values, which is more than anywhere in the pic that line becomes so dominant it impairs the look at the rest.

Don't mean to be mean. But you asked and the comments had already begun and you asked for an expansion. So please see these comments as meaning to help about picture making in general using the image as a case in point.

I do however like the intention behind it. The Sci-Fi aspect of visualizing something unreal is intriguing. So keep pluggin'!

Bobbyray
05-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tips and opinions....

Is this new one (redone) any better? I was in a rush....well that does not work does it. Basically it was practice for mixing AR & Poser objects/lights etc. Now I have motivation thanks to you guys.... Rushing does not produce a nice artwork, hu.

It is a rainy day here in Paradise so I had some time to paint.....well 3d and paint....lol Practice makes perfect. I am working on it....your ideas and advice is always welcome and appreciated as always. Now I have a better understanding of how to put it all together using both programs from this experiment. Thanks guys for your help.

Yggdroid
05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
nicer use of the water but now the background looks a little flat too, it's pitch black... maybe add some stars or something to explain the glow around the buildings and have a little highlights were needed like maybe on the ship and the water even..

Bobbyray
05-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Ahh mission impossible lol ......I started over and is this any better?

Thanks again for the input....it helps me to get motivated especially on a rainy day.

hypotaxis
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Is this new one (redone) any better?
Part of the problem was that you split the picture in half with the horizon line and that makes it difficult to get the image to work. One general rule is one third to two thirds, which is a good place to start. It's mistake I am always making :o

Try cropping out most of the light blue and bringing the horizon line down. You'll see how it helps

Brett

copespeak
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
The last one is great Robert! I really love the huge moon. :)

The first one has the spaceship on the line of the water. Bringing it down would also help to break that line, and cropping some out and darkening the water somewhat would help too.

Bobbyray
05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey Thanks guys...composition is everything.

I am learning a lot guys......it helps a lot.

I am practicing with Poser and Artrage together and it is very hard to do in itself, switching back and forth so much. So many details to set and check. I am also concerned with the composition and getting it right for the scene. Sci-fi is not my nack but I am trying and learning with all of your help....Thank You all. The last one is a closeup of the city with more detail. I have a problem with AR 4 now crashing when I try to use the selection tool. Weird.

Caesar
05-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Spectacular! We finally found a new Karel Thole for illustrating sci-fi novels!

Docsmith626
05-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Personally, I find DAZ Studio easier to integrate with ArtRage. Render the models as PNGs and import them as layers. Works better if you're careful with the resolution and lighting.

D Akey
05-08-2013, 05:47 AM
In the one where you're mooning us, I really like the closeness. Now I feel like I'm on an orbiting space station or something. Cool.

That one's all about the moon the way you did it, which is fine. But you're staging it thus. I'm assuming you're wanting to feature the cars a bit. Don't hesitate to cheat the lighting a little to balance with the moon. There's some very cool stuff and I'd like to see it.

Look at lighting (what you draw the eye to light and dark) and color saturation and relationships like a graphic equalizer that is on your stereo. You can bring up and tone down stuff to relate in context.

This moon one was much better. Keep thinking in those terms and as you do more paintings, the compositions will start to play better and better all the time. Enjoy the voyage, captain!

Bobbyray
05-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. It helps to have other viewpoints and suggestions.

oopsa, I got sidetracked last night... after watching a video from Virgin Galactic. I watched their videos and decided to do some creative artistic images... Wow. I can not show them anywhere as they are copyrighted materials. I completed 5 images and are they very very cool. I am sending them to Virgin Galactic. A friend saw them and he thought they were actually from VG advertisements. Then I told him I did them and he was shocked. So, I guess I did them really well. The VG artists and photographers employed there are totally awesome and inspiring, I just did some combinations from image snips of videos. I used mostly ArtRage 4 and did the individual image adjustments in Adobe elements . It is amazing what you can do in ArtRage 4.

Ok I am back on the artwork......stay tuned for new images (better I hope).

PS> Anyone get a ticket for a space flight yet on VG? Geez, I wish I had one.

D Akey
05-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. It helps to have other viewpoints and suggestions.

oopsa, I got sidetracked last night... after watching a video from Virgin Galactic. I watched their videos and decided to do some creative artistic images... Wow. I can not show them anywhere as they are copyrighted materials. I completed 5 images and are they very very cool. I am sending them to Virgin Galactic. A friend saw them and he thought they were actually from VG advertisements. Then I told him I did them and he was shocked. So, I guess I did them really well. The VG artists and photographers employed there are totally awesome and inspiring, I just did some combinations from image snips of videos. I used mostly ArtRage 4 and did the individual image adjustments in Adobe elements . It is amazing what you can do in ArtRage 4.

Ok I am back on the artwork......stay tuned for new images (better I hope).

PS> Anyone get a ticket for a space flight yet on VG? Geez, I wish I had one.

Go man go!!!!!!!

Bobbyray
05-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys....

Having some lighting issues in Poser...still learning how. The city is very hard to do with shading and all. I think I will stick to my space art. I will continue learning the lighting and composition in Poser as I have time but the next few weeks + I have the mag to work on. So I will do what I can and get back here when I can.

Thanks for all the input....it really helps.

Sketchism71
05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Excellent work Bobby! The second image really captured some great atmosphere! Proper use of light in an image is probably one of the most important skills an artist can master (in my opinion). Great work my friend!

coops
05-11-2013, 12:25 AM
These are all great Bobbyray, you have such a vivid imagination:)

Alexandra
05-12-2013, 03:51 AM
I like them Bobbyray, great work.:cool:

Bobbyray
05-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Another try, this time a scene in DAZ.

I do not like daz too much as I am learning it.....lol Much different than Poser. Poser is much easier to use.

Thanks for tuning in. enjoy.... I know it needs some lighting work. lol This was a render test. Poser takes about 30 seconds and Daz takes about 30 min to render the same scene...hummm weird. I'll stick to Poser.