PDA

View Full Version : The Cyclopean Squid.

Loki
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
First, I'm a new user both to the forum and ArtRage... I love this little program; It bestows upon you a degree of freedom that more expensive programs take away just by being so complex... my wife had to "accidentally" kick the power cable off the plug yesterday to pry me away from the computer.

Here is my first humble contribution to the Gallery, I like squids a lot... A LOT... it borders on unhealthy obsession sometimes. :D :

http://www.vacaluna.com/images/artrage/cyclopean_squid_rage.jpg

I'm still blindly probing my way around the program... how comes we don't have a selection tool?

I know the type of ship may be slightly out of place for such a tropical setting, but I hadn't had the chance to paint a longship before, and if I had done a galleon or something like that instead, it would have ended looking too much like THAT movie...

Anyway, it's nice to see so many talented people here...

Thanks for looking and have a nice day!

D.WilliamMills
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
more squids more squids more squids...very cool. I like the water.

Bill

jvolkel
02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome Loki - Awesome squid! :shock: Great job for your first post. Keep painting!

pai
02-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Loki,

Welcome to the forum. That's an interesting giant squid and the color is sharp too. I like it. You did a very nice first one. I am also new to AR. Hope to see more of your work. :)

jacktar51
02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Loki.......hello... welcome to our little world of paintings,nice to see you posting your work already...this is a good painting,and from it I see you are already an artist.....you will get better and better with Artrage, we have all improved since finding it and using it...keep on painting and posting,the feedback you get from other Artists will make you want to do more....looking forward to seeing more of your stuff Loki,......Jack.

AndyRage
02-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Stunning illustration. That's an awesome style.

Deathbstrd
02-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Cool! That ship looks like it's in a bit of trouble :) You can't go wrong with squids, man. They rock!

D Akey
02-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Haha. . . Now there's something that Leif and the Argonauts forgot to mention in their adventures. Look for the heel. . . oh, they don't have heels. . .

Well, Lief, old bean, who ya gonna call?

Very fun image, with a perfect technique. Very clear, which makes the story you're depicting very accessible.

Kids would love it. Bright and colorful.

Nice one.

Selby
02-18-2007, 12:11 PM
lovely style loki and beautiful bright colours

Selby

Loki
02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments... Usually I'm kind of shunned because of both my style and selection of subjects... In general people prefer more realistic styles and traditional subjects like flowers, horses and ceramic pots... but I chose to walk a different path.

Artrage is such a fun program!

anickyst
02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello Loki and welcome. I agree with above comments, the squid rocks.

Hey I too have felt a little shunned as I dont and never have done mainstream stuff. Your in very good company here, Ive only been posting for a couple of days and Ive had some really encouraging feed back.

Lookin forward to seeing more of your work. :D

jimandersonz
02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
there is absolutely nothing wrong with your style, after all its uniquely yours.. and subject matter is equally a part of the artists own perception. Do all the squids you wish and do your syle.. just dont let it rule you.. experiment outside the box. after all, it outside the box of our experience that we learn.

jvolkel
02-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi again Loki, I agree, don't worry about what others like - anyone can paint a flower or horse or some potty thing - let them try a giant squid. I (and it looks like most of the members here) like fresh stuff that comes from your imagination. It could be a flower, but maybe you want a baby hippopotamus smelling it, or whatever. Keep up the good work.