PDA

View Full Version : Late night sketchin' results

Z1Xwitch
04-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi there ... Yeah, I'm new in here.
Anyways, I just wanted to share some late night sketching session from yesterday :)
Please feel free to comment or criticize as you see fit :)

edit: I'll just keep adding my late night sketchings to this post, as I get em' done! ;)

Regards
Z1Xwitch

"In the dark" (3/4/13)

"Lisbeth Salander" (3/4/13)

"Sympathies" (3/4/13)

"Space Jockey" (5/4/13)

"Drowning" (5/4/13)

copespeak
04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)

Really strong confident, competent work. Each face has a strong presence and personality. Wonderful! :cool:

operated
04-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Love them all 3 ,

but the girl looks so real , nice job.

Z1Xwitch
04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks :) I just got Artrage 4 via Steam the other day, and I literally can't drop the stylus ... it's freakin' awesome!!

I'm not used to getting much feedback, except from clients and my close personal network. So I was looking for a place to get some more constructive feedback on my sketchings and other things. I hope this might be the place :)

Now I just need to drop the pen, and do some lurking in here, and see what else is happening in here.. again, thanks for the wellcome :)

D Akey
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice stuff. The first one looks like George Lucas. The last one looks like one of the creatures from the saloon sequence on Tatooeen. The other two look great but they're too contemporary for me to know who they might be. I did look up Lisbeth Salander and she is remarkably diverse within a dark style. Your drawing does her credit.

The style is very dramatic with lighting and hard strokes = the style I would have seen in some of the older graphic novels when publishers paid attention to drawing skill.

pai
04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Awesome drawings. I love them all as everyone is so different character. And, welcome to the forum too :)

byroncallas
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, I find your drawings quite skillful. The Lisbeth Salander (one of my favorite actresses) surely captures her dynamic character. If you're really looking for critical feedback, on that one portrait I felt the work in her face was too "soft", too "blended", giving her a slightly ghoulish quality. But even then, you pull off capturing her spirit.

In this section of the forum "Gallery, Gallery" the feedback is generally of the less-critical type; we seem here to point more to the positive aspects of the work - more the positive feedback perspective. If you're looking for serious, constructive criticism the [Forum, Gallery, Critique] section http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?16-Critique is the area where you may find more of the technical feedback you might be looking for.

This forum overall is a terrific community. With its several discussion sections, you will find terrific people to engage you in real critique as well as camaraderie in the exchange of ideas, the appreciation of each others efforts, technical advice for both painting in general and the use of Artrage, great tutorials, and just good fun. If that seems rewarding to you, you've stumbled into the right place.

Best,
Byron

edit: I've subscribed to your thread. If you post more here, I will surely want to see.

Z1Xwitch
04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Nice stuff. The first one looks like George Lucas. The last one looks like one of the creatures from the saloon sequence on Tatooeen. The other two look great but they're too contemporary for me to know who they might be. I did look up Lisbeth Salander and she is remarkably diverse within a dark style. Your drawing does her credit.

The style is very dramatic with lighting and hard strokes = the style I would have seen in some of the older graphic novels when publishers paid attention to drawing skill.

Thanks ... :)
Yeah "In the dark", is just based loosely on some random model I found on the web, but I forgot to take note of who it was.
The "Sympathies" sketch and "Space Jockey" actually both have something in common, but it's not quite Star Wars (Though I think I might consider doing some SW-fanart, I haven't tried that for ages). The similarity are, that both characters are from Ridley Scott's "Alien " (1979 )

Awesome drawings. I love them all as everyone is so different character. And, welcome to the forum too :)
:) Thanks, it's good to feel welcome :D

Well, I find your drawings quite skillful. The Lisbeth Salander (one of my favorite actresses) surely captures her dynamic character. If you're really looking for critical feedback, on that one portrait I felt the work in her face was too "soft", too "blended", giving her a slightly ghoulish quality. But even then, you pull off capturing her spirit.

In this section of the forum "Gallery, Gallery" the feedback is generally of the less-critical type; we seem here to point more to the positive aspects of the work - more the positive feedback perspective. If you're looking for serious, constructive criticism the [Forum, Gallery, Critique] section XXX-Spam-filter don't like I repost URL's-XXX is the area where you may find more of the technical feedback you might be looking for.

This forum overall is a terrific community. With its several discussion sections, you will find terrific people to engage you in real critique as well as camaraderie in the exchange of ideas, the appreciation of each others efforts, technical advice for both painting in general and the use of Artrage, great tutorials, and just good fun. If that seems rewarding to you, you've stumbled into the right place.

Best,
Byron

edit: I've subscribed to your thread. If you post more here, I will surely want to see.

Thanks, and thanks for the critique, I actually ended up feeling the "Lisbeth Salander" was too soft on the skin too, so it's good to get that confirmed ;)
I'll be sure to give the other forum-topics a look-see, as soon as I get some time off to sip coffee and do some forum luring, I love to give and receive constructive criticism, so the critique forum sounds like a great place to start :)

and thanks for the subscription :D

Caesar
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Welcome and congrats for Your astoundingly good drawings!

Z1Xwitch
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
"Mindside out" (5/4/13)

pai
04-06-2013, 12:56 PM
oooh, like the new addition too. you're so good. love black and white :)

byroncallas
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Both new additions are stunning. However, turning "drowning" right side up makes it a near masterpiece (don't worry if that presents some problems with a few bubbles). It is much more powerful.
I very much like both of these entries. Consider me an immediate fan.

hypotaxis
04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Welcome. I think these are remarkable. Very free, beautiful lines and lights and darks. And an edgy darkness to them that I like.

Brett

drawing4art
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Welcome :)
Love your sketches, very dramatic in black and white :)

Z1Xwitch
04-07-2013, 12:41 AM
thank you ppl
I'm really flattered. I like posting sketch-work, and also looking at other peoples sketches, since I often feel they say more about the artist, and the work, than traditional digital paintings do. :)

kenmo
04-07-2013, 01:08 AM
damn nice work....

Finnjamin
04-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Awesome sketches!

Though from the subject matter I do deduce that you are insane. Sorry. :o

Z1Xwitch
04-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Awesome sketches!

Though from the subject matter I do deduce that you are insane. Sorry. :o

Thank you, I take that as a compliment :D

Z1Xwitch
04-07-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm not really happy with the result of this sketch.
I'm finding it a little flat and void of details around the nose and mouth. The eyes seem to be a little off too.. but since I don't have time to fix it up, this is a far as it's gonna go.
I'm posting it despite not being happy about the outcome.. since I know I'm my own worst critic, I guess I can't get any worse feedback than I gave myself ;P

"Old Lady" (6/4/13)

pai
04-07-2013, 02:20 AM
oh, sorry you are not happy with the result, but i am happy you posted and share with us ! it's awesome sketch, i really like you captured the expression. i love this ! :)

Z1Xwitch
04-07-2013, 03:31 AM
oh, sorry you are not happy with the result, but i am happy you posted and share with us ! it's awesome sketch, i really like you captured the expression. i love this ! :)

Thanks, and yeah, I don't have a problem, sharing my own work, even if I'm not satisfied with it myself. But I do like to make a comment about my dissatisfaction, or perhaps with notes on what I think I did wrong etc. This way, I hope that perhaps someone else can help me find ways to solve any problems, or perhaps give others a chance to learn from my mistakes - corz I make A LOT of em' ;)

copespeak
04-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Pretty nice drawing, and your style is wonderful. The white only serves to accentuate the dark, and works for me. The eyes don't trouble me at all. :cool:

Z1Xwitch
04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Pretty nice drawing, and your style is wonderful. The white only serves to accentuate the dark, and works for me. The eyes don't trouble me at all. :cool:
Thanks, that's very kind of you ... I guess some of my annoyance with it, comes from it not turning out as I had it in mind when I started on the sketch. I had to make due with some corrections to hide some initial flaws. But then again, if it don't show, I guess I did okay in covering it up.. lol

justjean
04-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Really great sketching :)

Z1Xwitch
04-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Late night sketch, based on Facebook votes last night.
"Winnie the Pooh" (9/4/13)

D Akey
04-11-2013, 03:50 AM
I'm not really happy with the result of this sketch.
I'm finding it a little flat and void of details around the nose and mouth. The eyes seem to be a little off too.. but since I don't have time to fix it up, this is a far as it's gonna go.
I'm posting it despite not being happy about the outcome.. since I know I'm my own worst critic, I guess I can't get any worse feedback than I gave myself ;P

"Old Lady" (6/4/13)

Yes, you're right about the critiques here. You would definitely be your worst critic in a place like this where it's almost entirely about identifying and focusing on the good parts. And that's probably the most valuable. Besides, you're so good most people wouldn't care to nitpick because it would sound negative or like they're coming down on you. . . which this group never would.

So I'm not coming down on you either. Just offering a comment that hopefully may be useful to you. This sketch would be fine reduced in a graphic novel. Your style with your offerings say that comics and graphic novels is what interests you. Maybe even movie posters of the Drew Struzan variety in which you would intend later to model the white open areas with thin paint and perhaps a few opaque highlights.

But since you described some challenges, I will say that the nose is tilted at the bottom (a very little bit low on the right) based on the curve of the face (might have been the result of lens distortion in the original, maybe not). I think too the reflections in the eyes make her eyes look a little like they are on different axes (or at least different light sources). I think most of these minor problems would sort themselves out when you added color because they would not be so apparent through the high contrast. Here a little info has to describe everything precisely owing to the less information drawn. Also that includes what looks like the second wart crossing her eyebrow. It's the most contrasty part of the drawing more or less, and it makes me wonder why you are emphasizing it so. Again, when painted, it would be minimized and fall into place I think.

Anyway, it still rocks. I really love your style, because I know it so well having been aware of the genre and entertainment markets for a long while. Very pleasing work you do.

Z1Xwitch
04-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Yes, you're right about the critiques here. You would definitely be your worst critic in a place like this where it's almost entirely about identifying and focusing on the good parts. And that's probably the most valuable. Besides, you're so good most people wouldn't care to nitpick because it would sound negative or like they're coming down on you. . . which this group never would.

So I'm not coming down on you either. Just offering a comment that hopefully may be useful to you. This sketch would be fine reduced in a graphic novel. Your style with your offerings say that comics and graphic novels is what interests you. Maybe even movie posters of the Drew Struzan variety in which you would intend later to model the white open areas with thin paint and perhaps a few opaque highlights.111

But since you described some challenges, I will say that the nose is tilted at the bottom (a very little bit low on the right) based on the curve of the face (might have been the result of lens distortion in the original, maybe not). I think too the reflections in the eyes make her eyes look a little like they are on different axes (or at least different light sources). I think most of these minor problems would sort themselves out when you added color because they would not be so apparent through the high contrast. Here a little info has to describe everything precisely owing to the less information drawn. Also that includes what looks like the second wart crossing her eyebrow. It's the most contrasty part of the drawing more or less, and it makes me wonder why you are emphasizing it so. Again, when painted, it would be minimized and fall into place I think.

Anyway, it still rocks. I really love your style, because I know it so well having been aware of the genre and entertainment markets for a long while. Very pleasing work you do.

I thank you for the critique... I'm that type of person, who really likes to hear from other people, who know their way around illustrations and artwork, what they think of my work ..
- Not so much about the content, but on the technical level, style, composition etc. .. so thanks :D

You are right about the nose, I was kinda trying to bend my work to mimic a lens-effect. And I do notice now, as I look on the sketch again, that I could have corrected it with some simple cross hatching to the left side of the face, adding more shade, and helping to emphasise the slight distortion... and yeah, the reflections in the eyes are sloppy .. I just slapped them on there in the last minute.. hoping noone would notice .. so my hat off to you sir (or possibly lady, if I just offended you by calling you sir) ;)

I'm not sure where my inspiration for the hi-contrast pen-sketches come from. If it's comics, it must be subliminal, since I actually don't read comics, and haven't done so for many years. But I quite clearly see the connection, now you mention it ... lol ... The late night sketches I do is often made to 1> entertain and enjoy myself, and 2> to try out new styles and brushes etc .. so more than often I don't give much thought to the style, I just let it "flow" ... so .. yeah ... perhaps I should consider a study in comic drawing :D

.. but again ... thanks! I really enjoyed reading your reply :D (and look... you made me babble like a madman) :D

D Akey
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
You're welcome. And I would surely be drummed out of the coven, judging from my driver's license which says male, what with California being pretty strict about the accuracy of their driver's licenses. I have to believe 'em. Oh, but 'sir' is unnecessary, yet. I called England, and they said my OBE's in the mail.

pai
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Love the new additions. I have that nickname sometimes my friend called me "winnie the pooh" and this one looks a little bit sad :)

copespeak
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Wonderful quirky little bear, with some nice details (rips and bugs) when you look further. Very good! :)