PDA

View Full Version : Oil Brush - Long thick dry stroke

sanchez
03-19-2013, 06:03 AM
How do I achieve a loong thick dry brush effect stroke? I experimented with all kind of settings such as Insta-Dry, Pressure, Loading, but dry stroke is always too short. In real oil-painting you can achieve this very easily, check this out:

Fashmir
03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi Sanchez, I don't think we're quite there yet with the kind of broken and returning brush strokes. However I have just experimented and done an update to my Oil Brush Presets (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19878319/Fashmirs_Oils.arpack) adding a preset called "Everlasting Drybrush" You may find it useful.

sanchez
03-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Fashmir: Thanks but I have a problem with installing your package file. I have 3.5 version. Error message is this:

Success!
The file selected does not appear to be of the format or is damaged. Please select a different file.

What is wrong?

Steve B
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Fashmir,
Left a message in your other thread, but I did not find the Everlasting Dry Brush when I downloaded the new version of the pack.

Sanchez,
The real issue is that you're looking for Artrage to somehow bind the Loading of the paintbrush to the Pressure applied. This is also something I want for the Watercolor tool. This would allow you to alter your stroke from a dry, bristly stroke to "wet" stroke, or vice versa, "in process", as you make the stroke-- much as you would do in real life. It's absolutely achievable, IMO, but unfortunately not something Artrage has decided to implement yet.

I would suggest going to the Suggestions thread and putting this idea in that official space. I've done so in the past for the Watercolor tool, but the more voices that suggest this idea, the more likely they'll be to implement it.

copespeak
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
A bit rough, but I had a quick crack at trying to emulate your strokes.I'm sure you could achieve with practice.

Very rough canvas, Pencil, Dry Oil Brush. Have a go!

sanchez
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
copespeak: Hm, that looks very fake-ish, you can see the pencil strokes all over the place (not good). And that one dripping paintdrop over there is quite funny. But anyway thanks for suggestion.

copespeak
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
It was very quick (5 minutes), but I thought it might give you something to work on. A lot of those pencil strokes could have been erased back, but I couldn't be bothered.

Sorry. :(

sanchez
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
No I'm sorry I mean thanks for you time to experiment with this. But the problem is that the kind of stroke I want to achieve (=same as the first picture) is kind of "one-quick-blast-hand-motion-stroke" if you catch my drift. Yours looks similar on first sight but its really a constructed-like, you know, it seems obvious that you didn't just draw it with one motion step, it's so static. And I need the opposite - dynamic stroke, the one hand motion. I'm a little demanding I guess, it's beacuse I have traditional painting background, so excuse me and no offence my friend :)

sanchez
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm still curious why I can't open Fashmir's .arpack file. Is it because his version of ArtRage is 4 and mine is 3.5? What do you think guys?

copespeak
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
No offence. I was miffed for a moment, but I'm well over it now. :D

I also have traditional painting background as well. I understand what you are saying, but I am a firm believer that if you hone your skills, and get to know this medium, you will get to slop, scrape and dribble, and achieve more casual strokes.

Art Rage provides a medium to be hugely inventive, you've just got to put the hours in and have fun while you're at it. :)

Juz
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Hi Sanchez,

Yes, the reason you can't install fashmirs preset is because its 4.0.2 and you are on 3.5

I think you would get a lot closer to what you are trying to achieve with version 4x as there has been a 'stiffness' setting added to brushes which allows you to get better drybrush effects.

A warning tho, your real life long dry strokes have a lot of variation in the stroke; like thicker on one side than the other. Artrage is digital and as such will always be a little more 'perfect' in the sense of lacking that variety (the stroke will appear much the same from start to finish but will have the dry effects for the duration and with loading at 100% will be everlasting).

sanchez
03-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks for input Juz, I'll keep that in my mind. But just for clarification, the sample picture I posted isn't my work, it's done by one of the greatest painters ever, Richard Diebenkorn.

Fashmir
03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Yes I'm afraid the Artpack will only work in version 4 as the oil brush tools have changed in version 4. Sorry I should have specified.

ThruAGlassDarkly
04-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Yes I'm afraid the Artpack will only work in version 4 as the oil brush tools have changed in version 4. Sorry I should have specified.

Your brush pack rocks, thanks for the contribution!