PDA

View Full Version : 100 Year Old Rose

copespeak
03-07-2013, 05:42 PM
This rose was salvaged from a very old garden, and I have struck quite a few cuttings of it. It starts out yellow and as it matures, goes to a beautiful saturated red.

I tired to get this as watercoloury as I could. It takes a lot longer than with natural media!

byroncallas
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Lovely Robyn.

copespeak
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks Byron!! :D

semd74
03-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Very nice color and texture

D Akey
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Looks rather vital for an old antique, heh. Very pretty.

Caesar
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
APPLAUSE! :eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

pai
03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
So beautiful flower painting. I really like the color palette you used :)

copespeak
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Thank you all for your comments! It was a lot of fun to do. :)

limey-g
03-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Always interesting when taking cuttings from old stock to see how the rose has changed over the years.
Very nicely painted Robyn, nice subtle effect.
Geoff

coops
03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Robyn this is a stunning piece of artwork, I love it:)

justjean
03-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Very nice, Robyn, love the colours :)

AT-TA
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeseeing , looks so alive for beeing old...beautiful painting .:)

copespeak
03-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for looking guys. It was so enjoyable, I'm going to start another! This is so addictive.

:cool:

Alexandra
03-09-2013, 03:45 AM
awowahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ulla
03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Beautiful colours!

Tana123
03-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Such a delicate touch. i love the colours!

Marilyn Anne
03-10-2013, 07:50 AM
The colors are lovely. Very nice!

hypotaxis
03-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Beautiful Robyn. And that rose is amazing too, I have never heard of a rose changing colour like that. Does it have a name?

Brett

copespeak
03-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I think its name must have been lost after one hundred years, though an expert might recognise it. It's not a big rose and has multiple flowers branching from a single stalk. It is a prolific flowerer though.

Maybe I should take it to our local rose expert. They might like to propagate it!

I helped to restore this garden in Bunyip, Victoria, maybe 18 years ago, where it was overgrown and neglected after being owned by a nasty old lady with dementia. The heritage-listed home was originally built for local icon Major Beckett, who built the Victorian era timber Federation bungalow as his country home. It became the centre of Bunyip society, hosting garden parties, church fetes and scout camps.

The gardens are delightful and feature formal gardens, meandering walkways, mature trees and shrubs, magnificent garden beds, various flowering plants, private-sitting areas and arbors. He imported many exotic plants from Europe and the world.

D Akey
03-10-2013, 09:57 AM
I think its name must have been lost after one hundred years, though an expert might recognise it. It's not a big rose and has multiple flowers branching from a single stalk. It is a prolific flowerer though.

Maybe I should take it to our local rose expert. They might like to propagate it!

I helped to restore this garden in Bunyip, Victoria, maybe 18 years ago, where it was overgrown and neglected after being owned by a nasty old lady with dementia. The heritage-listed home was originally built for local icon Major Beckett, who built the Victorian era timber Federation bungalow as his country home. It became the centre of Bunyip society, hosting garden parties, church fetes and scout camps.

The gardens are delightful and feature formal gardens, meandering walkways, mature trees and shrubs, magnificent garden beds, various flowering plants, private-sitting areas and arbors. He imported many exotic plants from Europe and the world.

Wow. What a cool post. Always adds so much to the experience of art having a context. Shows how it relates to the world it's from.

Curious about the demented cranky old lady. I get that she loved her flowers and garden as they probably didn't give her any trouble at all and just looked beautiful for her when their mood was right. And she couldn't probably remember her own name, and the flowers kindly let theirs fall away in deference to her. Loyal little blighters, wot. What is it they say about pet dogs? They're very forgiving of personality faults and bad history. Flowers can be like chummy conversationalists as well, regardless of one's memories good and bad or even when they were retreated back into the fog. They've a kind word to say.

As a kid, I probably would have run like hell past her house though. Best let the flora deal with her. She's probably contented now pushing up daisies.

copespeak
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM
She actually didn't care about the garden at all, or the beautiful rambling house that filled up with rubbish, animal faeces and dirt like those awful hoarder shows that are on now. Possums were nesting in the walls and rats everywhere. The large property was filled with neglected animals, dogs on chains all their lives, and broken down fences.

All a bit sad.

On a brighter note, the home has been made beautiful again, and the garden are supposedly terrific, though I haven't seen them for years now as it's privately owned.

She's long gone, but I wonder whether the house is a bit haunted with all the misery that went on.

D Akey
03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Why that blinkin' old sot. . . hahaha. Wouldn't everyone be surprised to hear her haunting the joint in iambic pentameter. . .

Ode to the Willies She Scareth Right Oota Ya

I doesn't plays ya by tha rools
Ye poxy bastards, you lot
A clutch o' measley whinin' fools
How doth my garden grow a lot?
Fuck if I know. . .
Now piss off and leave me digs
yer a bunch of. . . of.. . . ( now where was I again? poxy 'terds. . .whiny fools. . . yes. . .I'm with ya. . .fuck. . . piss. . . digs. . . oh right. . .now where's me cigs?. . . bed o' twigs. . . poke of pigs. . . ) Jeez. . . I'll start again shall I. . .

Ode to a Billabong's Festerin' End

I. . . aw skip it. . . Just leave me place of unnatural habit. . . and shut the gate on the way out. . .Boo! Right then. . .Done and done.

Yer a hopeless romantic, Copespeak! :cool:

copespeak
03-10-2013, 11:21 AM
What a ripper of a poem! You always seem to come up with something to make me laugh out loud Mr Akey!

Romantic? It's amazing after such a long and complicated life, but I like to think there is still a vestige left in there.... :D :D :D