PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing work in progress

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Here's a 4-step view of on of the latest "Rusty Knight" illustrations I did.
As you can see it's a mather of fiddle and erase, and erase and fiddle untill I'm partly pleased with the result....Probably pick it up again when all the artwork for the book is finished and I give things a last check..

grayflo
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Are these the kittens grown up? It's a great image Arjen. I love the concept of the steak tempting them onwards! Thanks for sharing the process. I find that very helpful.

copespeak
03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
A wonderful illustration! :cool:

limey-g
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I like it and once again it makes me smile, love the bait to spur them on, mind you if they are like our cats they have minds of their own.
Geoff

D Akey
03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Now there's something you don't see every day.

Interestingly enough (to me) the tigers are chasing a heart rather than a hunk of meat. But I suppose that's for another story and not this one.
Yours is a fanciful image as well, making them orange jungle cat colored rather than snow tiger white.

Nice one. Lots of action.

Caesar
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Very dynamic illustration and perspective! Lot of fantasy to have tigers pulling the sleigh in the snow ...:o

coops
03-08-2013, 02:39 AM
As always, wonderful illustraions, very well done:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Well.... I'ts been a few weeks, Have been busy pretending to be a teacher and recovering from the flue.
Yes grayflo...These are the same kittens grown up, there are two chapters in the book where they play a significant role, some more illustrationwork to do there :-)
And Limey-g........On the way back speed,or a total lack of it, is due to the fact that the meat is eaten and currant buns don't attract to them.....Probably dark when he gets home again!

Here are two more illustrations with the cats/tigers which are a sort of work in progress....Hope you like them,still far from finished though!
And thank you for all the lovely comments and feedback!!

Oh....By the way... I just finished translating the chapter for the illustration above, I would very much like to get feedback on the text but it is'nt possible to to that here.If you people would be so kind as to feedback us on the text please mail me with "chapter" as headline and I will mail you the word file....Could be a great reasurence if the text is as well received as my illustration work!

Regards,

Arjen

[email protected]

limey-g
03-18-2013, 03:29 AM
You have amazing imagination and every time I look at one of your illustrations I cannot help but smile.
Geoff

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-18-2013, 03:42 AM
You have amazing imagination and every time I look at one of your illustrations I cannot help but smile.
Geoff

Thank you Limey-g,
But my imagination comes from the text I get send to me, She is such a visual writer that I can see the illustrations already in front of my eyes, and for the first time in my life I'm able to recreate the excact picture!

Read the text! :-)

regards,

Arjen

jibes
03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow! All superfine work as usual.

D Akey
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
It looks fantastic. Well done. Nice of you to acknowledge your writer as well. But you do bring it to life in a very dynamic way.

byroncallas
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I'll add my wow to all the others. Outstanding.

Caesar
03-19-2013, 01:13 AM
The new illustrations too are a real pleasure to the eyes! Bravo!

drawing4art
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I always enjoy looking at your work, makes me smile very time and obviously a great combination of artist and writer :)

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-23-2013, 07:12 AM
This is why I like the forum and the people who attend it....All very friendly people!

I did finish the latest illustration and waiting for the winter to end :-)
In the meanwhile the text for the first book is finished and the writing on the second book commenced...And it's going to be even more funny.......Hopefully I can keep up with the illustration work!

coops
03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Looking absolutely brilliant:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Some really new work in progress.....
Just finished inking...ready for some color and snow effects.....
And grayflo.....Yep...they're the illustrations for the chapter :-)

Hope you like them.....

Arjen

grayflo
03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
I just love Rusty! Look at the ear muffs on top of his helmet...so funny!!!

pai
03-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I finally have time reading each illustration's details and their expressions....haha, i love them very much. They're so playful and made me smiling a lot. I can't wait to see the second book that you said will be more "FUNNY" :D:D Great stuffs

byroncallas
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
It just gets better and better.

drawing4art
03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Great stuff, still making me smile :)

justjean
03-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Love looking into see your wonderful imagination at work

Caesar
03-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Glad to see where it all start from! I guess You first do the raw sketch by pencil and then You ink a finished drawing on a layer above, but did You find special pencil and ink settings or You change them continuosly as appropriate?
I hope You would forgive my curiosity, should it at any extent ask to disclose some secret tricks, but I think we all admire Your comics stripes and I guess a tutorial and tips from You, in any form, would be a best-seller in this Forum, just as your Rusty Knight stories ...:)

kenmo
03-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Delightful work indeed.... :cool::cool::cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Glad to see where it all start from! I guess You first do the raw sketch by pencil and then You ink a finished drawing on a layer above, but did You find special pencil and ink settings or You change them continuosly as appropriate?
I hope You would forgive my curiosity, should it at any extent ask to disclose some secret tricks, but I think we all admire Your comics stripes and I guess a tutorial and tips from You, in any form, would be a best-seller in this Forum, just as your Rusty Knight stories ...:)

Dear Caesar,

There is absolutely no question of revealing hidden secrets when it comes to an explanation of my way of work for I'm really an old skool illustrator.
For years since there was the ability to work digitaly I've been trying to get the hang of working with a digital pen and tablet.....never got to the results I could be happy with....And still NOT..

Yes...I do make a sketch first, but I work in the traditional way, on paper!
After i make a sketch - And sometimes that is just a thumbnail wich I blow up on the copiermachine - I trace the image onto the inking paper on a light table. I used to do that with a non repro-blue pencil but in the last year i switched to just a 2B pencil.
tried a variety of inking pens,fineliners and inking pens (the ones that stain ALL of your clothes and paper and sometimes even the dog...) But I did finally return to Ink and a brush...So the same way al the american superhero comics are being inked....
After which I scan the image at 300 dpi,safe it as an PSD file and import it in Artrage.....
From there on it's the usual way of creating layers of color and textures...

What I do realize is that during all my experimentations I managed somehow to create a kind of style that is as the way everyone has it's own handwriting...
I do feel that (although I scanned the internet) I can't compare my style of work with no one....except the work of tome and Janry and i can't even walk in their shadow!
I did learn an awfull lot (and still do!!) from our friend Nick...just by looking at his superb work in progress illustrations,his friendly explanations and just study and (when there's no one looking) trying to reproduce some of his techniques.

And always fail :-)

The only thing that keeps me improving is by using a Hanvon drawing tablet....working with a computer mouse isn't never going to work! Can't even draw a circle with a mouse!
Tablets are cheap enough these days and they really do make the difference in working digitally!
And for working then in Artrage gives you the "real" media feeling!

So....
Hope i did'nt dissapoint you with the lack of digital skills I'm laying out to you....But I personaly found out that a lot of buttons and settings do'nt make an artist... A drawing does all the work in my case...Artrage only the effects,colors and textures.....

Once i was working on a christmas card for a client....A lot of heavy machinery and 500+ little figures drawn at 50X70 cm.....When i got back upstairs in my little studio I found my daughter..which was 4 years old with a big fat red crayon coloring my inked piece of work.... "I'm helping you daddy with the coloring......."....

I whish Artrage was around 17 years ago :-)

Hope my explanation was usefull to you Caesar, never a problem to answer to you all!

Regards,

Arjen

Caesar
03-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Dear Arjen, I thank You very much for Your extreme kindness leading You to provide me with a long and most interesting explanation, tso I really found it.
Because of my age, almost 54, and my drawing passion since eve,r I'm very much in the same situation and have a quite similar attitude (with far less discipline). The only, fundamental difference, Your talent apart, is probably that not being a professional illustrator or artist like You, I never went through the process of selecting the ultimate, best fitting tools, support, style etc., thus never set up an absolute reliability of my outputs quality.
I also perfectly understand and realized that all of us has his own "drawing calligraphy", even if I don't always draw according to my best one for each genre, this far, just because I should practice much more continuosly also make sometimes little copy exercises, boring or not, to refresh and get out from my mental imagination limits and learn (or remind) a little more.
I can easily confess that I'm too in awe in front of Nick Harris. I kept stating with him that his works, although showing all the skills, the accuracy, the know-how, an extreme care for the process, a quality standard etc. which are typically granted by British and American illustrator, are the works of a real artist, because they breathe with his outstandingly intelligent, smart, good-tempered, lyrical, imaginative character.
Finally, I appreciated very much the tender story of Your little daughter wishing to help You. You certainly raised an early passion in her which may or may not follow Your one, but will certainly help her finding activities and jobs she would carry out with pleasure. After all, whatever we do, whichever the required skills, passion is the salt of life and we have to love what we do to feel good.

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Thank you Caesar...
Glad you liked my explanation and I do agree with what you say!

As in an attempt to draw away the winter: here are two more Rusty Knight drawings.....Same chapter.
Hope you like them.

Arjen

grayflo
03-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Arjen, I am fascinated by your description of the process you use. May I ask something further? When you bring your line art into Artrage, is it transparent? I ask because my friend and I are planning illustrated teaching aids for kids.
So far I have tried importing a black lined transparent png, and using that as the top layer, so as to keep the lines clean. Colouring is then done on lower layers. That seems to work, but I wondered what you did with your scanned files when you brought them into Artrage. Do you have any tips? Your line art and finished colour looks stunning!

Alexandra
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Great talent. I've enjoyed viewing your wonderful thread.

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Arjen, I am fascinated by your description of the process you use. May I ask something further? When you bring your line art into Artrage, is it transparent? I ask because my friend and I are planning illustrated teaching aids for kids.
So far I have tried importing a black lined transparent png, and using that as the top layer, so as to keep the lines clean. Colouring is then done on lower layers. That seems to work, but I wondered what you did with your scanned files when you brought them into Artrage. Do you have any tips? Your line art and finished colour looks stunning!

Hi grayflo,

My scanner imports the file into Photoshop 7.
So I save my files as 300 dpi PSD files.
this is also the file format I use when importing them into AR..... Import picture to new layer command (I'm in my classroom right now,so I now it is an another word AR uses...sorry) and then set the layer options to "multiply".
All my layers are ON TOP of the black and white layer with the inked drawing, as long as the lines are black enough there is'nt a problem..
DO set all the layers to "multiply"..... In my case 99% of my work is done this way......just make sure you use enough layers!!

Hope this has been usefull to you.... :-0

regards,

Arjen

coops
03-29-2013, 01:59 AM
These are so great and so colourful, well done:)

Caesar
03-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Well, perfect colors and textures rendering in Your second step. It looks like a simply magic procedure!:eek::cool:
I always have to struggle to either get nicely continuous and unique outlines and then with boundaries when using the fill tool settings to get no gap to the outlines; but I know that You get the former (the drawing outlines) manually, thus a better drawing than by tablet and, for the latter, I guess You rather go with stencil and stickers ....:rolleyes:

grayflo
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Arjen. That is very interesting. I must try that and see how Catherine (my colleague) and I get on.

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Meanwhile working on these two.....

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Arjen. That is very interesting. I must try that and see how Catherine (my colleague) and I get on.

I do hope you show some of the results!!

Arjen

limey-g
03-31-2013, 02:14 AM
Another couple of wonderfully funny illustrations , love the elephant swinging on the chandelier.:):):)
Geoff

kenmo
03-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Excellent work...love this thread....

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Candy store finished....

pai
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Aww, perfect timing for Easter candies too. So good to see your story keeps coming and great illustration :)

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-02-2013, 02:54 AM
Thx all!!

The more of your positive comments,the more fun it gets showing them to you!
Here's the latest (and last) of the cats....
That is.... For this book ;-)

kenmo
04-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Very nice indeed....

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Starting to work and finish the Rusty Knight book from chapter one untill the last page, reworking illustrations and fiddling about to improve the endresult.
Here's the Narrator who introduces each new chapter..
Have to do 9 variations on this one :-)

Hope you like it

Arjen

copespeak
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Can we buy this wonderful book Arjen? I would love to see your illustrations in context. :) :)

limey-g
04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Really neat Arjen, love the narrator he looks like a professor.
Geoff

pai
04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Haha..that "Window" illustration makes me smiling..love it :D:D

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Can we buy this wonderful book Arjen? I would love to see your illustrations in context. :) :)

hi Copespeak,

I'm affraid it will take a few months for the book to hit the stores, still working on the illustrations and the translation.......
here's a snippet of the text though.....To give you an impression :-)

"The pink elephant had woken up also with a full bladder…So a little wee had to be done.. And because the elephant was used to do his wee outside he made his way to the backdoor.. With his trunk he could just reach the doorknob and opened the door. “EEKKSS!”.. Panic!!! the half dozy pink friend was wide awake in a split second for he was standing in fresh snow with his bare feet… And if you would observe this scene from a distant you wouldn’t have known better than that you were looking at a big bouncing pink ball….
Panic……!!!
Now you may wonder…Is an elephant afraid of snow? Believe me.. that is not the case..
But our pink elephant is born in Africa and there he never had anything to do with snow….Even the rain is warm over there..
To tell you the truth… Even ice popsicles are on room temperature there!
The rusty Knight noticed the little elephant and walked towards the pink bouncing miracle… The trunk had withdrawn due to the cold which looked rather silly… But the rusty Knight tried hard not to chuckle and called out.. “Come over here…time for walkies!”
The elephant shook his head fiercefully and wasn’t going to change his mind about it…It turned around in the direction of the back door and set for a sprint in the direction of oven in the kitchen.
The Rusty Knight was just able to grab him by the tail, which caused the pink elephant to loose his grip, and shove him in the direction of the elephant’s privy behind the rose shrubbery.
There was nothing to be done but…..Wee!
Jumped inside immediately after that…invisible for the rest of the day…."

Hope it raises a smile :-)

Arjen

limey-g
04-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Well that sure raised a smile with me, the book when it comes out should be fun to read.
Geoff

Caesar
04-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Looking at Your kaleidoscopic set of different scenes I would say You manage to carry out simultaneously and in parallel several comics stories, all wonderfully illustrated! I like very much how You introduce some textures which appear toned down in sharpness to be perfectly consistant with the rest of Your comics style. For instance I kept looking with admiration to Your red sofa and its floreal motive, wondering how You succeeded to get that fabric effect with a constrast compatible with the distance it has from the near field of the vignette .... Bravissimo!

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Really neat Arjen, love the narrator he looks like a professor.
Geoff

Dear Geoff,

Without giving away too much......"The professor" is'nt what you think he is :-)
Thank you for the comment,will keep it in mind when i draw the next few ones!

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Looking at Your kaleidoscopic set of different scenes I would say You manage to carry out simultaneously and in parallel several comics stories, all wonderfully illustrated! I like very much how You introduce some textures which appear toned down in sharpness to be perfectly consistant with the rest of Your comics style. For instance I kept looking with admiration to Your red sofa and its floreal motive, wondering how You succeeded to get that fabric effect with a constrast compatible with the distance it has from the near field of the vignette .... Bravissimo!

Dear Ceasar,

AH...a compliment in Italian! Our first one!
The textures I use can be used by anyone working with Artrage.....I spend hours of experimenting with them,deleting layer after layer untill I finaly had a map on my hard disk with some textures i can and will use on a regular basis. The website is the site from cg textures

http://www.cgtextures.com/

Make sure You use textures with strong contrast in the picture though because that will improve results a lott!
The chanmail on the Rusty Knight for example is just a fabric texture,but in a darker tone than of the color underneath.
When I look back on my work from the past year I noticed that I tend to use more downtoned colors than before,less bright at least.
Probably (And I have to state that everytime) due to the fact that i learn so much looking at Nick's work......Although a completely different style it is some of the techniques which are used that can be applied to ones own work regardless of the style.

And now it's of to smuggle a little selfportrait into the book.... :-)
To be continued!

Thanks again Ceasar

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Very nice indeed....

Thanks Kenmo!

regards,

Arjen

Orkhan
04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
What a nice journey!... every reader is a pink elephant, and every knight a narrator :-)

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Haha..that "Window" illustration makes me smiling..love it :D:D

Dear Pai,

Here's another little excerpt from the chapter, hope you you like the combination of the text and illustration!

Arjen

"The cats observed the spectacle from behind the windowpane…they also had determined that snow was for fools and stayed inside in the cosey warmth.. Even our pink friend the elephant sat warmly in between the quintuplets and also stared trough the Geraniums. They buried the hatchet a couple of weeks ago..As long as the cats were well fed they didn’t crave for the elephant.Becoming close friends was out of the question but they left each other be.. A new thin layer of dust had set down on the chandelier."

D Akey
04-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Super!!!!!! Wonderful. If this doesn't become a cartoon I'll be surprised.

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Here are two more illustrations in the making...fiddle... fiddle.... fiddle..
6 more scanned waiting to get color in and on them..

I do apreciate all of your friendly and positive comments....And I do apologize for not responding to all of your work too....I find that there is just not enough hours in a day to do all the things I would like to do...

Arjen

Ulla
04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
I just went through all the pages of this thread and I love your illustrations! I especially like how determined your rusted knight looks on your last one, digging away the earth. It looks like he's got a headset and is listening to music, but that might be a rather wild interpretation. I also liked your story of the pink elephant not wanting to out to the privy because of the snow. Will there be an illustration covering that scene?
Looking forward to more of your art!

limey-g
04-11-2013, 06:03 AM
I love the one of the rusty knight digging down into the earth, just puzzling as to the reason, to find something or to bury something ?
With all that armour on does he ever break out in a sweat ?
Geoff ( still smiling )

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-11-2013, 06:43 AM
I just went through all the pages of this thread and I love your illustrations! I especially like how determined your rusted knight looks on your last one, digging away the earth. It looks like he's got a headset and is listening to music, but that might be a rather wild interpretation. I also liked your story of the pink elephant not wanting to out to the privy because of the snow. Will there be an illustration covering that scene?
Looking forward to more of your art!

Hi Ulla,

The illustration of the grumpy elephant is on page 3 of my thread :-) just above the rusty Knight rolling the snowball!

Thank you for your comment, the digging knight features in the story of Enak the giant dwarf whom diggs up a swamp in search of talent...The rusty Knight helps him seek this....Which results in a valley of flowers and the found talent which turns out to be 'perseverance'] [Zoek met Google naar 'perseverance"......

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-11-2013, 06:47 AM
I love the one of the rusty knight digging down into the earth, just puzzling as to the reason, to find something or to bury something ?
With all that armour on does he ever break out in a sweat ?
Geoff ( still smiling )

Hi Geoff,

I think i would not be allowed to draw a sweaty Knight....And my proposal to illustrate him in an old and muddy ACDC t-shirt would probably be dissaproved of :-)
But there are some minor issues to deal with in the drawing....will try and make him perspire a little :-)

chuckle :-)

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-17-2013, 05:03 AM
From winter straight into the fall......

D Akey
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
What a tremendous paint treatment. Love the broken color gradations and lost and found line. Feels hand done. And of course your drawings seem to get better and better all the time. Good composition. Good angle and positioning of the animals etc.

pat1940
04-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Always admire your work Arjen and this is great work again

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks D Akey and Pat!

Here is the latest of the large illustrations almost done...Just a few smaller drawings and then the book will be finished!

pai
04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
yay ! i have been waiting to see when you will post about the finishing of the story book with the latest illustrations. Love these last two drawings especially the Fall one :)

Caesar
04-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Dear Arjen, it's a sheer physical pleasure to look at Your vignettes! Thank you also for Your useful indication about texture value. I wish You all the best for Your delightful comics!

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Just a small one..
Managed to smuggle a little self portrait into the book..

justjean
04-25-2013, 07:40 AM
All are wonderful

limey-g
04-25-2013, 07:57 AM
He He that is so cute, of course you did this standing in front of the mirror :) :)
Geoff

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
He He that is so cute, of course you did this standing in front of the mirror :) :)
Geoff

Dear Geoff,

that is why I hesitate to post a self portrait in the after 9 o'clock section..... :-)
Mirrors don't show me all that well......

Arjen

D Akey
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks D Akey and Pat!

Here is the latest of the large illustrations almost done...Just a few smaller drawings and then the book will be finished!

I am a great admirer of yours. So any criticism is made as a way of avoiding problems showing up after you've gone to print. Your work is very professional and I trust you will do very well.

However, I have one minor criticism. His hand holding the shovel should look like it's holding the handle more convincingly. Right now it appears that the handle is behind his hand. I think the issue is in the thumb position which is more like an empty fist rather than grasping around a pole. You could perhaps drop and overlap it over the other fingers a little exposing a bit of the handle coming through the grasp more.

Great stuff as always.

coops
04-25-2013, 11:48 PM
These are all so very very good and love the portrait, its such fun:)

pai
04-26-2013, 02:21 AM
wow, Mr. Dakey really has "sharp" eyes. I won't see it if he didn't point it out. :rolleyes: Haha..love your self-portrait one too..interesting to paint yourself like that...a story behind it? :p;):) You're so professional !

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks Pai and Coops!

D Akey,
Please do feel free to feedback me on my work, I do know that there are a lot of issues for me to work on.
Tried to improve the handling of the spade he is holding...still not perfect I'm affraid but a tiny improvement I do hope..

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I really dig the digger! He looks great. Great grasping of the shovel in this one for sure (in the above pic of the rusty knight digging a hole).

I will delete this photo I'm going to attach once I know you've seen it. I can't think of a way to be clear other than showing you what I mean. It's rather trivial, but here's what I'm going on about.

Please let me know when you've seen it and I'll delete this one I've attached.

What you do is huge. You 'wrote' a story in your pictures. I'm merely doing the equivalent of crossing a 'T'. A small matter. Beautiful work. Please look at the thumb on the hand holding the shovel.

Dear D Akey,

Thx for showing me Enak with the right way of holding the shuffle..... This means that I'm sloppy sometimes or lack concentration.
With the use of my own reference it wil not be a enormous job of getting the hand right.
But I now do feel that the two weeks holiday which are coming up are needed to get the battery fully charged again and refrain me from making these kinds of cock ups (and I do feel that they are..)
Thank you so much for pointing out how to improve my work!!
You do need to create some distance from your work so every once in a while....Thank you for dragging me backwards a few meters :-)

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
04-26-2013, 08:51 AM
I could delete mine if you want to erase the last two. Not wanting to point out flaws. Yes/No?

Just let them be!
Maybe there are some useful tips for our fellow Artragers... And please DO point out flaws! I just want the book to be a succes..And improve on every aspect of my work!

Arjen

D Akey
04-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Oh, okay. Well you have the body of the text quoted. So here's the pic again.

Enjoy your holiday. It's very well deserved!75220

Caesar
05-01-2013, 02:05 AM
This thread of Yours, dear Arjen, is just magical! APPLAUSE!

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

Back from a short holliday.
Bought a new monitor and WOW.... What a difference it makes :-)
So to to try it out here's one of the Rusty Knight whom was hiding somewhere on the drawing table...

Jogging around the holy oak with parsley in your ears is a profound way of getting rid of tooth ache!

regards,

Arjen

Caesar
05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Wonderful! As far as i can see this knight is already spiced and stuffed in view of a dragon roasting and eating! LOL;)

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-09-2013, 11:31 PM
If all else fails.........
Reworked this one..

limey-g
05-10-2013, 01:11 AM
I remember this one so well as the first time I saw it I had a dentist appointment that same morning.
It still makes me smile.
Geoff

D Akey
05-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Hahaha. Love the parsley in the ear for a toothache. I wonder what they did do back in the day before dentistry.

Barroom fights as a way to extract teeth if I can judge by some of the old Breughel era scenes of tavern life with people so ready to scrap. They don't have many visual records from the feudal days regarding dentistry, but I bet perhaps they would joust on charging horseback to remove teeth.

Your pictures are quite fun. Always so much to take in and enjoy. Love the dentist's chair as an example of your kind of detailing. Very inventive and whimsical.

Alexandra
05-10-2013, 04:00 AM
excellent illustrations!

coops
05-11-2013, 12:30 AM
I love looking at your work as there is always so much to see and not always at first glance. Great work:)

grayflo
05-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Oh dear! I am booked with the dentist on Monday to have a tooth extracted! I hope h s more high tech than this one!

limey-g
05-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh dear! I am booked with the dentist on Monday to have a tooth extracted! I hope h s more high tech than this one!

Maybe you should check to make sure your dentist is not a relative of Arjen :) :)

grayflo
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Limy, that's good advice! LOL!

Caesar
05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Poor rusty boy! He's being re-worked ... by such a vigorous denstist! LOL:D You're about to reach Your style perfection peaks and put Your flag on!:eek::cool:

pai
05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
hahaha..:D

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh boy....
I think I started a sort of "of topic" thread here :-)
hey all.... To make things worse for all of you, here's a little excerpt from the dentist chapter... :-0
Enjoy!
And...Thanks all for the feedback and compliments!

"Many a passer-by brought the Rusty Knight some good advice but the right one didn’t come by. The pain stays and has spread to molars,incisors and front teeth. The pain is radiating out to both ears.. So it’s easy to say that it got worse.
The word “dentist” was discussed a few times but the rusty Knight wouldn’t hear of it.
He never visited a dentist before, and by the way…it was not necessary up until now because the rusty Knight was blessed from his childhood on with a bright and healthy smile. A small chip was missing from an eye tooth due to falling of his rocking horse which stampeded, but the rusty Knight could live with that. Whatever happened…He didn’t want to go to the dentist! He knew of the stories from all those whom, very loyal, let themselves torture every six months.

Somehow he was allways interested in the stories they told afterwards..Whom where exaggerated immensely…That’s how it goes.
All the way from the big chairs in which you were strapped…On both wrists and ankles so you couldn’t go anywhere. From singing saws and screaming drills from up to half a meter whom drilled itself a path through many a rooth canal..
Extracted teeth and molars..everywhere, up to the ceiling and the dentist was large broad shouldered with bloodshed eyes…Always looking as if he hadn’t eaten in weeks, eating all which came in his way…And we didn’t even mention his trembling and sneezing at the wrong moment.
And if you didn’t open your mouth wide enough you were smacked around the ears or worse…you were put in a dark closet and locked up. Many a villager had disappeared mysteriously never to be seen again!"

Regards,

Arjen

limey-g
05-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Well Arjen the words certainly live up to the illustration, thank goodness I have about 5 weeks before my next dental checkup so that should be enough time to calm my nerves after reading of the Rusty Knights experience. :eek::eek::eek:
Geoff

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Thank you Limey!

I did not by any means try to frighten you.... Errr...maybe only just a little bit :-)
Meanwhile... just finished the last double page illustration for the book...Finaly!
It's the group photo where obviously everything goes wrong.... Look at the birdy isn't always a sensible thing to say..
84 X 30 cm!

Arjen

kenmo
05-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Love the updates....

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-15-2013, 09:11 AM
First layers of color.
Artrage is struggling with this piece!!

Arjen

copespeak
05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Just amazing Arjen! I can see how AR is up to capacity working on this. Thanks for showing us; it's great to see an illustrator working. :cool:

D Akey
05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
What a magnificent finish to an amazing project!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

And may you gain fame and income in great abundance. . . and a medical plan with a better dentist. . .

Go Argen Go!!!!!!!! Sell millions!

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-17-2013, 09:02 AM
You all deserve a signed copy!
By the author that is.... My work just ads to the fun to read hopefully!

Had a big Artrage crash yesterday evening, no memory left according to the screen so all the work got lost!
GRRRR!!
Had to redo 3 hours of work... Yep I know...SAFE YOUR WORK!! But I was just to eager to finish that particular layer.... Stupid me.learned my lesson!
And Artrage only used 865mb of my memory...(he sad sinicaly....)

So hope you can spot where the illustration is heading.

Regards,

Arjen

kenmo
05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Brilliant work... thanks for sharing....

copespeak
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Ouch! Isn't that feeling of dread awful when you lose you work? You look at the screen with sinking heart, praying that it will magically reappear, and it doesn't .... :(

Caesar
05-17-2013, 07:15 PM
This is the great final, all people and characters together in this awful collective picture "en plein air"! CLAP, CLAP! :eek::cool::):):):):):)

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Ceasar saves the day!!
:D:D:D:D

So..Almost done with this one!

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Finished.
No composition to be found,but in the proces of taking a group photo everything went wrong.......

drawing4art
05-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Just love looking at all your work, your are so very talented ;) It always makes me smile.

pai
05-21-2013, 07:38 PM
what a happy ending image you did. congratulation to this amazing story book :)

Arjen Vriezekolk
06-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Last of the first book and the first few of the second :-)
We'll just continue..Haven't even found a publisher or an literary agent yet but it is too much fun to wait for something magic to happen......

Happy Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
06-04-2013, 06:01 AM
And the last one.....

Mirithiar
06-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Those are great! They make me feel like a kid again - I just want to get my hands on them and start colouring in to see where they take me. I especially like the animals :)

limey-g
06-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Wonderful Arjen, you are so creative and the important thing, they always make me smile.
Geoff

pai
06-09-2013, 11:59 AM
love the last three sketches of the wild animals. so lovable the ways you illustrated them, look forward to your second book on this one now :)

D Akey
06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
bravo!!!!!

Arjen Vriezekolk
06-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Another few steps.
Being busy with the ending of the school year, so there is little time to work on my illustrations.

Arjen

pai
06-19-2013, 12:56 PM
So great to see it from your draft to this colorful version. It brings joy and fun too to look at each character.

coops
06-20-2013, 05:49 AM
As always briliant work from you, so colourful and amusing:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
06-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Almost summer holliday!
The pink elephant is already ready........

kaiko
07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
What a lovely way to live our life...
what a lovely way!!!
Drawing... painting...

coops
07-08-2013, 08:17 PM
I love this elephant, he is so cute:)

Caesar
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
More astounding comics stripes here! Have wonderful summer holidays too!

Arjen Vriezekolk
07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the lovely comments once again!
Haven't been around for a while... But it's time to get back to work.
Finishing the book, adding the last details...
Just the last work in progress..
So here is the very last! Promise...really....the last.... :-)

limey-g
07-11-2013, 01:42 AM
I always like this last illustration with the elephant swinging from the light fixture, always makes me laugh.
Geoff

D Akey
07-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Yeah, cinematic and comedic. Reminds me a little of the wildness of the pie throwing fight in the movie The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon and Natalie Wood. . . and so many other slapstick comedies. Out of control. I very much like your ability to create scenes in detail like this and this whole book actually. Thanks for posting these as they have developed. You now have anchored a very real and very substantial creation you can be proud of.

Arjen Vriezekolk
07-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks D Akey :-)

Started sketching on the second book, but had to finish some illustrations for the first.....

Regards,

Arjen

limey-g
07-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Your illustrations are so wonderful Arjen, they sure bring a smile to my face and with what we are going through now a very welcome smile.
Geoff

Arjen Vriezekolk
07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Your illustrations are so wonderful Arjen, they sure bring a smile to my face and with what we are going through now a very welcome smile.
Geoff

Oh dear Geoff,

Hope that everything is ok?

Arjen

coops
07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Another set of wonderful illustrations and the colours are so vibrant. Looks like you are drawing our dear Eighty Plus lol:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
07-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks Coops :-)

Here's the finished illustration of the fair..
Hope you like this one also :-)

Arjen

copespeak
07-20-2013, 09:31 AM
So much to see! I like this one very much!

Your work always makes me smile! :)

pai
07-20-2013, 10:32 AM
me, smile too :)

Arjen Vriezekolk
07-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Oh well...... Too hot to stay outside for to long, so the best way to get through the day is behind the monitor........

Caesar
07-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Forunately the knight didn't fall in the pool, otherwise he would become the Rustier Knight! LOL:o:D Most lovable and masterful stripes. Funny and joyful little pearls of comics.

sreekumar
07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
:)Beautiful imagination...

kenmo
07-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Outstanding...what magical images you're creating.... Pure delight to view...

Arjen Vriezekolk
08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Wish I had another 7 weeks to go....

But it's back to work so here are another two I did this week, or at least finished...
Sort of..

Arjen

justjean
08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
How wonderful, each is a delightful scene both in drawing and colouring :):):):)

copespeak
08-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Just beautiful work as always! I love the dozing tigers ..... very expressive! :cool:

limey-g
08-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Love the one with the tigers, looking across our kitchen floor the scene is much the same minus the knight but cats sleeping around the place.
Geoff

CapricornCaz
08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
You are very talented!

pai
08-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Aww, love the Storm one, the last one. :)

sabena
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Just one WORD BRAVO

kenmo
08-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Fantastic work.....:cool::cool::cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
08-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Thank you all again for the encouraging comments....Makes me want to create more :-)
Here's the second autumn illustration...
Hope you like it as much as the first one.76840

regards,

Arjen

Mirithiar
08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Lovely, as always! I really like your style, wish I could create illustrations half as great as yours. I love that somehow they seem both simple and very detailed at the same time.

Caesar
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
We may say You're an illustrator for all seasons! ;) Marvellous as usual, drawings, textures and all the rest!

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Been a while....

Rather busy with work which I can't show just yet.
Yesterday something stupid happened...after working for 6 hours without saving (I'll just finish this little part.....) Artrage went blanc and then just dissapeared.....Losing 6 hours of work..... Well....Not the most pleasant partner for the rest of the evening....
This is the progress I made after that.....Being a long way from finished but i wanted to share the effort (again.. :-( ) with you bunch of lovely people...

Also working on a poem to accompany the illustration..

D Akey
10-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Serial killer John Wayne Gacy really put the nail in the coffin for the reputation for clowns forever, poor clowns. . . hahaha.

Your work is wonderful and you're really getting into the effects that the computer does so well. Nice fog effect.

Take care that when you begin going very light or very dark that whoever prints your work is adept enough to handle subtleties in the printing. On the computer monitor this should not be as much of a problem. Often times printers do color correction to a page and so long as the rest of the publication is similar then it will work. If however there is a lot of variance among the images, this could present problems. Press checks are important as a time to go in and make sure this stuff is corrected before the final print run. As the artist, you would want to look at it if the publisher allows for that to insure everything looks right.

I love your drawings. Great fun and lavishly descriptive.

Caesar
10-14-2013, 08:05 PM
You had a quite fruitful period, as far as I can see from Your marvellous additions! Bravissimo!

coops
10-16-2013, 12:03 AM
These latest are as always terrific but I really love the old gentleman, can I adopt him???? great work:)

SCP
10-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Awesome works,really enjoyed the Clowns! hahah.One of my pet subject matter for my own works.Great to see more of your work Arjen.:cool::cool::cool::cool:;)

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Thx, D Akey,

This shouldn't be that much of a problem since the illustration was meant to be shown or published digitaly only.
The trouble is....And that wil be obvious in the final illustration that sometimes an idea sounds and feels great but the result is very dissapointing.
to say the least....

My printer has a lot of experience with printing my stuff that I'm mostly very happy with the results!

Regards,

Arjen

Serial killer John Wayne Gacy really put the nail in the coffin for the reputation for clowns forever, poor clowns. . . hahaha.

Your work is wonderful and you're really getting into the effects that the computer does so well. Nice fog effect.

Take care that when you begin going very light or very dark that whoever prints your work is adept enough to handle subtleties in the printing. On the computer monitor this should not be as much of a problem. Often times printers do color correction to a page and so long as the rest of the publication is similar then it will work. If however there is a lot of variance among the images, this could present problems. Press checks are important as a time to go in and make sure this stuff is corrected before the final print run. As the artist, you would want to look at it if the publisher allows for that to insure everything looks right.

I love your drawings. Great fun and lavishly descriptive.

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Thx, Coops...

Wouldn't you rather adopt the Rusty Knight instead of the old man?
Or................. maybe they are the same person? :-)

Regards,

Arjen

These latest are as always terrific but I really love the old gentleman, can I adopt him???? great work:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Wish I had!!

A bit stuck....Leaves are falling and I'd rather hide under a blanket in a corner and wait for spring to come...
:-)

Arjen

You had a quite fruitful period, as far as I can see from Your marvellous additions! Bravissimo!

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
As you can see sometimes things just don't work out the way you intended...
Puts me back with my feet firmly on the ground again.....Back to the basics....learn how to draw Arjen!

Arjen

copespeak
10-23-2013, 12:13 AM
I really like it! It's kinda creepy and atmospheric with the mist, and I think your drawing is wonderful. No wonder some people are frightened of clowns. :cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Another one to adopt Coops.. :-)

coops
10-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Ahhhh thanks, I am sure you have our dear Eighty posing for you. This is terrific:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Hope you like the final one.....

Henry Stahle
10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
As always you are making exellent drawings, very dynamic and fun. Colourful and just like comics should look...

Caesar
10-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I see Your character is relaxing a bit on his armchair while Your clowns removed their disguise and became zombies for Halloween (I wonder if You're among them since I read Your name on a tombstone LOL:o), all in Your marvellous comix style. Great!

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
And a happy new year to all of you wonderful people here on the artrage forums!

Arjen Vriezekolk

D Akey
12-19-2013, 09:55 AM
What a great card! Hahha. Nice bringing out the whole cast to join in the festivities -- sort of like Santa's sleigh bearing gifts and toys which are essentially what you create with your creativity because they're so delightful.

Best wishes for you and your book! Thanks for the holiday greeting!

copespeak
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
A wonderful card!! :) :) :) :)

Caesar
12-19-2013, 08:45 PM
This marvellous card in Your style is for sure a powerful talisman for keeping always a happy and smiling mood, thus a way to attract good luck! Thank You and all the best to You and Your beloved for these Christmas holidays and all over the 2014!

Arjen Vriezekolk
01-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Wishing you all a great 2014... And a very creative one!

Here's the first of the year... A work in progress indeed.. Trying to get the "Rusty Knight" into a 4 panel comic without text....
Just experimenting :-)

D Akey
01-04-2014, 04:46 AM
And another very creative year for you too, Arjen!

Work in progress? Are you talking about developing something? Looks complete to me. Maybe you meant a 4 panel "progression?" Anyway, it looks great. Seems like you have been aiming for charm in so much of your cartooning, and from what I've seen, you certainly get lots of of that very appealing flavor into your work.

I hope your Rusty Knight can get famous if not already. It's a distinct flavor and that helps build an audience. With your ability to draw so well, love love love. Love is all you (in particular) need.

Go man go!!!!

justjean
01-04-2014, 05:53 AM
I have just gone through this thread once again :) and you are a wonderful artist with great imagination

copespeak
01-04-2014, 09:20 AM
A really sweet little story, and beautifully rendered as always! Of course, it might ask the question, does the snowman melt with the heat of the fire? :)

Caesar
01-05-2014, 07:40 AM
After so mach work the snowman isn't going to last by the fire, but it made me remind of a vignette with a couple of snowmen, on e telling to the other that the mail in his hand announced that he won a free sunbathing session on a solarium ... LOL:o

Arjen Vriezekolk
02-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi All,

Been a while since my last post. Sorry about that!
Thanks for all the friendly and funny comments,always a pleasure to read.
Here's another page in progress, just experimenting with the stories from the book and trying to make them work as a one page gag.

Everybody gets their socks stolen.... mine do!

regards,

Arjen79445

Arjen Vriezekolk
02-18-2014, 10:38 PM
probably it has something to do with the monitor or the way Artrage handles the colors and colorprofile but I notice that the shadows seem to be much brighter now.

Or maybe it's just the crappy monitor and the XP windows here in my classroom that I have to deal with?
Colors should be more bright and the shadows much deeper....

Arjen

Caesar
02-19-2014, 02:31 AM
It's another wonderful addition. :cool: The cellar light and environment are very well depicted.
There's possibly only a little flaw, if my eyes aren't deceiving me, i.e. the second vignette with the knight climbing the stairs seems to show two right feet, I think (looking at the big toes position) ...:rolleyes::confused:

coops
02-20-2014, 04:17 AM
So much detail in these, well done once again on great paintings:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
03-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks all for the compliments.
I know that I'm a bit egocentric here on the forum due to my lack of response to other peoples posts but I promise to react more often from now on...
Here's the latest Rusty Knight comic. I'm planning of doing a lot more inbetween the illustrations for the Rusty Knight's children books.
Hope you like this one.

Arjen

coops
03-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Another wonderful set of paintings, well done once again:)

SilverO
03-08-2014, 01:33 AM
This one is funny. I like it.
I like your drawing style, reminds me of the comics I used to read :)

copespeak
03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Terrific! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

Been busy lately so I didn't post new work for a couple of weeks.
Here's the first illustration of the second book about the Rusty Knight we are working on.
Hope you like it.

Arjen

limey-g
05-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Just love your illustrations, always bring a smile to my face.
Really like the pink elephant on that far too thin a branch for his weight.
Keep them coming.
Geoff

copespeak
05-11-2014, 08:46 AM
I also love to see your latest work. Your illustrations are so rich in detail, it's a joy to wander through them and find a new little story and character telling us something. Wonderful!

D Akey
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Super. Congratulations on starting your second book. The first must have been a hit. Good on ya, mate. Luck to the current one. Your style is really settled in. Fun and diverting story-telling.

pai
05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
It's so good to see you post another great "wild zoo" illustration of your 2nd book. So much details to keep looking at. Looking forward to read how the story is in your next post :)

coops
05-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Looks like the ducks are hatching their own plot, great work again:)

Caesar
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM
It's a real visual pleasure to look at Your marvellous illustrations and feel almost inside them!

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Hi All,

Thanks again for all the wonderfull comments! I really do appreciate them!
Here's another one in stages.... The final and finished stage and illustration will be posted within the next few days :-)

Love to hear your feedback.

Regards,

Arjen

D Akey
05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Good that you have color to separate the images. There's a lot going on and you draw very well. If you do happen to ever do BW only on certain big scenes, cheat the staging so your main character is not swallowed by the surroundings, even if that's the idea you want to get across (like being in a thick jungle or something). In other words (in other pictures) you might want to think about simplifying the stuff that's immediately around and behind him. Nothing radical. Just so he has a little air.

But in color it works great because you can create separation with it so we can spot the key elements in the story.

I still marvel at your pics. They're really well crafted. You have a lot of energy. :):):):):)

Oh, and what happened to the hot air balloon in the later pics? Is it going to animate? I think it would help to see it because right now there's room for something interesting there and it's a good story point, I should think.

justjean
05-22-2014, 10:50 AM
So much to look at and admire, love your scene and colours along with your wonderful drawings and story

Whimsical86
05-22-2014, 12:33 PM
great looking stuff

Caesar
05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Your rusty knight comix must be a best-seller over there, as delightful and funny as it looks from Your excellent style! I see a lot of progress in Your skills from the start, even considering that You took off from a master level since inception!

coops
05-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Love this one but I want to shout out "LOOK OUT THEY ARE WATCHING YOU" great work again:)

Arjen Vriezekolk
05-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Wil try to respond to them first thing tomorrow, but for now I just wanted to post the finished illustration.
Well..... Almost finished... But my eyesight gets less,or completely lost after a long day staring at paper,pupils and a bright Samsung screen so I will save and switch off for this evening :-)
Hope you like the jungle illustration.

Good night and have a great snore....

Arjen

pai
05-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Yay ! finally see the final version. Your illustrations both from sketch til finished version, always looking forward to see and look into details to see what i can find, and I am smiling when seeing them. Is that a kitty hanging just in front of the air balloon? Haha, the expression is so funny and just lovely ! Why is the crocodile so upset..haha :D

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Wish you all a wonderfull 2015

Arjen

D Akey
12-30-2014, 07:18 AM
I was wondering what happened to you. Happy New year to you as well! May your rusty knight and his lady extremely fair have wonderful stories to tell for your great illustrations. :):):):):)

kenmo
12-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Enjoying this thread and love the comic strip additions....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-30-2014, 11:46 PM
D Akey... Hide in your shell is not only a Supertramp song... :-)
But there is a new year coming and with that a lot of good intentions :-)

And one of them is to stay behind one season with my drawings..... Eh...sort of...

Regards

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
01-04-2015, 02:07 AM
Catching up on the seasons :-)

D Akey
01-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Catching up on the seasons :-)

Women. (sheesh!) They always keep us waiting while they powder their nose.

Very good detail and the scenes are always so charming. Well done! :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):) :):):)

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Hi All,

I had to do a christmass page, alternative tree this year for the Night. Last year's tree got knocked over by the tigers...
Enjoy!

D Akey
12-13-2016, 01:07 AM
Very steady style. Must feel great to have found it and kept it consistent.

Happy holidays to you and your characters.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Very steady style. Must feel great to have found it and kept it consistent.

Happy holidays to you and your characters.

Thank you D Akey :-)

I'm still struggling with my style, always unhappy with the way things turn out. But I'll have to maintain this way of working for another 23 pages untill the second comic book is finished. After that I'm trying to alter a few things about the characters that I'm not happy with..

regards,

Arjen

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-18-2016, 09:43 PM
I wish you all a creative 2017!

D Akey
12-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Breugel had nothing on you! Already got a famous Breugel the Elder and Breugel the Younger. Have to call you Breugel the Latter.

So my question is whether this is a Christmas card or an editorial cautioning that those draped displays are actually missiles like a sort of Trojan Horse? With all that's been going on, one can't help but wonder how jolly things are really.

Well, your style says jolly, and I'm going with that interpretation.

So Happy Holidays - for real. And hoping for Peace on Earth and Joy to the World and all that.

Be well.

Arjen Vriezekolk
12-22-2016, 03:57 AM
Hahaha :-)

No missiles whatsoever..... Just ordinary fireworks!
My first thought was to ad text: A big bang (in theory) But the catlovers in my humble house made it clear that it was the shed for me for months due to the cat clinging on to the cloth....

And to be compared with Breugel is a huge compliment!
Thank you for that..... At least it isn't Bosch......

gxhpainter
12-22-2016, 07:30 AM
love your work, rich colors and great details....I am fan of the Rusty Knight for sure :):):):):cool::cool::cool:

Arjen Vriezekolk
01-08-2017, 12:46 AM
A new page.

Sometimes the 'old' is still much more fun than the modern times |:-)