PDA

View Full Version : Poker Cat

Enap66
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

copespeak
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Ha ha! Very clever! Bigger, so we can see better?

Enap66
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Ha ha! Very clever! Bigger, so we can see better?

Hi and thanks for your comment. Is there anyway to upload larger? If so, I'd appreciate it. Here are a couple of more...

Tony

copespeak
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
The first one could just be cropped a bit then enlarged to fit that space. The others are great fun! You're on a roll. :cool:

screenpainter
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
It's about time the cats got a chance at the poker! ;)
These are fun!

drawing4art
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Love them, great fun art :)

coops
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
These are all so amusing and such fun:)

D Akey
03-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Hahahaha. I always wondered what happened when the musical ended what the cast did between performances. Andrew Lloyd Webber's CAST - the Sequel to CATS.

Fun pics. Well done.

justjean
03-07-2013, 04:29 AM
:D now thats a bunch of cool cats :D

Enap66
03-07-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm trying to get something going where I draw, then embellish with acrylics paintings of people's animals doing fun things. It got accepted on "kickstarter" but didn't get too much attention. I purchased the domain "peticatures" as well to get a website going. I learned that kickstarter isn't as easy as one may think! So it's back to the local shelters, vets, etc where I'll be donating part of the sales to the shelters, starting with "peggy adams" here in West Palm...

Thanks again!

D Akey
03-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Hmmm. If I may make a technical suggestion as to why you may have not had as much attention as these deserve:

Your line is very cool but slim and super delicate. Conversely, your color is bold and contrasty. And it sort of kills the drawings which are the feature you want to show off. So I would recommend that you have a far fainter use of color -- something that blends more in with the white of the paper, like a faint hint of color in the pastel family.

For evaluation, as you apply the paint, look at what you actually see, not so much what you know is there. A trick to change the context is to maybe flip the page horizontally and vertically so things aren't where you put them and it may give you a fresh eye. A fresh eye is one of the hardest things to have for someone who has been working on something like a painting or story etc. By nature, our mind fixes problems so flaws become invisible. And so we resort to tricks to refresh our looks at what we've been doing.

Because your story is in the drawings, your mind is saying the drawings are bolder than they are to the eye. It's because you put a lot of thought into the drawings and they are alive to you and dominate no matter what the color does. It doesn't work the same way to the audience who are looking at it cold for the first time. They have to sort through the color to see what's going on. Most people won't if it requires effort on their part.

Think of it like preparing a meal. If there's too much salt, people won't eat it. Contrast is like a seasoning. Color should be there in something like this to merely enhance the drawing.

Enap66
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm going to read it a few times and try and wrap my mind around that one. I just started drawing last year, at age 39 so it's all very new to me. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks again!

Tony

D Akey
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm going to read it a few times and try and wrap my mind around that one. I just started drawing last year, at age 39 so it's all very new to me. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks again!

Tony

Sure.

To put it a different way:

Your drawings tell your story. The line part of the cartoons are getting lost because the color neither conforms exactly to the shapes you drew (which causes the shapes to get lost because the edges of the color are all over the place and not too descriptive in themselves), nor does the color lay back letting the black of the outline drawings be the clearest part.

What I'm suggesting is that you let your characters read easily. Think 'acting'. Contrast tends to pull the eye. And right now the dominant part of your cartoons is the loose color rather than the line work. Your story is being told in your delicate line work and so the color should step way back and not shout over that.

It's like if you were listening to a songbird in a nightclub singing an intimate torch song and the drunks at the tables are singing the same song, off tempo, out of key and loudly over her. If you are going to have a raucous audience, you are going to need to keep the audience in line where they're being dominated by the singer. So with this kind of color you used, you need a bolder, interesting line.

I applaud you for starting drawing. By all means, have fun with it and see what happens when you make marks. The way to do it is to do it. Then assess what the results are and have another go with what you learn along the way. And repeat as needed. We all learn that way.

Your cartoons themselves have charm and you clearly have a sense of humor. Now it's just the form to focus on so people will respond to your humor. Sort of like telling a joke. There are levels of joke telling. Even with comics who make a career out of rambling, staying with the joke in the telling connects with the listener better. They always tell it in a way where what they want you to hear is delivered clearly, from slapstick to absurd off the wall jumps to sharp one liners. Same thing with cartooning.

None of this is to discourage you. Just opening up some new ways to look at it so you can get where you want to be faster. Go go go!

Enap66
03-08-2013, 03:33 AM
What you're saying is that my 'lines' need to be more apparent or rather stand out more? The color inside the lines are drowning out the rest of the picture, and the picture (being that it is based on my outlines) is being dulled down some by that? I will try and work on the lines and resubmit. And if you don't mind, could I get another opinion? Thanks...

Tony

D Akey
03-08-2013, 03:51 AM
What you're saying is that my 'lines' need to be more apparent or rather stand out more? The color inside the lines are drowning out the rest of the picture, and the picture (being that it is based on my outlines) is being dulled down some by that? I will try and work on the lines and resubmit. And if you don't mind, could I get another opinion? Thanks...

Tony

Yes, Tony. If the color stays that intense the line could go heavier and/or the color conform to the shapes for an easier read.

I would love to hear some more feedback for you too since I sort of overwhelmed this. Didn't mean to scare away the people with praise (pretty much everyone else). There's much to like about these.