PDA

View Full Version : Dova

copespeak
03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
New baby painting.

screenpainter
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
to me that is the beauty of ArtRage. It looks just like a painting and a very fine one it is. first the composition, the fine drawing and painting and the color palette. really stunning.

copespeak
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks Albert, she's a wonderful subject! Oil painting softened with pastel on canvas. Works really well.

byroncallas
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm with Albert. Terrific work.

copespeak
03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Thank Byron. I would like to get it more 'painterly' and will work towards achieving that. I love Landseer's work, see:

I've got a beautiful book of old dog art and will have to get that out for inspiration. Challenges.... I love them! :D

NatureWorks
03-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Very nice painting, very nicely done

kenmo
03-05-2013, 01:09 AM
A very beautiful painting.... :cool::cool::cool:

D Akey
03-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Feels like a planned painting. Care was given and you have a good likeness of the dog no doubt. Certainly reads clearly so I assume it looks very much like this dog.

Nice colors. Love the articulation in the paws and head. Didn't you say you were a dog groomer? It shows even though a short hair requires less coiffing. You seem familiar with attending to similar areas. I don't know a lot about grooming dogs but I seem to recall some of them, like poodles, need the hair between the toes trimmed out. And this would bring your attention to details to those areas in painting apparently.

Oh, and I just saw the tuxedo one. Very nice anatomical detailing as well as the trompe l'oel environment. Very formal. Heh. Cute too.

limey-g
03-05-2013, 03:14 AM
This is really good Robyn, love how you have used the light to bring out the muscle tones in the legs.
I see she has made herself right at home, you must have been easy to train :):)
Geoff

justjean
03-05-2013, 03:38 AM
A lovely painting of a most lovely puppy, Robyn

copespeak
03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Mr Akey, yes, I know dogs like the back of my hand, how the hair runs and the feet are constructed. It was painted with great care, which is probably not the look I wanted. Some great artists have been described as carefully constructing a brush stroke so it looks like it has been casually dropped in, which I find really interesting. Of course, constructing that stroke can be even more complicated in AR, though it can be erased easily to make way for a better one.

Geoff, yes she has made herself right at home. She is highly intelligent and 'yowls' when bored or can't get her toy out from somewhere. She's got a lovely mateship with Zara, and they race around together at break neck speed. Zara needs a clip, but I don't want to take the 'cushion' of hair off while those needle teeth are biting. All in all, she's an absolute joy, and we have a patch over the hole in our heart from losing our Lily.

Aunt_Betsy
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Lovely painting Robyn! Nice profile.

hypotaxis
03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
That's such a wonderful painting Robyn. I am filled with admiration.

Brett

copespeak
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Thank you Brett and Aunt Betsy. This is so addictive, I need a gel cushion to put on my computer chair! :D

Caesar
03-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Well, You're not far from Your stated aim, dear lady! This painting is really excellent. Maybe You should try to go a little thicker and with some metallic to see if the finishing look more painterly.

coops
03-06-2013, 01:14 AM
What a brilliant painting this is, you really excelled yourself with this one:)

copespeak
03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Thank you Coops, and Caesar, I know that's what I should do.... maybe I'll start with squeezing out the paint tube! Metallic? Hmmmm...

screenpainter
03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
your painting reminds me very much of the painting style of Edward Hopper. I love your style just as it is. And even as much as you know about the subject it doesn't get too technical at all. It has a wonderful painterly look in my opinion. The use of color and line is exquisite. Thanks for the tip on the chalk on top the oil. It would be wonderful to watch you paint.

copespeak
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
You're very kind Albert. Yes, there are plenty of artists who do clean lines, and it seems I am one.

The chalk is wonderful to soften the hard edges and give a more painterly effect. To watch me paint that would have taken all day, and then some!

drawing4art
03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Your painting is lovely, as is Dova :)

Caesar
03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Some tests with oil and tubes (and knives). Left no metallic, right over 50% metallic, same base colors. Shadowy dark spots by airspray. Try also with some lower pressure and over 50% dilution oil combination in case.
You may also work, obviously, on color levels to enhance the chroma here and there. I hope You'll get a more oil brilliant finishing. Using more layers, You may use "velature" more or less transparent enough glazing, I mean and also some blending mode test.
Good luck. I wish to set the adjustments You are looking for to simulate a classical oil painting.

copespeak
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
You're very kind Drawing4art, thank you.

Thanks also for that information Caesar! I will have a scratch around and see how it comes up. :cool:

Marilyn Anne
03-07-2013, 11:45 AM
The dog is marvelous as is the setting.