PDA

View Full Version : Lucrezia Borgia Portrait with a steam twist...

rasmus
03-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Hi everyone =)

I did this for the "History in Steam" Contest over at gameartisans.org... it has been a back and forth between AR and PS but i wanted to share it with you guys anyway. I hope you like it...

-Rasmus

artsy fartsy
03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
love it!! ..very well done -- nice style and i love the lighting and mood

thanks for sharing!

Chad W Greene

byroncallas
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Hard to not like. It's excellent work. Thanks for giving us a chance to see it. Post more. :):)

limey-g
03-04-2013, 12:54 AM
This is really good, nice use of lighting, what was the original canvas size ?
Geoff

justjean
03-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Great painting and great mood :)

coops
03-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Fabulous painting, well done:)

D Akey
03-05-2013, 04:48 AM
She's very seductive in your depiction. Would be interesting to actually have seen her in real life, just to put a face with all the stories that have sprouted up around the Borgias. Some say they were as bad as we hear. Some say there is a possibility that their enemies wanted to destroy their reputation and invented much, if not most, of their horrendous deeds. But that's neither here nor there because the stories have taken on a life of their own.

Nice work. I would recommend one thing only, and that is I would take a little more care with painting the dead man's feet. Everything else is so nice and delicate and precise, those toes are a little loose. But bravo to you! Great work. I could easily see a graphic novel around this one.

Caesar
03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
The painting look a professional one, so harmonic and masterfully composed. I like also the steampunk twist idea, expressed also by the clock as an old looking mechanical device in evidence. The dressing style and wig look more like a Marquis de Sade guest attire, i.e. 18th century sado-maso apparel.
So plenty of citations in here! Maybe the inspiration and reference to Lucretia Borgia is mainly due to the recent movie they're advertising in these days (here at least).
Welcome and congrats!

rasmus
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone! Soooo much positive feedback =) ...Tonight it's a little late. I will comment in more detail tomorrow but i already want to thank you for your time and all the kind words. It means a lot to me :o ...THANKS again!

-Rasmus

copespeak
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
She's terrific! :cool:

rasmus
03-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Chad, Byron, JustJean, Coops, Copespeak... Thank you for your positive feedback and compliments! =)

Geoff, i am not sure what you mean by original canvas size. I started with about 1200x1600 for the inital sketches and increased to about 3000x4000 for painting the details. Generally speaking i like to stay on a low Resolution for the early stages of a painting. It helps my focus on the mood and lighting, colors and values.

D Akey, your right about what you say regarding the Borgias. During my short and superficial research on Lucrezia i stumbled upon many sources who claimed she was rather a victim than an agressor. I'm impressed with your historical knowledge and i need to thank you for your constructive criticism about the "dead" feet. To be honest i didn't even think about a dead man at her side, but now as you mention it it would make sense... it's always surprising to hear peoples' thoughts.. Thanks! =)

Ceasar, thank you for your comment =P. For the idea of a steamified historical portrait i have to give credit to 'MelB' the contest creator at gameartisans.org. I loved the idea right from the beginning and if you're interested feel free to check out the other entries. Considering the fact that there were only 6 final entries i'm a little disappointed about a 3. place but i guess it doesn't matter as long as i achieved my goal, right? =)

Again i want to thank you guys and i hope to be able to show some more of my work soon =)
all the best,

Rasmus

RobertSWade
03-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Be her reputation rightly or wrongly deserved, I highly doubt that she was as seductive as this rendering presents her as being, not to mention coyishly cute.
Aside from the aforementioned "dead man's feet" and the lack of crispness in the bed linens, the level of detail almost goes un-noticed for being so nearly perfect.
Deserving of the term masterful.

Caesar
03-09-2013, 05:28 AM
I think that whenever You end up in the first rank three competitor in an art competition, dear mate, You may generally consider You won, since final positions are eventually a matter of personal peferences of evaluating people and other judges may have decided differently. So congrats!

D Akey
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I think that whenever You end up in the first rank three competitor in an art competition, dear mate, You may generally consider You won, since final positions are eventually a matter of personal peferences of evaluating people and other judges may have decided differently. So congrats!

Good point.

pai
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow. So detailed illustration and beautiful lady. Thanks for showing us your great painting.

rasmus
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Pai, you're welcome and i really have to thank you for taking the time to watch and comment on this piece =)!

Robert, thank you very much =). I might revise and polish this painting for my own archive and i'll defineteley adress the bedsheet and the feet. When the contest deadline got closer i really focused on the background instead of the main subject and focal points. Thanks for your advice and compliment!

Ceasar, thank you for pointing that out. It instantly made me feel better about my achievement =)