PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Orhids. Which one should it be?

Lindae
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Here are two versions of "Transparent Orchids". Don't know which one I like better. Opinions anyone? Thanks in advance! Linda

hypotaxis
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
I like both Lindae, but I think both backgrounds are too fussy and "strong" and are distracting from your painting of the lilies themselves.

I have put a plain background (sorry for the very rough selection) and also chosen a complementary colour and you'll see how it intensifies the colours of your flowers and also brings them forward to the eye of the viewer.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Lindae
02-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe I should subdue the background and mar the orchids stronger...like a combination of the orchids from one on the background on two. Thanks for the feedback. L

justjean
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Your orchids are lovely, Lindea but the b/g's are to strong and busy they distract the eye :) IMHO

copespeak
02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
I like the second one!

Alexandra
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
The orchids are beautiful Linda. (number two for me :D)

artage
02-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Background pattern was part of the plan and it looks good to me. Darker background makes the orchids brighter. I like the first one. Try to make background even darker and this will put more accent on the orchids.

Tonyjazz
02-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I see these orchids here all the time and you rendered them very well. Colors are smooth and convincing. The BG is competing for attention here. #1 looks good....................TJ

scotchy21
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Your orchids are lovely. I think the backgrounds compete but #2 is the best IMHO.:D

Marilyn Anne
02-17-2013, 10:46 PM
I like the higher contrast of flowers and background. The flowers are beautifully done.

coops
02-17-2013, 11:29 PM
First one for me Lindae, the flowers are really beautiful and I have a plant of them on my coffee table at the moment:)

Lindae
02-18-2013, 02:37 AM
I like both Lindae, but I think both backgrounds are too fussy and "strong" and are distracting from your painting of the lilies themselves.

I have put a plain background (sorry for the very rough selection) and also chosen a complementary colour and you'll see how it intensifies the colours of your flowers and also brings them forward to the eye of the viewer.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Oh Brett, thank you for your illustration. I do love the color scheme you chose! I wanted to paint something that was very integrated with the background, but I can see that this might be too busy. I probably should have chosen a background with lines that were closer in value to the majority color so the design would be quieted down a bit. Thanks again for making me rethink this! Linda

Lindae
02-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Your orchids are lovely, Lindea but the b/g's are to strong and busy they distract the eye :) IMHO

I want to keep the background, but I think that I should keep the contrast between its lines and base colors closer in value so there is less contrast within the backgrounds; then, maybe bump up the chroma on the flowers. Thank goodness it relatively easy to experiment in AR! Thanks Jean!

Lindae
02-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Thanks everyone, for your votes and great suggestions! Think I'll spend some to experimenting with these paintings, trying out your suggestions! LindaLinda

Caesar
02-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Masterfully executed and very decorative flowers!