PDA

View Full Version : My First ArtRage Piece

scotchy21
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
I have never painted before, but always wanted to learn. Well, let me know what you think.

D Akey
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
There are two approaches generally to doing a landscape. The first is much harder and sometimes less successful. And that is to paint photographically everything that's in the source photo (usually a photo). But it goes for plein aire location painting as well. There's value in doing this to learn. But it can be stifling and it may be producing a weak painting because the world does not always place things in the best way compositionally, and you may want to emphasize certain things over others. It could also interfere with your style, when style becomes something that interests you. For some a landscape is merely a departure point. Sometimes a halfway point. All depends on the artist and what they're about.

The other way, which you may already have guessed, is to be freer about what goes where, how it's lit and colored and so forth. There is a place where the materials and the artist set up a collaboration, which often makes something look great because the paint happens to blend 'just so' on it's own and it begins leading you. There are many artists here who do that. And if you're not doing a portrait of a famous landmark, then you can do almost anything that serves the picture. Painting people is a lot more demanding because we generally know what is correct and what is off even if it's subtle. Landscapes are forgiving. So it's a good subject to get your feet wet.

You're well on your way. And please above all have fun with it.

justjean
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
scotchy, a lovely scene, so warm and peaceful

screenpainter
02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
and all this time you had a knack for it! wow. that's a beauty for sure. love your use of color in this.

semd74
02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
You are off to a great start...welcome to the forum!!

Marilyn Anne
02-15-2013, 11:29 PM
You have gotten off to a very good start. The sky is lovely as is the sunset. I think you will truly enjoy using this program.

kenmo
02-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I think i is outstanding....

limey-g
02-16-2013, 01:03 AM
A really nice scene, welcome to the forum.
Geoff

scotchy21
02-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks everyone one for the wonderful encouragement! I am totally digging AR4!!:D

grayflo
02-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Scotchy your painting makes me want to go there. Lovely!

coops
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the forums and thats a great start. Makes me want to sit there and watch the stars come out:)