PDA

View Full Version : Heart

chinapete
02-15-2013, 04:55 AM
Ink on rice paper retouched on iPhone 5 and reprinted ...
ps: no idea why this image displays vertically on my laptop but horizontally on my iPhone and iPad (it should be viewed vertically, darker at the bottom) ...
edit: testing reformatted image

D Akey
02-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Like a swinging gate in the open position. Not a bad idea for a heart. Happy Valentine's Day wishes. I think this should be a character in every alphabet.

copespeak
02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Very lovely!

Docsmith626
02-15-2013, 09:13 AM
It looks like a cursive version of the character (zi) for heart.

Marilyn Anne
02-15-2013, 09:19 AM
The color does speak of heart.

Steve B
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
I like this kind of tight rope you're walking between digital and natural media, Pete. I'm curious about the affects it's having on your work. For example, this piece was painting with natural media, scanned and altered, and then reprinted. What's the interest in that process for you? Is the reprinting offering a change in final product for you? Or is it more about having the physical object to engage with (a totally legitimate desire, IMO, btw)? Do you have a copy of the "original" versus the digitally altered and re-printed one? It would be very interesting and informative to see your process...

A nice piece. :)

eighty+
02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Blimey. Wants. A new valve. The old one is leaking. :eek::D

chinapete
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I began the day by reflecting on the character for "heart" in Chinese, which in its original form quite clearly is a picture of the physical heart and its chambers ... So Docsmith, you are right, it is the character "xin" (modern 心) written in the "kaishu" (regular script) style ...

Thank you copespeak and Marilyn Anne, with all the attention on super-computers and cognitive neuroscience these days, what the heart knows too often is neglected ...

D Akey, that's a great connection between the heart and the open door, an interpretation I hadn't seen before you said it ...

Steve B, thank you so much for asking ... You know,for pretty much everything I do, I view the process as more important than the result ... But now with digital art it is possible to share the transitory steps along the way, and so I do ... To get the precise red I wanted against a tinted background, I thought of inks on rice paper first, and then the challenge became how represent that digitally so others could see it ... The original was executed in two brushstrokes, with the dot on the left as one stroke, then the hooked stroke and the two other dots done in a single stroke ... Digitally, I decided to break the design into three strokes, I don't know why ...

haha, eighty+, the tell-tale heart ... :)

Caesar
02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
It was evident to me that, once suggested by the title, it was a heart and, simultaneously, an ideogram for it. It looks like I guessed right. You show here also a very good calligraphic hand I think.

Alexandra
02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
beautiful CPete in so many ways.

Mairzie Dotes
02-16-2013, 10:52 AM
chinapete,
Hearts come in many forms and the possibilities
are endless with this creative symbol. A positive
beginning could be surfacing. Well expressed! :D

chinapete
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
chinapete,
Hearts come in many forms and the possibilities
are endless with this creative symbol. A positive
beginning could be surfacing. Well expressed! :D

beautiful CPete in so many ways.

Thank you Alexandra! ... And Mairzie, I hope this is an auspicious start to a creative year for everyone! :)

I like this kind of tight rope you're walking between digital and natural media, Pete. I'm curious about the affects it's having on your work. For example, this piece was painting with natural media, scanned and altered, and then reprinted. What's the interest in that process for you? Is the reprinting offering a change in final product for you? Or is it more about having the physical object to engage with (a totally legitimate desire, IMO, btw)? Do you have a copy of the "original" versus the digitally altered and re-printed one? It would be very interesting and informative to see your process...

A nice piece. :)

Steve, in case you were asking to see a bit of the prep work for this image, the attachment shows the first pass of the character painted in red on tinted rice paper (top center on my very cluttered workspace -- those are Nomad brushes above) ... Here the rice paper was still "wet" with the printer's ink as I brushed on the Chinese ink, that can help create softer edges ... Below are a few smaller preliminary sketches in gel ink pen ... After this step, I used gel inks to heighten the color ... Then I photographed the image and manipulated it a little further on the iPhone (shaping the design, reducing the size and adjusting the background) ... The advantage of this method is that I get an actual rice paper background interacting with real inks, and the hope is that some of the texture flows through to the digital artwork for better viewing ... Much of the calligraphy I see posted on the internet is on flat and uninteresting grounds ...