PDA

View Full Version : Pine

chinapete
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
... continuing with the theme of a painting I posted on Brett's Strange Interests thread ... recently there has been renewed enthusiasm among contemporary painters in China for large-scale ink paintings done in the traditional style ... this Pine would be a large hanging scroll ...

copespeak
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I love this! So dark and full of texture, but a promise of more detail almost available to the eye. :D

D Akey
02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
This one screams for vertical calligraphy. Very nice graphic.

hypotaxis
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Very good Pete. It is interesting how you create the right mood out of very little. Ring the bells that still can ring!

justjean
02-09-2013, 02:54 AM
I like this :)

Caesar
02-09-2013, 03:58 AM
You got a really tasty evocative outcome as credible as what nature itself may have produced.

Lindae
02-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Love the texture and simplicity that turns into wonderful complexity as you look deeper.

chinapete
02-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Thank you for the comments, unlike Omni, I accept all, no matter how fawning or adoring, hahahaha, just kidding ...

copespeak, I was inspired also by your photos of the morning light in the trees, thank you for those, the light says it all (the sheep have inquiring eyes) ... D Akey, I would prefer to affix a few seals from ancient Emperors, but I'll have to settle for a four-character phrase I have in mind, I'll add it in calligraphy at the upper right ... Brett, jean, Caesar and Lindae, thank you ...

At the risk of mentioning the dreaded words "high art" and "auctions," if you are interested in contemporary Chinese ink painting, Christie's Hong Kong has produced a brief video preview of an event that will take place this spring -- among the artists featured are two of my favorites, Xu Bing and Liu Dan (he is famous for his drawings of "spirit stones") ... Qiu Zhijie says a word or two about the tradition and significance of painting pine trees:

Chinese inks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3H4VD0Jl_Y)

ps: I just noticed this image displays horizontally on my iPhone, so I guess I have to adjust the image size?

Alexandra
02-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Beautiful Pete, I too love this. A big oooo and aaaaaa.

chinapete
02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Alexandra! ... yet another stylish avatar! :)

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Lovely, poetic.