PDA

View Full Version : Everything's Just Peachy!

Lindae
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Was teaching a real medium pastel class today and got inspired to play with the chalk tool tonight. Done on my ipad.

Chris_Paris
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
No doubt that you have the mastery of this medium.
Very nice silent life painting. Shaping fruits with light and colours is particularly realistic and well achieved.
Congratulations.
Chris.

D Akey
02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Juicy and Luscious. I can even get peach fuzz which is remarkable for the looseness. Great handling of the material.

limey-g
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Nicely done the fruit really looks real.
Geoff

Alexandra
02-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous painting....

Caesar
02-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Superlative one!

coops
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Wow this is just terrific, they look so appealing. Brilliant work:)

justjean
02-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Lindae, beautiful painting, so loose and lucious :)

Lindae
02-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Chris, Akey, Geoff, Alexandra, Ceasar, Coops and Jean--thank you all for your kind remarks. Your support is so important to me...ya keep me goin'! I had a good time with the bouncing light on this one; getting the fuzzy texture was tough but challenges are good for the artistic soul, right? Linda

eighty+
02-07-2013, 04:43 AM
S.........t makes me want to try :D:D:D Lindae is the picture cropped :confused: Thanks for showing

Lindae
02-07-2013, 04:52 AM
[QUOTE=eighty+;435332]S.........t makes me want to try :D:D:D Lindae is the picture cropped :confused: Thanks for showing[/

hi Eighty+...painting wasn't cropped. I've been told its healthy to add fruit to the diet...don't think they meant painting 'em though! L

Mairzie Dotes
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Lindae,
This is an absolutely magnificent work of art and I agree, it's
a masterpiece!!! Just love everything about it! :D :D :D

Lindae
02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Lindae,
This is an absolutely magnificent work of art and I agree, it's
a masterpiece!!! Just love everything about it! :D :D :D

Mairzie, you're very kind! Thank you so much! L

eighty+
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
...Hi. Lindae This will make you. Laugh. Had a go. Done the bowl. And peaches. Was just

About. To start the other peaches when I lost the lot for got on the I pad you should save

So now I save as. On my computer. So now I'll. Have a bash. Later. :D:D

.......SLAINTE

Lindae
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
...Hi. Lindae This will make you. Laugh. Had a go. Done the bowl. And peaches. Was just

About. To start the other peaches when I lost the lot for got on the I pad you should save

So now I save as. On my computer. So now I'll. Have a bash. Later. :D:D

.......SLAINTE

Oh Eighty+, my poor dear, so sorry your peaches rolled out of your ipad....I'm sure your next go 'round will be even better though--and, with you doing a save, this bunch will stay put! Anxious to see the result!
L

Marilyn Anne
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
The fruit is luscious and beautiful.

justjean
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Back for another look at this beauty :)

jbeau
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Very nice! I really like your use of color. If you print this, try using real pastels on top to embellish it. It makes me want to give pastels a try:D

hypotaxis
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I think this is remarkable. I wish I could paint pastels like that. Pity you don't hold classes in New Zealand I'd come :-)

Gorgeous painting. Thanks!

Brett

Lindae
02-08-2013, 03:18 AM
I think this is remarkable. I wish I could paint pastels like that. Pity you don't hold classes in New Zealand I'd come :-)

Gorgeous painting. Thanks!

Brett
Thanks Brett! I've been to New Zealand (Auckland and its surrounds) and thought it was one of the most beautiful places! Such greens...amazing! L

Lindae
02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Very nice! I really like your use of color. If you print this, try using real pastels on top to embellish it. It makes me want to give pastels a try:D

thanks for the suggestion Jeremy...I will probably do that! I have some really nice textured rag paper that should have enough tooth to grab and hold the pastels well after I print. I always have a quandary about what to list the medium as when I enhance digital prints with real mediums. I've tried saying, "enhanced giclee" or "digital mixed media";I get quizzical looks from folks when I do that. Any suggestions?

Lindae
02-08-2013, 03:32 AM
Jean and Marilyn Anne,
thanks for your nice comments and for taking the time to take a look! L

D Akey
02-08-2013, 04:31 AM
thanks for the suggestion Jeremy...I will probably do that! I have some really nice textured rag paper that should have enough tooth to grab and hold the pastels well after I print. I always have a quandary about what to list the medium as when I enhance digital prints with real mediums. I've tried saying, "enhanced giclee" or "digital mixed media";I get quizzical looks from folks when I do that. Any suggestions?

Decades ago I recall artists talking about prints that were then painted upon. They were sort of fudging about them being originals owing to some additional working over the prints individually. Some artists ran on the notion that they could be called originals doubtless so they could raise the prices. There may be a name for that, but if there was I can't recall it. Might check with galleries. It's not new anymore and maybe they have a conventional name for it by now. You probably will want to run with the title for the process that the big ticket galleries use so you can have a reference point of credible investment for collectors if you've chosen to operate on that level. Quizzical looks can be good if it draws people in for an elaboration and makes you memorable.

Lindae
02-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Decades ago I recall artists talking about prints that were then painted upon. They were sort of fudging about them being originals owing to some additional working over the prints individually. Some artists ran on the notion that they could be called originals doubtless so they could raise the prices. There may be a name for that, but if there was I can't recall it. Might check with galleries. It's not new anymore and maybe they have a conventional name for it by now. You probably will want to run with the title for the process that the big ticket galleries use so you can have a reference point of credible investment for collectors if you've chosen to operate on that level. Quizzical looks can be good if it draws people in for an elaboration and makes you memorable.

Thank you so much for your very good advice! I will definitely check out the galleries for their labeling. It would be good marketing to be able to point to upscale galleries' inventory of similarly created works. Last summer I showed only prints of my digital art at one art fair rather than any of my traditional medium work; I got interesting questions about the digital medium but the more I explained the more the listener glazed over...maybe I was nervous or too long winded. I did end up selling well but perhaps that was because the work was at the right price point.

chinapete
02-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Lindae, I'm just catching up with your very strong graphic style ... Peaches has the feel of oil pastel, and I can see why you are successful commercially ...
I use mixed media in several ways, often I digitize a ground that's suitable for the content (rice paper for inks, for example), and sometimes I print my digital works and retouch them, mostly with gel inks -- but ultimately they are meant to be digital artworks ...

... about cropping, if you mean that you didn't paint more than you are showing, that's understandable, but clearly the forms at the edges have been cropped and the mind's eye is forced to fill in blanks outside of the painted space ... or maybe I'm missing something, and this is an abstract that resembles realism? ...

fraser_paice
02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Weeee this glows... lovely.

Lindae
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks Pete and Fraser for your kind remarks. Pete, don't know if the composition with the items cropped out works, but I did plan it that way to make this common still life a little more interesting. I like compositions with subjects that go over the edges because they seem more engaging. But, that's just me.

Pete, I love your idea about photographing interesting papers and other textures to make interesting grounds for paintings. I have a few myself which I snatched from some art supply catalogs. I sometimes also use Auryn Ink to make drippy, runny, watercolor grounds which I import to Artrage. I like to experiment by using them as a layer that I sometimes place over the picture layers; then, I selectively erase to bring parts of the image back to the top. Artrage is so flexible I don't think I'll ever get to exploring all one could do with it!

Or, we're you talking about putting a printable liquid ground on the paper you would ultimately print the image on? I have seen some of these treatments but haven't tried this yet. That sounds like fun, too.

Regarding commercial success: ha! I'm glad I've got a day job and a pension that covers the bills! L

chinapete
02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Lindae,

It was Auryn Ink that gave me the idea for importing interesting grounds, of course, AR has many to choose from but for inks, AI was a good start because I could tint it in interesting ways (this is why copespeak said of one of my paintings, "Nice paper!" hehe) ...

I've evolved since then as I've gotten closer and closer to imitating thinner and lighter supports for the kind of work I do ... I have an example of what I call digital mixed media calligraphy on my website, maybe I'll post it here for comment... To my mind, there still are serious limitations to doing calligraphy digitally, this has more to do with the nature of the art and how one relates to the feel of the organic materials, rather than with the artist's talents ... I have been trying to recreate the process of Chinese woodblock prints, even to the point where I have created a digital printing block (of wood) and initial and reverse cuts showing surfaces where ink would be applied in single and multi-colored printing, etc. ... Paper choice is essential ... This all can be done in ArtRage ...

- Pete

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
beautiful peaches and bowl. your values and colors are amazing in this. excellent.

D Akey
02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
. . .I got interesting questions about the digital medium but the more I explained the more the listener glazed over...maybe I was nervous or too long winded. I did end up selling well but perhaps that was because the work was at the right price point.

Yeah maybe, but as to the glazing over, that should help you calibrate your responses. Good experience. Consider them unpaid focus groups who will help you gear your patter to sound byte length. You will doubtless hear that question over and over. Prepare yourself with a couple possible ways of covering the topic. They really only want to have a moment with the artist and the topics are not so much the issue. And take pains to make them feel smart whether they are or not. Make them like you. I'm sure that will be easy for you. It will take you a long way.

RobertSWade
02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
It's vibrant, intense, and uniquely reflective in the way that nicely ripened peaches are wont to do in full light. Still, they have not lost their suggestion of being slightly fuzzy.
Great choices in the surrounding colors.

Lindae
02-10-2013, 06:20 AM
It's vibrant, intense, and uniquely reflective in the way that nicely ripened peaches are wont to do in full light. Still, they have not lost their suggestion of being slightly fuzzy.
Great choices in the surrounding colors.

Thanks Robert! I love to play with the color of light and reflections. AR works so well for this purpose...I just look for the right value in whatever color the reflection or light happens to be. L

Lindae
02-10-2013, 06:29 AM
beautiful peaches and bowl. your values and colors are amazing in this. excellent.

Thank you! I think getting the values right is probably one of the most important things to do in realistic work...that's probably true for abstract painting too. Both rely on a value pattern to some degree to guide the viewer's eye where you want it to go. I think you do this well with your work!

semd74
02-10-2013, 08:37 AM
A fantastic still life...the peaches look delicious !!

silvy
02-10-2013, 11:49 PM
SUBLIME WORK:):):)
Great skill and mastery!

Lindae
02-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Steve and Silvy,
Thank you! I really appreciate that our forum members take the time to view and comment on each others' work! L