PDA

View Full Version : abstracts with stickers cont.

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 03:22 AM
I have a few saved up. I kind of liked this one. You can probably tell it is mostly sticker brushes. A little oil and a little pencil as well.

D Akey
01-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Always enjoy seeing your paintings, Screenpainter.

All I see is a gorgeous canvas which evoke a Spring or Summer day in California. I know CA's not your stomping grounds, but it feels fresh and sunny to me. Has a little bit of a soft, less angular Diebenkorn kind of feel to me. It's not a flagrant use of stickers -- more of a pattern echo in your case. I really like the variety of marks. Very nice!

chinapete
01-28-2013, 05:05 AM
... the liberal and inventive use of texture, the projecting and receding colors, the tears or cracks in the surface, the raised and flat forms transform this into a mixed media action painting ...

... hi screenpainter, thanks for your comments on my work:)

justjean
01-28-2013, 05:29 AM
I like this on SP, it feels like a warm summer morning when the mist is lifting of the water

gxhpainter2
01-28-2013, 05:36 AM
albert.. I was excited to see you posting again, and this is a very beautiful work, like others have said it has a light summer feeling with the cerulean sky and light greens. what I find most interesting is the amazing variety of mark making involved and how it all hangs together so well, nothing is obtrusive yes they all lend variety and interest to the piece. it is such a pleasure to view...great job.:cool::cool:

pat1940
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Albert this is so pleasing and wonderful to look at, love all the colors and shapes, beautiful piece to frame and hang

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Always enjoy seeing your paintings, Screenpainter.

All I see is a gorgeous canvas which evoke a Spring or Summer day in California. I know CA's not your stomping grounds, but it feels fresh and sunny to me. Has a little bit of a soft, less angular Diebenkorn kind of feel to me. It's not a flagrant use of stickers -- more of a pattern echo in your case. I really like the variety of marks. Very nice!

Thanks DA, must be the dreary weather around here that caused an inner revolution. ;)

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 11:06 AM
... the liberal and inventive use of texture, the projecting and receding colors, the tears or cracks in the surface, the raised and flat forms transform this into a mixed media action painting ...

... hi screenpainter, thanks for your comments on my work:)

thanks for liking and noticing the details Pete.

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Jean. it would make a nice summer shirt. ;)
Gary, as always, thanks for appreciating the textures and scratches and the nooks and crannies.
Thanks Pat. I appreciate your appreciation very much.

RobertSWade
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
It feels at once, exuberant, optimistic, and, wet and wild. Well done, Old Friend.

chinapete
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
thanks for liking and noticing the details Pete.

I have a feeling that you didn't start out tabula rasa, that you had something definite in mind you wanted to express, and that each detail is carefully arranged to reproduce that effect, and that's why I noticed, and liked, the details as well as the whole painting ...

It's interesting that as early as 1921, when Doerner first published his landmark Materials of the Artist and their Use in Painting, he felt it necessary to remind his readers that the old masters had "preconceived, clearly thought-out pictorial projects," and that "every phase of the picture is developed almost according to schedule" in order to "carry it to the highest perfection of form and the greatest clarity and luminosity of color" ... It's not so much the materials or the technique, but the assumption that these artists had a picture in mind -- often they were on commission or were ordered by this or that institution to paint a particular subject, that's true, but painting was (we find out in Doerner's descriptions of technique) a long and laborious process, and so you have to wonder how they were able to sustain and execute a highly emotionally-charged vision over time ... And have we lost (are we losing) that skill ...

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Robert. Good to see you.
Thanks again Pete for elaborating further. Much appreciated.

Caesar
01-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Absolutely fresh and lovely!

Alexandra
01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Pleasant childhood memories, of a beach, fair, and a delicious scoop ice cream all in one. I love it.

coops
01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Dear Albert, how wonderful to see you painting again, I have missed your brilliant abstracts which I always envied. This one is so beautiful and reminds me of so many things. Winter meeting Summer, hot meeting cold and oh so much more.:)

silvy
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Agree with Katie, I missed your painting. :)

kenmo
01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
The painting is upbeat and happy with a feeling of warmth...Great work....:cool:

Bobbi
01-31-2013, 02:53 AM
Great use of stickers. Hope you have more of these in store. I have been finding that stickers are very interesting when used as brushes.

Lindae
01-31-2013, 04:28 AM
My eye just dances through this! Very nice work!

Marilyn Anne
01-31-2013, 04:34 AM
It has a beautiful overall effect. Would love to hang this one!

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Just got back from Seattle after a four day jaunt.
Had a good visit to my mothership ie: place of origin.
Sorry for the long delay in commenting, but was somewhat
occupied with things. Like wining and dining and sight seeing. Some other things too. :)

Thanks Caesar. Much appreciated as always for the support.
Thank you Katie. Glad to be offering up some work again.
Thank you Sylvie for your support and encouragement as always.
Alex, Thank you for the pleasant associations.
Thanks Ken, I am happy that you liked this one.
Bobbi, I hope I can do a few more too. Like you, I really do use those stickers as digital brushes and art elements.
Lindae, thank you for your comment. I am glad it was musical. :)
Marilyn Anne, thank you. If you can enlarge it some way and print a copy for yourself... I'd feel honored if you did. Glad you liked it.

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
may as well keep this as an ongoing thread for a bit as I am going to post a few more art projects of the last half of the year and beginning of the new.

below: jelly trees
jellyfish sticker, pencil

copespeak
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Yummy colours! Very nice. :D

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks Robyn!

below: let it roll
roller tool with stickers and acrylic paint and eraser

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I have to find canvas 1 now. :)

below:
canvas 2 "wild things"
oil brush, paint roller and pencil
on textured canvas

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
a recently released fan sticker brush by our own Someonesane along with one I made.

below: sos fan brush
done with sticker brushes

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 05:16 PM
based on an idea by our own Katie Cooper. (Coops) combining ArtRage with photos of people. I left my person unpainted.

below: stitchen ( baby dreaming) mixed media
mainly embroidery stickers by Fashmir
a fan brush sticker, some splat stickers,
paint roller and pencil

justjean
02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
greaqt abstracts SP and I really like Let it Roll the shapes, colours and texture

screenpainter
02-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks Jean!

chinapete
02-03-2013, 03:09 AM
hi SP, I just noticed you've added to this thread ... Canvas 2 reminds me of Australian aboriginal drawings, and the idea of painting directly on sand with dark berry juice also came to mind ... If you follow the dream-tracks, you will find Canvas 1 ...

D Akey
02-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Lots of range here. Really clever stuff. ;););)

Bobbi
02-03-2013, 03:42 AM
I really do get excited seeing what you have done with the stickers. Just when I think I have run out of ideas, I see you coming up with more and more. Keep it going!!

screenpainter
02-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks Pete. really enjoyed and appreciated your comments.
Thanks as well D Akey. perhaps the same box with different partitions. :)
Thanks Bobbi. I am glad I am making the ideas and pictures flow.

below: canvas
crayon pencil and watercolor on heavy textured canvas

coops
02-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Your latest paintings are great Albert and especially the one with the baby, thats so cute. The final one is super and I will definately have a go as I think that sort of think weould be perfect for backgrounds for me. Well done and lovely to see you painting again:)

gxhpainter2
02-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Albert wow what a treasure trove of beautiful, creative and fun works... I will have to review several times as each has its own vocabulary of concept, color and inventiveness. I do like canvas 2 and the last one for their earth tones and close tonality and raw canvas texturing. Although the baby painting is a delight. My immediate personal favorite is the roller one - great colors in that and I like the strong linear design. great works very tasty all of them..:) sounds like your visit to Seattle was fun and invigorating... always fun to visit Seattle or Portland and take in all the excitement, good food etc...

copespeak
02-03-2013, 08:35 AM
That canvas effect is wonderful (and inspiring!) and the baby one...... wow!

screenpainter
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Katie. Feel free to use it as a background. It's all yours... you have my wholehearted permission. I am sure you could add something dreamy to it.
Thanks Gary. I am always glad to read your comments and appreciate them.
Thanks Robyn. Glad you liked.

silvy
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Wonderful new adds Albert:).
Jelly trees is very joyful.
The canvas effect is very inspiring also....great background

D Akey
02-04-2013, 04:05 AM
Love this most recent one. Gritty and artistic. Gives an impression of weathering -- pentimento in a more direct way. If I were waxing psychological (for myself) I would see this as a representation of a screen upon which is projected one's old 'stuff' being dredged up to be examined or understood -- bits and pieces of a whole picture. A sort of forced pentimento or buried memories being surfaced. Not necessarily bad stuff either. Just fragmented traces from the depths that might be filled in by the conscious mind. At least that's how my memories sometimes come to me.

chinapete
02-04-2013, 04:20 AM
hi SP ... "Canvas" is more proof, if proof were needed. that texture is a large part of what we associate with painting ... a photograph can represent texture but only on a very smooth ground ... so when you say "heavily textured canvas" I know that you see the ground itself as part of the painting, a physical dimension that exists before you begin to paint (it becomes real you prepare it), something often neglected in digital art ... And in this, painting has long had an advantage over photography ...

ps: What we know of the first photograph (done in 1825 or 1826: Niepce View from the Window (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras,_Joseph_Nic%C 3%A9phore_Ni%C3%A9pce.jpg)), tells us that the texture of the ground came across in the earliest mechanical methods of recording impressions of light ...

Alexandra
02-04-2013, 06:31 AM
I love them all Albert. And the baby...that is a big awwww there. All of them, just fabulous.

screenpainter
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Thank you Silvy. Always supportive. You are very kind.
D thanks for the great comments. I think there are a few dredged up ghosts coming into visual play. Had an experience recently in Seattle with seeing
figures come and go through the night. And also some family history came to surface during the trip. I know I was in a very contemplative state and
I did make several repentences during the work. Largely based on visual similarities coming to surface and playing like visiting ghosts.
Thanks Pete, I think I have you to thank for my emersion in canvas textures and thinking about them as an integral part of the art. You started it. :)
Lexi girl... aw schucks... thanks for visiting and enjoying. :)

screenpainter
02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
below: abstract mixed media-
watercolor, stickers and oil

kenmo
02-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Nice stuff....

Caesar
02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
A kaleidoscopic ehibition indeed, with so many stunners! All fantastic, but they're almost all so chromatically dazzling that I end up enjoying particularly the more relaxing canvas ones.

screenpainter
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Thank you Ken. Much appreciated.
Thanks Cesare. I agree the canvas ones are more contemplative and relaxing. Thanks for the visit my friend.

below: stickers and rakes

D Akey
02-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Vibrant, festive, joyful. . . and so on. Really liking these. Always amazed at your inventiveness and range. Well done.

Alexandra
02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Great additions Albert, very pleasing to the eye dear friend.

Lindae
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I agree with Akey, I get a distinct Diebenkorn whisper in this lovely painting. Really like the bit of granular texture juxtaposed against those spring-like colors too.

coops
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Once again such wonderful paintings Albert, love em:)

Lima
02-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Am great fan of your abstracts . Canvas is beautiful , just like a shroud. Nice, very Nice.

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks D Akey. Very glad you liked these.
Thanks Lexie. :)
Lindae, thank you for visit and comment. Much appreciated.
Kate and Oriane. Thank you. Thank you.

below:
crunching numbers
watercolor and stickers on canvas
a little pencil

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 02:55 PM
below:
abstract with texture and stickers

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
below:
Chinese parade
watercolor with cracked window sticker
and a new rectangle sticker
that might come in handy

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 03:16 PM
below:
printed patterns

sticker brushes
chalk and ink pen

chinapete
02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi SP, Chinese Parade seems particularly well harmonized, did you have a Spring Festival event in mind? (Tonight is New Year's Eve according to the Lunar calendar in China)...:)

screenpainter
02-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks Pete... purely coincidental... I think?
but Happy New Year anyway. ;)

silvy
02-10-2013, 11:13 PM
below:
abstract with texture and stickers

I like this one(without title) very much. Could be a sunrise on beach with palms :)

screenpainter
02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank very much Silvy.

Caesar
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Your explorations led You into fabrics artistic design!

byroncallas
02-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Albert, I just stumbled on this thread. Terrific pieces in here. Each piece is bold, and hangs together so beautifully. Wonderful.

AT-TA
02-23-2013, 04:16 AM
I love the springy colours in this painting, Albert. They make such a nice picture. :D

Tana123
03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
i just discovered your abstracts, i like them all. Very nice job. Was wondering if there were any abstracts besides mandalas in this forum. Now i know some day I'll post mine...