PDA

View Full Version : White lotus: aquatint

chinapete
01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
This very small graphic is a first step towards the imitation of aquatint techniques using basic AR watercolor and graphic tools on the iPad, with the addition of a simulated rice paper ground ... Aquatint combines etching and watercolor, usually there are large areas of relatively flat color enhanced by cross-hatching or similar graphic treatment ... Rembrandt, Degas, etc. ...

Here I'm relying on a painting of the same title ("White Lotus") by Qian Xuan (钱选 1235-1305) for line and wash treatments ...

D Akey
01-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Beautiful. Would make a gorgeous rice paper pane in a Japanese door or maybe they have them in China as well. It so looks like a place for a Haiku poem or some words from the Tao Te Ching. Has an elegance to it combined with nature. Very nice piece.

gxhpainter2
01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
chinapete, what an elegant piece, I love the soft grays , very complex yet simple in design...and the size!... seems quite a bit larger than most others? from your iPad and cropped?

copespeak
01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Ethereal. You're so creative.

chinapete
01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
thanks to all for the comments ... gary, is the image too large? ... I've given up trying to coordinate among platforms ... copespeak, I'd say I'm more terrified than creative ... "terrified" in the positive sense of "being in awe of" ... D Akey, I happened to be re-reading Basho, the 17th c. Japanese haiku poet, his account in poetry and prose of his travels through northern Japan, sometimes the title is given as Narrow Road to the Deep North ... So you must have been looking over my shoulder :) .. For the design, I think you might recognize a little of the style of Ellsworth Kelly, his line drawings, which I really admire ... as an aside, I think our very own Steve B on this forum draws like that :)

RobertSWade
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
My first thought was: What a perfect example of "Less is More."
My second thought was: If I still wrote actual letters on actual paper, I'd want this printed on it.
My third thought was: What a perfect example of "Less is More."
More circular logic than haiku I suppose but a compliment none-the-less. :)

hypotaxis
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Really beautiful.

I like the idea of a haiku:

In the mist is the lotus
The light breaks through
We see it all the same

Brett

coops
01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
What a fine peice of artwork evoking the feeling of peace.:)

chinapete
01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks RSW ... my whole life has been built on circular logic :) ... trying to return to a place of origin, a primitive line, maybe that's why the principle "less is more" is so appealing, much of the journey is a distraction and it's best to be as unburdened as possible ... what was Frodo carrying, not much, right? ...

Brett, thank you for the gift of the haiku, I see you also embrace the idea that less is more, since you've shortened the traditional long second line of the haiku when written in English, and the images in it go way beyond the words ...if only the drawing were that concise ...

coops, I feel a lot more peaceful now that the anxiety of misplaced brushstrokes is behind me :)...

screenpainter
01-28-2013, 03:38 AM
love the Asian feel of this. very pretty piece.

justjean
01-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Beautiful and so delicate

gxhpainter2
01-28-2013, 05:40 AM
chinapete, I do so love this piece I had to come back several times to view it. and no it's not too large its just that I noticed the size and proportions were different than much of your other works, this is a lovely piece and I would not change a thing about it...:)

hypotaxis
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Brett, thank you for the gift of the haiku, I see you also embrace the idea that less is more, since you've shortened the traditional long second line of the haiku when written in English, and the images in it go way beyond the words ...if only the drawing were that concise ...

That's interesting, I didn't know about the scansion! So how should it be (assuming 17 syllables all together) 5-7-5?

... and your drawing is wonderful!

Brett

chinapete
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks again, Brett ... I guess because there's some slippage between Japanese and English, the 5-7-5 structure in Japanese was grafted into English as syllable count, but there always have been plenty of reasons to abandon it in favor of coherence or simplicity of expression, as you have done so expertly ... I don't follow haiku poetry, but these days it seems almost any pattern is acceptable ... The important things should the cut line and (I hope this is true) the seasonal or temporal reference, at least, these are the elements I've always found most pleasing, because they are the most difficult to achieve ...

Albert
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Beautiful. Would make a gorgeous rice paper pane in a Japanese door :D:D

chinapete
01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Albert, and thank you ... Now that I've gotten a few comments on the rice paper, I might just try to print it to rice paper and see what happens :D by the way, thanks also for the link to your digital artworks, you seem to have developed a great variety of interests and styles, I like especially "On the rocks," that looks as though it was done in AR, but whatever, the very broad and freely-worked brushstrokes are interesting ...