PDA

View Full Version : Knitted Scarf?

Aunt_Betsy
01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I've been playing around with stickers lately and I was surprised at how realistic I could get something to look with just some curved shapes. This knitted scarf was done in seconds with one of my stickers. It's a single shape with two base colors with shading.

copespeak
01-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow, that's spectacular!

Bobbi
01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I have to agree with you about the stickers. They can be a very interesting tool.

semd74
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow...thats fantastic !!

coops
01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Looks like my old school scarf Aunt Betsy as they were the colours, very well done I like this very much:)

limey-g
01-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Well this certainly has a realism about it, well done.
Geoff

D Akey
01-21-2013, 06:54 AM
That really is an amazing effect. Well done Aunt Betsy! I half expect to see a large championship medallion on the bottom of it.

I also thought of a lanyard. Wonder if there is a tool for that kind of weaving knot kind of camp crafts thing. Fun! And this is very successful as you've done it.

Aunt_Betsy
01-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks so much, Robyn, bobbie, semd74, coops, Geoff, and D Akey

Coops, they were the school colors for two of my nieces and a nephew, thatís why I picked those to colors when creating this sticker. I usually try to have at least one of the colors RGB red 255 so it will make so at least one of the colors in the sticker be what the color picker is. This time I wanted to make sure I would have the color combination I wanted without having to hunt around on the color picker to see what I get so the base color didnít include red.

D Akey, are you talking about one of those square braided lanyards that use a four strand braid? I bet I could come up with a way to make it. I made this effect with a single curved shape. Iíve been trying all kinds of different shapes and combinations of shapes to see what I come up with combined with different rotation and flow rates. Now Iíve added in different color combinations. Iím using CorelDraw to create shapes for the stickers. Iím able to use the tools in CorelDraw to do the shading and creating color combinations. I use the Artistic Media tool to create curves and shapes with the color combinations already imbedded in them.

I used a combination of ArtRageís sticker sprayer and CorelDraw to create this Mardi Gras Mask.

Iíve added this sticker and the preset to the Art Supplies forum.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?43079-Knitted-Scarf-Sticker

Mairzie Dotes
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Aunt_Betsy,
DOUBLE WOW!!! "Knitted Scarf" is amazingly realistic in every
respect. The texture, detailing and design is a visual delight.
Soooooo well painted! :D

screenpainter
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
very cool sticker brush.

D Akey
01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
D Akey, are you talking about one of those square braided lanyards that use a four strand braid? I bet I could come up with a way to make it. I made this effect with a single curved shape. Iíve been trying all kinds of different shapes and combinations of shapes to see what I come up with combined with different rotation and flow rates. Now Iíve added in different color combinations. Iím using CorelDraw to create shapes for the stickers. Iím able to use the tools in CorelDraw to do the shading and creating color combinations. I use the Artistic Media tool to create curves and shapes with the color combinations already imbedded in them.

I used a combination of ArtRageís sticker sprayer and CorelDraw to create this Mardi Gras Mask.

Iíve added this sticker and the preset to the Art Supplies forum.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?43079-Knitted-Scarf-Sticker

Yeah, that's the box stitch one. Although there were different ones as well, like the barrel stitch, and then there were the real fancy ones that spiraled around a central core. All of those seem like something you could construct with what you've shown. But those were the central connecting point. I think the basic lanyard strip that looped around the neck was more of a simpler braid kind of thing. But it's been a loooooong time since I made any at camp. And here you are coming up with something like this simple as you please, and the amazing part is that it's perfect. Very clever you!!!!!

Really amazing mask, by the way!! Wow again!!!!

I grabbed something from Google images that kinda shows the basic knots and not so much of the chord part. Box and barrel here, although these look like fabric, whereas I recall the ones made from long plastic lengths and then got woven. But it's much the same in the way it's knotted.

Aunt_Betsy
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much Mairzie! I didnít really paint the scarf, I created the little curved and colored object I turned into a sticker. Then the sticker sprayer did all the hard work.

The sticker sprayer is like working with the Mandelbrot set in fractal geometry with all of the repeated patterns.

screenpainter (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/member.php?1834-screenpainter), thanks for the encouragement to make a package for my stickers. I started using Dropbox (http://db.tt/WOzsyaCq) too.

Well D Akey, you really got me going with the lanyard stuff. Iíve been working on it most of the day. Iím retired and it is way too cold to go anywhere today if you donít have to and I have a sore throat, so it was a good project to keep me entertained.

I tried a series of thing that didnít work right. Some of them worked better later after I figured out some of the Spray Variations settings better. Finally after making a variety of things it dawned on me that I was trying to make these little objects look like a square and still flow well, why not start with the square and make it look like it was braided. So I gave that a shot and I think it turned out fairly well Iím sure if I worked on it more I could get something more realistic, but Iíll leave that for another time. Iím glad you like how such a simple shape can make something look so real.

I'm glad you like the mask. I included it here to show a use for the sticker sprayer. It seems that not very many people know how powerful a tool it is. I know a lot of people use it create brushes for painting, I've downloaded a number of the brushes they have posted on the forum, but it is far more powerful then just that. I've been having great fun getting to understand how to make stickers. Just think of what I might be able to come up with once I know what I'm doing. :)

Iíve made a ArtRage package with a bunch of the lanyard stickers I came up with and I added the knitted scarf to it too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5ddofab2t1c9yh/lanyards1.arpack

justjean
01-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Great stickers, I will be watching :D

D Akey
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Pretty darn amazing, Aunt Betsy! Wow. We should send you to camp!

Thanks for the tools, and hope your throat gets better. Kinda glad you were feeling poor to park you in front of the computer to do this amazing stuff. Now feel better. You earned it. . .

Aunt_Betsy
01-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Thank you justjean!

I've added another packet of stickers

Thank so much D Akey!

Iím still a little under the weather. I use my laptop while all snuggled in bed so working on my computer when I am sick is not a problem. Camp sounds good though but not in the dead of winter. Iím thinking extension cord and working on my laptop around a camp fire. :)

Hereís another packet that includes the lace I used on the heart.

I used three different programs to make the heart. The lace was done in ArtRage, the background in Paint Shop Pro 9, and the interior of the heart in CorelDraw X5. The text was done in CorelDraw and Corel Photo Paint. I love how I can use all these programs together. I make most of my stickers in CorelDraw where I can use the contour and blend tool to make the shapes look 3D.

Iím still experimenting with different shapes and color combinations to see what I will get. Sometimes I am very surprised by what I get. I spend a lot of time just playing with the ones that look so good as the flow across the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xel9b4gq4m7bmme/lace%20and%20fabric.arpack

pat1940
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Wonderful work and so very interesting what you have done with the stickers