PDA

View Full Version : SURE, HOW HARD CAN IT BE ? step by step.......

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:11 AM
in Artrage, I made a sketch on a canvas ,1570 X 2300 with the pencil ,with a medium gray tone.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
I then added a new layer, and placed it beneath the sketched layer. I did not fill this layer with gray, but painted this roughly with the roller. Looks less digital that way. I also used the standard papersettings.I will change these accordingly to my needs.(an eye, or a tooth is painted with no grain, the rest with more grain in the paper.)

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:18 AM
I change the sketched layermode to "tint".This way the white of the paper is gone, and the lines are always visible, no matter how much you paint on the underlaying layer.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:20 AM
The gray tone I rolled on the lower layer acts as the middle tone. I now use a lighter tone and with the crayon tool (settings in screenshot) I paint the lighter parts.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:23 AM
For the darker tones, I use a...errr....darker tone, but to get rid of the pencillines, I merged the two layers.The lines will get smoothed away due to the blending settings of the crayon tool.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Here is the darker tone applied to the eye.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:26 AM
I also do the background a bit, as the gray looks a bit dull.
Forgot to say in the previous post, that I lowered the grain of the paper for the eyes and the glasses.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Using no papergrain at all I do the teeth.Gradually making them lighter and lighter, untill in the end I only have to paint the highlights.
I did not change the color once, I used the withest white.The difference in tones has to come from you pen pressure. With these blending settings and the pressure in your wacom tablet,you can paint this painting using only black and white.

hanzz
02-11-2007, 02:35 AM
All that is left to do now, is Sign the drawing, and lean back to admire you hard work. This drawing is done in about 3.5 - 4 hours. (the time is shortened, because we used a middle tone under our sketch , so we didn't have to paint that anymore...)

For those who recognised the victim of this caricature, this is a tribute to the hard work, and committement to us ,users .

to everyone on the Ambient team, thanks for a marvelous program. 8)

Hanzz

ENCHANTER
02-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Excellent!!!!
:D

D Akey
02-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Hanzzzz, That one's the best!!!!!!!

Fantastic distortion. Looks like him spot on.

And the tutorial is very good as well.

Masterful.

:D :D :D

AndyRage
02-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Sweet Mother of Pearl, did I get a surprise when I looked at the last frame!

That's totally and completely brilliant, Hanzz!

Selby
02-11-2007, 10:44 AM
thanks for the tutorial Hanzz...its sort of like magic watching it progress and the end likeness is amazing

Selby

hanzz
02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
You've beaten me to it... hahahaha, what a coincidence !
I had the idea to publish this one on my site as pdf,and created a master page like below.I am currently rewriting the tutorial (more comments,and illustrations) So, if you guys think it looks OK, we could use this, if not, copy and paste into a new masterpage is just a breeze... :wink:

I also intend to expand the explanations more, so even new users, can follow it.Maybe the blanc sketch on the last page? people make a screenshot, and start painting it on their own ?

I have one major problem, the pdf size is going to be huge....any tips?

EDIT: I finished the tutorial.It's over12MB in size(7 pages,including the clean drawing) , but I found an exporting feature to export for the web, and that's a very small file.

D Akey
02-12-2007, 02:34 AM
There's a way to compress pdfs in v.7 (and maybe other versions as well, but I only have 7). It's under "File".

You can pretty much cut the size in half. And reduced files are only compatible with v.5 and later, I think I read on the prompt as I was beginning the reduction process.

Problem is that the images lose some quality. All a matter of what's acceptable to you.

Deviant Art has lots of tutorials. Might use one of those that you like as a model for size and so on. I seem to recall it being popular there to just string them together into one long image that you could drag through.

Not very elegant, but it got the information across.

vil
02-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Hanzz thank you so much for this tutorial - it's fantastic and I am certainly going to try it out.

hanzz
02-12-2007, 04:37 AM
No thanks, here's the picture to try it on your own.Just don't sign and sell it as being yours :lol:

vil
02-12-2007, 05:48 AM
I was going to try the technique on my sketch - Head of Water, an 18th cent. terracota but thanks to you I can practise on both :lol:

hanzz
02-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I will look into it, I want the best result possible.

MattRage
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I'll formalise this when I get a moment but for now, here are some pixel perfect header images you can use if you want to create a tutorial banner at the top, rather than having to use the nasty JPEGs from the site itself :)

Left End and Right End go at the ends of the bar. Logo contains the ArtRage Logo, and use Filler to fill in gaps and you can put your tutorial text over the top of that...

D Akey
02-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Looks great Hanzz.

Kanted
02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Well Done!!!!!

pai
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Nice tutorial for new beginner. Thanks, Hanzz.

hanzz
02-26-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm thinking of buyint pageplusX2, but meanwhile there's a new big fish on the net.The quarckwannabe of open source now also targets the windows area....
Look at Scribus !
http://www.scribus.net/

Also exports to pdf, even pdf presentations.imports svg from inkscape, and textfiles directly out of open office.org.

could be handy to exchange files for those making tutorials.Make a masterpage, and every new page is immediatly ready to type, background ready and all.

hanzz
03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
I just discovered in Open Office.org, an opensource 'Office' package, which I have for years....
Never used the module "Impress" (counterpart of 'powerpoint)before.

Now I found out that you can export to PDF, with animated effects,and clickable area's . This can make the thing as interactive as can be..... I am thinking on making another tutorial.......hmmm

hey,...... I said THINKING !

hanzz
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
just bought pageplus11 from ebay.Mighty good. We can create and exchange backgrounds now Sweedie.If you have ideas, I'm all open for it.