PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of the Pine

gxhpainter2
01-14-2013, 07:58 AM
not had much time for painting, taking a bit of a break .. but have had this idea/image in my head for days so decided I should get busy and paint it...

copespeak
01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Gorgeous! So cool and with a hint of realism tucked into it, you can almost smell the pine needles.

limey-g
01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
I like this Gary, love the textures of the pine.
Geoff

Marilyn Anne
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
I like the subject and the details surrounding it. Very nice.

Docsmith626
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
I have long suspected that your work is rooted in realistic images. The Waltz and the Blue Dog come immediately to mind.

Albert
01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Wonderful work!

D Akey
01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I agree with the others who are noting that realism is seeping back in a wee bit. Like you have a foot in both worlds. Of course, if you were a centipede, you could have maybe 27 feet in one world, and 73 in the other unless I miss my calculations. Or maybe it could be where you have as few as 1 foot in 100 worlds etc. . . . And then were you a millipede. . . well, you can see that being bipedal really helps to simplify and thus allows the Hokey Pokey and other dances to be less about the math and more about the binary expression. I like it!

kenmo
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Excellent work...:cool::cool:

Starry_Eve
01-15-2013, 06:34 AM
I like the collage-type effect of lines, colors, and shapes. My first impression of the picture was feeling like I was looking at a windshield of a car driving past a landscape of a pine and mountains, but that's just me. A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing!

AT-TA
01-15-2013, 09:13 AM
So expressive Gary, love the colors and yes i have found that little pine tree.. i love trees... and this one is so pretty. Have a wonderful New Year!

gxhpainter2
01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Gorgeous! So cool and with a hint of realism tucked into it, you can almost smell the pine needles. thanks copespeak..I was not entirely sure about that blend of realism and abstract but in the end I thought it worked.. :):)

I like this Gary, love the textures of the pine.
Geoff Geoff thanks mate , glad you like that expression of a pine tree. :cool:

I like the subject and the details surrounding it. Very nice. Marilyn Anne thanks for your comments. :)

I have long suspected that your work is rooted in realistic images. The Waltz and the Blue Dog come immediately to mind. Docsmith....busted !..:rolleyes:...yes my work is deeply rooted in the natural world... just a way of reorganizing and scaling its elements.

Wonderful work! thanks Albert. :)

Yeah, I agree with the others who are noting that realism is seeping back in a wee bit. Like you have a foot in both worlds. Of course, if you were a centipede, you could have maybe 27 feet in one world, and 73 in the other unless I miss my calculations. Or maybe it could be where you have as few as 1 foot in 100 worlds etc. . . . And then were you a millipede. . . well, you can see that being bipedal really helps to simplify and thus allows the Hokey Pokey and other dances to be less about the math and more about the binary expression. I like it! man you really had me laughing with this comment... so hear the sound of 500 pairs of hands clapping :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool:

Excellent work...:cool::cool: thanks Kenmo...

I like the collage-type effect of lines, colors, and shapes. My first impression of the picture was feeling like I was looking at a windshield of a car driving past a landscape of a pine and mountains, but that's just me. A very nice piece. Thanks for sharing! Starry_Eve.. thanks for commenting on this work.

So expressive Gary, love the colors and yes i have found that little pine tree.. i love trees... and this one is so pretty. Have a wonderful New Year! Anna... I too have always loved trees , and I am happy you found this pine in the forest..:cool::)

justjean
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Gary another filled with great lines, textures and colours

pat1940
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
This is so beautiful Gary, many of my favorite colors....I also have taken a break and just got back at it yesterday, I really think it helps to refresh your mind, very nice work Gary

screenpainter
01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
great directions, rhythms and textures in a cool blue green with touches of gray. definitely Northwest. :)

jibes
01-16-2013, 06:48 PM
A break is a good thing sometimes as is manifest in this great design! Great and beautiful painting Gary.

hypotaxis
01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I like its coolness, its depth, its transparency and its restraint.

Yup, (tipping head to one side and looking again!) I definitely like it!

Brett

coops
01-17-2013, 03:31 AM
I like this one very much Gary, well done:)

gxhpainter2
01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Gary another filled with great lines, textures and colours thank you !..:)

This is so beautiful Gary, many of my favorite colors....I also have taken a break and just got back at it yesterday, I really think it helps to refresh your mind, very nice work Gary thanks Pat... I have found over the years taking a brief break builds up that pressure to create and try out new ideas and get a fresh start...:)

great directions, rhythms and textures in a cool blue green with touches of gray. definitely Northwest. :) thanks Albert definitely a NW palette in this one.

A break is a good thing sometimes as is manifest in this great design! Great and beautiful painting Gary. thanks so much Neal.:)

I like its coolness, its depth, its transparency and its restraint.

Yup, (tipping head to one side and looking again!) I definitely like it!

Brett Brett thanks I am very happy you like this one. :)

I like this one very much Gary, well done:) Katie...thanks for your sweet comment. from all the activity on this I seem to have found something that people can relate to more easily that strict abstraction.. having that wee bit of realism to hang on to makes the rest easy to understand and give the view a starting point I think. I guess I was some what inspired by your recent works where your background is very abstract and richly colored and textured and yet a small portion is realistic and you have been very successful in blending the right proportions of abstraction to realism.. :cool::cool::):)

Lindae
01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Good one. Love all the depth!

Mairzie Dotes
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
gxhpainter,
What a stunningly beautiful abstract. You have captured the
very essence, grace and rapture of earth's seasonal bounty
and grandeur. Excellent artwork! :D

chinapete
01-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Gary, many moons ago when I began with ArtRage and discovered this friendly forum, it was one of your paintings that moved me to my first comments -- that was a big step, as I am reticent by nature, but the exquisite tension you found and continue to find between realism and abstraction, and your ability to talk about it, encouraged me ... I know virtually nothing about music, but I think of Spirit of the Pine as a musical score, mostly in major, with a hint of minor, and plenty of chromaticism in between ...

Alexandra
01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Another outstandingly beautiful piece dear friend. Love it.

gxhpainter2
01-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Good one. Love all the depth! thanks so much :).

gxhpainter,
What a stunningly beautiful abstract. You have captured the
very essence, grace and rapture of earth's seasonal bounty
and grandeur. Excellent artwork! :D such poetry, I am glad to have evoked that as your comment...thanks so much I always enjoy your comments on everyones work..

Gary, many moons ago when I began with ArtRage and discovered this friendly forum, it was one of your paintings that moved me to my first comments -- that was a big step, as I am reticent by nature, but the exquisite tension you found and continue to find between realism and abstraction, and your ability to talk about it, encouraged me ... I know virtually nothing about music, but I think of Spirit of the Pine as a musical score, mostly in major, with a hint of minor, and plenty of chromaticism in between ... chinapete..wow..thanks I am very pleased to have had my work move you in such a way..and I appreciate your observation on the balance I seek between the exactness of the abstract and the bounty of the realistic image..

Another outstandingly beautiful piece dear friend. Love it. Hey Alexandra we were wondering about you and it is wonderful to hear from you again... I hope all is well in your world !.:):):)