PDA

View Full Version : Fan Brush

Edward Ingram
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
If someone familiar with brush creation could make a fan brush that is rotatable, that would be great.
I have a program called "Project Dogwaffle" that contains a fan brush that I got to be able to set the angle.
Problem is: there's very limited documentation, and there are a million settings and adjustments for everything, that it
would take a lifetime to learn.
It's fun to play with, but very hard to do any serious painting.
Learning to manipulate the very sophisticated program gets in the way of creativity.
I could download the fan brush in .tga format if anyone could adapt it into ArtRage.

Someonesane
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Is it a bitmap brush? Go ahead and post it, along with an example of what it's stroke would appear like in the other program. I'll try to replicate it.

Edward Ingram
01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Is it a bitmap brush? Go ahead and post it, along with an example of what it's stroke would appear like in the other program. I'll try to replicate it.

Apparently I spoke too soon. There are hundreds of brushes and I got the effect I was after only once and I forgot which brush it was. The one called "fan" isn't it.
I'm showing a list of all the brushes available, but as I said there are too many and the documentation doesn't say how to import or load them.
Most of the custom ones are in Particles and these are .opt files (they call them octopustics).
Sorry I spoke too soon.
As you can see on the left under Howler there are many brush sets beside the ones called brush sets.

Someonesane
01-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Okay, well if nothing else, we know they're bitmap brush tips. Do you have an example (either of your own, or from an online source) of what you'd like the brush stroke to look like when used?

Edward Ingram
01-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Well they're not all .bmp. If we save a custom brush, it gets the Targa suffix.
Also some are .opt suffix and some are .lua suffix.
I did, however find the brush I wanted. It's in a category called Bristles.
If you look in the upper right of the inset panel, you will see a circle with a tiny circle inside.
That adjusts the angle of the brush.
The reason me (and I've noticed at least one other user) want the fan brush is that we
learned to paint evergreens from Bob Ross using one.
I am attaching a file that will make it more clear.
BTW there is a free and also a very cheap Edition of Project Dogwaffle at:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/

Someonesane
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Okay, here's what I came up with. I set up presets that are set at 15° intervals, starting from 0° and ending at 165°. There's also two "Freestyle" presets that have unique qualities to them. The .arpack containing what you'll need to use them with the Sticker Spray tool, can be downloaded here:

Link: Fan Brush (https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gj3ls3ex8t5yhq/Fan%20Brush.arpack?dl=0)

Here's a screen shot of a few strokes, made by the different presets:

Edward Ingram
01-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Okay, here's what I came up with. I set up presets that are set at 15° intervals, starting from 0° and ending at 165°. There's also two "Freestyle" presets that have unique qualities to them. The .arpack containing what you'll need to use them with the Sticker Spray tool, can be downloaded here: LINK (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Fan%20Brush.arpack)

When I click on the dropbox link I get "404 file not found"
Typo maybe?
BTW: the swatches in the inset box are for various amounts and loading of the brush

hypotaxis
01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Okay, here's what I came up with ... <snip>

Wow Gaetano! You did it again, these are great! More fun playing.

Brett

Someonesane
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
When I click on the dropbox link I get "404 file not found"
Typo maybe?

It appears to work on my end. Try right clicking on it, and selecting "Save as" (or "Save Link as", depending on your browser).

BTW: the swatches in the inset box are for various amounts and loading of the brush

I'm afraid I won't be able to mimic loading. The brushes are set up to use brush pressure though, so the lighter you press, the more transparent the stroke will be.

Wow Gaetano! You did it again, these are great! More fun playing.

Brett

Thanks Brett, enjoy! :cool:

cripster
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey SoS i really like the freestyle1 brush i did this fast but going to use it in one of my pics i'm doing :)

Edward Ingram
01-16-2013, 02:27 AM
It appears to work on my end. Try right clicking on it, and selecting "Save as" (or "Save Link as", depending on your browser).

I'm afraid I won't be able to mimic loading. The brushes are set up to use brush pressure though, so the lighter you press, the more transparent the stroke will be.

OK, I right clicked, saved in documents folder "Artrage". Then when file was saved I clicked 'open'.
Artrage opened (automatically) with a combo box. I clicked 'install'.
It said 'finished'.
So now, how do I find the brush?
It isn't in presets.

Edward Ingram
01-16-2013, 03:45 AM

OK I got it installed, but now I can't find it in either brush presets or stencils.
It installed ok, and it shows up in the package folder, but I can't find it in Artrage pro.
Where should I look?

markw
01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
After installing the Fan Brush you can select it as follows;

1: Select Sticker Spray Tool
2: Open Presets Pod
3: Click Groups
4: Select 'Fan Brush' group

cripster
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
OK I got it installed, but now I can't find it in either brush presets or stencils.
It installed ok, and it shows up in the package folder, but I can't find it in Artrage pro.
Where should I look?

Hey edward can you answer my pm i sent you please.

Someonesane
01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
So now, how do I find the brush?

Markw's explanation is correct. You need to first select the Sticker Spray tool, then open your Presets Panel and locate the group named "Fan Brush", where you'll find all of the presets.

Edward Ingram
01-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Markw's explanation is correct. You need to first select the Sticker Spray tool, then open your Presets Panel and locate the group named "Fan Brush", where you'll find all of the presets.

I'm sorry to be so slow, but look at the attached and all I see in the sticker group 'fan brush' is the test .
And when I click stickers, the oil brush stays selected.

Someonesane
01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
You have the oil brush selected there. You need to select the Sticker Spray tool (the thing that has pictures of little feet on it, located between the the glitter tool and the ink pen on the tools panel. This tool must be selected, otherwise the only presets you'll see will befor the wrong tool.

markw
01-17-2013, 02:37 AM
It looks like you have the oil brush tool selected there. The fan brush settings only work with the sticker spray tool.

Edward Ingram
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Whew, finally got there!
Thanks for your patience.
Ed

ironman.62
10-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Hey SOS -- It appears that the link for your Fan Brush is no longer valid - right click, or otherwise. Any chance you could be persuaded to repost a live link? It would be seriously helpful!

Someonesane
10-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Hey SOS -- It appears that the link for your Fan Brush is no longer valid - right click, or otherwise. Any chance you could be persuaded to repost a live link? It would be seriously helpful!

Hi Ironman.62,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've created a new link for you to try. Please visit the link below to try it out and let me know if you have any trouble.

Link: Fan Brush (https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gj3ls3ex8t5yhq/Fan%20Brush.arpack?dl=0)

ironman.62
10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Thank you sir! Wondering if you will be doing more tutorial type stuff. You have a great style and it was very instructive. Would be nice to see some more...

Someonesane
10-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Thank you sir! Wondering if you will be doing more tutorial type stuff. You have a great style and it was very instructive. Would be nice to see some more...

No problem! I'd love to do more tutorials, I've just been overloaded at work and just haven't had the energy to do much beyond veg out in front of the TV.

hildee
10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Love the freestyle1 fan brush, very quirky. The others look much the same except for the angle.