PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's ArtRage Basics?

Starry_Eve
12-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi, I'm new to using art software and would like to know if there's a forum section for beginner dunces like me who's still struggling to figure out why the background layer disappears when I'm trying to drag down and merge it with my imported picture layer or how to move the stencil to the desired location on my canvas screen. It took hours of trial and error for me to get the hang of the masking tool too. I love the potential of ArtRage, but it's really frustrating when I can't even perform these basic functions. I've read through the user's tutorial, but it would help me more if someone could explain my issues in a different way or if there were clearer, visual examples maybe...? Please help!

copespeak
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't use the masking tool so can't help you on that, but not so long ago I was the 'dunce' who asked about moving the stencils. Bottom left, hit the Transform Tool, go click on the stencil, and enlarge, reduce or move it at will!

Keep working at it! There's plenty of help to be had as we all once been learners, and continue to do so.

Starry_Eve
12-20-2012, 03:22 AM
The Transform tool, that's it to moving the stencils?? Geez, I had assumed I could simply click on the stencil, hold it, and drag it wherever... Thanks for the lesson, copespeak!

Can someone explain to me about the layering process? I'm using the masking tool to compensate because my foreground and background pictures aren't merging properly. When I drag the foreground layer into the background layer, all I end up seeing is the foreground picture. Same thing happens when I import a foreground layer pic onto my background picture. This function should be simple too, but for me, it's not. It almost makes me want to give up and change over to a different art software program or else, just save up for Adobe Photoshop. :/

limey-g
12-20-2012, 06:00 AM
The Transform tool, that's it to moving the stencils?? Geez, I had assumed I could simply click on the stencil, hold it, and drag it wherever... Thanks for the lesson, copespeak!

Can someone explain to me about the layering process? I'm using the masking tool to compensate because my foreground and background pictures aren't merging properly. When I drag the foreground layer into the background layer, all I end up seeing is the foreground picture. Same thing happens when I import a foreground layer pic onto my background picture. This function should be simple too, but for me, it's not. It almost makes me want to give up and change over to a different art software program or else, just save up for Adobe Photoshop. :/

The best way of looking at layers is to imagine them as sheets of clear glass so looking down from the top you will see the various elements on the layers below giving the effect of a composite image.
However the background of each layer generally has to be clear, not a white background like a jpg file will give you. Obviously if you have a white background then it will block the view for any layer underneath.
Having said that each layer can have a blend mode which is accessed by clicking on the icon on the lower right of the layer.
Under certain conditions depending whats on the layers and the blend mode selected it is possible to let a lower layer show through.
Hope this helps a little.
Geoff

Fashmir
12-20-2012, 08:30 AM
The Transform tool, that's it to moving the stencils?? Geez, I had assumed I could simply click on the stencil, hold it, and drag it wherever...

When you have a stencil on the work space, all you have to do to move it is hold down the space bar and drag it around, hold down the alt key (option on mac) to change the size and hold down crtl (command on mac) to rotate. There is no need to use the transform tool.

Don't despair too soon. There are a good many tutorials and resources in the tips and tricks section. It is going to take effort to learn and for the work flow to become second nature for you. Be patient with yourself and with the tools, it will come. Layer functionality is very much the same in Photoshop as it is in ArtRage. I have been using both programs for years and my advice is to take a good look at what you want to accomplish with digital art. If it is about photo-composite or photo-manipulation then Photoshop may be your best option if money is not a barrier. If you are more interested in creating artwork by hand using tools that resemble traditional media, then you are already using a very powerful tool for that endeavor. Switching to something else when you run into frustration and struggles with understanding is just going to cost you money and delay your progress toward the achievement of skill.

It will help forum members to help you if and when you can post example images of what you are trying to do and describe the problems you are trying to solve. I wish you well and look forward to being helpful to you as you explore digital art.

Starry_Eve
12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
However the background of each layer generally has to be clear, not a white background like a jpg file will give you. Obviously if you have a white background then it will block the view for any layer underneath.
Geoff

Well, that would certainly explain why my jpg file import ended up obscuring my background layer! What's the solution then if I already have an image created by a traditional tool like markers and I want to insert that illustration into a background layer created digitally through the ArtRage program? My thanks for your piece of helpful knowledge, limey-g!

Starry_Eve
12-20-2012, 06:58 PM
When you have a stencil on the work space, all you have to do to move it is hold down the space bar and drag it around, hold down the alt key (option on mac) to change the size and hold down crtl (command on mac) to rotate. There is no need to use the transform tool.

Don't despair too soon. There are a good many tutorials and resources in the tips and tricks section. It is going to take effort to learn and for the work flow to become second nature for you. Be patient with yourself and with the tools, it will come. Layer functionality is very much the same in Photoshop as it is in ArtRage. I have been using both programs for years and my advice is to take a good look at what you want to accomplish with digital art. If it is about photo-composite or photo-manipulation then Photoshop may be your best option if money is not a barrier. If you are more interested in creating artwork by hand using tools that resemble traditional media, then you are already using a very powerful tool for that endeavor. Switching to something else when you run into frustration and struggles with understanding is just going to cost you money and delay your progress toward the achievement of skill.

It will help forum members to help you if and when you can post example images of what you are trying to do and describe the problems you are trying to solve. I wish you well and look forward to being helpful to you as you explore digital art.

Fashmir, I truly appreciate your words of support and encouragement. Thank you so much! I'm currently using a stylus on a PC tablet to practice my digital art painting. I'm not sure how much difference there is between using a 'pen' vs a mouse. Since I don't use a mouse, I think I would need to use the Transform tool?

I finally found a beginner's ArtRage 2.5 tutorial on this forum (I have ArtRage 3.0) and I'll probably re-watch it on my iPad while trying to follow the instructions on my tablet. Please feel free to offer any other useful link recommendations.

You're right that Adobe Photoshope is overly expensive for my simple needs at the moment. I'm a mixed media artist with limited traditional skills and obviously even more limited digital skills. I was hoping to learn how to combine both in order to improve my pictures to the best they can be.

How can I post example images of me failing to overlay a foreground pic onto a background layer though? If I can just figure out this one 'simple' technique first, I think learning the rest of the tricks won't feel as intimidating...

Someonesane
12-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Well, that would certainly explain why my jpg file import ended up obscuring my background layer! What's the solution then if I already have an image created by a traditional tool like markers and I want to insert that illustration into a background layer created digitally through the ArtRage program?

It's rare to have a one button solution for this sort of thing. How you get by will depends on how clean of a scan it is, and how white the paper is. Your first option could be importing the image to its own layer, and then changing the layers Blend Mode, via the layer menu option. Multiply is normally my go to blend type. However, you mention you've already colored your piece, so this may not be a viable option for you. Another option is using a filter designed to remove a specific color (this case being white). This requires ArtRage Studio Pro. Since you mentioned having ArtRage 3, but didn't specify which version of three, I'm not sure this will be available to you, and since I'm currently on my iPad, watching the news before work, I won't get into the details of this yet. Your next option would probably fall to removing the area by hand, either by the eraser, or using the selection features.

When I get home this afternoon, I'll post some links to my YouTube tutorials in ArtRage, for you. I may even make a new one about working around white area, since there seems to be a of people asking about it (If you do a search a the forums, you'll find other threads about how to use the filters in the meantime).

Starry_Eve
12-21-2012, 03:23 AM
To "Someonesane":

I have Art Rage 3.5.5 Studio Pro, and that's tremendously nice of you to take the extra time to help digital newbies like me! I'd love to be able to show off a personal ArtRage-enhanced painting and give heaps of credit to people like you for the invaluable instruction! Thank you! <dances the happy-happy-joy-joy dance> ;)

Erasing seems like using the Masking function, and it's difficult to erase around the contours of the foreground picture. I would be grateful for any assistance towards understanding the Blend and Filtering modes too. I think I've seen them on the menu screen but was afraid to touch them. :/

My foreground pictures are usually already colored, yes,...I mainly wanted the art software to help me fill in background work that I'm unable to do with the traditional art tools.

sueellen
12-21-2012, 03:53 AM
I was also baffled that everything else disappears when I move a jpeg to an upper layer of my ArtRage painting. Like you, I like to combine my "real life" art with digital art. SomeoneSane mentions using a filter that can remove all of a specific color (in my case it's always white). There are many free plug-ins that do that, like Mike's KillWhite. (I am grateful to generous Ragers who provided that info.)

I had assumed I needed to put off buying Studio Pro because I hadn't learned everything that 2.5 or 3 can offer. Once I discovered that it wasn't like high school, having to graduate from one level to rise to the next, I was very pleased with my upgrade to Studio Pro-- I'm a SLOW learner, but I discovered it's fine to learn slowly from a wider choice of tools. Being able to acquire a filter to Remove White was one of the wonderful benefits.

I hope you will play with ArtRage every day. When I get "stuck" because I've discovered something I can't do, I cruise the forums and the tutorials until I find the answer; or if I can't, I can always ask (as you have wisely done). I can learn only one sticking-place at a time, because I'm a kinetic-learner and can't absorb all the information from a tutorial at once. I read a bit of a tutorial, incorporate that into what I'm doing, then read a bit more when I'm ready. The effort pays off handsomely. As Fashmir has said, it can become second nature.

sueellen
12-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Hmm. I'm also slow at writing which means someone else has posted an answer before mine shows up, and it looks like I don't bother to read..

To erase around an image there have been many cases where I have been able to make a stencil of that image to use as an eraser guide rather than masking.

limey-g
12-21-2012, 04:30 AM
I think the solution here is to stay away from saving anything as a jpg as that cannot save an image with a transparent background.
Saving as a psd or png is the way to go.
If you have something that you want the background removing from I can certainly do it very easily in Photoshop for you.
Geoff

Fashmir
12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I've posted a simple layer tutorial here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?42723-Simple-Layer-Tutorial

Starry_Eve
12-22-2012, 03:08 AM
I was also baffled that everything else disappears when I move a jpeg to an upper layer of my ArtRage painting. Like you, I like to combine my "real life" art with digital art. SomeoneSane mentions using a filter that can remove all of a specific color (in my case it's always white). There are many free plug-ins that do that, like Mike's KillWhite. (I am grateful to generous Ragers who provided that info.)

I had assumed I needed to put off buying Studio Pro because I hadn't learned everything that 2.5 or 3 can offer. Once I discovered that it wasn't like high school, having to graduate from one level to rise to the next, I was very pleased with my upgrade to Studio Pro-- I'm a SLOW learner, but I discovered it's fine to learn slowly from a wider choice of tools. Being able to acquire a filter to Remove White was one of the wonderful benefits.

I hope you will play with ArtRage every day. When I get "stuck" because I've discovered something I can't do, I cruise the forums and the tutorials until I find the answer; or if I can't, I can always ask (as you have wisely done). I can learn only one sticking-place at a time, because I'm a kinetic-learner and can't absorb all the information from a tutorial at once. I read a bit of a tutorial, incorporate that into what I'm doing, then read a bit more when I'm ready. The effort pays off handsomely. As Fashmir has said, it can become second nature.

So KillWhite can erase the white and leave a transparent background? I'm glad to know I'm not the only SLOW learner when it comes to computer art, thanks for your support sueellen! I also am limited to learning one technique at a time until I 'master' it. The vast potential of ArtRage just boggles my mind and eyes that I'd feel a huge sense of achievement if I can layer even one picture successfully over another.

I don't yet know how to create a stencil of my foreground character, but I could try saving it as a png as limey-g suggested instead of jpeg and see what happens...?

Starry_Eve
12-22-2012, 03:23 AM
I've posted a simple layer tutorial here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?42723-Simple-Layer-Tutorial

I will be checking out your link after I get home from work today, Fashmir, thank you. Hopefully, it will also help clarify my questions and if I can follow your instructions well along with tips from the others, maybe I can finally post my first ArtRage painting for everyone to see! I cannot re-emphasize enough the fact that the supportiveness of this forum has been the biggest influence so far in helping me believe in ArtRage as a worthwhile painting program despite the not so easy learning curve. I gotta think like the little train who could and keep chug-chug-chugging along! ;)

sueellen
12-22-2012, 04:50 AM
To make a stencil from a layer: In the layers (pod?), hover your cursor over the little square that shows the layer you want, and click on the stripey thing that appears bottom right. It will open a list of things of which "New stencil from layer contents" is at the bottom.

I'm not sure why I spent so much time making flies, or how in love with Arthropod Art you might be; but here's as much as I could show in a screen shot. Some of the stuff doesn't show-- I made a stencil that included the outline of the wings so I could erase everything on that concentric circle design (next to last layer shown) that wasn't wing-shaped; and I needed a stencil of the body so I could tint the wings separately. I decided to stick with plain gray.

I really am not silly-ignorant as to the names of the various screen components, but when I finally learned the strokes well enough that I no longer needed the names, I forgot them all and it would take a long time to find the references.

At the upper left of the canvas I placed some finished Fly-Stickers that I will incorporate into who-knows-what.

Starry_Eve
12-22-2012, 05:37 PM
That is certainly an impressive insect stencil, sueellen! I'm still scratching my head at how you managed to do it, but I guess it's a lot of hands-on trial and error and terrific tips from the expert ArtRagers. :)

Someonesane
12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Christmas was a bit more busy then I planned for. Anyway, here's a video on how I'd handle painting behind a scanned image (with a white background): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVbOjLhP5-M.

I use the technique on the image below left, to get the image on the below right.
71848 71849

Starry_Eve
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I watched your video tutorial several times, and I probably will re-watch it again until I better understand the process... I'm still a bit confused as to why the Blend Mode needs to be set to 'Multiply' and is outlining for the mask done on the bottom layer or another new layer? :confused: Sorry, but I'm just not a natural at digital art or computer 'common sense'. :(

I love your coloring style, and thank you for the additional input! I know it'll be really helpful when I'm able to progress to more detailed background work.

Someonesane
12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
For my image, it was important because of the paper texture. The paper was white, but it had a great deal of texture to it, because it was watercolor paper. So using a method for removing the white area would've been difficult, and would make the image of the figure look out of place, since it'd retain the texture of the paper itself. By using the Multiply feature, the texture of the existing paper shadows the layers I work on beneath it, allowing them to blend together nicely, and appear as though they belong together. Also, at the end of the video, you'll see I posted a couple of different examples of how I used the same technique. In the last example (which you'll also find attached below), you'll notice the image isn't a simple line drawing; It's more of a gray scale charcoal pencil image. Since the hard edges of the objects are created by filled areas, rather then pure lines, cutting anything out of it would look forced. By using the Multiply blend mode, however, I was easily able to color beneath the gray values, without needing to cut, or mask, anything out at all.

Starry_Eve
12-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Someonesane: I am in total awe of your computer art smarts! How long did it take you to master the tools of ArtRage?

Someonesane
12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Someonesane: I am in total awe of your computer art smarts! How long did it take you to master the tools of ArtRage?

Going by the date of my first post to these forums, I've been using ArtRage since October 25, 2007. So what I know about it has been gathered over a six year period. However, I wouldn't say it took that long to get proficient with it. ArtRage is, for the most part, a pretty easy program to pick up. Well... Easy in comparison to many of the other art related programs available. Since I was already accustomed to using programs like Photoshop (thanks to some graphic design courses), and I had studied traditional methods of art in college, I only had to adapt my knowledge of both for ArtRage. Still... There's no 'end' to learning. For example, when I outlined the figure in the video I posted, I found a better way of handling my outlines.

For whatever reason, while making that particular video, I went around the outside of the figure. Normally, I would've outlined the inside and then filled it in with the Fill tool. I'd then have to do some touch up work, because the Fill tool tends to leave a thin line between the outline and the fill (and yes, there are ways to spread the fill further, but that usually leaves an unwanted pixelated edge to the outline). So anyway, I broke my normal workflow pattern, and made the outline on the outside. I didn't feel like restarting the recording for the tutorial, so I just went with what I did, and used the Select Layer Contents feature to grab the outline, and then inverted it, so I could fill the center. This saves me from having to do the touch up work, while also saving me time, despite the extra steps, because I have shortcuts keys for both of the selection features. So, it was a lesson learned for me.

Starry_Eve
01-01-2013, 05:43 AM

I got the background colored after playing with the airbrush tool and following someonesane's masking tutorial but now am stumped on how to erase the red? For whatever reasons, I couldn't paint my clouds to show on the new layer that I added over the original blue sky (my first attempt applying copespeak's tips).

Geez, it's like once I find a sliver of light through the tunnel, I somehow manage to put myself back into the dark. Oh well, I'll keep at it... :/

Someonesane
01-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Hmm... Well, it looks like you drew the red layer mask on its own layer (which is the correct thing to do in my method). So, you can either use the mask to create a selection, and then use that to clear that area from your sky layer, or you can just turn your "red" mask, into a "white" mask. Here's how to do both:

Cut the area out:

1 - Click on the Red Mask layer, on your Layer Panel, so that it's highlighted.
2 - Go to "Edit > Select Layer Contents".
3 - Click on your Sky layer, on your Layer Panel, so that it's highlighted.
4 - Go to "Edit > Clear".
5 - Hide your Red Mask Layer by clicking on the Eyeball icon, located in the upper left corner of its layer panel box.

Or...

Turn the "Red" Layer Mask "White":

1 - Click on the Red Mask layer, on your Layer Panel, so that it's highlighted.
2 - Go to "Edit > Adjust Layer Colors".
3 - Increase the Brightness option on the Adjust Colors Panel, to 100%.
4 - Click OK on the Adjust Color panel to accept the change.

Starry_Eve
01-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Editing out the area returned my foreground picture back to normal, but also cleared away the sky which I wanted to keep. The second advice was the easiest fix to remove the red mask, and what I should've done. I forgot to max out the brightness to 100% on the red mask after I had clicked on the 'Select Layer Contents' option, darn!

Thank you for your AR wisdom yet again, Someonesane...! I'm so happy that your patience threshold seems to be eternally high because I was prepared to review your video tutorial for as many times as it would've taken to figure this out. The 'White Mask' function is likely something I'll be using on a routine basis now!

Someonesane
01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Editing out the area returned my foreground picture back to normal, but also cleared away the sky which I wanted to keep.

If the second method worked out for you, then I figure you may have had the wrong layer selected when attempting to clear out the selection during the first method. It's something I still do occasionally. Thank goodness for the infinitely helpful "Undo" feature.

The second advice was the easiest fix to remove the red mask, and what I should've done. I forgot to max out the brightness to 100% on the red mask after I had clicked on the 'Select Layer Contents' option, darn!

Thank you for your AR wisdom yet again, Someonesane...! I'm so happy that your patience threshold seems to be eternally high because I was prepared to review your video tutorial for as many times as it would've taken to figure this out. The 'White Mask' function is likely something I'll be using on a routine basis now!

No problem :)

I see you have white outline around your black lines. Some people use this as part of their personal style, so it's possible you're doing the same here. If not, it's probably because you filled the outline on the same layer you drew it on, instead of a new layer. Still, You're final image image came out very nice. Be sure to post it to your gallery! :cool:

Starry_Eve
01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
If the second method worked out for you, then I figure you may have had the wrong layer selected when attempting to clear out the selection during the first method. It's something I still do occasionally. Thank goodness for the infinitely helpful "Undo" feature.

Errrr, yeah, I think I might have done what you wrote in my underline... darn it!

No problem :)

I see you have white outline around your black lines. Some people use this as part of their personal style, so it's possible you're doing the same here. If not, it's probably because you filled the outline on the same layer you drew it on, instead of a new layer. Still, You're final image image came out very nice. Be sure to post it to your gallery! :cool:

Um, not?... but we can pretend I meant to do it as a part of my personal style! <sheepish grin>

I guess it's back to the practice board for me again... I'll probably wait until I can paint one AR pic on my own before I feel worthy of posting it on a gallery here. <sighs>

Starry_Eve
01-01-2013, 07:03 PM

In this scenario, I took out the original blue (using copespeak's fill bucket method to re-color the sky background) and situated the pegasus and clouds in their own separate layers. However, because the background isn't transparent, the pegasus will not properly overlay the clouds. At 100% opacity, the white (or original blue) background will completely cover the cloud layer so you can't see the clouds behind the pegasus. At less than 100% opacity, you can see the clouds, but they end up showing through the pegasus. Is there a way to easily correct this without relying on a mask? I'm slowly grasping the importance of layer positioning and transparency, but my brain is still a muddled mess right now because copespeak's instructions should've also given me the results I wanted, hmm...

"Use your magic wand and select the blue, select inverse (pegasus), then CTL X and CTRL V to put it on a new layer, then go to the big hole in the blue layer and Fill with the sky colour..... and then New Layer in between the those two.... Do your clouds!"

Just received the above instructions, but... I don't know what the big hole in the blue layer is supposed to be! I wonder if I need to 'Select Layer Contents' too?...I gotta sleep on this and maybe New Year's day will revitalize my brain cells, ugh.

Starry_Eve
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
After studying my test layer of overlapping geometric shapes and how it should've worked for my peg picture (without resorting to masking) but still puzzled as to why it didn't, I noticed the eraser tool and suddenly wondered why nobody mentioned this method of getting my cloud sky to show through as the background behind my pegasus.
72001 72002

72003 72004

Needless to say, I applied copespeak's advice by positioning the foreground peg drawing on top and the cloud sky beneath and then just tried to erase the white background of the peg picture (top layer). Lo and behold, I saw the cloud sky begin to appear on my pegasus layer while moving the tool across the background and around the contour of the pegasus!

Starry_Eve
01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Eureka! After cleaning around the edges, here's the pegasus again with a cloud sky background (no mask method), finally!

And yes, I do feel quite proud of myself regardless of how elementary this process would be for most ArtRagers. I hope my mistakes and struggles will help someone else avoid the same frustrations that I went through. I will continue to practice what I've learned so far and follow in the footsteps of those who are always kind enough to lend their assistance. ^_^

Whew, I'm taking a mental break now!

Someonesane
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Well done Starry_Eve :cool:

I'm not sure about the others, but my reason for skipping over the eraser method, deals with the fact that it erases whatever it touches. There's no room for error, when doing it. For example, you may be doing a great job of erasing around your image for a good 3 inches, then suddenly slip up and erase a hoof. Since you would've erased the original image away, you would have to resort to undoing the whole line, even though part of it looked good. With a mask, you're afforded the leeway to make mistakes that can be erased away, while also being given the chance to experiment with the other tools as though they were erasers themselves.

Starry_Eve
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you, thank you! <pats myself on the back> :p You're right that erasing only the desired areas can be a bit tricky, and I do prefer masking for the same reasons you gave, Someonesane. The 'undoing' issue with the eraser tool wasn't so bad (it gave me more practice with hand-eye-line coordination too); besides, I figured I could always re-draw the missing parts if necessary.

I knew there was another 'simple' solution to the results what I wanted, and I was determined to figure it out. It just took me some time, patience, and a few, refreshed brain cells! ;)

Drayldan
01-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Hello there,
Let me ask you (by the way of this topic):
is there any professional/commercial video-tutorial(s) on using latest Artrage versions from scratch? Like those many available videotuts for Photoshop or Corel Painter users?
:confused:
Where one could find any "scripted" stages of paintings from other ArtRage artist? I tried to search these "scripts" on the net, but wasn't too successful... :(

Starry_Eve
01-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Well, I think Someonesane has some really good video tutorials! Try looking them up on Youtube under his username. It also depends on how much step-by-step details you need your instructions to contain. I'm a true novice when it comes to digital art so it can't be assumed that I understand how to use even the basic ArtRage tools. I've literally painted myself in a confused corner as you could probably tell from my initial ArtRage attempts.

Since I want to learn the functions first, this sort of video was helpful to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpCV8-iK3E

For those who learn better 'hands-on', I've seen a few AR videos that skip the details and just show the overall painting process.

Drayldan, what exactly have you been entering for your searches?

Drayldan
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Hello Starry Eve,
Thanks for your post. :)

When searching for some painting 'walkthroughts' from Artrage, I use something like "artrage scripts" or "artrage painting scripts" but
it fails in general. I wish I saw just only one (good) painting demostration by someone else. I'm really curious how other artist paint their masterpieces from scratch.
I only heard (probably in this forum) is that these "painting scripts" takes too much space to be attached as files to this forum... :(
So where could I get those nice files and watch progression of painting ???

I'm not very beginner at AR (see my picture here (http://members.artrage.com/gallery_images/21385) ), but still I am willing to know more and more about this nice program.
The most unclear thing in AR is, for me, "stickers" system (creating, using, modyfing, etc.). It quite differs from real painting, doesn't it?

Someonesane
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Hello Starry Eve,
Thanks for your post. :)

When searching for some painting 'walkthroughts' from Artrage, I use something like "artrage scripts" or "artrage painting scripts" but
it fails in general. I wish I saw just only one (good) painting demostration by someone else. I'm really curious how other artist paint their masterpieces from scratch.
I only heard (probably in this forum) is that these "painting scripts" takes too much space to be attached as files to this forum... :(
So where could I get those nice files and watch progression of painting ???

I'm not very beginner at AR (see my picture here (http://members.artrage.com/gallery_images/21385) ), but still I am willing to know more and more about this nice program.
The most unclear thing in AR is, for me, "stickers" system (creating, using, modyfing, etc.). It quite differs from real painting, doesn't it?

What type of style though? A "good" art style can encompass numerous types of artwork (cartoon cell style, oil painting, watercolors, pencil, chalk, etc).

I've only made one full length script, which was of a glass blue bird. I didn't use any fancy tricks to do it though, it's mainly just the Oil Paint tool and setting changes.

○ This is the thread I originally created the image for: LINK (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?36021-Blue-Bird-of-Happiness-from-the-Ozarks)

○ This is the image that is created in the script: LINK (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57912&d=1311032396)

○ You may download the script here: LINK (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Blue%20Bird%20by%20SOS.arscript)
NOTE: Right click and select Save As to save the file, otherwise your browser may try to open it as a text file (trust me, you don't want that, because it could bog you system down to a halt).
Also keep in mind that this script is played back at actual speed. The entire thing will take around an hour and ten minutes to play out in full, so be ready to sit around for a while.

○ There's also a youtube video of this script playing, but it's sped up. This can be viewed here: LINK (http://youtu.be/QeTWbR05YNA)

Starry_Eve
01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Drayldan, I hope you've saved Someonesane's tutorial links because I expect it will help improve what you already know about AR! When I have the time to relax and watch it more carefully, I'm sure I'll learn something really useful and cool too! ^_^

Someonesane, is there anything about AR that you may still be attempting to master? I would think by this time, you've probably self-taught yourself every trick there is about the program. :)

Drayldan
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Hello, Someonesane!

Respect and thanks a lot for your help and video(s)! It was really pleasure to watch you while painting on ArtRage. :)
Could you tell me where I can find more scripts like this? It's weird those scripts are so hard to find....
I'm surprised about this because even users from OpenCanvas have released thousands pictures with (painting) scripts at their homepage (http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/?image_id=85505). :o

Someonesane
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Someonesane, is there anything about AR that you may still be attempting to master? I would think by this time, you've probably self-taught yourself every trick there is about the program.

lol, nah... There's always more to learn when it comes to art and programs that are used to produce it. There's a point where things slow down, but then you start picking up on the intricacies behind the features, and find even more things to learn.

Hello, Someonesane!

Respect and thanks a lot for your help and video(s)! It was really pleasure to watch you while painting on ArtRage.
Could you tell me where I can find more scripts like this? It's weird those scripts are so hard to find....
I'm surprised about this because even users from OpenCanvas have released thousands pictures with (painting) scripts at their homepage.

I wish I could I say I knew of a treasure trove of arscripts, unfortunately I just don't think many people are making use of them. A lot of people simply rely on screen capture programs to do the work, while a good amount of people probably just don't know how to use them, or don't feel that enough people would be interested in watching them. For example, if you were to make a video to post online, what's the first place you'd think to post it? Most likely the first thought you just had was YouTube, right? And that's because EVERYONE knows what it is, and where to find it. It's the same with art programs. Less people know of ArtRage, so when they go create something they want people to see, they're going to go to the programs that have the most viewers available.

However, as luck would have it I just happened to have made another script of an image today. It was just something I did for a different thread while testing something, but I figure it's better than nothing, right? It can be downloaded here - LINK (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Quick%20Paint%20-%20Tree.arscript). Be sure to Right Click and select Save As, or your browser may attempt to open it as a text document (which would be bad, considering the amount of data within it). You'll find the image that is created at the bottom of my post.

EDIT - I've made a video of the script, which can be viewed at YouTube HERE (http://youtu.be/6ilgjOSJOQ0). It's sped up though, so don't expect to gain any real procedural knowledge from it. It's mainly just for entertainment.

Someonesane
01-21-2013, 05:11 PM
For anyone looking to see the process sped up in video form, you can watch it at YouTube HERE (http://youtu.be/6ilgjOSJOQ0).

Steve B
01-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Not to go around tooting my own horn, but I have a series of video tutorial I've done for Artrage on YouTube. It's for painting with Watercolors, but I've heard that it's worked well as a learning tool for those who don't have a lot of experience in general in Artrage. I talk about a lot of different stuff- textures, settings, layers, etc It might be of some use. Here's the link. (http://www.youtube.com/user/cloudofwords1)

grayflo
01-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Steve, toot away all you like! You are not in any way self-promoting. You are generously giving us newbie numpties a kick-start in artrage. I know there ate many like me who appreciate the time you put in to doing these tutes. We can watch them again and again. Many thanks.

Drayldan
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
@Someonesane - thanx again for your help! I will have some nice time analysing your work. :) Perhaps you're right that people
tend to use more Youtube than these AR's script technique, but on the other hand I proved that users from other gfx-editors (like OpenCanvas) keep on posting their "animated steps" in this good old form. :)

@Steve B - you're welcome, of course! Thanks!! As I can see, you put tons of useful information on your YT channel. Keep it up!

And last questions to everybody here - it turned out there is (at least one) commercial training on ArtRage.
It is here http://www.photoshopcafe.com/video/products/introduction-to-artrage.htm and I'm very, very curious whether
anybody tried it yet? What do you think about it???

Starry_Eve
01-23-2013, 03:18 AM
Ooooh, that AR dvd looks promising!!! I'll research it some more, and if it contains the kind of detailed instructions I need, I might purchase it... Thanks, Drayldan!

grayflo
01-23-2013, 05:37 AM
And last questions to everybody here - it turned out there is (at least one) commercial training on ArtRage.
It is here http://www.photoshopcafe.com/video/p...to-artrage.htm (http://www.photoshopcafe.com/video/products/introduction-to-artrage.htm) and I'm very, very curious whether
anybody tried it yet? What do you think about it???

This man has a bundle of Youtube videos which, I suspect, may be elements from the DVD mentioned here.
Here is a link to one of his tutes, and it will give you a flavour of his depth and style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROz-MBvMwFA

PS I think tif this link works, you can see all his artrage tutes in one place here http://www.youtube.com/user/chrome291/videos?query=artrage

There are also some tutorials from Judith Tremayne on Youtube for Artrage Studio Pro 3.0
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1BFA55A7D06290FB

Starry_Eve
01-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Terrific links, grayflo! That AR dvd may really be worth investing in then, thank you!