PDA

View Full Version : African Woman

limey-g
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I thought I would try to do someone with a different coloured skin to see if I could get the tones something like right.
I did her shawl with a sticker brush to try and create the illusion of a rough fabric.
Geoff

gxhpainter2
12-19-2012, 09:39 AM
WOW Geoff you nailed this one. her skin tones are perfect and the lips and teeth are near photographic as is the clothing and background... one of you best... love how you are taking your favorite genre and exploring new areas and subjects. like the Tango and this one..:):)

pat1940
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
geoff, this is excellent work, you are really experimenting with your talent to great success

D Akey
12-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, this is a nice next step - racial specifics - especially dark skin. It's got some challenges of its own owing to keeping it rich in color yet letting the values work with the form. And this is exquisite. Very clear, and I love the overall orange as a compliment. And in addition to all that technical stuff, you really accentuated the personality which is great to manage. You've always done well at that since you lose so little from the original, and perhaps add some key stuff as well. The texture of that beige garment is phenomenal.

Love that background. She's gorgeous!

copespeak
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
What a truly lovely painting! She looks so real! :0)

byroncallas
12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, remarkable movement in your progression of these. This is wondeful, a thoroughly balanced portrait that seems to hit all the right spots.

semd74
12-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Excellent painting Geoff...Textures, shading and skin tones are perfect...WOW !!

limey-g
12-20-2012, 05:27 AM
WOW Geoff you nailed this one. her skin tones are perfect and the lips and teeth are near photographic as is the clothing and background... one of you best... love how you are taking your favorite genre and exploring new areas and subjects. like the Tango and this one..:):)

Thanks Gary glad you liked it, at least this time I did not have to do hair, that saved a few layers:)

geoff, this is excellent work, you are really experimenting with your talent to great success

Thanks Pat always appreciate your kind words.

Yes, this is a nice next step - racial specifics - especially dark skin. It's got some challenges of its own owing to keeping it rich in color yet letting the values work with the form. And this is exquisite. Very clear, and I love the overall orange as a compliment. And in addition to all that technical stuff, you really accentuated the personality which is great to manage. You've always done well at that since you lose so little from the original, and perhaps add some key stuff as well. The texture of that beige garment is phenomenal.

Love that background. She's gorgeous!

Thanks for that, the background was done over 3 layers and I always refer to my colour wheel for opposite colours, this time against the green of the scarf.
I was quite pleased with her upper garment, I have never really got into sticker brushes too much but certainly will be investigating more in the future.

What a truly lovely painting! She looks so real! :0)

Thank for your kind words very much appreciated.

Yes, remarkable movement in your progression of these. This is wondeful, a thoroughly balanced portrait that seems to hit all the right spots.

Thanks I think she worked out well, I was pleased with it.

Excellent painting Geoff...Textures, shading and skin tones are perfect...WOW !!

Thank you, it sure was different doing this kind of skin plus the different tones in the eyes

Thanks again everyone.
Geoff

Caesar
12-20-2012, 06:00 AM
You got a really super portrait. Expression and skin tones were superbly grasped!

limey-g
12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
You got a really super portrait. Expression and skin tones were superbly grasped!

Thanks Caesar glad you liked it, the skin tones sure were different.
Geoff

Fashmir
12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Beauty! I love her direct gaze and friendly aspect. That fabric is soooo well done. Very nice image Geoff.

limey-g
12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Beauty! I love her direct gaze and friendly aspect. That fabric is soooo well done. Very nice image Geoff.

Thank you for that, glad you liked it, I really enjoyed doing it.
Here's wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
Geoff

coops
12-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Beautiful painting of a beautiful lady, well done once again:)

limey-g
12-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Beautiful painting of a beautiful lady, well done once again:)
Thanks Katie, it was fun and a challenge to try a different ethnic subject, which has got me thinking as to what I should attempt next.
Best wishes.
Geoff

Marilyn Anne
12-22-2012, 02:20 AM
You have really succeeded in getting the skin tones and features just right.